Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I've used a pneumatic finish nailer for years and never minded it until recently when I bought a battery powered framing nailer to put up a fence with. It was fantastic, and I now haunt every tool sale I see waiting for a good deal on a battery powered finish nailer. (I can't quite justify buying at retail since, you know, I already have a functioning finish nailer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The beauty of an electric nailer is that you don't need to get out the compressor to drive a nail. If you just want to drive a few nails at a time, maybe that's a benefit. If you're planning on doing a big project with lots of nailing, less of a big deal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Another thing to consider (cuz I just watched a video and that thing is way bigger than I thought) is that holding a big battery + tool up above your head is probably gonna be much more tiring than just holding up a pneumatic nailer. The electric nailers are also a bit slower between shots, but that probably doesn't matter unless you are framing or nailing up a bunch of sheathing or shingles or something.

Your use case of 'occasionally need to nail some stuff without much messing around' is sort of the ideal for a cordless nailer but also the one that probably least justifies the high cost, so I guess the question is just how much is convenience worth to you?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slugworth posted:

I've used a pneumatic finish nailer for years and never minded it until recently when I bought a battery powered framing nailer to put up a fence with. It was fantastic, and I now haunt every tool sale I see waiting for a good deal on a battery powered finish nailer. (I can't quite justify buying at retail since, you know, I already have a functioning finish nailer).

The Ryobi is at $140 + $15 shipping on DTO right now but that's not a great sale really:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P326

darn tools price history:
https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P326

Sale price isn't necessarily bad though either. They're holding it at that price though which pisses me off, since there was just a 40% sale and it was excluded at "Final Price", yet earlier this year it was as low as $110.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had a bad experience with the Ryobi airstrike finish nailer. It wasn't consistently firing brads (like 1 in 3, and I did every troubleshooting I could) and was a gigantic pain in the end. I just returned the thing.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Is that the one TOT praised?

I believe so, it's been pretty great in the year I've had it...

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I had a bad experience with the Ryobi airstrike finish nailer. It wasn't consistently firing brads (like 1 in 3, and I did every troubleshooting I could) and was a gigantic pain in the end. I just returned the thing.
Yeah I certainly can't speak to if their finish nailer is bad or not. I have their staplers (both the smaller 3/8" crown stapler and the larger airstrike 18GA narrow crown stapler) and those have worked great for me so far. The latter I've used for the chicken coup.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2023

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Wow, you must have got a dud or maybe they've gone downhill. I don't think I've had a misfire in the 6 years and hundreds of nails I've fired with mine.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Another thing to consider (cuz I just watched a video and that thing is way bigger than I thought) is that holding a big battery + tool up above your head is probably gonna be much more tiring than just holding up a pneumatic nailer. The electric nailers are also a bit slower between shots, but that probably doesn't matter unless you are framing or nailing up a bunch of sheathing or shingles or something.

Your use case of 'occasionally need to nail some stuff without much messing around' is sort of the ideal for a cordless nailer but also the one that probably least justifies the high cost, so I guess the question is just how much is convenience worth to you?

The other thing with the size is getting it into tight spaces, when I was doing some shelves for closet built-ins there was a few situations where it was just too bulky and I had to drive nails by hand, a pneumatic probably would have fit. Not a big deal for me, but for someone doing it for a living, maybe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I guess the question is just how much is convenience worth to you?

I answered this question to myself years ago and told myself, extremely little. It's a black hole that will suck you in and not let go.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have both framing and brad nail battery guns. The framing is ok but the brad nailer is loving awesome. I trimmed my entire house and crown molding with it and I can't imagine how lovely that job would've been with air. Battery lasts forever too so you don't need a big heavy 4 or 5ah battery on it. I honestly haven't used the framing nailer enough to have justified buying it but hey that's tools. I have no regrets because the convenience of not dealing with a loud, heavy air tank and hose easily outweighs any negatives.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I should add that I lent my air brad nailer and a tiny compressor to someone who is finishing an interior with only a couple of solar panels for electrical and they're doing a ton of work with it - charge the compressor, drive some brads, plug it back in, measure and line up the next set of stuff, rinse and repeat. They have battery powered tools too, but they're not proving as reliable.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My middle ground was to buy the Milwaukee M18 air compressor (2 gallons I think). Very portable and lets me use air nailers almost as easily as battery powered ones. As infrequently as I need them it's proving to be a good balance and lets me have a small air compressor available for other things too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Typically a lot tbh because convenience is what lets me impulsively knock a project out instead of getting stuck dithering or playing video games :shobon:

But the points about comparative cost of compressor + air nailer (+ value of then having a platform for air tools) are good ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabant posted:

Hey, appropriately* enough this came out earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lp7WpBsFws

* do not buy these attachments.
I thought I was about to find out that my bulb augur was unsafe. I would have cried.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of my earlier ramble about buying into DeWalt cordless: one of the “free” pack-in options if you buy the nicer Driver/Drill combo is a 6Ah 20+60V FlexVolt battery.

