Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Platystemon posted:

She thinks that you have cancer lol.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
wherein we learn Petey is bald

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lolling so hard
shine on covid thread

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Platystemon posted:

99% sure it's this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

fosborb posted:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

thread title

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fosborb posted:

Owned.

Apologies for the half-assed non-AI upscaling job:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

And it's been loving stupid every time. The loving sagas thread had multiple people go so insane that they astroturfed transphobia against themselves for clout. Goons make poo poo posts on every topic.

Hahaha well put :mmmhmm:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
went to a Christmas party, had tons of fun, made christmassy cocktails, had white elephant gift exchange, played party games

several people were coughing a lot

went outside to take off my mask and eat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Zantie posted:

https://twitter.com/JusDayDa/status/1735841554785587390

Because Twitter is making GBS threads itself and not embedding:

If you've got symptoms and find you are negative
Consume fiber to liberate *expletive*
Let it soak or steep
And your swab give a sweep
So your test may show up as bright red!

cool lmao

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Owned.

Apologies for the half-assed non-AI upscaling job:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

Baldly going out in public.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

They need to make horse pax to really bring the pandemic full circle.

gonna buy some at tractor supply

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3245309/singaporeans-told-mask-crowded-places-covid-19-cases-soar posted:

Singaporeans told to mask up in crowded places as Covid-19 cases soar
  • The city state will also open a second Covid treatment facility to deal with the rising infections that topped 56,000 last week
  • The health ministry urged the public to keep their vaccination up to date to stay protected
(..)
Starting December 19, MOH will be giving daily updates on Covid-19 cases on its website to provide the latest information during this period of surge in cases.

It has been giving weekly updates for Covid-19 cases on its website.

As Covid-19 testing is no longer routinely required in Singapore, the number of reported Covid-19 cases is expected to under-represent the actual situation, MOH said.

To derive a more accurate estimate of the number of Covid-19 cases domestically, MOH calculates the estimated number of infections, taking into account various factors.

These include the number of acute respiratory infection attendances at polyclinics, the proportion of acute respiratory infection samples from polyclinics that test positive for Covid-19 for each epidemiological week, and the share of national acute respiratory infection cases that are seen in polyclinics.

The estimated number of Covid-19 cases in the week of December 3 to 9 rose to 56,043 cases, compared to 32,035 cases in the week before that.

MOH reported that the average daily hospitalisations rose to 350 from 225 the week before, and the average daily cases in intensive care units (ICUs) increased to nine cases from four cases previously.

These cases were infected by JN.1, a sublineage of the coronavirus’ Omicron subvariant BA.2.86.

JN.1 now accounts for the vast majority of the Covid-19 cases in Singapore.

Based on the available international and domestic data, there is no clear indication now that BA.2.86 or JN.1 are more transmissible or cause more severe disease than other circulating variants, MOH said.

(..)
Isn't there though? Really? When you think about it?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:coronatoot:

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/get-vaccinated.html posted:

Peak Season for Respiratory Diseases Is Near: There Is Still Time to Get Vaccinated
December 14, 2023, 5:00 PM EDT
(..)
Respiratory illness activity is rising
COVID-19 hospitalizations are rising quickly. Since the summer, public health officials have been tracking a rise in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), which is caused by COVID-19. Influenza activity is growing in most parts of the country. RSV activity remains high in many areas. In some parts of the country, hospital beds for children are already nearly as full as they were this time last year. If these trends continue, the situation at the end of this month could again strain emergency departments and hospitals. Strain on the healthcare system could mean that patients with other serious health conditions may face delays in receiving care.

On December 14, CDC issued a Health Alert Network (HAN) advisory to healthcare providers and public health officials highlighting the increased respiratory disease activity occurring in the United States, particularly in the southern part of the country, and internationally. The HAN noted that low vaccination rates for COVID-19, influenza, and RSV could lead to more severe disease and a strained healthcare system for the rest of the season. These low rates can also lead to more days of missed work and school.

