Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really don’t know how anyone ever got the impression that that character had survived. There was no foreshadowing or hinting. Surviving would have killed that emotional gut punch. It’s narratively better that they died there and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ytlaya posted:

Upset that this seems to confirm Aoki is dead. IIRC it was heavily implied but we didn't actually see his death confirmed in LAD7 which often indicates survival.

Yeah, there was zero indication that the man survived and doing so would be one of the lamest "twists" in a series where a dead character has an identical twin that works for the CIA.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Upset that this seems to confirm Aoki is dead. IIRC it was heavily implied but we didn't actually see his death confirmed in LAD7 which often indicates survival.

Wasn't one of the final scenes at his funeral???

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Arist posted:

Yup!

Y:LAD ENDING CUTSCENE SPOILERS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Only barely related but remembering fake pre-release spoilers for LAD/7 where the reason Joon Gi Han survived is because Koreans can transfer their souls, and this not breaking suspension of disbelief for this series.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The truth of that is equally fantastical if a bit more grounded in reality tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, there was zero indication that the man survived and doing so would be one of the lamest "twists" in a series where a dead character has an identical twin that works for the CIA.

Arist posted:

Means nothing in Yakuza!

(I did forget about that scene though, I just remembered Ichiban carrying him off after being stabbed)

There are two main reasons I wanted him to be alive:
- Ichiban wanted him to live and it's sad that they had just begun reconciling
- From the LAD8 trailers it seems like Sawashiro might be some sort of antagonist (or in league with the antagonists somehow), and if that's the case I imagine it's linked to Aoki dying, which is not a plot point I want to happen

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

There are two main reasons I wanted him to be alive:
- Ichiban wanted him to live and it's sad that they had just begun reconciling

If you're looking for a happy ending in a crime/gangster/yakuza story, you're in the wrong genre.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

Also missing: any women.

Yeah, the specific thing it says is "in memory of fallen men" so I guess they kinda pre-empted that a lil, not a great excuse though! I'd light the incense for (y4 spoilers)Yasuko Saejima, she got erased from everyone's memory too drat fast

It's such a funny idea though, imagine trying to memorialise the unimportant guy in Yakuza 2 who tried to cop off with Daigo's mum and got shot in the head about it

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 13, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
How dare you, that man was the second Patriarch of the Nishikiyama Family! You'd better pay respect to the name of...um...gimme a minute, I've got it jotted down here somewhere...Koji...Shitto?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Guy with Sword

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
A brave fallen warrior and lover of milfs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Kojiro posted:

Yeah, the specific thing it says is "in memory of fallen men" so I guess they kinda pre-empted that a lil, not a great excuse though! I'd light the incense for (y4 spoilers)Yasuko Saejima, she got erased from everyone's memory too drat fast

She had to die because there was no way to reconcile her becoming a serial killer to wipe away an obviously fake debt that she was also getting a loan for by becoming a club's #1 hostess in the span of three days because a magical money man has fallen in love with her because she looks exactly like his former bank girlfriend

just typing all that made my head hurt

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

This series is at its best when it’s plots are dumb as hell.

I’m playing lost judgement for the first time and this 40 year old man sneaking into high school on a skateboard to beat up a bunch of high schoolers while lecturing them about bullying is filling me with the purest glee

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This series is at its best when it’s plots are dumb as hell.

I’m playing lost judgement for the first time and this 40 year old man sneaking into high school on a skateboard to beat up a bunch of high schoolers while lecturing them about bullying is filling me with the purest glee

i really need to start the judgement games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You’ll probably be disappointed by the first game, it actually has a mostly coherent, sensical plot. Well, significantly more sensical than the usual post-Y2 RGG stories.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kojiro posted:

Oh what's that, who missing though? Yeah that's right. Goda game real

goddamn right

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mycot posted:

Only barely related but remembering fake pre-release spoilers for LAD/7 where the reason Joon Gi Han survived is because Koreans can transfer their souls, and this not breaking suspension of disbelief for this series.

wasnt "fake" persay, more like someone misunderstanding the text after a bad fan translation

still real to me tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Got pretty lucky against Isobe I think

:shepicide: I'll take it!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wish Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth released before Winter Break (which I get a full week off for because I work for a university).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ytlaya posted:

I wish Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth released before Winter Break (which I get a full week off for because I work for a university).

