Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mustached Demon posted:

Battery daddy owns and is a great dadly gift to go with all the toys needing batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Same, I'll clockwork orange my son with the Johto seasons if I have to.

At 5 my daughter loved the Alola season. and as of this morning at 7 yr old she rewatched the finale again of the series before school

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

apparently 8 months old is old enough to start losing his mind at the sitter when it's not mom, dad, or grandma

poor lady is in for a rough one

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Same, I'll clockwork orange my son with the Johto seasons if I have to.

I let my kids play Pokemon Fire Red on an emulator, one of my few efforts to let them experience pop culture since we're not a big TV/video game family.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The older games are slower, so I think i'm going to get one of those not-SNES/GBA things eventually

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The older games are slower, so I think i'm going to get one of those not-SNES/GBA things eventually

I was thinking I'd build a raspberry pi emulator with them sometime to Make Mandatory Learning Fun.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

loquacius posted:

my daughter is impressively stubborn to the point of unbribeability (see also: efforts at potty-training), and if given this choice she will cheerfully choose nothing

she will later complain that she is hungry and then continue not eating whatever her dinner was when told it is her only option, and so on until bedtime

This is familiar. How do such small people get this steely resolve?

The worst days are when my younger kid decides they don't want to go to school and no amount of bribing or cajoling will stop them from taking off their clothes and going back to bed. It's like I'm in a battle of will with Dr Doom and haven't even had breakfast.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1735763445654356150?t=JeTuOS02Dcyg1yqBIg3E_A&s=19

I look at this chart and it makes sense because teens know life sucks and they know that it isn't their parent's fault because life sucks for them too.

The goblins on my phone look at this chart and it makes sense because smartphones. It's all because of those dirty rottin parents giving their dirty rottin Iphones.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
imagine being a child when Obama took his first term into the First 100 days with a thousand promises that never loving happened.

then you're a teen and he gets a second term and still nothing.

I'd be down on the future too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The goblins on my phone look at this chart and it makes sense because smartphones. It's all because of those dirty rottin parents giving their dirty rottin Iphones.

Social media is an affliction on mankind

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KirbyKhan posted:

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1735763445654356150?t=JeTuOS02Dcyg1yqBIg3E_A&s=19

I look at this chart and it makes sense because teens know life sucks and they know that it isn't their parent's fault because life sucks for them too.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

e/n but one of my kids is performing for the first time today on a real stage in a bar in front of real people. She plays the fiddle... I'm a very proud parent :3:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

e/n but one of my kids is performing for the first time today on a real stage in a bar in front of real people. She plays the fiddle... I'm a very proud parent :3:

You twisted dickensian monster, forcing your own flesh and blood to play for the amusement of others!

Not but seriously that's awesome and you should be proud.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

KirbyKhan posted:

better cozy up with the 'rents, you don't want to want to go out there

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh no it dropped from 5.1 to 4.9 we're doomed

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My kid loving loves beans

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chad Sexington posted:

My kid loving loves beans

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

brugroffil posted:

My wife took our daughter to a classmate's birthday party over the weekend. Didn't know any of the other parents there yet, and don't think they really knew each other. Within 30 minutes it had devolved into ranting about there not being enough Christ in Christmas/their school singing the "wrong" Christmas songs, and then ranting about gender identity and their only being two true genders. What sort of psycho just starts ranting about this stuff in a group of strangers???

People love doing this poo poo. One time when I took my kids to the public library a parent/stranger of two kids of same or similar ages came up to me with a book with two dads/moms on the cover, and asked me what I thought of it. When I told the parent something like "I don't care, not going to check that out, mainly here for the Mo Willems books, but someone with two moms/dads might want to," conversation ended. The parent got their kids, and brought the book with them to checkout and complained about it. It is a lot of fun just telling someone you don't care, because it is both a statement and belittling

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just remember, don't tell them no.
Tell them, "yes, and.... Why do I care?"

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Workers at daycare yesterday were wearing masks when I dropped off. Curious.

