Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It is absolutely worth doing once to get the Paragon points.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Apparently maxing renown is the worst poo poo to do ingame, so you could probably skip that if it doesn't sound interesting.

Idk if it's the worst poo poo, it's just really tedious. IF you're playing casually just grab the statues, and then whenever theres a BH or HT in an area, try to do the sidequests there so you're knocking out a bunch of stuff you need at the same time.

Sitting there and slamming through 5+ NMDs feels worse to me but I did my renown grind way back in s0 so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s always better to wait to try a new mechanic or event lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I still haven't finished the renown grind for every region lol. gently caress that poo poo

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

leftist heap posted:

I still haven't finished the renown grind for every region lol. gently caress that poo poo

i keep saying that I'm going to eventually and I should but its such a loving slog especially since I didn't do it season one where i was doing a bunch of side quests on the first character where I was in that last tier already

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I cry every time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I could be wrong, but, I think the Christmas cosmetics remain for sale from gileon even after you buy them. Don't waste another 50 token bucks buying the same back trophy twice!

Edit - oh Jesus it's way worse than that. When you buy something from the shop, it disappears immediately. But next time you log in for a new session, it is back on the list! You'd swear you bought it already, but you remember seeing it vanished from the list, so you buy it again

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 16, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

So what kind of build is this supposed to be good for? Why would I want to waste corpses like that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Corpse tendrils is op, op

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Corpses should be left in peace and not exploded or turned into demonic tentacles

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Corpses are useful and to be used at the right time, why would one want to automate such things when it would be wasteful most of the time?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I believe that ring is used in all endgame necro builds other than the weakest, WT3-only builds (blood surge, blight corpse explosion, pets, etc)

It doesn't just automate your most valuable skills; it also gives you a separate cooldown in addition to the manual cast on your tray. With a proper build, corpses are in absolute abundance so having the ring give you twice the benefit at half the effort is :discourse:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

That sounds like heresy to me :colbert:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

giZm posted:

So what kind of build is this supposed to be good for? Why would I want to waste corpses like that?

You need to go back to Necro school

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Tokubetsu posted:

Idk if it's the worst poo poo, it's just really tedious. IF you're playing casually just grab the statues, and then whenever theres a BH or HT in an area, try to do the sidequests there so you're knocking out a bunch of stuff you need at the same time.

Sitting there and slamming through 5+ NMDs feels worse to me but I did my renown grind way back in s0 so.

Does the renown/found statues progress carry over to future seasons?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Name Change posted:

Max out renown on your first character for the extra build points. Do all the Lilith statues once. From now on you will have the skill point/ability point unlocks for every character you make.

Run vampiretides and helltides until you are at least 55-60, for both XP and to get legendary affixes that you can use for your build.

If your build is performing well (stuff dies really fast even though it's 5-10 levels above you), just do the t3 capstone.

Optimal XP is your level + 10 monsters. Level + 11+ doesn't provide extra XP benefit.

I am not sure what your class is so can't necessarily recommend items.

anything specific for necromancers in the same situation?

giZm posted:

I'm lvl34 and that ring looks amazing, having to loving raise skeles and mouse over corpses manually is a pain

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Kaysette posted:

You need to go back to Necro school
My pet horde is doing just fine thank you very much. Who needs a fancy degree from some pompous school full of nerds :colbert:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Does the renown/found statues progress carry over to future seasons?

Yeah renown and statues become account wide once you do them once. So if you do them this season, it’ll count for any other season characters + when season ends all your eternal ones. I think that’s how it works now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You do have to redo strongholds and some random waypoints. And maybe side quest renown too?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You do have to redo strongholds and some random waypoints. And maybe side quest renown too?

You have to redo those but strongholds is a good source of XP and non major way points yeah. The main reason to do renown grind is for the paragon points and those stay.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Things that are totally permanent

- The Altars of Lilith (both the rewards from each individual altar, and also the Renown for each one)
- Areas Discovered (the map visibility and the Renown for each one)
- The bottom-half of each reward tier for each zone (+1 Skill Point, +1 Potion, +1 Skill Point, +80 Max Obols, +4 Paragon Points)

Even though your renown score resets each season, and you will in theory drop from Tier 5 to Tier 3, you have all the relevant rewards, forever.

Things that reset and it's annoying

- Waypoints
- Strongholds (blocks some Dungeons and Waypoints until you do 'em)

Other things that reset but who cares

- Dungeon Completions
- Side quests
- the top-half of each reward tier for each zone (a tiny pittance of XP and Gold)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

giZm posted:

It's lazybones unlimited essence.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

giZm posted:

This ring kicks rear end for necros, what are you talking about bruv?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Things that are totally permanent

- The Altars of Lilith (both the rewards from each individual altar, and also the Renown for each one)
- Areas Discovered (the map visibility and the Renown for each one)
- The bottom-half of each reward tier for each zone (+1 Skill Point, +1 Potion, +1 Skill Point, +80 Max Obols, +4 Paragon Points)

Even though your renown score resets each season, and you will in theory drop from Tier 5 to Tier 3, you have all the relevant rewards, forever.

