Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The character designs don’t sit well with me, something about the eyes. That said I was able to get over and enjoy Big Mouth so I suspect I’ll get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The show is up on Netflix now, anybody have a chance to check it out?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Olan Rogers made another series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdbd2kRSzG8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not … Goodspeed?

Very nice, seems like basically a Final Space reboot without the comedy? Also has a very Tartakovsky kind of feel to the pacing and design.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Not sure what the right thread for this is, but is there somewhere online where I can find all the Gravity Falls ciphertexts, but not the decrypted answers? I am having fun figuring these out, but it's a pain pausing Hulu at the exact right moment and sometimes the pause screen has black bars obscuring the last line of the codes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Probably the Gravity Falls wiki?

Data Graham posted:

Not … Goodspeed?
"Godspeed" is the commonly used phrase. Apparently it means as much as "may God provide you speed/success." Bit of a weird phrase to be honest.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 16, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

The only page I saw had the cleartext solutions as well as the ciphertexts — I was hoping to find a resource with just the ciphertexts, so I can try to figure it out myself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

"Godspeed" is the commonly used phrase. Apparently it means as much as "may God provide you speed/success." Bit of a weird phrase to be honest.

godspeed (god's speed), gadzooks (god's hooks/hands), zounds (god's wounds)

sort of running theme in the 1600's

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wait, have people not heard the word godspeed? :confused: It's not something you'd use commonly but I've known it my whole life.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wait, have people not heard the word godspeed? :confused: It's not something you'd use commonly but I've known it my whole life.

Maybe it's a UK specific thing because I've heard it tonnes too

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Taear posted:

Maybe it's a UK specific thing because I've heard it tonnes too

american here, and no I definitely know the word, it's not some super obscure thing

poo poo there's even that band godspeed you black emperor

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s a very well-known phrase, maybe that goon hadn’t heard it or was making a reference we all missed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's what you say when you release a spider back outside to return to its family after teaching your son not to kill

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1731720075164402074?s=20

Carol and the End of the World premiers tomorrow on Netflix. I've had my eye on this one

I think I enjoy this, but the world is strangely desolate. Nobody seems to be doing work anymore and money is meaningless, but the facilities are all running and the shops are stocked but there are barely any people around. Maybe they all went to visit Tibet, or whatever, but the lack of people feels unnerving. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is 90% of the population comited mass suicide in the early phase. I'm not sure if the show actually confirms this though.

Also the main character is a bit tedious. Honestly, not a fan of that voice. Episode 9 kind of sucks.
Edit: The finale on the other hand rocks.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 16, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oxxidation posted:

godspeed (god's speed), gadzooks (god's hooks/hands), zounds (god's wounds)

sort of running theme in the 1600's

Yes … I know

The main character in Final Space was Gary Goodspeed

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Not … Goodspeed?

Very nice, seems like basically a Final Space reboot without the comedy? Also has a very Tartakovsky kind of feel to the pacing and design.

Clear skies was already taken i guess? I do hope they don't strand the shopkeeper if they continue the series.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
... What's that whooshing sound?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Das Boo posted:

... What's that whooshing sound?

Must be something speedy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Yes … I know

The main character in Final Space was Gary Goodspeed

In fairness to the rest of us, I don't think anyone else in the world remembers Gary's surname.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh it’s fair, for sure.

I am intrigued as to what the deal with that pilot is though and why it seems conceptually so similar to FS. Same Olan voices, including the unseen dad I think? Straitlaced AI and goofball sidekick robot? It’s even got what appears to be a dark-n-gritty version of Avocato. Is he trying to just get a do-over?

e: I was expecting the dad to get revealed and just BE Gary, not to put too fine a point on it. And I'm still trying to think of reasons (aside from, like, IP rights) why he couldn't be. Like is this supposed to be the Lightyear movie to FS's Toy Story or something like that? The "Farmworld Finn" facet of Adventure Time?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 16, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So overall is Carol & The End Of The World worth a watch in your opinion?

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Larryb posted:

I'm 4 episodes in and I absolutely love it. Throughout the first episode my husband's response was to say "This makes me profoundly sad" and then he demanded to keep watching it, and I think that sums it up very well.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

seems like basically a Final Space reboot without the comedy?

So, Final Space then?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Oh it’s fair, for sure.

