Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

My thought is that if you want more sea battles, read the Aubrey-Maturin book series.

I bought the Master and Commander book, I am looking forward to reading it over the holidays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought the Master and Commander book, I am looking forward to reading it over the holidays

Yessssss excellent behaviour.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dad energy rising to critical levels

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RE: Skull and Bones talk. I really wish someone would just make the perfect successor to Sid Meier's Pirates that exists in my head. Give me a game that has SM's Pirates! Sandbox, Naval Action's... naval action (:v:), some kind of sensible first-and/or-third person on-foot stuff that actually lets me walk around my ship (the whole ship, not just the deck) as well as on land, a cool sword-fighting system, good character customization, pronouns (if only to piss jerks off), and hell, I wouldn't complain about a half-decently written swashbuckling story. Also, single ship focus. Its likely opposite to the typical power fantasy probably, but I don't want to eventually command a whole fleet of pirate ships. I just want work my way up from a a shitbox sloop to one really awesome, customizable pirate frigate or whatever. Captain Harlock but actually in the ocean. Freaky Magic poo poo optional.

Like Sea Dogs, but a heck of a lot better and without most of the East European Jank.

And don't make it a loving online-only PvPvE GAAS boondoggle that'll die in less than a year. Just give me a cool singleplayer game! :argh:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is a group of Goons who generally love hearing opinions from people just getting into the books. If you're interested in discussing it while/after you read it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 16, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Letters of marque were a form of terrorism, furthermore

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RE: Skull and Bones talk. I really wish someone would just make the perfect successor to Sid Meier's Pirates that exists in my head. Give me a game that has SM's Pirates! Sandbox, Naval Action's... naval action (:v:), some kind of sensible third person on-foot stuff that actually lets me walk around my ship (the whole ship, not just the deck) as well as on land, a cool sword-fighting system, good character customization, pronouns (if only to piss jerks off), and hell, I wouldn't complain about a half-decently written swashbuckling story. Also, single ship focus. Its likely opposite to the typical power fantasy probably, I don't want to eventually command a whole fleet of pirate ships. I just want work my way up from a a shitbox sloop to one really awesome, customizable pirate frigate or whatever. Captain Harlock but actually in the ocean.

Freaky Magic poo poo optional.

See, it's funny you mention Captain Harlock, because the original Rebel Galaxy does a decent job of the naval action part in space... although it is way too shallow and solely ship combat/trading focused to really be a dream game. It's fun to mess around for 20 hours with Space Broadsides though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jossar posted:

See, it's funny you mention Captain Harlock, because the original Rebel Galaxy does a decent job of the naval action part in space... although it is way too shallow and solely ship focused to really be a dream game. It's fun to mess around for 20 hours with Space Broadsides though.

Yes, there are some really cool space pirate and air pirate games out there. And I did enjoy the OG Rebel Galaxy (a bit more arcadey than I'd want from my theoretical game though).

But I YEARN for Tall Wooden Ships and a Boundless Blue Ocean to sail them on...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RE: Skull and Bones talk. I really wish someone would just make the perfect successor to Sid Meier's Pirates that exists in my head. Give me a game that has SM's Pirates! Sandbox, Naval Action's... naval action (:v:), some kind of sensible first-and/or-third person on-foot stuff that actually lets me walk around my ship (the whole ship, not just the deck) as well as on land, a cool sword-fighting system, good character customization, pronouns (if only to piss jerks off), and hell, I wouldn't complain about a half-decently written swashbuckling story. Also, single ship focus. Its likely opposite to the typical power fantasy probably, but I don't want to eventually command a whole fleet of pirate ships. I just want work my way up from a a shitbox sloop to one really awesome, customizable pirate frigate or whatever. Captain Harlock but actually in the ocean. Freaky Magic poo poo optional.

Like Sea Dogs, but a heck of a lot better and without most of the East European Jank.

And don't make it a loving online-only PvPvE GAAS boondoggle that'll die in less than a year. Just give me a cool singleplayer game! :argh:

I can't believe how long we've been waiting for a game like this. Sid Meier's Pirates mixed with Black Flag with a little bit of Mount & Blade would be my ideal game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

repiv posted:

lmao valve gave every dota 2 player a christmas present, but for players who had been flagged for smurfing there was a piece of coal and notification that they'd been banned inside

https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulFrozenLaptopMcaT-u70lacgn1Q8z8DzN

i love how Valve set the unban date to literally the maximum date possible. just the icing on the goddamn cake :discourse:

Captain Foo posted:

lmao banned until the end of time_t

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 16, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jossar posted:

See, it's funny you mention Captain Harlock, because the original Rebel Galaxy does a decent job of the naval action part in space... although it is way too shallow and solely ship combat/trading focused to really be a dream game. It's fun to mess around for 20 hours with Space Broadsides though.

it's still a shame they didn't iterate on that idea in the sequel and went with a very strict 90s origin space sim instead. Since the first game was significantly more successful maybe they'll return to that style for a third game

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

raccoon.bmp posted:

But I'm still working through the stuff I got in the 2010 Summer Sale!

shut the hell up with your financial responsibility, this is the steam thread.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Ulio posted:

shut the hell up with your financial responsibility, this is the steam thread.

