Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Having put this to bed I would say it's better than Kingmaker, worse than WotR. Wrath has a strong driving narrative from beginning to end, this is more a disparate mix of events that just sort of ends. Now, some of those events are cool...but it's just not as strong a whole.

All the bugs and poo poo are just Owlcat and kind of irrelevant at this point. In six months this'll be a much better game, but the overall story should be relatively the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Who designed this jungle planet in act 4.

I just want to talk.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

pentyne posted:

That's when you see all the enemies with different percentage calculations you'd think "oh 40% and 5% what's the point?" but the way the game calculates that is hosed sometimes, much less the mechanics of how burst+overpenetration works. The actual number is meaningless and for a rapid/burst fire you land 1/2 of them as hits minimum against anything short of some dodge monsters.

Yeah the percentage chances it shows for burst first chance to hit are kinda hosed. I think it's showing the chances of any one bullet hitting that target, assuming the situation is a frozen tableau. Like when you see those really low 5% or less burst fire hit percentages, I think it's showing the chance of a bullet going to that lane, the first target dodging and the second target getting hit by it. It doesn't account for the first target getting gibbed and the second target becoming open, which tbf you'd have to make a lot of assumptions to give odds for.

I wasn't really referring to the cth calculations though, I was talking about how burst fire works mechanically.

Burst fire doesn't make direct attack rolls using your BS, the initial BS roll is to see which lane a bullet goes down. Bullets attack the first target in their lane, they don't ever cross over or cross back, if there's no targets or no targets remaining in a lane, the bullet is wasted. If the target is behind cover, there's a 35/60% chance the bullet hits the cover for partial/full cover respectively, +/- whatever cover benefits/maluses. If it doesn't hit cover, the target attempts to dodge. If they dodge, the bullet continues and tries again on the next target in the lane. Bullets can overpen cover/targets to attack the target behind.

With high BS/no rapid fire it's a 4/5 chance for a bullet to go down the center lane, the remaining 1/5 are split 50/50 between the left/right lanes. If shooting beyond effective range, it's about 2/5 in the center lane, 2/5 to end up in either left/right, and 1/10 to end up in the extreme left/right lanes that open beyond effective range.

With rapidfire, BS has much less impact, it's more like 3/5 in the center lane, 1/5 to each side line. Outside effective range it gets way worse, 1/5 center line, 2/5 to either side lane 2/5 to the extreme side lanes.

Running the numbers I was wrong in general, the increase in RoF should make up for wasted bullets even against single targets if you have the talent that removes the damage debuff. If you have that, rapid fire all day every day unless you're afraid of hitting friendlies. Love to remove the chance to dodge attacks then remember my allies are relying on dodge to survive Argenta's insane damage.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I don't really understand how trading works. Can I just take any item I have enough profit factor to afford?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eschatos posted:

I don't really understand how trading works. Can I just take any item I have enough profit factor to afford?

Yep. Profit factor isn't spent, it's a threshold check.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Eschatos posted:

Yes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eschatos posted:

You are so wealthy that your trade empire doesnt exchange resources for things, your court handles all matters of credit for you on your behalf, you just have to be rich enough that the trader knows you are good for it eventually, ie its more of a reputation check then a system of exchange. Its kind of neat. When it comes to large events like funding lavish parties or investing in infrastructure you might spend some of your profit factor on it instead, but it won't cost you profit to buy a single gun off of a trader.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Love to give my officers ult ability to assassin yrliet, shes just doing this to every enemy she has ap for.

Also something thats kinda worth doing is playing selfish master tactician, if they spend their own stacks on themselves they can also boost their damage to ridiculous levels.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 16, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think you start out at 18 which is appallingly low for a Rogue Trader but you did just get cut off from all your holdings, take over the Warrant, and get your ship trashed so people are understandably not clear on whether you can actually pay them.

Where it gets weird is when you consider that buying a new macro-cannon broadside for your ship can be easier than a fancy boltgun, but the system is highly abstract.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I think you start out at 18 which is appallingly low for a Rogue Trader but you did just get cut off from all your holdings, take over the Warrant, and get your ship trashed so people are understandably not clear on whether you can actually pay them.

Where it gets weird is when you consider that buying a new macro-cannon broadside for your ship can be easier than a fancy boltgun, but the system is highly abstract.