Things that reset and it's annoying

- Waypoints
- Strongholds (blocks some Dungeons and Waypoints until you do 'em)

Other things that reset but who cares

- Dungeon Completions
- Side quests
- the top-half of each reward tier for each zone (a tiny pittance of XP and Gold)

Thanks! I just assumed everything reset so I wasn't going too hard on the renown stuff.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

giZm posted:

lol this is like no question the best ring for virtually every necromancer build

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm posted:

also gives some time for them to potentially up the reward because of "we hear you" feedback i guess

less than 24 hours between these. just doing the whispers in yuletide area and killing stuff in between has netted me enough treasure goblin kills to have both the arreat barding and arreat trophy drop which were super rare previously. dunno if it's just a numbers game with increased raw # of goblins or if the increased drops rate changes also affected their loot tables to

apparently there's also been another hotfix to AoZ to drop the difficulty again since streamer people have already made videos about it, but i'll be damned if i can find the loving patch notes. they have a page on battle.net explicitly for patch notes that isn't updated with either the latest hotfix or patch notes, who knows why the gently caress it even exists. not in the blue tracker either. i'm guessing they're for some reason still relying on twitter to disseminate their games information, but you can also just embed that poo poo on your patch notes page? or like put it in the games launcher? or make a post on the 'feed' section of the game that has been literally once since the launch of the game? or make a community post? idk doesnt seem that hard, they manage to do it for all their other games

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 17, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

harrygomm posted:

less than 24 hours between these. just doing the whispers in yuletide area and killing stuff in between has netted me enough treasure goblin kills to have both the arreat barding and arreat trophy drop which were super rare previously. dunno if it's just a numbers game with increased raw # of goblins or if the increased drops rate changes also affected their loot tables to

apparently there's also been another hotfix to AoZ to drop the difficulty again since streamer people have already made videos about it, but i'll be damned if i can find the loving patch notes. they have a page on battle.net explicitly for patch notes that isn't updated with either the latest hotfix or patch notes, who knows why the gently caress it even exists. not in the blue tracker either. i'm guessing they're for some reason still relying on twitter to disseminate their games information, but you can also just embed that poo poo on your patch notes page? or like put it in the games launcher? or make a post on the 'feed' section of the game that has been literally once since the launch of the game? or make a community post? idk doesnt seem that hard, they manage to do it for all their other games

IIRC it was unreasonably difficult to add things to the patch notes during my time there. Posting to socials still had some checks but was generally way lower friction

Not saying it's a good experience for players, just relaying my experience from the other end

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
seems to be an issue for lots of big developers. bungie is a disaster for that, 343, at least at the start of H:I was pretty bad from what i remember. maybe i just need to play better games

speaking of: the big buff to the end of NMD bag w/ seasonal currency is now up to ~1/2 of one bell (out of 440 needed to buy all cosmetics). i think someone before used the metric of clearing a NMD in 10 minutes which means about 17 hours of NMD per cosmetic, which iirc was exactly the same time quoted if you wanted to just get your cosmetics from NMD so, some buff i guess

e:

bamhand posted:

If you unlock tier 3 you can earn 1/3 of a token per NM dungeon you do. It would only take 17 hours to earn a cosmetic if you can do a dungeon every 10 minutes.

so yeah. at least the frozen totems and world events drop 2-3X currency so that's useful at least

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

harrygomm posted:

speaking of: the big buff to the end of NMD bag w/ seasonal currency is now up to ~1/2 of one bell (out of 440 needed to buy all cosmetics). i think someone before used the metric of clearing a NMD in 10 minutes which means about 17 hours of NMD per cosmetic, which iirc was exactly the same time quoted if you wanted to just get your cosmetics from NMD so, some buff i guess
Does it scale with difficulty? If not I can see it being worth manufacturing a bunch of the lowest level sigils and just tearing through them.

I have been trying wudijo's optimised path through the yuletide and it's netting a lot of currency, but is really starting to get boring as poo poo and I'm only on ~150 out of the apparently 440 you need to buy everything.

Also tried abbatoir level 1 with my ball sorcerer. I was doing pretty well, but then all of the enemies disappeared along with my DR and Disobedience stacks, the guardians spawned on top of me and I got one-shot by what looked like a red charged bolt. I have no idea how I would survive that. Might not have helped that I was in conduit form at the time though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I'm running a two core rogue. Obviously nothing locked in for growth but I liked two core more than twisting after playing with both.