More than just respiratory viruses are spreading
Other respiratory germs are also circulating. This year, public health officials are also tracking a recent increase of pneumonia in children around the world, which can be caused by many types of bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Staying up to date with vaccines against pneumococcal disease and pertussis (whooping cough) can reduce the risk of pneumonia from those bacterial infections.

It’s worth noting that getting vaccinated against respiratory viruses can also help reduce the risk of getting pneumonia caused by bacteria and fungi. By preventing a viral infection, you keep your immune system strong and help prevent other germs from taking advantage when you’re sick.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Isn't there though? Really? When you think about it?

Well that’s just one theory.

Maybe everyone started licking doorknobs.

We need to present all sides here.

Pingui posted:

:coronatoot:

quote:

It’s worth noting that getting vaccinated against respiratory viruses can also help reduce the risk of getting pneumonia caused by bacteria and fungi. By preventing a viral infection, you keep your immune system strong and help prevent other germs from taking advantage when you’re sick.

This line is absurd.

It’s like campaigning for wearing helmets when cycling with the argument that you might be struck by a stray golf ball while on the bicycle, and then the helmet would protect you.

That life jacket may, in the event of a shark attack, keep your mangled body buoyant enough to be saved.

Wear sunscreen not because of the Sun’s harmful rays, but because what if you make a snap decision to go to a blacklight rave?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Dec 16, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)
This line is absurd.
(..)

Yeah, but it also has to thread the needle of saying that getting illnesses over and over again isn't good for your immune system, while emphatically not stating that illnesses such as COVID-19 are immune suppressing (at least temporarily).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of immune suppression, the :denmark: data on RSV is interesting. Last lockdown was December 2021, so children up to 2 years old should be back to normal, especially considering the extremely large RSV waves of 21 and 22. However when looking at new weekly RSV hospitalizations in the 1-2 year old cohort, it looks like this:

The claim that this is simply down to more testing inherently falls flat when discussing hospitalizations, but considering how cases look, I can understand why they would say that. It is also apparent that there is much more testing going on:

The problem is that test positivity has also gone up, indicating that relatively speaking we are testing less:

Finally, to curb accusations that the data here is cherry picked, here are the new weekly hospitalizations for the total population (cases and positive percentage is similarly elevated as above, though less pronounced):

Source (the official Danish CDC RSV dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/RS-virus/

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Who knows if it's actually effective against covid, but man, whatever you spit out after gargling is nasty, and I'm glad it's not inside of me anymore. I highly recommend hitting that listerine. Breath smells great too.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Who knows if it's actually effective against covid, but man, whatever you spit out after gargling is nasty, and I'm glad it's not inside of me anymore. I highly recommend hitting that listerine. Breath smells great too.

Please don't use the Listerine with alcohol. The alcohol concentration is too low to be antiseptic, and it dries the poo poo out of your mouth. Bad time to have more dental emergencies. Stick to the non-alcohol variety.

The essential oils won't get you hosed up though.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

holky gently caress :stonk: lol. just lol. they're actually getting away with this poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/JUGNE2t.mp4

edit: spoilered for grossness -Poundsand

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Dec 16, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Platystemon posted:

Masks are the new head scarf.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus posted:

holky gently caress :stonk: lol. just lol. they're actually getting away with this poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/JUGNE2t.mp4

edit: spoilered for grossness -Poundsand

retard mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We've discussed this in the thread and I am happy to see that earlier is better, even considering a potential for rebound. I think this speaks to the Paxlovid treatment being too short, rather than taken too early and it is a shame we likely won't ever get conclusive evidence on that. Anyways, don't postpone taking a course of Paxlovid.
"Optimal timing of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir treatment after COVID-19 symptom onset or diagnosis: target trial emulation"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-43706-0 posted:

