Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GateOfD posted:

I think everyone should have still died this week from the carriage crash. Even if Frieren stopped it just before it hit the ground.

Like if your in an elevator and its freefalling. Jumping just before it crashes into the bottom floor isn't going to lessen your impact damage by much at all.

The problem with a hard impact is how due to inertia and position of impact, different parts of your body decelerate at different paces and how that causes breaks, rupturing and squishing. If that magic just picks you up by the shoulders, you'd be right. That basically just means the point of impact is a few meters higher in the air. But if it halts every cell or even molecule simultaneously that might acutally chancel out the momentum and prevent those nasty sloshing effects.
Can someone with a better understanding of medicine and physics verify? Obviously, that's not something you could test in real life, but I do wonder what would happen.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

The problem with a hard impact is how due to inertia and position of impact, different parts of your body decelerate at different paces and how that causes breaks, rupturing and squishing. If that magic just picks you up by the shoulders, you'd be right. That basically just means the point of impact is a few meters higher in the air. But if it halts every cell or even molecule simultaneously that might acutally chancel out the momentum and prevent those nasty sloshing effects.
Can someone with a better understanding of medicine and physics verify? Obviously, that's not something you could test in real life, but I do wonder what would happen.

This is true but it's also magic so it wouldn't matter either way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

It's magic

also there was no way stark, at least, was dying from that fall. a couple weeks ago he had a monster the size of a house land on his head and he was totally fine. he just thinks that he would have died because he sees himself as a normal person

He thinks he still obeys normal human physics instead of Fighting-Man physics like his master. Of course, I think it's the case that it all still hurts and is painful, but being a warrior means being able to endure it and eventually ignore it when it happens enough times. For stark though, he's not gotten used to it so of course he still flinches at the idea of pain outside of a fight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Stark just needs a helmet like Eisen's to land on and he'll be invincible.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

sharkmafia posted:

It's magic

also there was no way stark, at least, was dying from that fall. a couple weeks ago he had a monster the size of a house land on his head and he was totally fine. he just thinks that he would have died because he sees himself as a normal person

i think the magic was only cast on the carriage itself, not the contents inside.

I think I agree Stark would have been fine, he definitely psych'd himself out against the demon he fought and then at the end just tanked a big hit and it didn't even really penetrate that deep. So he is way more durable than he gives himself credit for.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 10, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I cannot for the life of me figure out where Eizen's nose goes and it makes me laugh every time he shows up.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Eisen has an itty-bitty baby nose.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine lots of people would not have questioned the demon thing if they all looked more like Qual.

It isn't just appearance. Qual seems to kill humans on sight, so there's nothing abhorrent about killing him.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sein owns

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only actual adult in the party because Frieren's a low-key disaster of a person.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sein not being in with the group in the op makes me worry something bad is going to happen to him

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

It isn't just appearance. Qual seems to kill humans on sight, so there's nothing abhorrent about killing him.

And most other demons just delay so they can kill more humans. But the bluff fools people on this side of the screen too because they're pretty.

Smarter monsters are still monsters.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

GateOfD posted:

I think everyone should have still died this week from the carriage crash. Even if Frieren stopped it just before it hit the ground.

Like if your in an elevator and its freefalling. Jumping just before it crashes into the bottom floor isn't going to lessen your impact damage by much at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDCS0ZGpTs

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I do like that even though Frieren is a world-class mage who can kill even demon sages by herself, she has on multiple occasions been very nearly killed by mundane things like blizzards.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nebrilos posted:

I do like that even though Frieren is a world-class mage who can kill even demon sages by herself, she has on multiple occasions been very nearly killed by mundane things like blizzards.

I think at least some of that is her being lazy though. Like if it was literally "we gotta live in this nonstop blizzard for a week" I feel like it'd be odd if she couldn't conjure up a magical flame to keep them warm or figure out some way to use the magic she knows to help them survive.

For my part, I like how many time skips come up. Like they just recently spent almost a year chilling in a cabin waiting for a winter to end. Meanwhile One Piece has been blowing my mind lately by reminding me that literally the entire manga has taken place over 3 years, maaaybe 4 if you want to be generous.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One Piece is still relatively good for time passing, as far as shonen go. I am pretty sure that the entirety of MHA spans barely a year. There was huge grand time skip relatively recently that was like... a month or two. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aren't the characters in MHA still technically first year students?

