Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I think that colonies should get way more uppity if their overlord is losing a war in Europe. That’s what ultimately led to Spain losing her colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Subjects should be a lot more rebellious in general imo. Too much reward for too little risk right now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tying overlord war exhaustion to subject liberty desire seems like it would be a good start, and easy to implement

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Subjects already scale their loyalty based on relative military strength, which the war would have a big negative impact on with the suzerain's armies getting destroyed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

Subjects already scale their loyalty based on relative military strength, which the war would have a big negative impact on with the suzerain's armies getting destroyed.

That doesn't seem to be enough, given how often you can full occupy their lands and kill every army you can find, without their subjects rebelling

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One suggestion I've heard which I kind of like is to make Sweden's events less unique. If a subject is disloyal and not bound by a truce, have a 5 year mtth event asking their overlords rivals to support independence. And also make subjects actually declare independence instead of just sitting on their rear end at 100% liberty desire forever.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Lostconfused posted:

You know, until their overlord builds more troops in their colony lands.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Also double posting because tying liberty desire to war exhaustion doesn't work because the ai LOVES to buy down their war exhaustion when they get above 5 and usually by the time you exhaust their bird mana you have a hefty call to peace exhaustion modifier

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Detheros posted:

by the time you exhaust their bird mana you have a hefty call to peace exhaustion modifier

isn't the issue that you can't get enough war score by occupying their core lands while they have colonies? if you don't have 66+ war score you're not getting call to peace and if you do you can still take quite a lot of land. maybe it's not enough by itself but i only said it would be a start, not a magic bullet.

cheetah7071 posted:

also make subjects actually declare independence instead of just sitting on their rear end at 100% liberty desire forever.

this would help a lot too lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The way american colonies work in general feels kinda wack, and probably won't change until EU5 so I'm resigned to it.

They get big way too fast and the primary benefit from them seems to be swarming european wars with bodies, and the ones that should be immensely profitable just... aren't. Like where's the incentive for France, post-Seven Years War?

Irl it was an option between keeping a vast swathe of the north american continent inhabited by loyal french subjects, or keeping some dots in the caribbean inhabited by people who wanted to slice every french throat they came across at the first opportunity (for good reason), and the response from the motherland was a resounding "lol au revoir guys the sugar must flow"

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Detheros posted:

Also double posting because tying liberty desire to war exhaustion doesn't work because the ai LOVES to buy down their war exhaustion when they get above 5 and usually by the time you exhaust their bird mana you have a hefty call to peace exhaustion modifier

I wonder if it could be done like the changes to slacken recruitment standards. Much like how slacken recruitment went from being a direct payment of army prof. for direct increase in manpower, to yearly decrease for a montly boost to manpower, could make war exhaustion require a montly diplo tax for a montly decrease in war exhaustion. That way the immediate effect penalties don't go away, you need to be a bit more careful and plan ahead if you don't want to deal with it, and if you are losing badly all it will do is slow down the monthly increase as opposed to bringing the total down to a point you don't have to worry about for a few months again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Been playing the most recent anbennar patch, as the winter frost queen-lich in the Seasons Court zone. Pretty fun!

Although… I don’t suppose anyone knows if the nationwide +0.35/month devastation effect can be removed? I skimmed through the mission tree rewards and didn’t see any mention of it, so now I’m wondering, is it time to spam forts everywhere?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You eventually get hearth cities where it gets removed. The idea is that you concentrated development into a few huge provinces like dwarven holds do.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Detheros posted:

I wasn’t thinking war exhaustion, I was thinking something like negative warscore due to stated territory occupation. Just “homeland’s hosed, take our shot.”

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jay Rust posted:

Been playing the most recent anbennar patch, as the winter frost queen-lich in the Seasons Court zone. Pretty fun!

Although… I don’t suppose anyone knows if the nationwide +0.35/month devastation effect can be removed? I skimmed through the mission tree rewards and didn’t see any mention of it, so now I’m wondering, is it time to spam forts everywhere?

It is time to spam forts everywhere.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Been playing in South America as Cusco to Inca trying to get the Sun God achievement but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to embracing all institutions because it's just so empty here. It's not even the lack of missions that bugs me, just the lack of completion of the area.

