Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Ghostnuke posted:

where are you at? I'm over in lawrence

I'm also in Lawrence. Where do you usually fish? I caught a nice 4lb 20.5" rainbow in Lake Henry last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

billy cuts posted:

I'm also in Lawrence. Where do you usually fish? I caught a nice 4lb 20.5" rainbow in Lake Henry last week.

That's where I got my big one too. Was this on Friday?

When I had a boat I'd go out on the lake, but I mostly stick to the ponds and river lately.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
They stock a few small ponds with trout over in KC. Brings out tons of folks so I tend to avoid. How big is lake Henry?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

pretty small honestly, it's more of a pond.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

my new "garage find" setup of my grandfather's 1920s(?) 7' Montague cane rod and my father in law's old Penn 309.

i plan to overhaul the Penn and slap some heavy mono on it to get some catfish or maybe to surf fish with for kicks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sarah Cenia posted:

my new "garage find" setup of my grandfather's 1920s(?) 7' Montague cane rod and my father in law's old Penn 309.

i plan to overhaul the Penn and slap some heavy mono on it to get some catfish or maybe to surf fish with for kicks

The Penn will be fine but I’d recommend just wall hanging the old pole. Better whole than busted and sad.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Ghostnuke posted:

That's where I got my big one too. Was this on Friday?

When I had a boat I'd go out on the lake, but I mostly stick to the ponds and river lately.

Yeah, it was on opening day at like 7am.

I've been fishing Clinton a lot more over the past few weeks, but usually split my time between Lonestar, Douglas, and Leavenworth.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Crab Dad posted:

The Penn will be fine but I’d recommend just wall hanging the old pole. Better whole than busted and sad.

mmm, you're probably right there.

I usually only really enjoy fishing with one pole and my goals are surf fishing and hopefully catching some catfish. is there a setup that will allow me to do both?
also I'm broke lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sarah Cenia posted:

I usually only really enjoy fishing with one pole and my goals are surf fishing and hopefully catching some catfish. is there a setup that will allow me to do both?
also I'm broke lol

There's a learning curve to casting a x09 reel but it's doable and with lighter line it's fine for surf fishing and catfish. Just finding the right stiff longish pole to toss a few ounces of lead and chunk bait.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

also I'm broke lol

You can use heavier freshwater spinning rods (like the kind you would use for catfish) for surf fishing with no issues. I do it all the time. Hell I even use a rod that is considered more of a medium spinning rod with 10lb test if all I'm targeting is Fluke.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

billy cuts posted:

Yeah, it was on opening day at like 7am.

I've been fishing Clinton a lot more over the past few weeks, but usually split my time between Lonestar, Douglas, and Leavenworth.

I think you were right next to me. I got mine with some powerbait and then you got that monster on a spoon?

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Ghostnuke posted:

I think you were right next to me. I got mine with some powerbait and then you got that monster on a spoon?

I caught that one on powerbait as well, but was also throwing a spinner. I was on the northwest bank, right where the lot ends basically.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

'nother nice one. 22.5", was fat enough i think it might be over 7 pounds.

been pulling up giants like this throwing at docks so i just ordered some fat ikas to mess around with back gliding. braid's starting to fray on my spinning reel so i got some new braid also (trying p-line spin-x cause i wanted something high-vis and i like the depth marker idea for tracking sink rates on finesse stuff), and to get free shipping at tackle warehouse i just threw in a vision 110 to mess around with

tackle warehouse doesn't have those listed as being a part of the jerkbait sale right now but it rung up as 20 rather than 25 in the cart so if you want to get some it might be a good time

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

god drat the vision 110 is really that good

it's dogshit weather today, 20mph sustained winds with 30+ gusts, senkos just drift in the water unnaturally and that bite is dead. i got one on the 110 on the second cast - it's easy to get the back and forth motion and just varying it a little bit lands fish. i'm sold.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Why does Santa label his fishing rods?

Cause Santa's reel.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Southern Cassowary posted:

god drat the vision 110 is really that good

it's dogshit weather today, 20mph sustained winds with 30+ gusts, senkos just drift in the water unnaturally and that bite is dead. i got one on the 110 on the second cast - it's easy to get the back and forth motion and just varying it a little bit lands fish. i'm sold.