New thread title text right there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

edit: I posted this in the wrong thread!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 16, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ImpAtom posted:

I wish Sandrock worked on the Steam Deck.

It works perfectly on the Steam Deck, I’m like 40 hours into it exclusively playing that way. I have no idea what the “unsupported” rating means.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It works perfectly on the Steam Deck, I’m like 40 hours into it exclusively playing that way. I have no idea what the “unsupported” rating means.
unsupported can mean 1 of 3 things:

- game won't boot
- game has anti-cheat (ie an MMO) which is incompatible with proton
- game doesn't run at a smooth 30 or 60fps

that's it and that's all. in sandrock's case, it doesn't have the most stable framerate so that's probably why they consider it unsupported

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a group of Goons who generally love hearing opinions from people just getting into the books. If you're interested in discussing it while/after you read it.

I'm keeping an eye on this for a true Sea Dogs sequel:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2230980/Caribbean_Legend__Pirate_OpenWorld_RPG/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ciaphas posted:

i love how Valve set the unban date to literally the maximum date possible. just the icing on the goddamn cake :discourse:

Oh poo poo, I was laughing at the whole thing but somehow I never noticed 2038, and I thought the ban was only until January 18th of next year. This is even better :lol:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've seen that, it looks like it has some promise, but I rather doubt they've improved Sea Dog's HORRIBLE third person movement and personal combat controls much, if at all, judging by a test stream they did a few months back.

There is a reason I specifically said "Like Sea Dogs, but a heck of a lot better and without most of the East European Jank." :v:

[edit] Also, like usual, their ability to keep people in the loop sucks, lol.

Sea Dogs Devs, in Late October, last piece of Steam News for Caribbean Legend posted:

That wraps up today's update. The next diary is scheduled in two weeks.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 16, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

When I was
A young thief

FutureCop posted:

my Cutty
sent me into the city
to steal from Lord Bafford

GhostDog posted:

Will you defeat them? Your demons, and all the taffity taff taffers.

I wasn't able to work in as nearly as many stupid references as I wanted and I think I ran through every synonym in the thesaurus for "rich" or "broke" but I'm not going to spend any longer on this.

When I was a young thief
My father took me into The City
To see a lavish man

He said, "Son, when you grow up
Would you the be robber of the wealthy
The well-off and the flush
He said, "Will you deplete them?
Their statues and all the fancy paintings
The stuff that they have massed
"Because one day, I'll leave you a blackjack
To lead you in the shadows
To join the thief brigade

(When I was a young thief
My father took me into The City
To see a lavish man

He said, "Son, when you grow up
Would you the be robber of the wealthy
The well-off and the flush)

Sometimes I get the feelin'
They're watchin' over me
And then I see the gem and know I'm safe
And through it all, the picks and keys
The money off your belts
And when its gone, I want you all to know

I'll burgle on, I'll burgle on
And though you're broke and bust, believe me
Your money will carry on

Will carry on
And if my pockets can't contain it
The fence will accept it

A world that keeps you kneelin'
From profiteering greed
You gluttonous taffers will kill us all
So wear the black and steal it back
Let's sneak through moss and roof
Observant through it all, we see your coins

Your money will carry on

Will carry on
And though you're ruined and insolvent
Your stolen stuff is sellin'

On and on I ghost through all your yards
Oh ah ha
Disbelieving faces of your guards
Oh ah ha
Can't get a look at me 'cause I blackjacked all of them

Hammer cult you'll never find me
Your temples and halls will always have the dark
Pagan gods you'll never blind me
Through your trees, I'm going to have my part

I won't behave or stop my stealing
I'm in the shade, I'm gonna find your gold
Take a coin for all you've broken
Its rejoined to those who need tenfold

Just a thief but not an rear end in a top hat
Just a boy who had to break your rules
Just a thief but not an rear end in a top hat
Must. Pay. Rent

Your money will carry on

Will carry on
And though you're ruined and insolvent
Your stolen stuff is sellin'

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 16, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jossar posted:

New thread title text right there.

Very fitting I must say.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Starfield being a nominee for Most Innovative Gameplay is laughable.

Bethesda doesn't have a single innovative bone in their body.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They've found innovative new ways to ship game-breaking bugs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They innovated hyping up a game that has gently caress all to do in it

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

Starfield being a nominee for Most Innovative Gameplay is laughable.

