Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CelticPredator posted:

Can you imagine such an existence?

Not at all, I can't help it; I love Superheroes But hosed Up. Invincible is also a fun watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ah yes it's a good thing disney doesn't own a superhero franchise and that chuds and incels aren't constantly talking about pop culture bullshit

Are you telling me that this work of satire contains similarities to things from real life? What a crazy coincidence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aramek posted:

I think superhero franchises should follow through on punches instead of pulling them.

I'm not paying to see things not get punched, okay?

They did that with Superman after years of complaining he never punched anything and then people started whining even louder for some reason.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Has Superman ever punched himself?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Do you think Superman and Clark Kent ever explored each other's bodies?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

Has Superman ever punched himself?

Like nearly every DC multiverse crossover has this, yes. Not even counting Superman fighting all the Superman-alikes.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did that with Superman after years of complaining he never punched anything and then people started whining even louder for some reason.

Do you think Superman could take a man from behind, even if he was coming really hard?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Byzantine posted:

"What if superheroes..............were violent assholes!"

woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is true if you never saw it and wanted to get mad at it for no reason

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tiggum posted:

Are you telling me that this work of satire contains similarities to things from real life? What a crazy coincidence.

Nonsense, now excuse me I have to post about how it sure is an unfortunate coincidence that this villain is named Stormfront.

I don't even like The Boys that much but it's not even remotely affectionate toward the concept of superheroes, they're basically depicted as parasites. Invincible is the "normal superhero story but with blood and guts" one out of the Evil Superman series.

mycot has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Dec 16, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

InediblePenguin posted:

I swear you never read ANY of the handwritten slash fic I jam under your door.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mycot posted:

Nonsense, now excuse me I have to post about how it sure is an unfortunate coincidence that this villain is named Stormfront.

I don't even like The Boys that much but it's not even remotely affectionate toward the concept of superheroes, they're basically depicted as parasites. Invincible is the "normal superhero story but with blood and guts" one out of the Evil Superman series.

Kinda funny that the writer of Invincible had to go on the record saying he'd never seen Dragon Ball. Though for what it's worth I believe him, the Vitrumites really don't have much in common with the Saiyans besides both being 'what if Kryptonians used their powers to conquer planets'.

There also has been stories where Superman and Clark Kent were split apart. Funny thing is one of them explores how those characters often don't really function without the other part of their personalities; Kal-El loses touch with humanity while Clark becomes the pushover he acted like, and meanwhile Batman loses his motivation and Bruce Wayne has no outlet for his rage and ends up almost beating a carjacker to death. Someone apparently said 'Everyone knows if you split up Batman and Bruce Wayne you get a lunatic and a fop. But what no one expected was which one was which.'

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

InediblePenguin posted:

In my dreams, yes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny that the writer of Invincible had to go on the record saying he'd never seen Dragon Ball. Though for what it's worth I believe him, the Vitrumites really don't have much in common with the Saiyans besides both being 'what if Kryptonians used their powers to conquer planets'.

It wasn't just that, it was the combination of the Viltrumites and Allan having the power to come back stronger every time he almost dies, just like the Saiyans. I believe Kirkman as well but it's one hell of a coincidence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

It wasn't just that, it was the combination of the Viltrumites and Allan having the power to come back stronger every time he almost dies, just like the Saiyans. I believe Kirkman as well but it's one hell of a coincidence.

Eh, superheroes have been doing that since day one, it's just making it explicit.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
On the other hand, he 100% ripped off the opening of 28 Days Later for The Walking Dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nameless Pete posted:

On the other hand, he 100% ripped off the opening of 28 Days Later for The Walking Dead.

Intentionally. The high concept of TWD was to take a zombie movie but then just keep running with it instead of finding an ending after 90 minutes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AceOfFlames posted:

"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" is a famous quote from Nietzsche from over a century ago.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Danny Boyle nicked it first, it's heavily based on Day of the Triffids. Just without the triffids

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Danny Boyle nicked it first, it's heavily based on Day of the Triffids. Just without the triffids

Day of the Triffids is my favourite Wyndham novel and I've always slightly resented 28 days for having the perfect opening scene for a DotT adaptation

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I saw an interview with Kirkman for that "Honest Trailers" YT and he's visibly weird enough that it seems plausible.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the Paul Bunyan thing-- when the context for why Superman is punching is some "stop the scary bad guy" stuff then it's innately less cool than just reading some random shonen.

When Superman has a fun context for why he's doing a punch-- like he's punching away giant bees so he can access some rare alien maple syrup for a child god's pancakes as a last-minute babysitting gig or else the Earth will get swept into a cosmic dustbin by Mommy and Daddy-- then it may be dumb but it's fun.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

Have you ever seen Clark Kent and Superman in the same room, at the same time?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"Superman is what I do. Clark Kent is who's inside me... I MEAN WHO I AM INSIDE, DESREGARD!"
Lex: Gottem!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bitterandtwisted posted:

Day of the Triffids is my favourite Wyndham novel and I've always slightly resented 28 days for having the perfect opening scene for a DotT adaptation

Have you seen the 1981 adaptation? It frightened the absolute crap out of me when I was a little kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJkmGW8FYQ

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

Pookah posted:

Have you seen the 1981 adaptation? It frightened the absolute crap out of me when I was a little kid.

