Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

do you have the original odin, the lite or the new 2?

e: looking at retrosizer it just seems kinda small to me, like it's the size of a switch lite.. and i usually use my regular switch with hori split pad pro for hand comfort

Mine’s an original Odin Pro. The original Base, Pro and Lite were physically identical, but the new 2 has larger flared grips on the back. The originals do have shaped grips on the back which might not be clear from a 2D picture on retrosizer - it’s nothing like a full controller grip, far more subtle but it does help.

It’s definitely smaller than a regular Switch but I’ve never held a Switch Lite to compare. I do find it a lot more comfortable than my Switch with regular joycons though - a lot of my recent play has been Switch games I could be playing on actual hardware rather than emulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Retroid Pocket 4 and 4 Pro will be available to pre-order, starting 12/21/23 @ 9am BJT (12/20/23 @ 8:00pm EST)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Are they pay upfront preorders or pay when shipped preorders?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The latter when I bought my 3+ at least

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm sorry, this is a thing? I have a switch from like day 1 and I can install android on it?!?

Yes. I've never done it, so I wouldn't know where to look for a guide though. If you're interested maybe ask in the Console/Handheld homebrew thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

This is the official guide for the project. https://wiki.switchroot.org/wiki/android/10-q-setup-guide

However, if you’re just after emulators and such, you can just hack your Switch and play those on the emuNAND (it’ll make sense if you choose to go this route) or dual boot Android for Steam Link and then Horizon OS (the Switch OS) for everything else.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Note that you can only play like sonic mania on the switch emulators for android on Android for the switch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuckkkkkk. Maybe I should email them about swapping my order to a 4 Pro.

What was the time frame of when Pocket 3+ preorders going up to when they started shipping them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

11 days according to gmail

e: also I think they took payment right away actually, I was mixing up an order

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So 11 days from preorder to when they started shipping?

gently caress it, I've emailed them to see if I can swap to a Pocket 4 Pro if the turn around will be relatively quick.

:rip: see-through purple RP3+

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
This is poor timing on my part but if anyone is interested in a RP 3+ in clurple send me a PM. I’m not sure what they go for now with the 4/Pro out but I got it earlier this year and never got it set up properly so it’s in pretty good shape.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Smart people are going to wait for the RP4+ Pro :smaug:

They can't fool me with the "oh we are releasing a Pro model so you don't think there will be a plus model in 4 months". I've been on this rodeo before.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm waiting for the 4pro + metal edition. It's like waiting for a new version of street fighter.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm playing the 35xx way more than I thought I would. Turns out that it's been too long since I played Advance Wars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

They can't fool me with the "oh we are releasing a Pro model so you don't think there will be a plus model in 4 months". I've been on this rodeo before.
rp4xx plus

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am holding out my Advanced War replay until 35xx+ SP is released. Burnt orange or yellow version.

BTW I definitely need to speed up the pointless chattering cut scenes in Nintendo puzzle games.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Depends on the NUC and what you expect to run.

It's the Hades canyon i7

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Food Boner posted:

It's the Hades canyon i7

Yeah you shouldn’t have any problems at least up to GameCube imo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

They didn't do it with the 2s or Flip so I think they've gotten it out of their system

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I’ve got a 405v, an RP2S+ and an Analogue Pocket. Which is the easiest way to play a good beat em up? I’m thinking 2-4 players. Simpsons, x-men, stuff like that. My current controllers are an Xbox Hiro arcade stick, one of the new 8bitdo ones, a wireless switch pro bad and an 8bitdo snes pad.

I really hope the answer is analogue pocket since I have the dock.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Definitely preordering a Retroid 4 Pro when it’s available. Will be the ultimate WiFi game streaming device + dc/ps2/gamecube emulator.

There’s always something new and better on the horizon, but it will be a while before any other new consoles can be emulated on handheld hardware.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I have an RP2+ and use it never relative to my miyoo mini plus. I'm guessing the new RPs are probably not my bag and I should wait to scratch my purchasing itch until the miyoo flip comes out, right?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Grrr, going to have to carve out a $200-ish space in my budget at some point. I love my 35XX, but I've definitely got an itch of "wouldn't it be great to play [PS2/Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube game] without having to go and unbox the console and plug it into an old TV?"

