Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest issue with cancer is how it spreads to the rest of the body, if it was slow enough people would survive it basically always, but even if you cut out all the infected cells on the stomach or pancreas or liver or whatever else it's on, it'll show up in the lymph nodes and in a bunch of other organs and just start wreaking havoc on the whole bodily system.

The reason people survive cancer so often is because it gets detected early before it can spread. There are a lot of cancers that are very easy to treat and not life-threatening at all if you catch them early enough, but will be a death sentence if left undetected for a while.

Nevil Maskelyne fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

How the hell do you actually play Pokémon, and is it as ridiculously complicated as it appears. I get the appeal of collecting the cards but now he’s trying to play with me and I’m just utterly bamboozled. It can’t be this convoluted, surely. What the hell is going on.

Earwicker posted:

it depends on the type of cancer and where specifically the tumors are located, but basically the latter, it destroys your organs, often several at the same time after it spreads

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
For some reason, a few months ago, Chrome on my phone started displaying the forums with teeny tiny text for some reason. Zooming in doesn't work, either in the Chrome settings or the phone settings. No matter what, the text stays small. This post is being typed in a huge zoomed in white box that has tiny little letters. What the heck do I do?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For some reason, a few months ago, Chrome on my phone started displaying the forums with teeny tiny text for some reason. Zooming in doesn't work, either in the Chrome settings or the phone settings. No matter what, the text stays small. This post is being typed in a huge zoomed in white box that has tiny little letters. What the heck do I do?

Mobile chrome is generally poo poo about fonts sizes, but the real answer is to use one of the forums apps.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

goddamnit

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 16, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Download the somethingawful dot com app and stop using the browser for the forums.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

How the hell do you actually play Pokémon, and is it as ridiculously complicated as it appears. I get the appeal of collecting the cards but now he’s trying to play with me and I’m just utterly bamboozled. It can’t be this convoluted, surely. What the hell is going on.

I played Pokémon bunch as a kid and tried to get into it again after discovering MTG. At the time at least, the former was essentially a rip-off of the latter, but with worse pacing. It's not overly complicated, but I recommend getting or making a physical play mat to remember the various zones.
Also just play Pokémon on a Nintendo of some kind and play MTG with cards, it's a better experience unless they managed to fix a lot of intent issues in Pokémon.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

two fish posted:

When it comes to mortality from cancer, what is the actual mechanism by which it kills you? Does it just drain nutrients from the rest of your body, or does it grow in a bad spot and impede the function of an organ, or what?

Your question has been answered but also, keep in mind cancer isn't one disease. There's many different types and variations that work differently and kill you in different ways. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but iirc literally every case of cancer is unique (because every person is unique) so even if you compare two cases of the same type and presentation the treatment and outcome could vary vastly because while the cancers might look the same they have different biologies.

Which is part of what makes it so difficult to treat, even aside from the spreading and killing you in the meantime part. You can't just throw medicine at it and it'll go away. Treatment has to be catered to the patient and the doctor will have to figure out what regiment and combination of meds work and what doesn't, while treating them. Sometimes a particular cancer just doesn't respond to the medicine the way it was hoped and/or expected to, and the doctor has to figure out why not and what to try next.

Kinda like how COVID has all these different strains that make it behave differently with some being easier to treat than others, or more infectious, except that every person has their own strain.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We recently got a cat tower. FedEx hosed up and only delivered one of the two boxes. Chewy couldn't re-ship just the missing box, so now we have a box that's just the platforms. No hardware, no uprights. Is there anything I can do with this besides trash it?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
This is a dumb question but please humor me.

I work a lot of hours, I'm always exhausted, yet I'm also always anxious. I have this sort of self inflicted problem. It usually only happens when I have a day off the next day and my brain knows I can be more irresponsible. But I like to fall asleep in my computer chair, nodding off while trying to watch a space video or something is a nice peaceful feeling I don't get a lot of. The problem is, even though I'll set an alarm, I often just ignore it and sleep the whole drat night in my chair. Luckily it doesn't cause me too many issues other than the sleep being lower quality. But how likely am I to get DVT and a clot and die from this? I know for a fact I tend to adjust and straighten my legs out under my desk a lot without thinking about it because it hurts my knee to have a bent leg for a long time. Do I need to actually worry about this? I'm normally very active and walk at least 10-12 miles a day at work most days if that makes any difference. I'd say I'm in my chair sleeping about 6-7 hours most of the time, sometimes I might get up and go sleep walk to the olive jar and go right back to the chair.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Album I'm looking at on discogs is listed as '(LP, Album, Ter)' on all the listings. What is 'ter' in this context?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Killingyouguy! posted:

Album I'm looking at on discogs is listed as '(LP, Album, Ter)' on all the listings. What is 'ter' in this context?

