Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Paper Tiger posted:

reylo esports alternate universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
PYF Schadenfreude: reylo esports alternate universe

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

Not calling you out on this but it still sounds like it should be bullshit. Pretty hosed up thing for reality to pull on us.

Nah, our brains lie to us constantly. About everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

snergle posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Yucateco-XXXtra-Habanero-Sauce-Foods/dp/B00ICT42CI

not super spicy but its hot and tasty it is the upper limit of my spice limit so its not tapatio or something either

Thank you and the other goon for the tasty spice recommendations. Cheers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://www.polygon.com/24002666/dota-2-frostivus-2023-bans-valve-toxic-lump-coal

Valve decided to ban cheaters in the funniest way possible.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Holy lol :perfect:

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

snergle posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Yucateco-XXXtra-Habanero-Sauce-Foods/dp/B00ICT42CI

not super spicy but its hot and tasty it is the upper limit of my spice limit so its not tapatio or something either

Another thanks for this recommendation. My go to is the green yucateco and I need to order more anyway so ill be trying this one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's video of a live stream where a player gets banned.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Air Skwirl posted:

A professional player who has played for pro teams at The International, no less.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Trying to get sympathy at Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/18isfk7/hey_everyone_mason_here_about_my_ban_and_how_im/

tl;dr: "It's not fair"

quote:

I feel like I should write something down somewhere, and since I think twitter only does threads and you have to view each thread, I feel like it's a bit messy and this may be a better place for it. Everyone is entilted to their opinion.

Hey everyone, masondota2 here, Valve tonight perm banned my dota 2 account. I have no idea if that means I can never play Dota again (if they will ban every account I play on from here on out), but I hope that isn't the case. Onto why I was banned and how I feel.

About a month ago, I kept having very varied player behavior score reports, sometimes I would go up to 8k and be able to use my mic and coordinate with my team and it really gave me a good feeling, I felt like I was winning more too and it was just overall a more pleasant experience to play tryharding to my fullest capabiltiies, but usually soon after I would drop below 8k communication score and unable to use my mic. I found games to be much harder to play and win and much less enjoyable when I couldn't try as hard as I wanted to. Using my mic and just communicating is an integral part of Dota, especailly as the game has become more team oriented over the last few years.

This made me upset and even though at times I truly tried everything in my power to be "PMA" or simply non inflammatory (never typing or doing anyhting like pinging my allies when they make mistakes), it seemed like my behavior score kept dropping no matter what I did. I soon went to 7k score, to 6k score, and then right below 6k, 5950~. MOST OF THE TIME (I'm not perfect and never will claim to be) I genuinely believe I was trying to be a decent teammate, there were even times where someone in my team would call me dogshit or blame me for no reason and I would just say "yeah that was my fault, my bad, but just keep playing", or someone first picking carrying, never engaging with the game, and no1 flaming or saying anything to them and they would just give up over 1 death and I wouldn't even say anything like "report this guy" or "you're so bad at carry why'd you take the role". Imagine this over dozens of games, I just got incredibly frustrated with my inability to talk to my teammates or that I was in some shadow pool. Everyone seemed insanely toxic and there seemed no escape. I wasn't enjoying my games very much.

Out of frustration and trying to be a good guy for most the of time and it seemingly having no effect (in fact, my comm/behavior score was DROPPING during this time), I decided to buy a behavior score boost. The booster did about 1 day/10~ games or so and I believe I received 200 communication score. I went from 6k~ to 6.2k~. After 1 day of this, I decided I didn't really want to do this, I'd rather just play dota 2 and whatever happens to my behavior score happens to it. I made a mistake in trying to fix my problem through someone else, I admit that, and while I can sit here and say things like "it was only 9 other people who wanted the same things in those games, no one was hurt/games ruined" or "my communication score didn't even change, I stopped it before I gained 2k+", I still did do something I shouldn'tve and I do apologize. I apologize because whether I like it or not, I'm a streamer and my actions are seen and heard by thousands of people, and if I show them this is ok and this is how you deal with your problems, I've failed. This is absolutely the wrong way to deal with your problems.