What color lure and what color of water? I just got my first 110s this year and I really like fishing them. Besides the effectiveness, I'm enjoying jerkbait fishing in general. The cadence feels like a nice middle ground between the chuck-and-wind of a crankbait and fully working a walking bait. The strikes also feel more violent than the usual CB bite for me. I'm a real sucker for lures that look pretty and these are going to cost me so much money.

Question for the thread in general: Suppose you're at a spot you've caught fish in before and you're throwing a presentation you're reasonably confident in, but it's been 20 minutes with no bites. Relocating isn't really an option for whatever reason. Would you try a different color of the same lure or switch to an entirely different presentation?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ihop posted:

What color lure and what color of water? I just got my first 110s this year and I really like fishing them. Besides the effectiveness, I'm enjoying jerkbait fishing in general. The cadence feels like a nice middle ground between the chuck-and-wind of a crankbait and fully working a walking bait. The strikes also feel more violent than the usual CB bite for me. I'm a real sucker for lures that look pretty and these are going to cost me so much money.

Question for the thread in general: Suppose you're at a spot you've caught fish in before and you're throwing a presentation you're reasonably confident in, but it's been 20 minutes with no bites. Relocating isn't really an option for whatever reason. Would you try a different color of the same lure or switch to an entirely different presentation?

mat shad, clear water - about 8 feet of visibility. it was very cloudy today also. i tend to lean towards golds and oranges to emulate shiners since i live in florida - the natural colors that get the most aggressive strikes for me are usually houdini/sungill/copperfield and i've got rat-l-traps in bleeding shiner that also produce.

if i'm bank or dock fishing i'm only carrying a rod or two versus having several on the kayak, and that makes me lean toward more general baits that cover multiple parts of the water column - senkos sinking on the fall, speed worms with varied retrieves, etc. down here it's a bad day if i can't get bit on a senko and a speed worm, honestly - usually it's been really dreary/windy days where i have problems and 110s seem like they might be a good potential answer for that.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
The 110 and the 110+1 Jr are both great. I have other jerkbaits but hardly ever fish them because I don't have confidence in them like I do the 110. They catch numbers and they catch big ones.

ihop posted:

I think the most efficient thing would be to change presentation entirely, but sometimes I just want to fish a jerkbait or a swimbait or whatever so I'll try a different color. More often though I'm using a color change to catch fish on a presentation that I've been catching fish on. The other day I was catching them on a green pumpkin jig + trailer and decided to try the same thing with a black and blue color and ended up landing my biggest ever bass. It's an interesting topic, though. I've been getting into swimbait fishing some lately, and there are plenty of people who feel like the bite is all about action and that color/pattern hardly matters at all. I think we tend to draw too many conclusions from situations with lots of variables and a tiny sample size but that's fishin'.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

here's some fish I found in 2023.

Jackson Hole, WY > Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone River, MT (or maybe WY - I was right by the border) > Somewhere in the Cotswolds, England > Strawberry River, UT > Laguna Madre/South Padre Island, TX > Galveston, TX

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

can't say i expected to get a mayan cichlid on the 110 today but i'll take it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

can't say i expected to get a mayan cichlid on the 110 today but i'll take it

Pics? If you found a source of pure Mayans and not hybrids there are people out there who would love to go harvest.

Also they're apparently good eating.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Desert Bus posted:

Pics? If you found a source of pure Mayans and not hybrids there are people out there who would love to go harvest.

Also they're apparently good eating.

nah i was trying not to get hooked as i got the hooks out and it fell back in the lake. don't know enough to differentiate it from a hybrid - what do they hybridize with? i've seen tilapia in this lake also.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

nah i was trying not to get hooked as i got the hooks out and it fell back in the lake. don't know enough to differentiate it from a hybrid - what do they hybridize with? i've seen tilapia in this lake also.

Uhhh... Red Devils, Midas, Texas, etc. Pretty much any other CA cichlid and a few of the SA cichlids. Pure Mayans are getting kinda rare in the hobby and Florida has a LOT of abandoned fish farm ponds with ??? in them and random populations of ??? elsewhere due to floods and whatnot.

There are rumors of ponds containing things that have disappeared from the wild and the hobby that people jealously guard for purposes of conservation and/or capitalism.