from the discogs forums

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

For some reason, a few months ago, Chrome on my phone started displaying the forums with teeny tiny text for some reason.
I'm doubtful this would help since you say zooming in doesn't help, but my thought is to double-check that the "Desktop site" checkbox in settings isn't checked for the forums.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I work a lot of hours, I'm always exhausted, yet I'm also always anxious. I have this sort of self inflicted problem. It usually only happens when I have a day off the next day and my brain knows I can be more irresponsible. But I like to fall asleep in my computer chair, nodding off while trying to watch a space video or something is a nice peaceful feeling I don't get a lot of. The problem is, even though I'll set an alarm, I often just ignore it and sleep the whole drat night in my chair. Luckily it doesn't cause me too many issues other than the sleep being lower quality. But how likely am I to get DVT and a clot and die from this? I know for a fact I tend to adjust and straighten my legs out under my desk a lot without thinking about it because it hurts my knee to have a bent leg for a long time. Do I need to actually worry about this? I'm normally very active and walk at least 10-12 miles a day at work most days if that makes any difference. I'd say I'm in my chair sleeping about 6-7 hours most of the time, sometimes I might get up and go sleep walk to the olive jar and go right back to the chair.

It kinda sounds like maybe you should work on your sleep hygiene overall but like you're not gonna die from sleeping sitting up, no. You might get shittier sleep quality, which isn't good for your general health.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Maybe ask a doctor, but I'd be more worried that you have some other problem like sleep apnea (which is dangerous) if you're that tired that you keep falling asleep in your chair

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

But how likely am I to get DVT and a clot and die from this? I know for a fact I tend to adjust and straighten my legs out under my desk a lot without thinking about it because it hurts my knee to have a bent leg for a long time. Do I need to actually worry about this?

i dont know about blood clots or the liklihood of death but what i can tell you is that this is very likely to gently caress up your back in ways that you won't realize until its too late. unless you somehow maintain good posture while sleeping in a chair for 6 hours.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Maybe ask a doctor, but I'd be more worried that you have some other problem like sleep apnea (which is dangerous) if you're that tired that you keep falling asleep in your chair

I work 60-70 hours a week for the last 10 years, I'm just tired. I'm not just like randomly falling asleep at weird times, of course I'm gonna drift a bit sometimes around 8 or 9 pm. This doesn't happen too often, I only get every other weekend off, so we are looking at maybe a couple days out of a fortnight. Getting better habits while dealing with all that is a whole other ballpark, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to die from it. I think some girl died during a 14 hour gaming session or something a while back because she didn't get up at all. Although I think the main risk is your legs staying bent and not getting movement if I'm not mistaken.

e: I do agree I should try to not do it, because of my work schedule getting good recovery and sleep on the days I do have off is really important. It just feels so good to nod out! I'm one of those people who once they get up to piss and get ready to lay down, I don't feel sleepy anymore. I can still generally get to bed reasonably fast with my little reading set up I have though, but when you are always working and stressed, that nodding out in the chair feeling is really therapeutic, it's like a natural opiate or something. Maybe I can set my alarm and just put the phone across the room so I have to get up to go turn it off.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 16, 2023

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I work 60-70 hours a week for the last 10 years, I'm just tired. I'm not just like randomly falling asleep at weird times, of course I'm gonna drift a bit sometimes around 8 or 9 pm. This doesn't happen too often, I only get every other weekend off, so we are looking at maybe a couple days out of a fortnight. Getting better habits while dealing with all that is a whole other ballpark, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to die from it. I think some girl died during a 14 hour gaming session or something a while back because she didn't get up at all. Although I think the main risk is your legs staying bent and not getting movement if I'm not mistaken.

You're fine as far as DVT goes yeah, you've just developed a bad sleeping habit. If your bed is the only place you sleep you'll be more reliable in going to sleep in your bed, habituation is a huge factor in sleep management.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Inceltown posted:

Download the somethingawful dot com app and stop using the browser for the forums.

Whoa that is a lot better thanks.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

hooah posted:

We recently got a cat tower. FedEx hosed up and only delivered one of the two boxes. Chewy couldn't re-ship just the missing box, so now we have a box that's just the platforms. No hardware, no uprights. Is there anything I can do with this besides trash it?

I buy replacement upright posts for my tower all the time because one of our cats is a big boy who loves to destroy. You might be able to buy a few replacement posts and use them to connect the platforms, though this wouldn't help with not having a base.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: I do agree I should try to not do it, because of my work schedule getting good recovery and sleep on the days I do have off is really important. It just feels so good to nod out! I'm one of those people who once they get up to piss and get ready to lay down, I don't feel sleepy anymore. I can still generally get to bed reasonably fast with my little reading set up I have though, but when you are always working and stressed, that nodding out in the chair feeling is really therapeutic, it's like a natural opiate or something. Maybe I can set my alarm and just put the phone across the room so I have to get up to go turn it off.

Can you just get a tablet or laptop beside your bed and fall asleep while trying to absorb the dark secrets of space by osmosis.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I would recommend removing the book from your bed and suffering through some hard-to-get-to-sleep nights when you have the luxury to try. my useless anecdote is that I had awful sleep hygiene until I stopped using the bed for anything but sex and sleep.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
small question.

tweets no longer show up.
it just shows the caption with a picture link.