I'm not much of a rogue expert so I don't even know what two core means! I have been rolling Puncture + Twisting Blades and the CQB passive w/knockdown spam, and everything melts even with crappy equipment, I was clearing capstones 10-15 levels earlier than usual. It helps that rogue just gets vulnerability forever.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

harrygomm posted:

yeah nah the game isn't a buggy pos to the degree that it causes windows reinstalls to be the thing to default to

network speed doesn't really matter any more for gaming in the US since the floor is generally so high (barring edge cases like rural areas with 56K only or high latency satellite internet). i might check the three network test options blizzard normally throws out: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34785

WinMTR is usually the third/last thing to check, but the top of that article links to the pathping and tracert pages as well which can at least rule out the much more common issue of some pos middle man service or node being the root cause
Thanks for the info!

I know this was a while ago, but I finally had a chance to try these out. I ain't no sysadmin, but I'd wager a tracert report that times out before it gets to Blizzard and a pathping that shows a 96% loss at one hop means my ISP is probably to blame.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The NMD cache seems to have a pretty wide range of potential contents. I've gotten between 100 and 250 fragments and between 0 and 25 heirlooms

On average I'd say that two NMDs gives you 3 tokens

Doing the whisper fragments in yuletide while looking for Santa events is the best way to quickly get dozens and dozens of tokens, but the NMD handful is nice if you also have reason to be running those.

Big missed opportunity to only have the red hooded nightmare show up in 1 random event. He should've had an Uber mode with a world boss countdown and a big fuckin' pile of tokens for your trouble

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Name Change posted:

I'm not much of a rogue expert so I don't even know what two core means! I have been rolling Puncture + Twisting Blades and the CQB passive w/knockdown spam, and everything melts even with crappy equipment, I was clearing capstones 10-15 levels earlier than usual. It helps that rogue just gets vulnerability forever.

At this point it's flurry/rapid fire spam after dodge roll to trigger AoE stun or crits from Rapid Fire. I've gotten incredibly powerful from 50-52 even just picking up statues and Paragon points + getting used to the rotation adjustments off of my leveling build.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Does it scale with difficulty? If not I can see it being worth manufacturing a bunch of the lowest level sigils and just tearing through them.

I have been trying wudijo's optimised path through the yuletide and it's netting a lot of currency, but is really starting to get boring as poo poo and I'm only on ~150 out of the apparently 440 you need to buy everything.

i'm only level 80ish so i've only been doing NMD in the mid 20s to mid 30s but i've not noticed a difference between those two gaps yet. if anyone who is still playing that can clear a ~90+ and has done the winter event enough to get a tier 3 thing in town is around, let us know if you get more than about ~150 of the lowest tier winter currency

Disco Godfather posted:

Thanks for the info!

I know this was a while ago, but I finally had a chance to try these out. I ain't no sysadmin, but I'd wager a tracert report that times out before it gets to Blizzard and a pathping that shows a 96% loss at one hop means my ISP is probably to blame.

that or the way your ISP is pathing you. you can try running a VPN as a bit of a test, they can sometimes cause your traffic to be routed in such a way to avoid that problematic node and, despite the potential speed loss of the VPN overhead, give a better experience overall by not hitting something that causes you to lose 96% of your traffic

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
These were the caches from four ~58 to 62 NMDs I just did

Averaging 172 fragments and 7 heirlooms.

I'll run some higher level NMDs and see if they're noticeably different!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The NMD cache seems to have a pretty wide range of potential contents. I've gotten between 100 and 250 fragments and between 0 and 25 heirlooms

On average I'd say that two NMDs gives you 3 tokens

Doing the whisper fragments in yuletide while looking for Santa events is the best way to quickly get dozens and dozens of tokens, but the NMD handful is nice if you also have reason to be running those.

Big missed opportunity to only have the red hooded nightmare show up in 1 random event. He should've had an Uber mode with a world boss countdown and a big fuckin' pile of tokens for your trouble

He should've just been a random spawn, maybe with a higher spawn rate than Butcher

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

These were the caches from four ~58 to 62 NMDs I just did

Averaging 172 fragments and 7 heirlooms.

I'll run some higher level NMDs and see if they're noticeably different!

I did a 70, 80, and 90 and they were all about the same as the above!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I did a 70, 80, and 90 and they were all about the same as the above!

yeah I ran a bunch of 90+ and its the same. No incentive to run higher NMDs for these things. God what a boring slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MrMidnight posted:

yeah I ran a bunch of 90+ and its the same. No incentive to run higher NMDs for these things. God what a boring slog

Pro tip is don't run NMDs if your only goal is get the christmas tokens. Just do a tour through christmastown every so often! Every frigid totem thing has between 3 and 6 heirlooms, and every blighted revelry event is a santa token + five totems of heirlooms

The slowest and worst ways to grind christmas event are NMD and just killing enemies as if it was helltide. Those heirlooms are the key!! You can get the ~100 tokens you need for your class & its weapons in under an hour. Or more reasonably, do it over a few ~5 minute chunks every so often when there are whisper events there.