I'd need to see pics and even then I doubt I could be 100% sure.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is like a small lake and not a pond, it's also got no public access, so there's not really a good way for anyone who wanted mayans for breeding stock to get at it. there are local fish farms around here so it's possible it's some remnant from a fish farm or someone's aquarium from decades ago. i think this cichlid has just set up shop around my dock, i've seen it out here before multiple times and tried figuring out what it was before it just happened to hit the jerkbait. if i catch it again i'll take photos.

i went out on the kayak for a bit to see if i could figure out how to throw the vision 110 sitting down. turns out you can tap the slack up rather than down at it works the same, so you can just hold the rod pointed up and out from you at about a 45 degree angle, tap the slack up and to the side, and you still get the back and forth motion. caught three bass that way on a quick trip.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

i went out on the kayak for a bit to see if i could figure out how to throw the vision 110 sitting down. turns out you can tap the slack up rather than down at it works the same, so you can just hold the rod pointed up and out from you at about a 45 degree angle, tap the slack up and to the side, and you still get the back and forth motion. caught three bass that way on a quick trip.

I wondered about that myself. I've only been throwing jerkbaits and walking baits since this fall and haven't gotten out in my kayak yet. I definitely prefer a downward chop for those techniques. You're throwing these on a bait caster? I've had trouble with spinning gear and poppers. Using an upward chop seems to allow loose loops to fall off the back of the spool. I have been meaning to ask this thread if anyone has experience or advice in this regard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ihop posted:

I wondered about that myself. I've only been throwing jerkbaits and walking baits since this fall and haven't gotten out in my kayak yet. I definitely prefer a downward chop for those techniques. You're throwing these on a bait caster? I've had trouble with spinning gear and poppers. Using an upward chop seems to allow loose loops to fall off the back of the spool. I have been meaning to ask this thread if anyone has experience or advice in this regard.

The jerkbait is my year round bait of choice for tons of species. I have thousands of hours throwing one.

The direction and orientation doesn’t matter that much. Sideways to down is just more optimal for the action. Don’t worry about this much even in a kayak. Lots of slack in the line vs less slack also doesn’t matter that much depending on the rod.

I find speed and cadence are way more important.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ihop posted:

i'm throwing on a spinning rod - my baitcasters are all medium-heavy or higher power with braid and would absolutely bend the hooks out on the 110. i initially experimented on it with my weightless senko spinning rod - 6'10" medium extra fast with braid to a fluoro leader, and it worked absolutely fine. i've messed around with techniques where it was obvious i was on the wrong rod - lost a bunch of fish throwing lipless on a medium-heavy worm rod with straight braid, for example - but this worked great. i had a 6'6" m/f spinning rod and a pfleuger president i wasn't doing anything with, so i just tossed braid to fluoro on that and i like the shorter length and slightly softer action even more so it's now just my dedicated jerkbait rod. honestly don't really feel a huge need to experiment with baitcasters for this technique, spinning rods bomb the 110 straight into the wind and land fish well.

i didn't have any issues with loose loops coming off the spool on tapping upwards on the kayak, but i suspect braid might be helping with that as well as reeling in slack until right before the line is taut before tapping. i mess around with cadence and speed but right now i'm getting the best results with three taps on 1-2 second pauses.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

this is like a small lake and not a pond, it's also got no public access, so there's not really a good way for anyone who wanted mayans for breeding stock to get at it. there are local fish farms around here so it's possible it's some remnant from a fish farm or someone's aquarium from decades ago. i think this cichlid has just set up shop around my dock, i've seen it out here before multiple times and tried figuring out what it was before it just happened to hit the jerkbait. if i catch it again i'll take photos.

