Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's either alcoholism, or nosiness about anything going in the family.

Or both.

E: page snipe, but I guess that's a fitting description of Christmaas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's either alcoholism, or nosiness about anything going in the family.

Or both.

E: page snipe, but I guess that's a fitting description of Christmaas.

It also allows them to control her by making her do a thing they want, three toxic bingo squares in one lovely swoop!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

if she's not drinking then they can't judge her for drinking. how dare she do this to them

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

if she's not drinking then they can't judge her for drinking. how dare she do this to them

in a way it's almost like she is looking down on them, the little poo poo fucker

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for refusing to let my sister and her husband stay at my place?

So I (25f) own a 3 room apartment where I live alone. It’s excessive, but I had the funds to do so, so I don’t mind. My sister “Jane”(29f) and her husband “Max”(30m) live abroad. They’re coming over for the holidays like every year. For some context, I didn’t get along well with Max. Jane and Max have known each other since high school, and Max would come over every month as a “family bonding session”.

Max would always pass passive aggressive comments about me. My appearance, my possessions, whatever he saw. I had severe acne in junior HS and he always bugged me and passed comments to me for that. When I first bought my house, I converted one of the 3 rooms into a personal office. I’m a small business owner and also work full time, so I need that space. They were invited to housewarming and he said something along the lines of “I’m sure you’re a scam like the other small businesses. You just want to look cool by having a home office.”

Max and Jane usually stay at my parents’ house, but due to renovations, they cannot be accommodated. My parents asked me to accommodate them in my guest bedroom. I refused without second thought, because I don’t want to have a person who constantly makes me uncomfortable stay in my house for more than a week. Plus I go to work and I wouldn’t want to leave my house under their supervision.

Jane and my parents called me an rear end in a top hat for being unhelpful and rude. Max said “this is why Jane is the favourite child.” I couldn’t understand why he has to butt in every time, but Jane also doesn’t talk to him about his behaviour so that’s that. Jane also called me a bitch for always bickering with her husband and that I should “stay away from him”. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

I'm surprised that OP hasn't had a partner in this entire time who's put Max in his place either verbally or by just outright tuning him up.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

You need to stay away from my husband. Also, we need to crash at your place

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Quora question: What is the biggest snub you received from a family member?

“main character boomer lady” posted:

In 2017 I found my half sister through a DNA matching service. We were both very excited and hit it off really well for the first year and a half. We live in different states and visited each other once in my state, and once in hers. During that time I met, got engaged to, and married my husband. Soon after that, she started ghosting me. After several months of it I called her, she asked “who is it?“ And confused, I said, it’s your sister, don’t you still have my contact information? And she hung up on me. A few months later I was in her city with my husband at a conference and I tried to get hold of her for a visit. She sent me an email that said That due to her fragile health, she couldn’t have a relationship with me anymore. And I was like, what the hell, how would a relationship with me damage your health?? She asked me not to contact her again.
I was brokenhearted and did a period of grieving, during which I came to the conclusion that you cannot force somebody to be a part of your life if they don’t want to be, And that just because we are blood, it doesn’t mean that she would automatically want a relationship. Also, that the health she was talking about was mental and emotional, and I began to understand that I had rarely met a more damaged person. She had an abusive childhood. And in that child’s mind where her mind was stuck, she blamed me, for the fact that her daddy had to leave her mommy, because he sired a child, me, out of wedlock with another woman. She revealed she had hated me growing up and even the love that was available to her now that we knew each other wasn’t enough to get her past that. My birth mother gave me up for adoption. So I understand. And I still love her.
I reach out to her from time to time, but she never answers. I always wanted a sister and for a while I thought I had one. it still makes me sad to think about it, but there are so many people in my life who love me and want me in their lives, love me for who I am, that I’m OK. I could even go as far as to say, her loss. But not in a mean way. I could’ve given her so much love, but if there’s nowhere in that person for it to land, all the love in the world isn’t enough.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Usually you drink more than me so I can feel good about myself. but now you’re drinking less than me and I feel like poo poo! explain yourself!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Assuming they’re not abstaining for serious health reasons or anything that absolutely prohibits any alcohol, that’s a pretty funny way of responding to that situation

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Cowslips Warren posted:

the funny thing is that a lot of various toys I sold in yard sales are probably worth something to collectors of Transformers (the old metal ones are wanted) but 99% of the "worth something one day!" might be in like 200 years or to aliens scavenging our planet in a few decades.