It started at 10 for me with a +3 I think was from being in the beta.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Started playing tonight. No familiarity with 40k, I think I played that space marine third person game years ago. Absolutely baffling leveling system. It took me a little while to get pathfinder from knowing dnd but it was mostly familiar, cleave is still cleave. Rogue trader is giving you a lot of choices you will not understand. I guess I now know what it felt like the guys who had never played a crpg before trying wrath of the righteous. What the gently caress is this, let me google build

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arglebargle III posted:

The broadside is but the hours of serfs. The boltgun represents time committed by a master craftsman.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Arglebargle III posted:

New Imperial Navy trash vs a blessed relic of the Imperium

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Ok, I think I'm gonna put the game down for a bit after 80 hours. Apparently the quest I'm trying to complete on Quetzal Temer has borked dialogue and it's not offering me the solution I want even if I pass all the skill checks. Will probably come back to it some time after the holidays, hopefully they'll have fixed it by then.

Going by Owlcat's discord it seems like Act 4 has quite a few bugs. Not game-breaking but lots of flags not being set correctly and dialogue options missing, so far it's not actively preventing me from finishing the game but I don't want to have to muck around in toybox for hours for it either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think I’m gonna have to stop playing this for quite some time. Getting to Act 3 and having three of my companions straight up disappear fuckin sucks

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
AITA : My (F/SoB, ??!) Lord Captain (F/32) keeps shouting things like "The world will bow !" and "I stride in the glory of Chaos !" when we're in battle or she uses a computer or something ; and I feel like I should be bursting full auto right in their face while they sleep but idk. They've been nothing but nice to me and the children, and they're kinda cute ? Wwyd ?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes Argenta sure does give off the vibe she likes female attention.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
OP really needs to have a warning telling people not to buy this game right now. Getting 70 hours into a game only to realize your save has at this point accumulated numerous amounts of bugs and glitches, to the point where playing this game is the equivalent of trying to watch satellite tv through signal static and assuming you haven't hard locked yourself, is a new kind of cruel and unusual torture.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Blessed are the faithful

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I wanna say the quest "Rot" in chapter 2 isn't progressing for me. I have to be in the right spot for this, there's nowhere else in the map that makes sense dude.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

emSparkly posted:

I wanna say the quest "Rot" in chapter 2 isn't progressing for me. I have to be in the right spot for this, there's nowhere else in the map that makes sense dude.

It's in the middle of the leftside bridge favela catwalk thingy (rightside from you as you exit the bar). The other side, despite the giant ANVERS tags and it being "a nook you can see from the bar" is for a different quest entirely.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay i finally went to that planet Argentia talked up wanting to go in like, I dunno, very late act 4 or something I think and did I miss something, or a lot of something? for a start that was more of an act 2 fight at best, considering the absolute fuckfest fights of the dungeon I had to go through before the system unlocked it was absolutely nothing. Then we don't go in the holy temple boat, Argentia freaks out and runs off, and we pick back up a day later with her saying shes a Sister Repentia now and nothing else has changed. She doesn't have any new dialog.

Also? Forceswords? What happened to those? I've found 2, a few dozen hours ago, and they are kitten slaps now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

SweetBro posted:

OP really needs to have a warning telling people not to buy this game right now. Getting 70 hours into a game only to realize your save has at this point accumulated numerous amounts of bugs and glitches, to the point where playing this game is the equivalent of trying to watch satellite tv through signal static and assuming you haven't hard locked yourself, is a new kind of cruel and unusual torture.

No it doesn't lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Caidin posted:

Okay i finally went to that planet Argentia talked up wanting to go in like, I dunno, very late act 4 or something I think and did I miss something, or a lot of something? for a start that was more of an act 2 fight at best, considering the absolute fuckfest fights of the dungeon I had to go through before the system unlocked it was absolutely nothing. Then we don't go in the holy temple boat, Argentia freaks out and runs off, and we pick back up a day later with her saying shes a Sister Repentia now and nothing else has changed. She doesn't have any new dialog.

Also? Forceswords? What happened to those? I've found 2, a few dozen hours ago, and they are kitten slaps now.

Theres some way with that quest to get her to get hyped up before and she charges in and comes out all holy fervor'd. I was reading about it in Discord but not sure of the criteria to change or if its just an on the spot dialogue thing.

Also yeah that Act 4 Ranger ambush sucked lol. Lost Pasqal first round and Rogue trader second. Whats the counterplay vs sniper-type enemies, just countersnipe? Pull em close with Cassia?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I decided to switch it up and try my "slightly better Argenta" build out on the hardest difficulty and boy is it rough. Scraped by the tutorial boss and had to redo Eurac V so Cassia's buddies join us for the fight against Felek. That first spaceport fight was okay but the second was tough. I'm considering doing the prison with 5 people and hope the extra levels give the needed boost.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Kobal2 posted:

It's in the middle of the leftside bridge favela catwalk thingy (rightside from you as you exit the bar). The other side, despite the giant ANVERS tags and it being "a nook you can see from the bar" is for a different quest entirely.