After consolidating the Incan land, I basically just waited around for like 40 years for Europe to show up. Nobody to interact with except for Muisca. I ended up taking exploration to explore the new world and get the map but for some reason natives can't "Hunt for the Seven Cities" aka auto explore, so I switched to expansion.

Once the Europeans showed up and spent all that time colonizing, they proceeded to not care about their colonies at all and I was able to steamroll them with no European intervention. I was able to get tech parity really fast too and had renaissance embraced before I even knew what Europe was.

I guess I could try to do a sunset invasion but I'm not getting more intel on the map like I do in Europe as time goes by so basically all I know is that some countries have capitals on another continent.

Are there any good mods for South America? The area seems like it could be really interesting if some more effort was put into it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
So if you go with Catholic Japan you can make a general into your ruler. Somebody on Reddit found out that you can rename your general to match the name of another Christian country and they'll be treated as having the same dynasty, so you can claim their throne and start stacking up the personal unions.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hanzo hapsburg, of the kyoto hapsburgs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That is, very funny

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hasn't naming the dynasty of a custom nation the same as an existing one already done that for years?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Getting an arbitrarily-named monarch to be in the relevant dynasty is RAW/WAD to the point where it not working with spaces is probably the "bug" here, getting an arbitrary name on a monarch without disabling cheevos or cluing in your MP mates that something's up is the edge case, no?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So if you go with Catholic Japan you can make a general into your ruler. Somebody on Reddit found out that you can rename your general to match the name of another Christian country and they'll be treated as having the same dynasty, so you can claim their throne and start stacking up the personal unions.

NEIOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How do I speedrun Revoke the Privilegia, for the Zoro-Austrians achievement?

I've had enough of Ottoman beating me up as I try to build Persia, shenanigans are required.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

How do I speedrun Revoke the Privilegia, for the Zoro-Austrians achievement?

I've had enough of Ottoman beating me up as I try to build Persia, shenanigans are required.

You probably know a lot of this already but:

when you PU bohemia, take Prague and stack every missionary strength modifier you can to overcome the -5% there. Accept Czech culture, stab up to +3, put it in a state and give it the missionary state edict, hire a missionary adviser, and give out the clergy privilege that boosts missionary strength. The monument gives IA if the province is the same religion as the owner. I believe true speedruns will go wildly into debt to get it up to level 3, even. Ulm also has a monument that boosts imperial authority, but by a lot less.

Rein in Italy, obviously

Balkanize France (declare on them and force them to release subjects which border the HRE in the peace deal), then when the truce is up declare on the little guys to force them into the HRE. Sometimes they'll even join on their own. You can balkanize the actual balkans too, but it's sometimes tricky--the CB to force them into the empire needs a *land* border with a province already in the HRE, and Hungary is too big to join. Going around Hungary through Moldavia is sometimes viable, but that requires fighting the Ottomans, which you're having trouble with. Make sure not to add any orthodox countries; the penalty for religion outweighs the benefit from lots of countries. Either force religion in the peace deal, or annex them, release them, and then force religion as a subject interaction.

I've heard that if you ally Burgundy and give away their capital in a war, they'll move it into the HRE and you'll lose the malus for the lowlands being owned by a non-HRE country. Idk if it's actually worth it though. The malus will go away of course when the burgundian succession happens 90% of the time, though that might take a while.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2023

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

hanzo hapsburg, of the kyoto hapsburgs

Europa Universalis 4: hanzo hapsburg, of the kyoto hapsburgs

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Did 2 cheevo runs recently.

First off Cringe Byzantium. Nothing to note besides Byz's mission tree is pretty fun, a lot of focus on making Constantinople a megacity, 75 dev.

Paradox pls start EUV at 1453, thanks.

2nd off Dawasir -> Arabia

A lot more fun once I got going, had several hellwars vs the Ottomans where they regularly doubled my forces (with like 600k troops lmao), good thing I could run +75% full cav stacks and destroy them.

1773 because lmao devving deserts even with a million -dev cost modifiers takes forever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detheros posted:

Did 2 cheevo runs recently.