We just had an estate sale last month to clear out my late Mother-in-law's place. We ended up getting an estate sale company in to do a sale/clear out. There was stuff they were excited about that we would have tossed without a thought, like empty game cartridge boxes for Super Nintendo games. The guy said the boxes sell like hotcakes because if someone has the game but no box and they get the box, the price can jump up. And one of the things that sold for an astonishing amount of money was a simple plastic stand for Star Wars figures. Apparently, in the 80's, the stand had a back and had been used in stores to display the figures. It was not sold anywhere, just for stores, so it was a rare piece. My husband was shocked, but, again, it was likely to just be thrown out if we had to do the clean-out.

In short, always get people who know what they are doing to sell the old poo poo your parents have.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for considering breaking up with my girlfriend as I don’t know if I’ll ever get past her history?

quote:

To make a long story short, we were playing a drinking game with some friends and she admitted to sleeping with at least 13 guys, most of them being frat bros. To be honest I never asked her about her past before, because I never thought it was like this. But drat, something about hearing that made me squeamish and honestly repulsed. I don’t think I’ll ever recover honestly. It may come across as dramatic but I really don’t care. I think it may be best for me to break up and take some time for myself then find someone else.

The comments are great.

quote:

Recover from what? The reality is that you are not the first one? Or recover from your masculinity fragile?

quote:

You better figure out what number it is ok for a woman to sleep with (less than 13, obvs) and put it in your profile. Otherwise, more sadness awaits.

OP is a virgin, says he would think the same if it was a dude with that many partners with a virgin girlfriend, and

quote:

Because sex in and of itself is nasty. You’re swapping bodily fluids with people.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Oh yeah those gross FLUIDS... repulsive!

Has the OP considered maybe they're gay? Or is this just toxic misogyny?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Am I the jerk for not taking my husband “other” children to the park??

quote:

So I am a 36 year old female who is a dermatologist at a well known hospital. So to understand the point of the story you must understand my separation from my ex.

So I was 22 and still in medical school when I met my husband. We met at a bar and I was honestly quite an attractive female. My husband was all over me. He bought me flowers and chocolates and wrote me sweet notes. I loved it all. We started dating almost a year later and it was one of the best years of my life. He convinced me to relax and let lose a bit. Not so much that my grades slip but a bit so I could be a human. I loved him so much and. We got married 3 years after meeting. We were fond of each other and couldn’t get enough of each other. After 3 years we had our baby girl who I am gonna call Aria.Aria was my life and even though it was hard studying and having my little girl. My husband was an enormous contributor and an ace dad.

We were happy for 6 years but one night at the r getting super drunk . My husband admitted to having sex with some girl at the bar.

( this is explicit so skip if ur not comfortable) He told me about her and how he loved doing nefarious stuff to her.

I flipped out. I screamed and cursed and threw things at him. I packed my things and left with Aria. I didn’t need him because I was financially quite well off being a doctor. I ignored his texts and all and the divorce was messy but I am now happy without him.

Now it has been 2 years and he has already gotten remarried and has 2 step kids. One is 9 and one was 8. They HATE my kid. They think she ruined their daddy. I hate them but they are kids so I never allow my daughter to go to their house. My husband slowly stopped visiting though Aria didn’t miss him.

Now we come to our story.

One day, it was my daughter’s birthday. It had been her dream to go to universal studios. And obviously, I took her. This was one of the weeks that her daddy had decided to visit and she told him about it. After the visit was over. He came to me and told me that I should consider taking his 2 other children.

I stared at him. ‘Why would I take YOUR children?’ I asked in disbelief. He started screaming about how they were MY children as well. I shouted right back that those brats were no children of mine. He was livid. He said he would drop them off at my house and he would like to see me TRY and leave 2 children at my doorstep.