I believe I missed a step between fighting the jerks in the Shadow Quarter and actually heading to their base. That sucks though. If I find where the door to their base is, I should just be able to walk in.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Theres some way with that quest to get her to get hyped up before and she charges in and comes out all holy fervor'd. I was reading about it in Discord but not sure of the criteria to change or if its just an on the spot dialogue thing.

Also yeah that Act 4 Ranger ambush sucked lol. Lost Pasqal first round and Rogue trader second. Whats the counterplay vs sniper-type enemies, just countersnipe? Pull em close with Cassia?

Yeah Yrliet will pop 2 or 3 snipers a turn you give her, she's super useful.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ironically thats the quest her romance breaks on lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The end of Chapter 3 is like Final Fantasy 14 levels of 'Prepare enough time to view every cutscene', It's kinda funny.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mulva posted:

Having put this to bed I would say it's better than Kingmaker, worse than WotR. Wrath has a strong driving narrative from beginning to end, this is more a disparate mix of events that just sort of ends. Now, some of those events are cool...but it's just not as strong a whole.

All the bugs and poo poo are just Owlcat and kind of irrelevant at this point. In six months this'll be a much better game, but the overall story should be relatively the same.

I agree with this though I would characterize it more charitably. This game is good, but Wrath is absolutely incredible. The way they handle mythic paths is so much better than similar mechanics has ever been handled in a game imo. Isn't this an entirely original story though? In Kingmaker and Wrath they had the advantage of starting with a module and expanding it. So, a new story plus switching out all the pnp mechanics on a fairly quickly developed game at a reasonably high level of quality ain't a bad effort.

It feels a bit like their Tyranny and as much as I loved that game (still one of Obsidian's best imo) I think this is a more solid confident game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chapter 4 vendor rewards also rather funny. At rank 35 Fellowship of the void gives you a sanctified and improved heavy bolter with more damage but a lower firerate. Pretty nice. Kasballica gives you at the apex of their 31 step rep grind: A Dark Lance, nothing special about it. Something you've probably been able to get a hold of since chapter 2. Wierd.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wrath's actual plot sucks. The cool part is the way the world reacts to your mythic paths. Skeletor crusading ftw

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Oh Assassin Yrliet is way better than Bounty Hunter, I was wrong big time.

If you get the Eye of Hecaton rifle for her and give her the officers ult she can run all over the place killing everything with killing edge attack boosted shots. Almost as good as argenta.

I think bounty hunters big problem is everything being tied to your marked hunts which aren't an unlimited resource, you only get 3, and it takes 3 turns to replenish 1 of them, compared to say militant which gets its resource from just using different kinds of attacks each turn. It's totally possible to waste those hunts too and you have to take multiple talents to mitigate that.

Assassin meanwhile gets (on my char right now) 12 percent damage bonus for every weak spot hit cumulative, does an extra damage for every 10 damage they do, and then increases their assassin stat by 10 if they do 5 of those extra damage, so any 50 damage shot. It's a lot of cumulative bonuses that require way less work.

Oh yeah. Just to provide a visual example of this:

This is her with the stock rifle she comes with, at IIRC level 23.

Bounty Hunter got kinda nerfed into the ground from the Beta, it feels like. The only things it's truly good at now is tearing up heavily-armored enemies and providing a bit of extra support perks on Idira when you build her as a psyker-centric support. For basically anything else, Arch-Militant just blows it out of the water.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got a bug where Cassia has infinite turns at the start of every fight. Anyone else get this?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes, sometimes people say it's cause by having people with seize the initiative outside of the party, but there may be other causes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone using toybox from the Steam workshop? Surprised to see workshop as an option for mods this time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Wrath's actual plot sucks.

Wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SweetBro posted:

The Emperor protects!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I've been flirting with Heinrix just to see his reactions but clearly it's never gonna work out because I'm a filthy super heretic. Is there some point of no return I need to watch out for that would turn off the cheesy romance dialogue for anyone else?
If not, well toybox has the polyamory toggle for a reason I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes, sometimes people say it's cause by having people with seize the initiative outside of the party, but there may be other causes.

That might be it.