Pretty sure this only works if you finish the dragon ball quest in gaiden first

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the dub is out, watched a youtube video of The Performance scene, and, like, eh. Young Yea does a mediocre performance. Which is better than the other clips I had seen, but just from the most generous perspective I can't give it to the dub when the lead is doign an 11/10 performance in one track and an okay 6 on the other. My heart torn to pieces on the original while going "he could've sound more hurt on this word to 'transition' into a more normal speaking voice so it feels like he's barely collecting himself instead of kinda resetting" on the dub.

Anyway, the main thing watching that scene confirms to me is that 7's dub will be undefeated because there they had the time and resources to make the script sound much more natural and not have the actors even have to consider lip flaps, while the dub of Gaiden they do match the tempo of the japanese script, leading it to sound more like a regular english dub of an anime, which can still be good! but not as good as having the extra half year to polish it up to the kiwami.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just did a substory where Ichiban met a masochist who couldn't feel pain anymore, so Ichiban got the masochist's mother to come give him a dressing down hoping that would count as "pain", and it ends with Ichiban sitting depressed on a swing next to the masochist because they both feel like poo poo after the mother aired all her grievances :kiss:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jerusalem posted:

Just did a substory where Ichiban met a masochist who couldn't feel pain anymore, so Ichiban got the masochist's mother to come give him a dressing down hoping that would count as "pain", and it ends with Ichiban sitting depressed on a swing next to the masochist because they both feel like poo poo after the mother aired all her grievances :kiss:

So many amazing substories in 7 :allears:

speaking of, a few synopsis on substories in 8, click at your own peril, the first picture when you scroll down made me scream
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/12/like-a-dragon-infinite-wealth-details-substories-personality-stats-and-bond-level

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"We could live strappily ever after!" :vince:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Jerusalem posted:

That scene made me laugh so goddamn hard it was incredible.

They just look so, so defeated

MorningMoon posted:

speaking of, a few synopsis on substories in 8, click at your own peril, the first picture when you scroll down made me scream
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/12/like-a-dragon-infinite-wealth-details-substories-personality-stats-and-bond-level
Banging the table in excitement over the idea of Seong Hui and Kiryu hanging out and doing the drink links together

Solenna fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 15, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

It's going to be so good. Just sounds like hyper-LAD7, which I already enjoyed.

Even though I doubt it, I wonder if there will be an option to have the American characters speak in English while the Japanese ones speak in Japanese. Like with the Danny Trejo character you apparently get the actual actor in the dub, and it'd be nice to get the best of both worlds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ytlaya posted:

Even though I doubt it, I wonder if there will be an option to have the American characters speak in English while the Japanese ones speak in Japanese. Like with the Danny Trejo character you apparently get the actual actor in the dub, and it'd be nice to get the best of both worlds.

At the very least the various American enemies and vendors in Hawaii speak English, which I thought was a nice touch. Very reminiscent of Andre Richardson in Y3 lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I am very curious to see how this plays out.

Are all of the major figures in the Hawaii underground assumed fluent in both Japanese and English? Or is it going to be a "canonically they would be speaking English, but we're just having them speak Japanese for sake of the audience"? But if the latter is the case, how would they be communicating with Kasuga, if not through an intermediary?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Are all of the major figures in the Hawaii underground assumed fluent in both Japanese and English? Or is it going to be a "canonically they would be speaking English, but we're just having them speak Japanese for sake of the audience"? But if the latter is the case, how would they be communicating with Kasuga, if not through an intermediary?

I imagine it'll just be like how not-Michael Jackson could speak Japanese in Y0, or pretty much every other American who shows up and is basically fluent in Japanese outside of maybe having a goofy affect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kasuga will meet a game translator who talks to him about translating Dragon Quest and suddenly he will hallucinate the ability to switch between Japanese and English.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Kasuga will meet a game translator who talks to him about translating Dragon Quest and suddenly he will hallucinate the ability to switch between Japanese and English.