I didn’t believe it. But my daughter is in the same school as his children and the younger one is in her class. At break, he came to her and told her how her mommy was taking him to universal studios but not her. Aria was confused and came home and asked why he said that. I had no clue until I received a message that said

‘ Hey the boys don’t want Aria to come along so don’t bring her and me and my wife will be coming along, with your paycheck you should be able to cover us’

I was furious. I blocked the number and the morning of the trip. I woke up to a roar. I went downstairs and saw a family of 4 standing on the street. I COULDN’T BELIEVE MY EYES. I ignored them. I woke up Aria with hugs and kisses. Fed her breakfast. And after getting her into a birthday outfit I opened the door to be greeted by. ‘WE ARE SO EXCITED TO GO TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS’

I was angry but silently took Aria to the car. They followed. But I and Aria got in the car so fast and locked the doors that they did not get a chance. they banged on the windows and tugged on the handles. My daughter was scared. My husband was shouting very loudly. I just backed up and driver away. I hear the roar of their car.

They were gonna follow us.

We drove up to the park. And saw them get out as well. We blended in with the crowd and managed to get in the park. As we entered I saw all 4 shouting and pointing at us. I waved cheerfully and smiled. The boys were screaming about how Aria was not supposed to be here.

My ex texted me later telling me I’m a bitch and his children are devastated and my daughter didn’t deserve this trip like his sons. He said I was neglecting my other children.I still don’t understand why he thinks they were in any shape or form my children.

So I need to know am I the jerk for making them drive almost 4 hours and leaving them stranded?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I thought ace, not gay.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Evil Willow posted:

This story was wild.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That ex and his new family are impressively insane

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Evil Willow posted:

This is so insane, deranged and weirdly written it must be fake. (Right?)

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Evil Willow posted:

I would give several dollars to hear this story from the ex's perspective

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for keeping my expensive body pillow?

quote:

I (26F) collect body pillows of my favorite characters. It's not a cheap hobby, and most of my disposable income goes into it. Recently, I got a cover and a pillow of my favorite male character (Trigon from DC comics before anyone asks) and it's caused some friction with my boyfriend (25M).

Initially, he was fine with me getting it, but he said he didn't want it in our bed when he was there when he saw that one side was NSFW. I agreed to that, and keep my pillow man in the closet except for when I'm cuddling with him. That was okay at first, but it started to get on my boyfriend's nerves to see him in the closet (we share a closet, but the pillow is firmly on my side, it's not messing with his clothes).

The real conflict started when he started calling my pillow my father as a joke (since I like roleplaying as the character's daughter, Raven, online). I thought it was really funny at first when he said stuff like "Your father fell out of the closet again" but lately, it's started to get grating, especially since we're going to see my real (not a pillow) father for Christmas.

Eventually I told him I want him to stop joking that the pillow is my father, as it just feels too weird right now. He seemed frustrated and said he just wants the pillow gone, period. Not just in the closet, but gone.

I said that there's no way this is happening, as the pillow cost me nearly $500 and I love him very dearly. He said he'd help me sell it, and even offered to give me the $500 himself if I'd let him throw it out, but I refused. I don't want the money, I want to keep the pillow. If I really truly had to sell him, I'd at least want to know he's going to a human, not a landfill.

My boyfriend said he just wants the pillow gone, and I just want to keep it. I don't know which one of us is the rear end in a top hat here.

I thought these pillows were just the actual pillowcase, but for the price, it has to be a pillow, right? Like, a special one similar to a RealDoll?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I thought these pillows were just the actual pillowcase, but for the price, it has to be a pillow, right? Like, a special one similar to a RealDoll?

Large and detailed custom prints are expensive, especially for what's probably a made-to-order job. (Copyrighted character and all)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

we're going to see my real (not a pillow) father for Christmas

r/relationships: we're going to see my real (not a pillow) father for Christmas

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gotta be a rewritten story, I remember making fun of someone with bodypillows of those specific characters a while back :sigh:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought ace, not gay.