Abstract
Reports of symptomatic rebound and/or test re-positivity among COVID-19 patients following the standard five-day treatment course of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir have sparked debates regarding optimal treatment timing and dosage. It is unclear whether initiating nirmatrelvir/ritonavir immediately after symptom onset would improve clinical outcomes and/or lead to post-treatment viral burden rebound due to inadequate viral clearance during treatment. Here we show that, by emulating a randomized target trial using real-world electronic medical record data from all 87,070 adult users of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir in Hong Kong between 16th March 2022 and 15th January 2023, early initiation of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir treatment (0 to 1 days after symptom onset or diagnosis) significantly reduced the incidence of 28-day all-cause mortality and hospitalization compared to delayed initiation (2 or more days) (absolute risk reduction [ARR]: 1.50% (95% confidence interval 1.17-1.80%); relative risk [RR]: 0.77 (0.73, 0.82)), but may be associated with a significant elevated risk of viral burden rebound (ARR: −1.08% (−1.55%, −0.46%)), although the latter estimates were associated with high uncertainty due to limited sample sizes. As such, patients should continue to initiate nirmatrelvir/ritonavir early after symptom onset or diagnosis to better protect against the more serious outcomes of hospitalization and mortality.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pingui posted:

We've discussed this in the thread and I am happy to see that earlier is better, even considering a potential for rebound. I think this speaks to the Paxlovid treatment being too short, rather than taken too early and it is a shame we likely won't ever get conclusive evidence on that. Anyways, don't postpone taking a course of Paxlovid.
"Optimal timing of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir treatment after COVID-19 symptom onset or diagnosis: target trial emulation"

I am obviously not a doctor but it seems kind of weird to me that there aren't more studies specifically addressing that question. The comparison to me feels like it'd be concluding antibiotics didn't work because when you didn't take a full course of them the bacteria came back stronger than before, isn't the known solution just keep taking them tell it's gone? Obviously this isn't apples to apples but you'd think question #1 would be whether longer courses worked better. Is it because the side effects of pax are considered too severe to take a lot of?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

PoundSand posted:

I am obviously not a doctor but it seems kind of weird to me that there aren't more studies specifically addressing that question. The comparison to me feels like it'd be concluding antibiotics didn't work because when you didn't take a full course of them the bacteria came back stronger than before, isn't the known solution just keep taking them tell it's gone? Obviously this isn't apples to apples but you'd think question #1 would be whether longer courses worked better. Is it because the side effects of pax are considered too severe to take a lot of?

As far as I can tell it is just because Paxlovid isn't approved for a longer course, so to test it in a scientific sense, you need dispensation, which means approval for an expensive study (which inherently needs to be pretty big and extremely responsive). The only party that could do it would be Pfizer, but why in the world would they do that when they already got the approval? - it would just mean extra cost, with the potential benefit being halving production capacity.

Tl;dr: :capitalism:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Lol 💯

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Petey posted:

a lady came up to me after hot yoga and said "you're so brave. you're s o strong." because i did it in a vented n95. buddy, i am not that brave, but i am indeed trying to remain strong.

do you have access to nuclear weapons

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
this came out a week ago, might have been posted already

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/en/catalogue/75-006-X202300100015

big headline: 3.5 million canadians had long covid (symptoms lasting at least 3 months post infection) and 2.1 million people still have it (as of june 2023). 2.1 million people works out to about 5% of the population :thumbsup:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

RealityWarCriminal posted:

this came out a week ago, might have been posted already

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/en/catalogue/75-006-X202300100015

big headline: 3.5 million canadians had long covid (symptoms lasting at least 3 months post infection) and 2.1 million people still have it (as of june 2023). 2.1 million people works out to about 5% of the population :thumbsup:

Yep, and the most common long term symptoms now are "fatigue (65.5%), brain fog (39.0%) and shortness of breath (28.0%) "

People persist in thinking "lol it's just that you can't smell pickles, teehee so cute" (even though losing smell and taste wasn't really a minor thing).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Losing smell and taste means nerve damage :psyduck:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

fosborb posted:

it is true, so; lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

voted 5

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nothus posted:

Losing smell and taste means nerve damage :psyduck:

just a little brain damage

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2023/apr...ontal%20cortex.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

5% of the total population is whole lot better than I expected. Maybe I've been wrong and allowing 5% of everyone to get all hosed up is not really all that bad since we get to return to normal life and enjoy our sysco appetizers at restaurants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008