People will go to literal war zones to collect fish and Florida has some weird poo poo going on. Please do get pics if you can, thanks!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
do I get two of the Ugly Stik GX2 for the wife and I to go bank fishing with, or do I get the "catfish special" beefier versions of the Ugly Stik?

my only real goal is to catch some dinner. I'm not really after huge trophy catfish or whatever. but I can't determine if the GX2 would be enough for general use, or if I should get the catfish rods since they're rated for higher weight (1-3oz vs like 1/4 to 3/4 oz I believe on the GX2). I might wanna go pier fishing or something eventually.

is the possible greater sensitivity of the GX2 even really something I'll notice as an amateur?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sarah Cenia posted:

do I get two of the Ugly Stik GX2 for the wife and I to go bank fishing with, or do I get the "catfish special" beefier versions of the Ugly Stik?

my only real goal is to catch some dinner. I'm not really after huge trophy catfish or whatever. but I can't determine if the GX2 would be enough for general use, or if I should get the catfish rods since they're rated for higher weight (1-3oz vs like 1/4 to 3/4 oz I believe on the GX2). I might wanna go pier fishing or something eventually.

is the possible greater sensitivity of the GX2 even really something I'll notice as an amateur?

I feel like rods for catfishing are not very meaningful. My favorites are the old white ugly sticks that were like 20 bucks. Anything with catfish in the marketing and affordable is going to be fine. The reel is also going to just be preference. Spinning for bait casting is fine and your only concern is line capacity if you are using basic mono (I like cheap red Cajun)

My ultimate catfish rod combo would be Piscifun Chaos XS Baitcasting from Amazon and a 6’6 catfish single piece ugly stick as cheap as I could find it anywhere.

I can reinforce enough that about anything you buy is going to be fine. Getting good bait is way more important that rod reel choices. Getting out there and fishing is way more important in the catfishing world.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

east-nc-fishing.jpg

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What are y'all MFs using for tackle boxes or bags these days?
I currently have a Plano 737 https://www.planooutdoors.com/threedrawer-tackle-box-1592829
And its pretty great, carries everything I need and I have some replacement latches for it that I got for free cause Plano has a lifetime warranty on poo poo.

BUUUUUTTTTTT, its big, bulky and heavy.

I tend to carry EVERYTHING in that. I hate the idea of having multiple boxes for stuff when I can carry everything in one.
My brother has a bunch of bags and organizes stuff by species. Bass, pike, muskie; Salmon, trout; stream/fly fishing and so on and just brings whatever he needs for whatever he's trying to get, but I don't fish enough, or know enough to do that. I'm one of those jerkoffs that won't be getting poo poo so I'll get bored and start throwing a cleo for bass, or a spinner bait for salmon or some dumb poo poo like that.

I guess what I'm getting at, is a box with a handle is bulky and awkward to handle and drag around, especially through the woods or some poo poo like that and I hate the idea of not having everything together so I can do dumb stuff like I mentioned above. So whats everyone's opinion on tackle backpacks? Something I can sling over my shoulders and keep my hands free for other things?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

there are a whole bunch of companies that make sling bags and backpacks that fit the various standard plano sizes

if it were me i'd just toss some 3700s in a normal backpack. i got one of these spro boxes and i like it: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/SPRO_Box_Waterproof_Tackle_Tray_3700/descpage-SWBT3700.html

it's cheap, it's waterproof, and removing the last row makes the bottom the perfect size to stuff in some plastic worm bags. it does the day box holding plastic worm bags thing better than the plano boxes purpose built for that and it's my favorite cheaper utility box.

i'm kind of eyeballing the buzbe colony stuff as i get deeper into fishing and start signing up for tournaments and stuff but it's definitely expensive.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So I'm visiting Sedona, AZ this spring and I see online that Oak Creek, which runs right through town, is by all accounts one of the better trout streams in the state. Native brookies and stocked rainbows. I have zero fly experience but am interested in catching some trout. i need light and packable tackle so I can get through airports easily. Checking out people's pics/videos from the area makes the water look pretty small and tight. would tenkara be a good fit for what I'm trying to do? spinning rods are an option but probably for only certain holes.

someone point me in the right direction for portable fly gear, ty

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hooplah posted:

So I'm visiting Sedona, AZ this spring and I see online that Oak Creek, which runs right through town, is by all accounts one of the better trout streams in the state. Native brookies and stocked rainbows. I have zero fly experience but am interested in catching some trout. i need light and packable tackle so I can get through airports easily. Checking out people's pics/videos from the area makes the water look pretty small and tight. would tenkara be a good fit for what I'm trying to do? spinning rods are an option but probably for only certain holes.

someone point me in the right direction for portable fly gear, ty

Honestly if you don’t plan on taking up fly fishing outside your visit, I’d just find the closest fly shop or guides and see what they offer for rentals. You could get your foot in the door buying all your own stuff for a couple hundred bucks but it’d just go to waste when you pack it up and never use it again.