I am intrigued as to what the deal with that pilot is though and why it seems conceptually so similar to FS. Same Olan voices, including the unseen dad I think? Straitlaced AI and goofball sidekick robot? It’s even got what appears to be a dark-n-gritty version of Avocato. Is he trying to just get a do-over?

e: I was expecting the dad to get revealed and just BE Gary, not to put too fine a point on it. And I'm still trying to think of reasons (aside from, like, IP rights) why he couldn't be. Like is this supposed to be the Lightyear movie to FS's Toy Story or something like that? The "Farmworld Finn" facet of Adventure Time?

Considering the issues he had to deal with just to do a conclusion to Final Space I think the rightsholders probably wouldn't play ball with a more explicit reference.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Do people not know Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

e:fb

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

Considering the issues he had to deal with just to do a conclusion to Final Space I think the rightsholders probably wouldn't play ball with a more explicit reference.

Which, to bring it around, is why I'd love to know what the title means (yes I know what it MEANS means thank you all in advance). If it's an oblique bit of glue to communicate that this is FS Redux with all identifying marks burned off, :tviv:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

It’s pretty darn good yeah but if you’re one of those “why do they keep making all these comedies that aren’t actually funny?????” people steer the gently caress clear. If not, check it out!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Where the hell is Uzumaki??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Where the hell is Uzumaki??

The release date still says late 2023 so I assume any time within the next two weeks

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

sensenmann420 posted:

Finishing up Scavengers Reign

Would you guys rather wake up tomorrow on that planet or live in mad max fury world universe earth?

I honestly think I would kill myself

Mad Max wasteland Earth every time. There are way too many fates worse than death on Vesta.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

super nailgun posted:

Mad Max wasteland Earth every time. There are way too many fates worse than death on Vesta.

Here's my reasoning for choosing Vesta:

In Mad Max Earth you could end up being used as a living bloodbag, chained to a milking machine, not to mention the limitless cruelty of whatever else the human mind can come up with.

Also, on Vesta there's the chance of a good ending, which is managing to survive long enough to meet up with the survivors of the Demeter. Even in Mad Max's best-case scenario where you overthrow the local warlord and survive, you're still on the utterly used-up Earth.

This is an oddly compelling hypothetical.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s pretty darn good yeah but if you’re one of those “why do they keep making all these comedies that aren’t actually funny?????” people steer the gently caress clear. If not, check it out!

Wait is it a comedy? What I read made it sound more like a drama or maybe an introspective piece or something like that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TheThirst posted:

I'm 4 episodes in and I absolutely love it. Throughout the first episode my husband's response was to say "This makes me profoundly sad" and then he demanded to keep watching it, and I think that sums it up very well.

Don't think I could bring myself to watch something like that, realistic end of the world media is just too sad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

Don't think I could bring myself to watch something like that, realistic end of the world media is just too sad

It's not realistic at all. It's sad, but in an absurdist way.

The main character is this sort of absurdist lump who, when offered the potential freedom to do anything she could possibly ever want to do, can only imagine going to work at a white collar office job and succeeding at being a really good office drone who's well liked around the office. She just wants to live the most whitebread, 90s arse worklife imbalance imaginable and she loving sucks at it. It's funny.

There are characters reacting with slightly more realistic depression around the edges of the story, but there are plenty of people who are just running around having a great time. Which is also absurd because there's no understanding of where any food is coming from or why the amenities continue to work, they just do. But it's clearly possible to live a completely care free and safe life of plenty.

Like I said it's not realistic.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The Archer finale's supposed to air today, in case anyone forgot/cares.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

The Archer finale's supposed to air today, in case anyone forgot/cares.

Archer is still going!?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

JosefStalinator posted:

Archer is still going!?

Well, not anymore but it was. This last season has been the best it's shown since season 2 or 3 imo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

JosefStalinator posted:

Archer is still going!?

It has a middle series of season that are all over the place because they are coma dreams.

Like he's a space captain and must talk to a bomb voiced by Matt Berry for most of an episode its amazing.

They also did an amazing goodbye for Jessica Walters.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

She just wants to live the most whitebread, 90s arse worklife imbalance imaginable and she loving sucks at it. It's funny.

By 'loving sucks' do you mean her (un?)intentionally creating some sort of friendly community in a previously detached office space, leading to the 'mass hysteria' in the last episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pachylad posted:

By 'loving sucks' do you mean her (un?)intentionally creating some sort of friendly community in a previously detached office space, leading to the 'mass hysteria' in the last episode?

Nah, I mean that I've watched two episodes and in those two episodes she, unequivocally, loving sucks at the things she wants to do.

(full season spoilers?)

Also uh, if I was selling the show to someone I'd just describe what the character was like based on the information you get at the start of the story and not the end, because that's who the story happens to and therefore is, IMO, who the story is about.