I've played Dota for 13 years. I have never once cheated, never abused a bug, never abused any sort of MMR tricks (language queue, feeding for someone else, etc)... I care about the integrity of the game, Dota is a game I truly enjoy and appreciate. Hell, I don't even smurf because I just don't like playing vs people who are much worse than me, I don't think its fair to them and I don't think it's a good use of my time. I love the competitive aspect of Dota, infact, it's what led me to do this behavior score boost thing, I just wanted to play good games again and be able to talk to my teammates so we could do the most we could to win. I'm not trying to justify it, absolutely not, I'm just trying to show you what went on in my mind.

Over the past month, I've been doing really well in my games and trying harder, sadly my communication score does not reflect this behavior. My behavior score has gonme up over the last 3 weeks by a bit as you can see but sadly my communication score hardly moves, and even sometimes goes down while my behavior score goes up

https://gyazo.com/b3f9292cf71eee3ef2a1192583048eb9 https://gyazo.com/9012c66322a53803673f3a3da7e4163d

I have 80% winrate and am trying very hard to win my games and be a good player and also be a good teammate. But I have accepted that the system clearly deems there's something wrong with me and instead of trying to fix it by using some boost or trying to game the system, I'm just playing good dota and trying my best and hopefully it goes up... or rather I was until I was banned.

Dota is a game I will always love and look at as the best competitive game to ever exist. My fondest memories in Dota 2, and honestly even my life, have got to be winning the very first Summit, going to TI for the first time, casting at The Summit (my first and only [xd] caster event), and getting top 10 on stream. I completely understand what I did was wrong, and I know it's a hard ask, but I'm asking for leniency. I have never in my 13 years of playing Dota 2 ever done anything like this, and when I realized it felt wrong and was the wrong way to go about things, I stopped it, sadly you can't undo a mistake you made. I'm asking for a second chance, because I will never do anything like this again, and I never have in the past. There are no excuses, it was something born out of frustration but we all get frustrated and disappointed in our situation sometimes, doens't mean we get to bend the rules. I would love to keep streaming Dota 2 and getting back to Top 10 (no cap). Thanks for listening to me, have a good day mis amigos.
Response:

quote:

You tried to behave for DOZENS of games? That must of been really hard. Dozens of your 10,000+ games. Really went above and beyond. I'm convinced Valve, he tried to not be toxic for DAYS of his 13 years in the game and didn't instantly gain thousands of behaviour score. The system was clearly broken. What more can we ask of people.

quote:

I literally watched your stream the other day and you were flaming non stop being toxic as gently caress. Bro, you know you do this.

You are toxic for years and years by choice and now you don't have a choice. You rationalized it by saying it was a character, for the memes for the stream whatever. Now you actually can't play you are all of a sudden changed?

Nah bro, it doesn't work like that. You boast about other income streams that you have, looks like you now rely on them.

I hope you find fulfillment in other ways.

quote:

You actively contributed in making the game the toxic cesspool that it is. Then you cheated to get around the punishment designed to help the game become less toxic. Now you’re crying because you got caught and punished.

None of this sounds a little ridiculous to you?

100% deserved

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulFrozenLaptopMcaT-u70lacgn1Q8z8DzN
It's pretty delicious indeed. You can't see it unless you click through to the actual clips page, but even his chat was laughing their asses off at him. Amusing to see him write a diatribe about how unfair him getting banned is, despite his behavior deliberately making the game worse for new players. You could argue he was in fact doing a service to mankind by putting people off Dota, but it's still pretty funny.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ruflux posted:

It's pretty delicious indeed. You can't see it unless you click through to the actual clips page, but even his chat was laughing their asses off at him. Amusing to see him write a diatribe about how unfair him getting banned is, despite his behavior deliberately making the game worse for new players. You could argue he was in fact doing a service to mankind by putting people off Dota, but it's still pretty funny.