I just assumed he had issues and an unhealthy view on sex and women's sexuality, like a bunch of other guys we hear about here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's my own fault. I couldn't believe a loving pillow case could really be that much. I tried to google it and instead I got an Amazon link for a Raven pillow wearing about what you would expect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Assuming you're kissing somebody with intent, body fluids are being swapped. If OP can't cope with that, it is time for them to seek out women from restrictive religious sects, which requires joining such sects.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Large and detailed custom prints are expensive, especially for what's probably a made-to-order job. (Copyrighted character and all)

Also not in this case, but ESPECIALLY if it’s a furry.

I have no idea where they get their money from.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also not in this case, but ESPECIALLY if it’s a furry.

I have no idea where they get their money from.

Suspiciously Wealthy Furries is a meme, but then so is them making up the IT staff of probably most of the world.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA to stop helping my wife with our new born’s night because she disrespected me in front of our friends ?

quote:

I (29 male) and my wife (28 female) have been married for 5 years, but we we have been together for 10 years. Today we have 2 kids : our daughter (1 year and a half) and our son (5 weeks).

After the birth of our son, we decided that my wife would be a stay-at-home mom until our son is 6 months old. I wouldn't have minded being a stay-at-home dad but I have a better salary and we couldn't live on my wife's income.

Even if I work I’m a super helpful dad and partner in general : I almost do every errance, I book appointments, I take care of my daughter in the morning before dropping her off at daycare, etc… and since the birth of our son I also do 50% of the bottles during the night.

While my wife takes care of the cooking, laundry, dishes, sterilizing baby bottles, some errance, and the baby during the day.

3 days ago we were at a friends apartment one evening with our children for a little gathering (2 couples + us). During the evening my wife took care of our newborn and I was responsible for watching our daughter. You should know that our friend’s apartment is on the second floor without elevator.

And when it was time to leave, I took our daughter in my arms and I thought that my wife would take care of carrying our son in his stroller carrycot. But instead, she collected all the bags, and our daughter's stroller. And she asked if someone could help us and come down with our son and his stroller carrycot (which I admit is heavy but not impossible for my wife to carry). I didn't want to leave responsibility for my son on the stairs to someone else so I told my wife to drop everything and take the stroller carrycot.

At first she did it but then she sees my daughter in one of our friend arms et she assume he will be the one coming down with us, and I will be the one carrying our son. So she collected once again all the bags and the stroller.

But finally my daughter came back into my arms not wanting to go down with anyone else and that's when my wife disrespected me. I told her once again to stop with the bags and to take care of our son, she looked at me angry at the situation and told me : “You are really annoying me right now, someone else could pick the stroller carrycot with our son”.

I did not at all appreciate the tone of his voice (which was really aggressive) and his attitude in front of our friends. At the end a friend or ours took the bags and my wife took our son.

That night I decided not to help with nighttime bottles for our son because my wife had taken a nap with our son during the day.

And in the morning, she expected a « Thank you » for doing the night alone and I told her she would not have it until she apologized for her behaviour yesterday. I also decided that I would no longer help at all at night and that the rest of the time I would do the bare minimum, until my wife apologized. I told her that now I would be like all the other husbands.

So am I the rear end in a top hat ?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

errance this man into the nearest oubliette

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Gays, famous for not swapping bodily fluids.

I think the restaurant guy is bait. He's using language that's popular now to describe how women carry most of the mental load in a family (remembering birthdays, anniversaries, etc.; keeping track of everyone's schedules, games, appointments, concerts, etc.; knowing who wears what size and likes what styles and foods and such; the names of everyone's friends and their parents; planning and budgeting, etc.) to describe how he can't handle the mental load of taking his wife on a date. Sounds like his wife (or just some *female*) was complaining about it and now he wants redditors to either agree with him that choosing a restaurant and making reservations is equivalent to running a household, or for them to say the concept of carrying the mental load is bullshit so he can tell his wife/friend/random women that everyone agrees that the "mental load" isn't real and they're just whining about bullshit.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

r/relationships: we're going to see my real (not a pillow) father for Christmas

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Troublemaker posted:

Gays, famous for not swapping bodily fluids.