I watched it recently. Still deeply unsettling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mind the walrus posted:

I saw an interview with Kirkman for that "Honest Trailers" YT and he's visibly weird enough that it seems plausible.

One of Kirkman's long time friends and writing partner used to post a lot in BSS. In The Walking Dead thread someone accused Kirkman of ripping off The Road for arc in the series and he defended Kirkman by saying 'I have known the man 15 years, and in that time I cam guarantee you he has never picked up a book without pictures.'

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

klugman posted:

I watched it recently. Still deeply unsettling.

Good to hear, I don't think I've watched it in at least 20 years. I might just dig it out for a spooky Chrismas nostalgia trip.

Edit: just watched the first episode and it definitely holds up and the triffids are still pretty scary

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Dec 16, 2023

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pookah posted:

I haven't, even though my paperback copy has a still from it as the cover art. I have seen the 60s and 2000s ones. Will have to check it out

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's so many ways that a mini-series of rubber plants shuffling around with menacing intent could go wrong. But they built such a good tone of detached creeping dread upon the already solid core concept that it tingles my spine just remembering flashes of it.

Wikipedia says it's only 6 episodes of 26 minutes a piece, so it'll make for an easy re-watch in the near future. (It has always been my favourite Wyndham, too.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of old British media which was super creepy, I was reminded recently of the old novelty song "Gimme Dat Ding":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIb7Ms4xHc

The song is narrated by a metronome which has lost it's 'ding' and can't keep time any more, which was originally written for a bizarre Alice In Wonderland-like segment called "Oliver in the Overworld" in the 1970 British kids show Little Big Time. It's the story of a kid traveling to the machine world to try and repair his old grandfather clock and apart from the songs which were released on LP and some promo ads I think most of the show is now lost media.

It really was creepy as gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjPwemx-NU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that's that special post-WW2 white people racism, oh yeah

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of old British media which was super creepy, I was reminded recently of the old novelty song "Gimme Dat Ding":

The song is narrated by a metronome which has lost it's 'ding' and can't keep time any more, which was originally written for a bizarre Alice In Wonderland-like segment called "Oliver in the Overworld" in the 1970 British kids show Little Big Time. It's the story of a kid traveling to the machine world to try and repair his old grandfather clock and apart from the songs which were released on LP and some promo ads I think most of the show is now lost media.

Good God I had no idea that's where that song comes from. That is some Candle Cove poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arivia posted:

that's that special post-WW2 white people racism, oh yeah

Oh it goes back further than that, black and white minstrelsy was popular in the UK from the 1830s onwards. Actor David Harewood did a good documentary about the history of minstrelsy in the UK recently: https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/proginfo/2023/30/david-harewood-on-blackface
It has a segment about how there were campaigns in the 1960s to get the BBC to stop airing the Black And White Minstrel Show but they kept making it until the late 70s

Related, Harewood was the first black actor to play Othello at the National Theatre in 1997

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh it goes back further than that, black and white minstrelsy was popular in the UK from the 1830s onwards. Actor David Harewood did a good documentary about the history of minstrelsy in the UK recently: https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/proginfo/2023/30/david-harewood-on-blackface
It has a segment about how there were campaigns in the 1960s to get the BBC to stop airing the Black And White Minstrel Show but they kept making it until the late 70s

Related, Harewood was the first black actor to play Othello at the National Theatre in 1997

yeah but there's like a special kind of post-ww2 racism in cultural products, especially for children, where it's like "we like other races! we like they have their own strengths and differences! we're going to illustrate this with offensive stereotypes made into puppets! it's positive right? it's a good thing right? ...right?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arivia posted:

yeah but there's like a special kind of post-ww2 racism in cultural products, especially for children, where it's like "we like other races! we like they have their own strengths and differences! we're going to illustrate this with offensive stereotypes made into puppets! it's positive right? it's a good thing right? ...right?"

Also a central aspect of that "positive" depiction via offensive stereotypes was that it was almost always performed/created by white people. That documentary I mentioned goes into the history of blackface performances and talks about how the original blackface performer Thomas D Rice (who popularised the name Jim Crow) used to brag about how his depiction of black culture "refined" and "improved" upon it. It was always a bizarre form of appropriation but also erasure/replacement

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bitterandtwisted posted:

I haven't, even though my paperback copy has a still from it as the cover art. I have seen the 60s and 2000s ones. Will have to check it out
Day of the Triffids is my favourite book, period, but I'd somehow never heard of the bbc adaptation until this year. I watched it over halloween and IMO it is media that has aged extremely well.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

You can't fool me, that's just a photograph of the Robot Devil.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mad Hamish posted:

You can't fool me, that's just a photograph of the Robot Devil.

Funny, I don't remember the Robot Devil wearing blackface

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That was a different evil computer.

HAL Jolson.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

That was a different evil computer.

HAL Jolson.