325 for a full day of guided fly fishing with Orvis gear https://sedonaflyfishingadventures.com/book-fishing-tours-from-sedona

If that’s not a route you want to take you could try Reddington Field Kits who have a really good 5wt combo that is setup for trout. Orvis has the Clearwater which is also a really good mid level entry point. You might want to step down to 4wt if the water is small.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 23, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On the topic of flyfishing, I was really into it when I was like 12-13 years old (30 years ago) and I was REALLY into tying flies. I was a weird kid. But then I discovered weed and girls and basically stopped fishing until a few years ago. Recently my dad asked me if I wanted my old fly rod that he had in storage since the 90s and now that I'm an angler again I said absolutely as Id be interested in getting back into fly fishing. The cool thing was when I got the rod it still had the very last fly that I tied still on the line.

I was pretty good at tying flies when I was a kid.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

On the topic of flyfishing, I was really into it when I was like 12-13 years old (30 years ago) and I was REALLY into tying flies. I was a weird kid. But then I discovered weed and girls and basically stopped fishing until a few years ago. Recently my dad asked me if I wanted my old fly rod that he had in storage since the 90s and now that I'm an angler again I said absolutely as Id be interested in getting back into fly fishing. The cool thing was when I got the rod it still had the very last fly that I tied still on the line.

I was pretty good at tying flies when I was a kid.

I was really, really into fishing as a kid in elementary school, but took like.... 30 years off. I just started fly fishing this summer, mostly learning off YouTube, guys at the fly shop and a friend. Here's my PB

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

What are y'all MFs using for tackle boxes or bags these days?
I currently have a Plano 737 https://www.planooutdoors.com/threedrawer-tackle-box-1592829
And its pretty great, carries everything I need and I have some replacement latches for it that I got for free cause Plano has a lifetime warranty on poo poo.

BUUUUUTTTTTT, its big, bulky and heavy.

I tend to carry EVERYTHING in that. I hate the idea of having multiple boxes for stuff when I can carry everything in one.
My brother has a bunch of bags and organizes stuff by species. Bass, pike, muskie; Salmon, trout; stream/fly fishing and so on and just brings whatever he needs for whatever he's trying to get, but I don't fish enough, or know enough to do that. I'm one of those jerkoffs that won't be getting poo poo so I'll get bored and start throwing a cleo for bass, or a spinner bait for salmon or some dumb poo poo like that.

I guess what I'm getting at, is a box with a handle is bulky and awkward to handle and drag around, especially through the woods or some poo poo like that and I hate the idea of not having everything together so I can do dumb stuff like I mentioned above. So whats everyone's opinion on tackle backpacks? Something I can sling over my shoulders and keep my hands free for other things?

We use a Yeti Loadout box for the boat and to keep most of the stuff in, and use a backpack when just going to fish off the beach and ponds and stuff, this one works great actually.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V42WRWJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

prepping for a kayak tournament next weekend. been throwing a mix of senko and jerkbait and catching them on both.

local shop stocks berkley so i got a stunna to try. even though it's, uh, very inspired by the 110, they're kind of different baits. the stunna slow sinks versus the 110 slow floating and it comes through the water at a consistent depth easier, but it's easier to run the 110 above submerged grass because the floating+the different hooks make it get hung up less. it's easier to get wide, erratic jerks with the 110 - you feel the point where the line goes taut much more easily, and it lunges through the water more aggressively. comparatively, the stunna's action is more subtle and ever so slightly hard to get into a groove with.

the most interesting thing of all, to me, is i get a lot of fish on the 110 where the bass swiped at it and missed, hooking itself on the outside. comparatively, they don't miss the stunna as much - most of them come up with two trebles in the mouth.

if you're a jerkbait crazy there's a place for both, i think, and i'll probably have a mix of both going forward. they both catch fish so if you want to just save ten bucks per bait the stunna works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
My father in laws birthday is coming up soonish, thinking of getting him a multitool to take fishing, preferably something leatherman or victorinox. My experience with fishing amounts to trying to get a dead goldfish out of a pond so ideas about which models would suit would be awesome.