Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Solumin posted:

Right, I think you can close the gap with signals.

Some people also prefer pull logistics, which I think is also doable with signals.

Oh yea, totally. You can approach it in more than a few ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gadzuko posted:

So we've got elevated rail, smoother turns, and now train logistics in vanilla. Plus they say more improvements to announce. Do we dare to dream of some kind of FARL equivalent? All you'd need is a new locomotive or wagon with an equipment grid, really. It would make sense given the focus on remote management.

Personally, I think a construction train is pretty much a given. They're pushing the Spidertron off Nauvis, and building at the scale they expect you to solely by building a mondo roboport network would suck. I've noticed one or two other things that hinted in that direction as well, like the suggestion of using islands to build a train junction - only doable from a train either by hand or automatically, and they don't want you to have to personally be present for everything so...

And yeah, you can accomplish priorities with signals already. Put a priority combinator at each station, if a higher priority is on the network train limit is capped at 0, if train count < train limit, make the priority signal equal your priority level. With the 2.0 changes making running circuit networks everywhere much easier, it'll be reasonably easy to accomplish.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

And yeah, you can accomplish priorities with signals already. Put a priority combinator at each station, if a higher priority is on the network train limit is capped at 0, if train count < train limit, make the priority signal equal your priority level. With the 2.0 changes making running circuit networks everywhere much easier, it'll be reasonably easy to accomplish.

Why is running circuit networks easier in 2.0?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wires are free now

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

Why is running circuit networks easier in 2.0?

They're making red/green wires act like copper wires. They'll be free in 2.0: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-379

It'll be a lot easier to do a global wire network when the wires are automated.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

More importantly, dragging a circuit wired power pole will drag circuit wires along with it. Throw in the remote view changes (rewiring is not just free but can be done from anywhere, machines and circuits can be interacted with remotely, etc) and it will just be a lot less fiddly to get things set up properly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone have a good guide to when I would use the various flavors of logistic chest? I get what they do individually I just don't know where green and purple fit in my factory.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Solumin posted:

They're making red/green wires act like copper wires. They'll be free in 2.0: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-379

It'll be a lot easier to do a global wire network when the wires are automated.

Yeah it was funny how my choice was to hand craft a couple of red wires as I needed them, OR find an existing blueprint and slap it down for free.

Glad they're taking the better route

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Chin Strap posted:

Anyone have a good guide to when I would use the various flavors of logistic chest? I get what they do individually I just don't know where green and purple fit in my factory.
Green chest: "Please make sure I have this stuff, and also make it available for other bots". I don't use this much, and mainly for staging construction supplies near my wall so repair bots don't have to fly all the way back to the main base.
Purple chest: "Please take this stuff away from me". I mainly use this for a) unloading trash that comes in from outpost deconstruction and b) handling spent nuclear fuel cells.
Red chests: "This stuff is available for any bot who needs it". Differs from yellow chest in that a) bots will not add to red chests, making them useful for holding construction material at the building end of a train, and b) red chests are lower priority for bots to take from, making them useful for holding new-production stuff and forcing bots to reuse trash from yellow chests first.
Blue chests: "Please make sure I have this much stuff". Used in places where I don't want to run a belt to supply a particular manufacturing process.
Yellow chests: "Here's some stuff and space for any bot who needs it". Lay down a field of these to create a virtual junk drawer.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The mod that lets you generate infinite wires with alt+w saves so much time, it’s very good that it’s going to be vanilla now.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

Green chest: "Please make sure I have this stuff, and also make it available for other bots". I don't use this much, and mainly for staging construction supplies near my wall so repair bots don't have to fly all the way back to the main base.
Purple chest: "Please take this stuff away from me". I mainly use this for a) unloading trash that comes in from outpost deconstruction and b) handling spent nuclear fuel cells.
Red chests: "This stuff is available for any bot who needs it". Differs from yellow chest in that a) bots will not add to red chests, making them useful for holding construction material at the building end of a train, and b) red chests are lower priority for bots to take from, making them useful for holding new-production stuff and forcing bots to reuse trash from yellow chests first.
Blue chests: "Please make sure I have this much stuff". Used in places where I don't want to run a belt to supply a particular manufacturing process.
Yellow chests: "Here's some stuff and space for any bot who needs it". Lay down a field of these to create a virtual junk drawer.

Thanks. Green I guess is the one that still confuses me. Just because I'm not sure when Id ever pick that over a logistic filtered yellow.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's right in the name, really: they're buffer chests. They're the only part of the logistics system that's about the physical location of the items. The point of buffer chests is to move stuff to a new physical location in the logistics network.