Bethesda doesn't have a single innovative bone in their body.

Removing the exploration in a space exploration game, that’s also the main hook to why anyone plays any of their games, is pretty innovative.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bumhead posted:

Removing the exploration in a space exploration game, that’s also the main hook to why anyone plays any of their games, is pretty innovative.

Dunno, I feel like peak innovation is more like an extensive base-building layer in a game designed to be reset to a new cycle every few hours.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

hey so this Avatar game...

actually pretty fun

You essentially feel like a biological mech just sprinting in and bopping tiny little humans with your massive fist, launching arrows the size of motorcycles through aircraft canopies at the pilots and shredding walkers with a shotgun the size of a larger motorcycle, and it's also a very lite theHunter: Call of Pandora, with animal tracking, different biomes and quality of product dependent on method of kill. It looks loving gorgeous, and it runs very well on my 3080.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
why is it that the most out-of-nowhere far crys end up being the most highly-praised ones. Between this and the caveman one maybe they should stop doing formulaic sequels entirely and just keep going weird with it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

unsupported can mean 1 of 3 things:

- game won't boot
- game has anti-cheat (ie an MMO) which is incompatible with proton
- game doesn't run at a smooth 30 or 60fps

that's it and that's all. in sandrock's case, it doesn't have the most stable framerate so that's probably why they consider it unsupported

lots of games that run perfectly fine have the unsupported tag. You always have to try.

Sandrock however runs like poo poo as they were unable to create good streaming/memory management. Its a really bad running engine on every system for what it offers.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Sandrock runs fine on deck. Has some dips in performance, but overall is fine.

If you're ever wanting to check on whether a game works on deck or not use https://www.protondb.com/.

Catalogues all games and any relevant issues.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone want a copy of FTL: Faster Than Light? First one to respond with an email to send it to gets it, gotta do it that way as it's in my Steam inventory or I'd post a code

e: Gone

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 16, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone want a copy of FTL: Faster Than Light? First one to respond with an email to send it to gets it, gotta do it that way as it's in my Steam inventory or I'd post a code

I sent you a (very short) PM with my email…apologies if it seemed curt, just trying to beat away the other goons. I didn’t figure you meant “post your email in the thread.” 😳

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Seeing these games use stupid AI generated art where every woman has the exact same face makes me unreasonably annoyed every time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Seeing these games use stupid AI generated art where every woman has the exact same face makes me unreasonably annoyed every time.

Is that AI or just Korean. They loving love sameface ladies in their games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I feel like I see that exact sameface on literally every lovely AI generated picture, way more sameface-y than the actual Korean games art, but maybe it's just that the AI models are trained on that exact art style, I dunno.

Quick Googling says that the developers are from the US though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I can't believe how long we've been waiting for a game like this. Sid Meier's Pirates mixed with Black Flag with a little bit of Mount & Blade would be my ideal game.

I also yearn for this

At least bring pirates back to iOS

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Communist Bear posted:

Sandrock runs fine on deck

what does that mean to you?

I ran it on SSD 256GB deck and it continuesly produced loading times for re-used stuff like UI elements, frequently took several seconds to MINUTES to load in character models into cutscenes... sure it ~runs~ at more or less 40FPS if you run around an area but the constant interruptions waiting for poo poo that should be seamless streamed in TYOL 2023 is rather annoying and definitvely one of the worse experiences on Deck I had. Especially for the low complexity this game is at.

Its badly optimized and I get the same problems on a viable hi end PC (lot less frequent or even only there if you look for them/have the comparison, but notbaly they're there)

Their engine progamming is poo poo.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

AI or Korean?
It's hard to guarantee.
Is it AI or Korean?
Well, hey don't look at me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, this isn't likely given this crowd, but just in case -

I just had a friend explain to me how they used to play Magic the Gathering Arena and enjoyed it, and bought IRL cards, and they were thinking of getting back into it, but didn't want to deal with IRL cards again, or the Arena meta. They explained the meta, I explained how it's nothing like what I'm seeing, and...

It transpires that they played back before it was on steam and a lot of things have changed!

But also, more importantly for them:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2141910/Magic_The_Gathering_Arena/

this sucker is free and works on steam deck and is pretty drat generous for f2p players.

On top of that, if you want to play magic with friends and your own decks, there are a billion tools for that for Tabletop Simulator. So now I am enabling my friend to play Magic responsibly, without getting back into the IRL card game. Maybe mixed results, but I'm here to support their budget first.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still waiting for the hell-frozen-over day when I can just draft for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I liked mtg in elementary school/ junior high school until I became disillusioned about the fact that it's effectively pay to win

theoretically I would like something to fill the same niche but not be pay to win at all but maybe that's impossible

maybe something where it's a one time purchase or subscription with seasons where everyone starts from scratch each time and you can't just buy cards?