Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/AnimeSerbia/status/1735779118405558305?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

mdemone posted:

In the 2020 season, Anthony Rendon had 232 ABs in 52 games.

And led the major leagues in GIDP for that season.

To be fair, teams only played 60 games that season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

There was an article in The Athletic this afternoon that they're waiting for Bellinger's demands to come down to like a three-year deal because of his injury history.

It specifically sounds like they're hoping he'd take a Stroman-like deal for only a couple years and a mondo AAV with some opt outs so he can stopgap for PCA and figuring out if any of Mervis/Cassie/Mcgreary can make a jump to starting MLB 1B.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair, teams only played 60 games that season.

I will get that bastard every time I can

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Ohtani: I was very moved by Kobe Bryant's personal message

Ichiro: Who the gently caress is Tom Brady

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bregor posted:

Oh poo poo they signed Hunter Renfroe as well

Are the Royals… BACK?!

Wait...

:lost:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

There was an article in The Athletic this afternoon that they're waiting for Bellinger's demands to come down to like a three-year deal because of his injury history.

They're going to be waiting a long time. I didn't expect Ohtani but I figured at bare minimum they'd bring back Bellinger on like a 6-year $180 million deal or something. Didn't expect them to actually get worse this offseason.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Yamamoto has posted on TruthSocial that he is going to the St Louis Cardinals

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

mdemone posted:

Did Anthony Rendon post this?

....don't move. Stay where you are.

don't get me wrong, it is, at best, one of the 5 worst contracts in MLB history, it's just that it's bad in interesting, unique ways and not the normal "we signed someone with a bum leg to a 10 year deal how did it not work out"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Carpenter is not gonna be around long but Kerr should be a reasonably solid AA pickup

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1735808242129756541?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Professional baseball player named Ray Kerr and it's wasted on a pitcher...there is no God....

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

elentar posted:

Carpenter is not gonna be around long but Kerr should be a reasonably solid AA pickup

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1735808242129756541?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

AJ, what are you doing?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheFlyingLlama posted:

don't get me wrong, it is, at best, one of the 5 worst contracts in MLB history, it's just that it's bad in interesting, unique ways and not the normal "we signed someone with a bum leg to a 10 year deal how did it not work out"

Almost like the man don't wanna play

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Braves are having a fascinating offseason.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It feels like AA struck out on Nola and Gray and doesn’t like any of the other free agent pitchers, so he’s blowing his offseason budget giving other teams salary relief in exchange for minor pieces he likes

The Braves are good enough that they can sleepwalk into the playoffs with this strategy, but it’s going to be disappointing when their big starting pitcher addition is like Sean Manaea or something

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Doofus on MLB network: "Right now if I had to pick an AL Central winner, the Royals would be right there. I think they would be the team I go with."

https://nitter.net/mlbnetwork/status/1735804531617796270?t=EIzYGybqe1-6HNOCZkOKhA

I think the Twins are still the best team in the division but I'd love for the Royals to be relevant past the end of the school year.

Also they traded Edward Oliveras to the Pirates since he's basically a clone of Renfroe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dodgers with a touching video of Kobe that they honestly just had kicking around the office six years ago and forgot about until after AI deepfakes took off.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Exodor posted:

Doofus on MLB network: "Right now if I had to pick an AL Central winner, the Royals would be right there. I think they would be the team I go with."

https://nitter.net/mlbnetwork/status/1735804531617796270?t=EIzYGybqe1-6HNOCZkOKhA

I think the Twins are still the best team in the division but I'd love for the Royals to be relevant past the end of the school year.

Also they traded Edward Oliveras to the Pirates since he's basically a clone of Renfroe.

I think the Tigers rotation could be pretty good and they got a lot of hitters that could explode

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hi I’m Kobe Bryant and I think it would be great if

SHOHEI. OHTANI.

signed with the

LOS ANGELES. DODGERS.

Lmao

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I keep thinking about this and the more I think about it the weirder it gets. Like, it's one thing to read that the Dodgers did this bizarre thing to entice a guy to come work for them, but assume you're in Shohei's shoes. Your employer, literally whomever you work for, I don't care, it doesn't matter, this is all weird labor theatre, but your employer shows you a video, supposedly from SIX YEARS AGO, of a famous person who just happens to also work in your city in a somewhat related but not exactly comparable industry, politely asking you to please, choose this specific organization for your employment, because, hey, look, it's just neat. The whole video plays, and the lights come up, and a roomful of extremely powerful business people, who, again, are possibly the people you might soon be working for, are staring back at you, massive smiles on their faces, while you try to deal with having just watched a six-year-old video of [a]a dead person[/a] making an even less specific pitch than the one that they themselves have just tried to make to you. What do you say? How do you respond to that insanity while still demanding a salary roughly equal to the GDP of American Samoa?

Because I can honestly say I don't think that sort of thing would actually HELP them land my services. That's the sort of thing I'd excuse myself to the restroom and then climb out the window to escape. It's so. weird.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Craptacular! posted:

Dodgers with a touching video of Kobe that they honestly just had kicking around the office six years ago and forgot about until after AI deepfakes took off.

If the Kobe video turns out to be a deepfake the Dodgers are officially the scummiest org in all of professional sports

I think they know that though so I don't think it's likely to be a deepfake

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 16, 2023

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Also if it was filmed that long ago, presumably for his initial recruitment… did he not meet with the dodgers? If so, did they not show him the video? Did they just show it to him again 6 years later and hope he forgot?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Also if it was filmed that long ago, presumably for his initial recruitment… did he not meet with the dodgers? If so, did they not show him the video? Did they just show it to him again 6 years later and hope he forgot?

Maybe they got the video late, or maybe ohtani decided on the Angels before sitting down with the Dodgers was my thought

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Ohtani wasn't going to an NL team since the DH wasn't implemented yet.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 16, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jubs posted:

Ohtani wasn't going to an NL team since the DH wasn't implemented yet.

As fun as it would be for it to turn out to be a deepfake, yeah it's this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ohtani reportedly balked at the Yankees after they showed him a persuasive video from Henry Kissinger.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Realcontrakt

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Poque posted:

Ohtani reportedly balked at the Yankees after they showed him a persuasive video from Henry Kissinger.

Ohtani denying Kissinger a new phylactery what done him in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm still trying to figure out what unrelated dead celebrity pitch would actually get me to take a job. David Bowie maybe?

"Hello rickiep00h. I'm David Bowie. You may remember me from such films as The Prestige and The Last Temptation of Christ. My wife Iman and I were strolling through Midtown yesterday and we thought it would be smashing if you came to New York and work for Random House. Alright, ta, I've a plane to catch. We're having holiday in Switzerland. See you soon I hope! Remember, Random House! Good people, they say!"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hell yeah.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dennis Farina telling Shohei Ohtani he can't have an Old Style cause he's from California now

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mdemone posted:

Almost like the man don't wanna play

Sorry, no habla ingles

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

"Anything to declare?"

"Yeah, don't go to (TORONTO)"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

If the Kobe video turns out to be a deepfake the Dodgers are officially the scummiest org in all of professional sports

I think they know that though so I don't think it's likely to be a deepfake

I was trying to be funny and not at all serious.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paper Tiger posted:

"Anything to declare?"

"Yeah, don't go to (TORONTO)"

Absolutely perfect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hey Yamamoto

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
According to Jim Bowden both the Red Sox and Giants have offered Yamamoto 300+ million

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

300 million