I've cleared site cookies, disabled pretty sure any blockers, no vpn connection.

there was a fix before, but I can't remember? Or maybe I'm just missing an extension.

This is on Chrome, on a PC. Chrome just updated itself like 2 days ago, so I dunno

help

e- same with Edge.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 16, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm also not saying tweets on the Android app. My guess is that someone hosed up twitter again.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

blight rhino posted:

small question.

tweets no longer show up.
it just shows the caption with a picture link.

I've cleared site cookies, disabled pretty sure any blockers, no vpn connection.

there was a fix before, but I can't remember? Or maybe I'm just missing an extension.

This is on Chrome, on a PC. Chrome just updated itself like 2 days ago, so I dunno

help

Same issue here. I assure you the problem is not on your end, it's on the company's end. VERY HIGH UP on their end.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

El Jeffe posted:

Same issue here. I assure you the problem is not on your end, it's on the company's end. VERY HIGH UP on their end.

well, fuckin' boo.

good to know it's not me at least.

Hopefully they'll fix their poo poo

thanks, guys.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dirby posted:

I'm doubtful this would help since you say zooming in doesn't help, but my thought is to double-check that the "Desktop site" checkbox in settings isn't checked for the forums.

It wasn't that but thank you for an answer other than 'download the app'. Although I understand I should download the app. It seems to just be some more inscrutable Google fuckery. Just like you guys, embedded tweets aren't working now for some reason, on the forums and other websites. More of the same.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall hearing that this was some kind of font issue, and you have to resolve it via browser preferences or something? :shrug:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought some cheapo coffee grounds and I plan on making a few cups tomorrow (I usually just drink instant). Can anyone tell me if there's any benefit to using a french press over just boiling it on the stove? Better yet, can I use my teapot (it has a metal basket strainer that sits in the middle for tea leaves) for the coffee grounds instead and just drink from the pot, or would this cause some issue?

I figured the only issue I can potentially run into is very bitter coffee if I leave the grounds sitting in the water too long. So to combat that, I plan on letting the coffee grounds steep (is that the right word) in the teapot for 5 minutes, before removing the metal strainer basket. Will this give me an okay cup of coffee? I'm not looking for - or expecting - anything mind blowing. I had a phase when I was younger where I chased that coffee nirvana but I'm no longer bothered.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Boiling it on the stove is going to leave you with grounds in your coffee and that graininess isn't going to be appealing. Similarly the tea strainer is unlikely to be fine enough to filter our the coffee grounds. Do you have a french press? If so just use that. If not I'd probably go the route of boiling it in a pot that I can swing around and force the grounds to settle and pour off the top.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Find a way to boil the water and pour that over the coffee rather than boiling the coffee if you don’t wanna do the press imho.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you just buy some paper coffee filters in the store you can probably line the tea strainer with one of those

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you don't want french press coffee, just get a cheap pourover cone that sits on a mug and makes one cup of coffee and use a paper filter in it. That will get you most of the way to good coffee with a minimum of fuss and as long as you use a paper filter in it any pourover cone will be fine so you can just buy the cheapest one off of amazon (or from your supermarket).

That said you probably could just stuff a filter into the basket of your teapot if you really need to

Also if you ever need hot water for any beverages do yourself a favor and get an electric kettle if you don't have one already.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 16, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inceltown posted:

Boiling it on the stove is going to leave you with grounds in your coffee and that graininess isn't going to be appealing. Similarly the tea strainer is unlikely to be fine enough to filter our the coffee grounds.
I make coffee in a briki on the stove and pour it through a tea strainer. It works fine.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pre-ground makes for poor French press coffee as, unless it specifies coarsely ground or for press, it'll be drip coffee grind -- a much finer grind. If you do use drip grounds for a press, steep for about 3.5 minutes instead of 5 and expect some graininess, depending on how fine your mesh is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As an aside, coffee needs water that has recently been boiled, so 90-98 degrees roughly, not boiling.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah lol it immediately just diffused through the basket so the mesh was too large and the ground coffee too fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Your options for easy half decent coffee are:

French press
Paper coffee filter
Aeropress (basically a combination of the above two.) This is your best option imo. Makes exactly one cup of coffee, is the fastest of the three options, and it's really easy to clean. E: It's also pretty forgiving on the grind, just don't use really rough ground beans

You'll want an electric kettle for all of the above.

Alternatively, you're already halfway there to making Turkish coffee :v:
Follow the instructions, it's got to be really finely ground coffee beans so you don't get grit in your teeth, and reaching boiling point makes it quite bitter.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 17, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonHair posted:

As an aside, coffee needs water that has recently been boiled, so 90-98 degrees roughly, not boiling.
Lots of people like James Hoffman disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Lots of people like James Hoffman disagree.

i think BonHair is speaking in terms of degrees Celcius. Hoffmann says to pour water just off the boil and I perceive the overall point being made in this conversation is not to boil the grounds themselves. (If that's not BonHair's point, it is mine)

Edit: I'd expect to lose 2 degrees C simply between performing the boil and pouring.