Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Anti James Bond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Peccadillo posted:

Reacher makes a weird point of never loving, he's also a gentleman or some poo poo

I specifically remember the opposite of this happening last season.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh did he end up banging that hot cop? I only remember him being aĺl '"I'lll sleep on the floor it reminds me of army"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh did he end up banging that hot cop? I only remember him being aĺl '"I'lll sleep on the floor it reminds me of army"

100% banged the hot cop in the shower. He slept on the floor afterwards. They were in some hotel on the lam from people chasing them.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Hell yeah Reacher

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just half expect Reacher (at some point during this season) to rip a guy's throat out like MacGruber.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

Reacher makes a weird point of never loving, he's also a gentleman or some poo poo

Doesn't he gently caress the cop lady in the first one? I'm almost positive he does in the book it's based on. And Tom Cruise fucks Cobie Smulders and possibly has a child with another woman in the sequel to the movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gonz posted:

I just half expect Reacher (at some point during this season) to rip a guy's throat out like MacGruber.

In one of the books he punches a guy in between heart beats, causing the guy's heart to stop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

In one of the books he punches a guy in between heart beats, causing the guy's heart to stop.

Sounds to me like he reached out and touched the guy.

*puts on sunglasses*

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
In one of the Reacher books, the bad guys are religious fundamentalists who are planning to detonate a dirty bomb in a major city in order to trigger the apocalypse.

Reacher figures it out and calls the number that sets off the bomb while it's still in the bad guys remote compound, killing them all. And by calls the number, I mean he tells the lady cop he's banging to call it and then is pleased when he hears a distant explosion, while she's pissed because she just unknowingly killed a bunch of people.

And he got involved in the situation because the baddies tried to move him on from their town First Blood style and he just starts loving with them out of spite.

The Jack Reacher books have mad middle aged Dad energy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He fucks in every book

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goddamn it, this whole time I thought jack reacher and jack Ryan were the same guy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Goddamn it, this whole time I thought jack reacher and jack Ryan were the same guy
Lol. Jack Ryan wishes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Jack Ryan=CIA analyst; eventually CIA Director, Vice President, and President
Jack Reacher=Nomad, ala Caine from Kung Fu; former Major in the Army Military Police Corps

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Movie reviewers should be tested every year like old people driving.

‘Rebel Moon — Part One: A Child of Fire’ Review: ‘Seven Samurai’ Meets ‘Star Wars’ in Zack Snyder’s Dreadful Netflix Epic'

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*Homer looking at his palm*

Ryan = regular size
Reacher = huge

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Jack Reacher isn’t politically anything. He’s just Jack reacher and he punches people real good

It's the only show with humans that airs on the Gorilla Channel

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqWng8a2yGE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

garycoleisgod posted:

In one of the Reacher books, the bad guys are religious fundamentalists who are planning to detonate a dirty bomb in a major city in order to trigger the apocalypse.

Reacher figures it out and calls the number that sets off the bomb while it's still in the bad guys remote compound, killing them all. And by calls the number, I mean he tells the lady cop he's banging to call it and then is pleased when he hears a distant explosion, while she's pissed because she just unknowingly killed a bunch of people.

And he got involved in the situation because the baddies tried to move him on from their town First Blood style and he just starts loving with them out of spite.

The Jack Reacher books have mad middle aged Dad energy.

that owns

except for the radiation i guess

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Martman posted:

Reacher reminds me the golden age of internet forums. Where you'd read epic screeds about tactics or analyzing martial arts and I mean, this dude must know what he's talking about right? Otherwise how could he go on for pages and pages.

Reacher's like a goony dude who just happens to also be essentially a superhero, so even if a lot of what he says is kinda bullshit everything just works out and it's hilarious.

I love how every other book gives him a new memory or math fixation that plays a huge role in leading him to guys to headbutt and punch and is then never mentioned again

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Though I think the clock in his brain sticks around for a few novels

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

checkplease posted:

The Jack reacher movie is funny in that the detective asks a hotel clerk who is staying there that “looks like they could kill someone with one punch” but then you realize they mean Tom Cruise.