If it has proper Jaguar emulation as well rather than the 35XX's 1fps-if-lucky version, all the better.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Small Strange Bird posted:

Grrr, going to have to carve out a $200-ish space in my budget at some point. I love my 35XX, but I've definitely got an itch of "wouldn't it be great to play [PS2/Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube game] without having to go and unbox the console and plug it into an old TV?"

If it has proper Jaguar emulation as well rather than the 35XX's 1fps-if-lucky version, all the better.

I didn't realize there were any psychopaths out there actually wanting to play Jaguar.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Alucard posted:

I have an RP2+ and use it never relative to my miyoo mini plus.

any idea why? the vertical form factor? linux?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Explosionface posted:

I didn't realize there were any psychopaths out there actually wanting to play Jaguar.

lol if you don't get your weekly dose of trevor mcfur in the crescent galaxy

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Explosionface posted:

Tempest 2000 fo life, yo. (And AvP is worth replaying too.)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Small Strange Bird posted:

Tempest 2000 fo life, yo. (And AvP is worth replaying too.)

Is tempest 2000 better than N2O for PlayStation though? That had the best soundtrack (the Crystal Method)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

IG-88 posted:

I’ve got a 405v, an RP2S+ and an Analogue Pocket. Which is the easiest way to play a good beat em up? I’m thinking 2-4 players. Simpsons, x-men, stuff like that. My current controllers are an Xbox Hiro arcade stick, one of the new 8bitdo ones, a wireless switch pro bad and an 8bitdo snes pad.

I really hope the answer is analogue pocket since I have the dock.

The emulator devices likely runOpenBoR, and Streets of Rage Remake is supported by Portmaster :getin:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

any idea why? the vertical form factor? linux?

The smaller form factor is nice, but I think the kicker for me was the fact that my RP2+ would always experience significant battery drain if I turned it off and didn't use it for like a week. When I do the same with the Miyoo it barely has a change in battery level when I pick it back up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Explosionface posted:

where did you learn to fly?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

STONE COLD 64 posted:

where did you learn to fly?

avoid the ground

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Reasonable imho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah OK. I emailed them on the weekend about changing my order into a RP4 Pro and haven't heard back yet.

100% going to get them to change it if it's shipping in January.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

beer gas canister posted:

The emulator devices likely runOpenBoR, and Streets of Rage Remake is supported by Portmaster :getin:

I'd never heard of OpenBoR until I got my first Anbernic but now it seems like everything supports it. Are there any OpenBoR projects generally considered to be must-haves, or is it a Zelda Classic kind of thing where it's basically just a novelty that occasionally manages to produce a few inspired moments amid a sea of overly limited and amateurish design?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got a semi-engrish email back from sales stating the RP4 isn't out and to check back in 1-2 weeks.

Anyone know if sales@goretroid.com is the best way to get in contact with them regarding my order?
Or should I try the discord?

Basically wanna cancel/get credit/moved over to a preorder.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Infinitum posted:

Got a semi-engrish email back from sales stating the RP4 isn't out and to check back in 1-2 weeks.

Anyone know if sales@goretroid.com is the best way to get in contact with them regarding my order?
Or should I try the discord?

Basically wanna cancel/get credit/moved over to a preorder.

Discord isn’t a bad idea, I know they’ve got some US based community manager folks there that can help with support request stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I've just done so. They've got a channel for support tickets, so imma try there.

Retroid Pocket 4 order page is up as well with a bunch of renders
https://www.goretroid.com/collections/frontpage/products/retroid-pocket-4-handheld

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why not place another order of RP4P and cancel the RP4 order when the pro is shipped.

Or get both and sell one you don't like when you get them.

There is no guarantee the PS2 emulation is noticeably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I've just done so. They've got a channel for support tickets, so imma try there.

Retroid Pocket 4 order page is up as well with a bunch of renders
https://www.goretroid.com/collections/frontpage/products/retroid-pocket-4-handheld

This has some updated specs too, like the USB-C port being DP-C and outputting 1080p on the Pro and just being 720p over microHDMI on the regular. That's one of the things I really wanted because we really shouldn't be still having 720p on top end devices at this point. Also confirmation of hall sticks and analog triggers which'll make it way better as a streaming device. Now I know it has that I might actually get one because that's a lot of the issues I have with the 3+ fixed.