But yeah, I laughed really hard in the most recent episode where Frieren was just hanging out on a roof watching Stark and Fern.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've read a bit ahead in the manga a couple of years ago, and I'll admit that I completely forgot about our new priest party member. Shame, cause I like him so far.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

chiasaur11 posted:

And most other demons just delay so they can kill more humans. But the bluff fools people on this side of the screen too because they're pretty.

Smarter monsters are still monsters.

It's the marshmallow test but for demons. Younger demons have more trouble with it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Warning: Dangerous Gif.

Source

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This episode had one of my favorite moments in the show so far with Sein giving advice to Fern, and then her and Stark talk about their problems. I ha e two huge pet peeves in anime: people not talking for no believable reason, and people not a ting their age (both teens acting like adults and vice versa). This episode avoids both of those! Stark and Fern are young so they aren't good at handling emotions and other people yet, it makes sense they'd get into a fight. Then the adult of the group is like "hey just go tell him how you feel" and wowee she does and they talk things out.

This shouldn't be such as astounding thing to see, but it's so rare in anime (and media in general) to portray people working out their conflicts in a healthy way like this.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sein is good for the kids. They needed an adult.
... Not that one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think i've ever seen a discussion on the morality of the doomslayer going to hell and killing demons in their own home even though i'm pretty sure it's explicitly corporations at fault for the demon invasion in newer games

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think i've ever seen a discussion on the morality of the doomslayer going to hell and killing demons in their own home even though i'm pretty sure it's explicitly corporations at fault for the demon invasion in newer games

They killed his pet rabbit

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nihilarian posted:

Those demons are unattractive and thus deserve it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Edit: Actually that whole joke was bad and in somewhat bad taste. Nevermind.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 13, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

Doomslayer's actually from another place that the demons previously invaded and had been wrecking up the joint for some time before the game proper started. The corporations pulled him out into containment when they started drilling for demon oil in Hell.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Glazius posted:

Doomslayer's actually from another place that the demons previously invaded and had been wrecking up the joint for some time before the game proper started. The corporations pulled him out into containment when they started drilling for demon oil in Hell.

Yeah, the Demons attacked Mars in Doom 1, then attacked Earth in Doom 2, then Doom Guy went into hell to keep killing demons, got yanked out into some alien alternate world where he warned them about Demons and then spent time helping them fight the Demons (who attacked said world and eventually consumed it) leading Doom Guy to return to hell to KEEP killing demons before they trapped him in a sarcophagus for X years, then he's pulled out in time for Doom 4/2016 where the demons immediately invade and start killing people again.

At no point are the Demons in Doom depicted as anything other than evil kill monsters, there are apparently some who can talk and make faustian bargains but they barely try to disguise the fact they're still evil kill monsters who are evil and kill. Frieren's demons could at least could at least put up a front of respectability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nihilarian posted:

Technically the Doom Slayer is the Messiah, considering his relationship to God. And Hell is God's realm in their setting, so hey.....that makes it like his second home!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The midpoint of today's episode was hilarious. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? Yes you are! Yes you are! You get a biscuit!":cheersdoge:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I know this show has been criticized for its subdued emotional reactions, but as I watch more, I like the subtly of the performances.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I love the little details in this show. Along with the show flaunting its animation chops for the ball, the bit where Fern's expression changes off-screen in one rotation was so good.

Also Frieren is very relatable: "I'm going to eat cake" is a mood, as it dithering about what book to grab.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I know this show has been criticized for its subdued emotional reactions, but as I watch more, I like the subtly of the performances.

All the interactions between Stark and Orden are really good, especially in the context of Stark's own backstory. Despite the charade they pulled the two don't really have a father-son vibe, their dynamic puts them much more in the role of equals. The two surprisingly see eye-to-eye and that's interesting, especially for Stark who usually hasn't been presented having that kind of interaction with people.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Cool episode with nice vibes all around, be it Sein getting praised by milfs, nutcracker Stark, princess Fern or Frieren hogging the sweets buffet.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
some lineart of the dance sequence byh the key animator in this ep
https://x.com/nscdund/status/1735677525949292734?s=20

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That cut was so smooth and perfectly on model I was wondering if it was 3D, guess not!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

This was one of the episodes I was particularly looking forward to because I wanted to see what they would do with the dance, and man they did such a good job.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Fern getting slapped when going for the donut was the highlight of this one. The dance was just the animators showing off.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"So you're working on ettiquete too."

Fern: *double-fisting some donuts* Hah..?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Fern sowing etiquette lessons: Haha gently caress yeah! Yes!

Fern reaping etiquette lessons: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Being denied a pile of donuts is indeed hell.