I one hundred percent believe Tom Cruise can kill a grown man in one punch in actual real life

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

McCloud posted:

I one hundred percent believe Tom Cruise can kill a grown man in one punch in actual real life

It's true, when you reach OT-8+, you receive a Vimeo link where L.Ron Hubbard himself teaches you this One Punch technique

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Jack Reacher books are about the epitome of modern ish Dad Novels, I think those kind of books basically take the place of endless detective novels for that generation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

that owns

except for the radiation i guess

The ironic thing about dirty bombs is that the "bomb" part aerosolizes and spreads the "dirty" part over such a wide area that it basically negates the threat of the radiation.

I remember back when dirty bombs were first getting big after 9/11 there was some report about how a dirty bomb would increase the likelihood of cancer in the effected area by some scary number, but if you looked at the methodology they used they were assuming that everyone within that area wouldn't shower or change their clothes for a year after the explosion. If everybody showers and changes their clothes at some point in the week after the explosion, the increased risk becomes almost immeasurably small.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

...I Always assumed breathing alpha-emitting stuff was the problem.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look if I didn't want to watch conservative power fantasy I'd never watch any action films.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reacher man would be a great Conan, but I don't know who could direct it that has the right values to make the film great the way Milius did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jack Reacher might well be a modern day Conan the Barbarian...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He doesn't have the will to power.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Reacher man would be a great Conan, but I don't know who could direct it that has the right values to make the film great the way Milius did

Now is not the time for New Conan. Now is the time to get Arnold back for King Conan.

Oliver Stone hasn't been great in a while. But he did co-write the original film. And when he was on as a director... So let him have his shot at redemption if he wants it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Now is not the time for New Conan. Now is the time to get Arnold back for King Conan.

Oliver Stone hasn't been great in a while. But he did co-write the original film. And when he was on as a director... So let him have his shot at redemption if he wants it.

Woke snowflakes trying to usurp King Conan just because he wants to make Aquilonia great again

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Peccadillo posted:

You're thinking of Kiryu Kazuma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Woke snowflakes trying to usurp King Conan just because he wants to make Aquilonia great again

Conan getting usurped by some comically dastardly villains and quietly enjoying the excuse for a vacation is the plot of like at least half a dozen later books iirc.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Conan running out of Jafars to employ, then.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Does Stone go in for centrist and right wing culture warrior stuff? I thought his reactionary bent comes out in screwy ideas about leadership and strongmen and the arc of history.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Does Stone go in for centrist and right wing culture warrior stuff? I thought his reactionary bent comes out in screwy ideas about leadership and strongmen.

I must admit that I'm not up to speed on his current beliefs but vaguely remember that he got way, way worse a few years ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Peccadillo posted:

That sounds like Parker from the Richard Stark books who has a strict rule of no loving, and no sex drive if he didn't have the rule, while he's organizing or performing a heist.

This despite every hot woman in any early Parker book throwing herself at him.

Of course he become a raging gently caress machine once a job is done and spends his time either laying by the pool or boning until he runs out of money and needs to do another heist.

That is until he settles down in like book 8 or 9.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bob the Gambler vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
re: The Family Plan

Is there any actually good movie where the main character turns out to be a former secret agent/assassin/mafioso (either this being revealed just to other characters or to the audience as well)?

A History of Violence is this? I only saw it once when it came out and liked it but forget if it's that.

re: Booksmart

Watched this again. Is Molly supposed to be likeable? She's driven and tries to be a decent friend. That's pretty much it in the positive column. But she's arrogant and at the same time insecure and that doesn't change all that much by the end.

The brown haired girl from Bad Teacher is much more likeable. Yet you can't root for her because she's not on any kind of hero's journey. She starts off affable, conscientious, without regrets, open about her orientation, and doesn't look down on the cool kids. In two words, well adjusted. She's just a little too shy around girls. But she's also 18. Why should the audience care if she finds herself a gf now, versus in a year or two years or three years?