Let's say you've got a wall with a bunch of gun turrets. They need repair packs, which are produced on the other side of your factory. You can:
1. Belt the repair packs over. This is inefficient (all the repair packs on the belt are unusable until the reach the chest) and possibly even infeasible. (If your factory is dense, it'll be hard to weave the belt through.)
2. Produce them locally. This is just as bad as belting, with the added problem of having to produce them locally for every defense section that needs them.
3. Use a requester (blue) chest so bots will bring them over. This solves the transport issue, but items in requester chests aren't available to the logistics network, so the bots can't actually use the packs.
4. Use a buffer chest. Bots will bring over the requested packs, and the bots near the wall can use them for repairs.

Buffer chests are a bit of a niche, but they solve a problem that pops up at least once per run (if you use logistics networks, anyway).

The advantage over storage (yellow) chests is that buffer chests can have a logistics request. Even if you have a filter, there's no guarantee the storage chest will get enough of the items.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 16, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Before buffer chests, for my first real big-numbers bot builds, I’d set down blue chests requesting max concrete, with four stack inserters pointing from them to a steel chest. Four or five of these clusters, do something else while it fills, then swap all the chests for yellow or red and ask for another 75,000 tiles of concrete to be laid.

Logistics bots can pull from them too, but the big deal is that logistics bots will fill green chests up as construction bots empty them to do work, all without the potential for any endless loops of bots.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

#1 chest tip : generally speaking, passive provider chests are not what you want. You want storage chests, filtered specifically to the item being deposited in that chest. That way, logistics bots will carry everything you throw away neatly back to where it belongs. The benefit of doing this over using red chests and a block of storage chests is twofold :
1. Stuff won't get overproduced if you request it, then make bots take it away. If you request 100 t3 modules, use 20 of them, and then have bots put the rest away, using red chests means your factory will make 100 more t3 modules instead of the 20 needed to get back to your desired buffer.
2. You put a block of unfiltered storage chests somewhere obvious. Whenever something shows up there, it's a good sign something is probably wrong, and you should check into it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Everyone's favorite tip is when setting up blue boxes to a factory, you can shift right -> shift left the factory -> box to set the logistics requests on the blue box to the factory's recipe.

My question is, is there a way to do this for that doesn't take machine crafting speed into account so when I use it for a bot mall I don't end up with a box requesting 1k concrete because something takes .5 sec crafting time?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Chin Strap posted:

Thanks. Green I guess is the one that still confuses me. Just because I'm not sure when Id ever pick that over a logistic filtered yellow.
I've written way too much stuff and it became confusing, here's the essence:

Bots can't take stuff out if they don't use it to build something or deliver it to your inventory.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You could just drop down a t1 assembler away from beacons and copy from that (or t2 if it needs fluids). Or just adjust the quantities after you copy to the chest.

The best place to used filtered storage chests is on intermediate products of things that get upgraded - yellow/red belts, yellow/blue inserters, etc. - and you put these between the producer and consumer of that item, so to start making red belts your yellow belt assembler can fill up the chest with an inserter, but once you upgrade the factory to red belts, the bots will return the yellow belts to the chest and they'll get sent directly to the red belt factory.

e: Also there's a lot of neat things you can do with requester/buffer chests linked to a circuit network, like using a couple math operations to gradually increase the requests across an array of chests (like if you're loading a train and want the bots to balance the dropoffs between cars - since bots will just drop everything in the nearest chest first if you just set a static request).

Also note when using buffer chests the checkbox to request from storage, might trip you up when you set one up and nothing gets delivered.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 16, 2023

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Ugh. I want all of the 2.0 stuff now. I just started setting up a megabase situation and got a few blocks of it done before I discovered I fundamentally hosed up how I designed my rail system, which means I probably need to tear it all down and start again, which is enough to make me not want to play anymore until the update. I wish I were smarter.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

Everyone's favorite tip is when setting up blue boxes to a factory, you can shift right -> shift left the factory -> box to set the logistics requests on the blue box to the factory's recipe.

My question is, is there a way to do this for that doesn't take machine crafting speed into account so when I use it for a bot mall I don't end up with a box requesting 1k concrete because something takes .5 sec crafting time?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AdditionalPasteSettings

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Xerol posted:

The best place to used filtered storage chests is on intermediate products of things that get upgraded - yellow/red belts, yellow/blue inserters, etc. - and you put these between the producer and consumer of that item, so to start making red belts your yellow belt assembler can fill up the chest with an inserter, but once you upgrade the factory to red belts, the bots will return the yellow belts to the chest and they'll get sent directly to the red belt factory.

This is actually the best use case for green Buffer chests. A buffer chest requesting an entire inventory of yellow belts will essentially act just like a yellow chest in almost all aspects, with the important difference that if it ever overflows into other yellow storage (because you upgrade the entire base to red belts for example) the buffer chest can reclaim those lost belts as it empties.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all really interesting and enlightening.