God, alongside the "bloo bloo I didn't deserve this :("-post this is just so good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I don't know the guy or his audience, but I like to think the chat brought up the gift knowing what would happen. Very funny.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought I’d be a 19 yr old but it’s some 35 yr old dude lmao

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I don't know the guy or his audience, but I like to think the chat brought up the gift knowing what would happen. Very funny.
At best, streamers seem to have a contentious relationship with their chatters, at worst it's actively toxic.

Good thing it's a platform that takes its responsibility for its young audience very seriously. Oh wait..

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love how obviously his reaction shows that he knows he deserves it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Its alot like what we did with forums culture at that age except we didn't have a built in main character for every thread

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Wait there is literally a score in the game designed to quantify and reward acting reasonably?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

At best, streamers seem to have a contentious relationship with their chatters, at worst it's actively toxic.

Good thing it's a platform that takes its responsibility for its young audience very seriously. Oh wait..

Really depends on the streamers.

One of the few ones i'll watch every now and again is very much not contentious.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

lmao

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Wait there is literally a score in the game designed to quantify and reward acting reasonably?

Dota 2 players are hideous toxic sludge

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ruflux posted:

I like how he noticed that the ban was in effect until 1/18 but didn't notice that it was 1/18/2038.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I like how he noticed that the ban was in effect until 1/18 but didn't notice that it was 1/18/2038.

lol even Something Awful moved beyond the Unix Time limitation on probations

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
From what I gather, you "smurf" by intentionally making your stats look bad, so that you can play lower-skilled players for money, and do like a surprise poolshark move on them to win money?

gently caress those guys.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

One of the few ones i'll watch every now and again is very much not contentious.

I recently started watching beaglesurh play XCOM on Twitch again and it's just lots of jokes and memes in his chat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

No it's just tanking your rating or making a new account so you can use your skill to basically solo carry and have a 99% win rate then you either make a new smurf or you re-tank the rating. You don't do this on main. There's no money

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dota 2 players are hideous toxic sludge

Honestly, MOBAs in general seem designed to bring out the worst in people.

Like, consider the game structure: a typical match is 30-60 minutes, you can't leave early, and it's usually clear who's winning well before they actually win. So in about half your games (if matchmaking is working right) you're going to spending a significant amount of time knowing you're going to lose and unable to do anything about it. That's frustrating in itself.

Now consider the team structure. It's a 3-5 player team, which is a small enough number that even one player not pulling their weight can drag down the entire team. It's also small enough that you can usually have at least a vague idea of what's going on in the game as a whole rather than just your corner of it. That makes finding scapegoats for why your team isn't doing well a really inviting prospect!

On top of that, the last-hit rule most MOBAs inherit from Warcraft 3 is a lovely way to engender intra-party conflict even if everything is going well, and the fact that it's all matchmade pickup games means you generally have no prior relationship with the players and will never see them again once the game is over, unlike server-based multiplayer where you tend to get to know the other server regulars over time.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Rip tf2 community servers

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Driving sucks because it requires cooperation between strangers who can only barely communicate with each other, and therefore playing MOBAs sucks even harder because it requires cooperation between strangers who can only barely communicate with each other, so that they may compete against other groups of strangers who can only barely communicate with each other

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Is it someone you'd recommend?

Because I like watching streamers who're chill, and not having a contentious or toxic relationship with the chatters is usually a pretty good indicator.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Because I like watching streamers who're chill, and not having a contentious or toxic relationship with the chatters is usually a pretty good indicator.

Day[9] is a treasure. Just an absolutely lovely guy, and very entertaining.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Honestly, MOBAs in general seem designed to bring out the worst in people.

Like, consider the game structure: a typical match is 30-60 minutes, you can't leave early, and it's usually clear who's winning well before they actually win. So in about half your games (if matchmaking is working right) you're going to spending a significant amount of time knowing you're going to lose and unable to do anything about it. That's frustrating in itself.