I think the restaurant guy is bait. He's using language that's popular now to describe how women carry most of the mental load in a family (remembering birthdays, anniversaries, etc.; keeping track of everyone's schedules, games, appointments, concerts, etc.; knowing who wears what size and likes what styles and foods and such; the names of everyone's friends and their parents; planning and budgeting, etc.) to describe how he can't handle the mental load of taking his wife on a date. Sounds like his wife (or just some *female*) was complaining about it and now he wants redditors to either agree with him that choosing a restaurant and making reservations is equivalent to running a household, or for them to say the concept of carrying the mental load is bullshit so he can tell his wife/friend/random women that everyone agrees that the "mental load" isn't real and they're just whining about bullshit.

On the other hand I can absolutely believe some dipshit heard about mental load, decided that was exactly what was going on with him having to sort out restaurants and did... that.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Assuming you're kissing somebody with intent, body fluids are being swapped. If OP can't cope with that, it is time for them to seek out women from restrictive religious sects, which requires joining such sects.

But op already established that they strongly dislike sects?????

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Evil Willow posted:

Rojkir posted:

This is so insane, deranged and weirdly written it must be fake. (Right?)

" I was honestly quite an attractive female" she said, boobily.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Everyone in this seems utterly deranged.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm concerned for the ex's car, it's roaring so loud it both wakes her up and can be heard from inside her car when she's driving away. He should get that checked out.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITAH for refusing to make my green bean casserole for a Christmas party?

quote:

Names changed, we're all 35+

For almost 15 years now, my friends have holiday parties where we each bring a dish. Mine has always been a green bean casserole. It's nothing fancy, just a random recipe I found online.

A few years ago, Amy joined our group. There have been 0 issues with Amy until parties. My casserole was overhyped and after tasting it, Amy said she could do better. I gladly passed casserole duty to her. It "didn't hit the same", and it was gently suggested to get passed back to me.

Amy took this personal. For years, she texted me after parties about how offended she is that I keep making the dish to spite her, and how bad it tastes. She's even "accidentally" brought her own green bean casserole several times.

This Thanksgiving, Amy snapped over someone complimenting my casserole. She screamed at everyone for pandering to me, how I'm out to get her, and for everyone hating her family since her recipe has been passed down for generations. Then she stormed out.

We all talked afterwards, and I explained this had been going on for years, even showing the her texts. Everyone said it was out of character for Amy, and wondered if something else is going on. As far as I'm aware, it's only the casserole. We get along 100% otherwise.

I took Amy, her husband, and my husband out for coffee to talk, and was told it was all a misunderstanding. Amy has been struggling with depression, so it was within her rights to act how she did. I asked how I could help, but Amy said questions like those were what her therapist warned her of me attempting to manipulate her. We agreed to end our talk there since we were getting heated in public, and hadn't talked since.

When the groupchat began planning Christmas dishes, Amy went out of her way to say I should make the casserole since I accused her of "hating it", and she wouldn't want everyone to feel more uncomfortable than I'm making a misunderstanding out to be. When I tried to speak up, everyone said I shouldn't take things so seriously, and to sympathize with Amy going through a rough patch.

To me, Amy has made it well aware that something to do with myself or the casserole is causing her so much turmoil over the years. She simply won't talk to me about it, just claims I never listen to her.

I have no plans to make the casserole, but now I don't want to go to the Christmas party. My husband thinks it's unfair for me to do to everyone, and that I shouldn't exclude myself from a fun time. I told him there's no hard feelings of him going on his own, but he says I'm missing the point. He says such a minor thing shouldn't affect years of good moments with Amy and our friends.

I fully understand how depression affects people, but it's hard for me to accept as a get-out-free card. I'm very confused, and failing to see why this shouldn't be taken seriously. AITAH??

Jeopardizing the green beans

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 16, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
History repeats itself, first as farce then as sincerely held human beliefs

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

'Nefarious stuff' is explicit now? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA to let my daughter stay home for the holiday season after she betrayed her sister?

I think some people genuinely don't get that there are some situations you can be neutral on. The bullshit centrist "both sides are wrong let's meet in the middle!" thing doesn't really work if only one party did something massively hosed up.