He has no idea what anyone is saying until he bumps into Nick Ogata on vacation

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Eh if every single major korean and chinese character can speak fluent japanese, I assume the big players in hawaii can as well. It fits with the established goofiness.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
So this is a hand after I pon'ed that 9 thinking it would be a ron. My hand was closed prior to the pon. Can anyone explain why I couldn't ron here? I noticed before this, too, that it wasn't letting me riichi. Usually when that happens I discarded something I needed to win, which as I understand is furiten, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this round.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You simply don't have a yaku and can't go out.

You've got two identical sequences, but that's only a yaku if your hand is closed. The winds would also be a yaku if west was the round wind or your seat wind.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Arzaac posted:

You simply don't have a yaku and can't go out.

You've got two identical sequences, but that's only a yaku if your hand is closed. The winds would also be a yaku if west was the round wind or your seat wind.

I thought having a concealed hand was a yaku in itself for some reason. Just looked at a list of yaku. If I drew the 9 myself could I have won with menzenchin tsumohou?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I thought having a concealed hand was a yaku in itself for some reason. Just looked at a list of yaku. If I drew the 9 myself could I have won with menzenchin tsumohou?

You pon'd the 9s, so your hand is no longer concealed. Yes, if you drew it yourself, you'd have menzen tsumo for 1 han.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

So this is a hand after I pon'ed that 9 thinking it would be a ron. My hand was closed prior to the pon. Can anyone explain why I couldn't ron here? I noticed before this, too, that it wasn't letting me riichi. Usually when that happens I discarded something I needed to win, which as I understand is furiten, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this round.

You should still be able to call riichi if your hand is fully concealed regardless of furiten -- you just won't be able to win off of someone else's discard. The time to do it would have been before you pon'd the 9s, when I assume you were holding the loose 5s.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 16, 2023

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

canoshiz posted:

You pon'd the 9s, so your hand is no longer concealed. Yes, if you drew it yourself, you'd have menzen tsumo for 1 han.

You should still be able to call riichi if your hand is fully concealed regardless of furiten -- you just won't be able to win off of someone else's discard. The time to do it would have been before you pon'd the 9s, when I assume you were holding the loose 5s.

I poned the 9 this turn thinking I could ron and discarded the 5 (edit: i was wrong as you can see i have not discarded yet) My hand was concealed before that. I tried to riichi the two turns before thinking all i needed was a 9 or 7. Sorry, I still am not sure I understand. So even with a concealed hand you need a yaku? And you can’t riichi if you’re going for menzen tsumo?

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 16, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine it'll just be like how not-Michael Jackson could speak Japanese in Y0, or pretty much every other American who shows up and is basically fluent in Japanese outside of maybe having a goofy affect.

Mordiceius posted:

He went to the vocational school come on. Go! Go! Believe yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I poned the 9 this turn thinking I could ron and discarded the 5. My hand was concealed before that. I tried to riichi the two turns before thinking all i needed was a 9 or 7. Sorry, I still am not sure I understand. So even with a concealed hand you need a yaku? And you can’t riichi if you’re going for menzen tsumo?

Yup, your hand was closed at the time that the person to your left discarded a 9s. You were in tenpai (1 tile away from winning), but did not have a valid yaku at that moment, so you could only pon instead of ron. If you drew the 9s yourself, like you said, then you could have won with tsumo as the yaku for your hand. You cannot pon and then call ron immediately afterwards, since this is basically like taking 2 actions in 1 turn. You definitely could have called riichi prior to this (not sure why you said you couldn't) and that would have given you the riichi yaku, so when the guy to your left dropped the 9s, you would have then been prompted to call ron. You can still tsumo while in riichi, but having a fully closed hand in tenpai just gives you the option of not having to fully commit to riichi, which is situationally useful (mainly protecting a lead and playing defensively, or if riichi-ing wouldn't add meaningful value to your hand).

edit OH I just looked at your score. You couldn't riichi because that requires ante-ing up 1000 points (you only have 300). That animation that plays when you riichi? That's Kiryu putting a 1000 point stick on the table.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 16, 2023