Now consider the team structure. It's a 3-5 player team, which is a small enough number that even one player not pulling their weight can drag down the entire team. It's also small enough that you can usually have at least a vague idea of what's going on in the game as a whole rather than just your corner of it. That makes finding scapegoats for why your team isn't doing well a really inviting prospect!

On top of that, the last-hit rule most MOBAs inherit from Warcraft 3 is a lovely way to engender intra-party conflict even if everything is going well, and the fact that it's all matchmade pickup games means you generally have no prior relationship with the players and will never see them again once the game is over, unlike server-based multiplayer where you tend to get to know the other server regulars over time.

I love it so much

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Day[9] is a treasure. Just an absolutely lovely guy, and very entertaining.
Day9 has been around since the StarCraft pro-tournaments back in the day, I remember him well.
He's also the streamer who's been on Twitch the longest (his live-streaming predates Twitch, he was active on Justin.tv if memory serves).

I assumed it was someone relatively unknown.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I don't really follow twitch, but I play & watch a bunch of Starcraft 1&2. I've noticed that Tasteless, a famous Esports caster/commentator, streams his practice games and sometimes dips into other titles, like Vaolrant etc. He's very relaxed and cheerfully self-deprecating/humble, as is appropriate for his middling skill, and his moderately-sized follower base reflects that. (Regardless, I can't stand watching the stream, as it has the whole donation-spam thing which is intolerable.)

Compare this to his decades-long commentating partner, Artosis, who is infamously stressed out on his own stream, being a caricature of petulance, gamer tantrums, and why it's not his fault he just lost, etc. Incidentally, his chat following absolutely loves it, egging him on, and he makes mad mad bank for pandering to them and their expectations.

Streaming is so loving dumb.

edit: Day[9] and Tasteless are siblings, clearly they had a healthy upbringing?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

credburn posted:

From what I gather, you "smurf" by intentionally making your stats look bad, so that you can play lower-skilled players for money, and do like a surprise poolshark move on them to win money?

gently caress those guys.

That or a brand new account. I get the feeling, honestly. Sometimes you want to just chill in a game instead of either tryharding yourself or dealing with other tryhards. I had a second Rainbow Six Siege account that I paid like $9 for that we used to gently caress around with. Doing weird strats, only using low tier operators or guns, just whatever. It's no fun to do that stuff at a reasonably high level because no one there wants to do anything but Play Hard.

I also don't play video games for money so....

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Day9 has been around since the StarCraft pro-tournaments back in the day, I remember him well.
He's also the streamer who's been on Twitch the longest (his live-streaming predates Twitch, he was active on Justin.tv if memory serves).

I assumed it was someone relatively unknown.

I'm not the guy you asked, I just answered with a recommendation :shrug:

E:

quote:

Compare this to his decades-long commentating partner, Artosis, who is infamously stressed out on his own stream, being a caricature of petulance, gamer tantrums, and why it's not his fault he just lost, etc. Incidentally, his chat following absolutely loves it, egging him on, and he makes mad mad bank for pandering to them and their expectations
That's disappointing to hear. I like watching the GSL Starcraft 2 tournament pretty much because of Tasteless and Artosis's commentary. I don't even play the game. It's a shame he's kind of lovely on his own channel, though I guess I can't fault a guy for giving his fans what they want.

EE: oh! I just realised I misread "is it someone you'd recommend" as "is there someone you'd recommend"

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Dec 16, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you like World of Warcraft then yes. Taliesin and Evitel's channel.

This is a video cut from their stream when he's explaining how his wife Evitel gave birth in like 10 seconds with very little warning and how she's fantastic at everything.

It doesn't really have to do with game streaming it's just a great story and I like sharing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhiTjmBeIY

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s4dpk498mP1qa1gsx_720.mp4

I have no idea what this is from but I'm delighted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/9HYkNla.mp4