Does anyone know a good mod for doing operations like upgrades or deletes for an entire line of belts? Would be nice to do that instead of rectangular selection.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Tamba posted:

Wires are free now

That's another QOL mod I won't be needing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Chin Strap posted:

Thanks all really interesting and enlightening.

Does anyone know a good mod for doing operations like upgrades or deletes for an entire line of belts? Would be nice to do that instead of rectangular selection.

Make an upgrade planner that targets only the items you're interested in replacing? Then you can be pretty sloppy with the dragging and still have it be fine.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have a good write up or is there a good LP of a Bob’s Angels run? I’m hitting mid game with some actual momentum, but I feel like I’m also hitting a complexity brick wall and need some inspiration on what direction to go.

I just finished a Bob's and angels run so maybe I can give some advice. Where are you getting bogged down? The complexity does get a bit much, the factory planner mod helped me out a bunch by showing that I didn't need to build huge setups for things that didn't need much. Plus it's much easier to use than helmod

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Darox posted:

This is actually the best use case for green Buffer chests. A buffer chest requesting an entire inventory of yellow belts will essentially act just like a yellow chest in almost all aspects, with the important difference that if it ever overflows into other yellow storage (because you upgrade the entire base to red belts for example) the buffer chest can reclaim those lost belts as it empties.

The advantage of using storage chests is you can set it up as soon as you have robotics unlocked, instead of waiting for yellow tech to unlock the advanced chests. It's basically the first thing I set up in the mall after getting robotics, and going back to replace them and set up requests is not worth the time.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use buffer chests for all the lower tier items that can get turned into higher tier ones in a mall.
So Yellow belts/undergrounds/splitters, yellow inserters, tier 2 assemblers once I start making tier 3 etc. Then I put conditions on the inserters filling those chests so that stuff that I'm upgrading in my base gets used before making new stuff.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

diremonk posted:

I just finished a Bob's and angels run so maybe I can give some advice. Where are you getting bogged down? The complexity does get a bit much, the factory planner mod helped me out a bunch by showing that I didn't need to build huge setups for things that didn't need much. Plus it's much easier to use than helmod

What specific mod(s) from bob and angels do you use for this? this one? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AngelBob

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
why don't storage chests allow multiple filters :smith:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

quote:

The problem is that once the train decides to leave the station, it instantly clears the reservation of the train limit, while still physically blocking the stop. This lets another train start its journey toward the stop, while there might not be enough space to wait without blocking the mainline.

So we fixed it, so the train will only give up its reservation once it leaves the block with the train stop. I would be interested to know if other people encountered this problem in 1.1 as well.

loving finally. This issue was the cause of all drama in my megabase.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Phobeste posted:

What specific mod(s) from bob and angels do you use for this? this one? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AngelBob

I think so, I'm away from my desktop right now but i used the full bobs/angel suite plus some other mods.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Instead of waiting for the expansion I've been playing the Space Exploration mod. It's fun as hell. Playing co-op with a buddy and after 55 hours we've finished cryonite science automation and are working on vulcanite science. Well, mostly automated. While rocket delivery staging is automatic we load and fire them manually for now. From what I understand this is still somewhat the earlygame. I've re-addicted to Factorio because of this.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
What a fun bug thread! Seems the game has a maximum tick limit that is roughly 825 days
https://forums.factorio.com/107837

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I think they said in one of the blogs they're making it a lua double or something so it'll be... somewhat longer

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phobeste posted:

I think they said in one of the blogs they're making it a lua double or something so it'll be... somewhat longer

Lol.. 2.37 million years according to that thread.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yes, in #388 they changed it to a 32bit 'double' which can last 2.3 million years. "More than 2 million years seems to be enough for us to not be around any more when the bug reports start appearing."

I don't even want to load up factorio till I get all these 2.0 updates =( The uber-steel-smelter needs elevated rails.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How's this baby run on the switch? Someone please tell me it's just an awful experience. Somebody please tell me it's not surprisingly elegant and that I'm not gonna get sucked in just as easily as I did on the desktop. Please.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

If it’s like the steam deck version it’s in “works surprisingly well” category, definitely a worse ui to mouse and keyboard but everything’s available including copy paste and the touchscreen is really useful

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Having never used a Switch or Deck, can you just plug a wireless keyboard into one?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Having never used a Switch or Deck, can you just plug a wireless keyboard into one?

Deck yes Switch no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

M_Gargantua posted:

idk about wireless but you can plug regular USB KBM into the Switch while it's docked and play compatible games with them. Some quick googling says the Switch version of Factorio does support this.