Last night we get a text from daycare saying one of the kids has RSV.

Today kid wakes up with a raspy cough. Hurraaaaaay. Kind of annoyed because they clearly knew yesterday but probably she was infected days ago.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

Oh no it dropped from 5.1 to 4.9 we're doomed

Yea the y-axis on this chart is hosed.

I guess parents of teens right now can say they're the best parents in the last 50 years. Suck on that Boomers.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

School drop-off shouldn't involve so much shouting and score-settling. Why can't we just trudge to school and our jobs in sullen quiet. Very much looking forward to the school break, the kids can sleep in as much as they want.

SirPablo posted:

I guess parents of teens right now can say they're the best parents in the last 50 years. Suck on that Boomers.
Going to use this ty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
we kinda panicked because our younger kid didn't really have much for Christmas this year (he never asks for anything) but I found a 25 key keyboard that can do basic arpeggios and drum sequences and it has a built in speaker and runs on AA batteries.

I just spent an hour playing with it. :3:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
welcome to hell

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

going to be flying for the first time (not for me i mean) with my kids tomorrow... 3.5 year old and a 1 year old. god have mercy on me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

we kinda panicked because our younger kid didn't really have much for Christmas this year (he never asks for anything) but I found a 25 key keyboard that can do basic arpeggios and drum sequences and it has a built in speaker and runs on AA batteries.

I just spent an hour playing with it. :3:

Out of curiosity, what make/model?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

AKAI MPK Mini Play MK3.

its definitely built more like a toy than a pro piece of gear but its perfect for a six year old.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just had a look on YouTube - that's a nice piece of gear! Lucky 6yo!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today's reading is Hello, BABY ANIMALS a high contrast book by Julissa Mora.
One of the pages is "what's up chick" with a small bird being followed by a bee. drat woke perverts!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

going to be flying for the first time (not for me i mean) with my kids tomorrow... 3.5 year old and a 1 year old. god have mercy on me.

At those ages flying is easy, you'll be fine.

e: I'm dumb and just realized that this is an older post. Hope it went well!

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Dec 22, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

my kid loves airports it’s like a sensory playground to her.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Greg Legg posted:

At those ages flying is easy, you'll be fine.

e: I'm dumb and just realized that this is an older post. Hope it went well!

it did!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is obsessed with vacuum cleaners so his grandparents are putting him to work vacuuming up all the leaves in the garage with a shop vac

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
That sounds like a perfect visit.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
"New" dad. My WIFE and I haven't ever really been photo people, but I'm trying very hard to take regular photos of my 7 month old girl. I've tinkered with Google photos, then used it to collage and max out the print area on the premium hardcover chatbooks. I think those are a decent deal. Shutterfly books of our JCPenney (lol) photos have been trash, though I like the staged photos. Chatbooks keeps me mostly regular on getting prints, but when I collage the photos, the dates get all wonky and tge month by month functionality doesnt work as it should. Collaging is also a PITA, not hard, but hard to carve out the time.

Anyone got a tried and true photo system they could walk me through? Feels like a battle to get good bang for the buck regularly.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it used to be Costco Photo to slam out a shitload of cheap prints. I haven't found a good cheap alternative, honestly

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

persnickety prints will print in phone resolutions without cropping. they have other services that lean totally towards scrapbooking

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Any ideas for toddlers standing in their crib instead of sleeping? Or standing and then falling asleep standing, then falling and crying and standing again, more specifically?

She's got RSV and teeth coming in so like... fair enough, child. But still!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chad Sexington posted:

Any ideas for toddlers standing in their crib instead of sleeping? Or standing and then falling asleep standing, then falling and crying and standing again, more specifically?

She's got RSV and teeth coming in so like... fair enough, child. But still!

just make sure she can't climb out and safe sleep stuff is best you can

as soon as she adventures out, just take off the side and make it a toddler bed. Safer than a fall.

They're toddlers and everything in their head says EXPLORE! LICK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

At the ER with my 6 yo in severe abdominal pain. Great start to winter break!!!!!!