First off Cringe Byzantium. Nothing to note besides Byz's mission tree is pretty fun, a lot of focus on making Constantinople a megacity, 75 dev.

Paradox pls start EUV at 1453, thanks.

2nd off Dawasir -> Arabia

A lot more fun once I got going, had several hellwars vs the Ottomans where they regularly doubled my forces (with like 600k troops lmao), good thing I could run +75% full cav stacks and destroy them.

1773 because lmao devving deserts even with a million -dev cost modifiers takes forever.

those look like fun runs. I've started a few Byz runs but gotten distracted. Maybe I'll waste two days over xmas break just playing EUIV. I still haven't finished a WC, either. I got sick of fighting mega Spain in that Qing run I had some months ago.

I think something like 1353 would be a fun start date, with Europe and the Mediterranian really depopulated and needing (re-)development, Yuan China all hosed up and collapsing, the ERE (not "Byzantium" also) as a workable but not terribly powerful polity in the Balkans and Aegean, Muslim Iberia, a more unified Japan, the Timurids on the rise...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CommonShore posted:

I think something like 1353 would be a fun start date, with Europe and the Mediterranian really depopulated and needing (re-)development, Yuan China all hosed up and collapsing, the ERE (not "Byzantium" also) as a workable but not terribly powerful polity in the Balkans and Aegean, Muslim Iberia, a more unified Japan, the Timurids on the rise...

Ah, a MEIOU and Taxes fan

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 16, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still want a paradox game focused on ancient china. Chinese modders have added that to Imperator Rome but it’s in chinese only.

Also Sengoku 2 while I’m dreaming.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
If I am Bavaria, and have a port in Venice, do I need 'exploration range' or what stat exactly to be able to core a province at the Horn of Africa ?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the range to core a province is the same as colonial range, but if you're going for the Stern des Südens achievement you're going to need to snake instead, because you can only give vassals adjacent provinces (either via land or a single sea tile)

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 17, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, how do I no-cb Byzantium considering Ottoman will not let me have military access and I have a tiny fleet at game start.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, how do I no-cb Byzantium considering Ottoman will not let me have military access and I have a tiny fleet at game start.

Who are you playing as?
Usually Byz or their allies will eventually get military access through the Ottomans after you no-CB them which solves the problem.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

aqu posted:

Who are you playing as?
Usually Byz or their allies will eventually get military access through the Ottomans after you no-CB them which solves the problem.

Austria, for the Zoro-Austrian cheevo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like you'll be better just playing through you mission tree and beating the ottomans in a fair fight with poland, lithuania, hungary, and bohemia, than trying to kneecap them with a no-CB on byz

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like you'll be better just playing through you mission tree and beating the ottomans in a fair fight with poland, lithuania, hungary, and bohemia, than trying to kneecap them with a no-CB on byz

I don’t agree. The way Ottoman missions are structured completely screws them if they never take Constantinople and will make the players life so much easier since they have to snake through Ottoman land to get to Persia anyway.

My advice for vassalizing Byz is to no-CB even without military access and waiting for them to get access from the Ottomans for you. You could also try restarting until they aren’t rivaled with you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

no-cbing byz as austria is definitely the play, it doesn't take very long and gets you a permanently worthwhile vassal. last time i played if you improved relations a bit with the ottomans they would just give you access because they don't hate austria yet in 1444. might have to declare war first so that the ottomans realize you want it to go beat up their enemy, which they aren't smart enough to understand is a bad thing for them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

aqu posted:

I don’t agree. The way Ottoman missions are structured completely screws them if they never take Constantinople and will make the players life so much easier since they have to snake through Ottoman land to get to Persia anyway.

yeah I'm familiar with the idea, but like, the Ottomans aren't actually that bad around the 1480s or so. With a mission tree like Austria's, you can easily outscale AI ottomans and can hit them before 1500, before they get so big they're annoying to get warscore against.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We'll see if I can manage to win a war against Ottoman without the ally/subject AI causing us to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When doing a no-cb like that, do you bother waiting for the adm to make up the stab loss