Is that worth getting over one of the tools (at this point the two contenders are prolly the XR jigsaw and the XR 20V full-size recip)?

The ads say that you get more runtime (and more power if they’re FlexVolt compatible) with 20V tools, but more importantly—there would likely be a circular saw added to the stable sooner rather than later.

Would it be worth spending the additional ~$50 on the 60V saw vs the 20V if I forego a free tool and get the big battery instead? What are the gains/losses in real world terms?

(At the end of the day you end up saving like $130-200, regardless of route taken, and it’s not like he/I wouldn’t get a jigsaw or whatever when the need arose. I guess this is more about whether the more expensive battery is worth buying into at all)

DeWalt says a bunch of “the flexibility of battery + the power of corded” and I have a (~30 year old) corded saw to compare to, but I don’t actually know what that means for my dad/me, who will be frequently borrowing the tools.

The only other 60V tool he’d likely get is the 60v recip saw, and mayyyyybe a chainsaw?, so mostly this is about 1-3 handheld saws and otherwise the benefit would be to 20V tools.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of my earlier ramble about buying into DeWalt cordless: one of the “free” pack-in options if you buy the nicer Driver/Drill combo is a 6Ah 20+60V FlexVolt battery.

Is that worth getting over one of the tools (at this point the two contenders are prolly the XR jigsaw and the XR 20V full-size recip)?

The ads say that you get more runtime (and more power if they’re FlexVolt compatible) with 20V tools, but more importantly—there would likely be a circular saw added to the stable sooner rather than later.

Would it be worth spending the additional ~$50 on the 60V saw vs the 20V if I forego a free tool and get the big battery instead? What are the gains/losses in real world terms?

(At the end of the day you end up saving like $130-200, regardless of route taken, and it’s not like he/I wouldn’t get a jigsaw or whatever when the need arose. I guess this is more about whether the more expensive battery is worth buying into at all)

DeWalt says a bunch of “the flexibility of battery + the power of corded” and I have a (~30 year old) corded saw to compare to, but I don’t actually know what that means for my dad/me, who will be frequently borrowing the tools.

The only other 60V tool he’d likely get is the 60v recip saw, and mayyyyybe a chainsaw?, so mostly this is about 1-3 handheld saws and otherwise the benefit would be to 20V tools.

I don't think it would be worth it for a drill/driver. Those have more than enough power with the standard battery or even powerstack. The Flexvolt batteries are also much bigger and heavier than the 20v so it makes your tools heavier and cumbersome to work with. I have the Flexvolt chainsaw and leaf blower and that's where those batteries really shine. I'd look into a powerstack bundle before I'd go into the flexvolt for what you're describing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wandler20 posted:

I don't think it would be worth it for a drill/driver. Those have more than enough power with the standard battery or even powerstack. The Flexvolt batteries are also much bigger and heavier than the 20v so it makes your tools heavier and cumbersome to work with. I have the Flexvolt chainsaw and leaf blower and that's where those batteries really shine. I'd look into a powerstack bundle before I'd go into the flexvolt for what you're describing.

what about the circular saw and/or recip? I can definitely see it mattering with a chainsaw, although he might already have an EGO one, I have to check. I think he may have broken it, tbh.

Edit: and where do FlexVolt Advantage(TM) tools fit in all of this? Seems like an in-between solution that doesn’t rly make sense if 1) you have to buy the big battery anyway 2) the 60V tool is $50 more expensive and you’re already dropping ~$300+ on just the tool.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 14, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ok Comboomer posted:

what about the circular saw and/or recip? I can definitely see it mattering with a chainsaw, although he might already have an EGO one, I have to check. I think he may have broken it, tbh.

Edit: and where do FlexVolt Advantage(TM) tools fit in all of this? Seems like an in-between solution that doesn’t rly make sense if 1) you have to buy the big battery anyway 2) the 60V tool is $50 more expensive and you’re already dropping ~$300+ on just the tool.

I've never had any issues with power with my 20v circular saw or reciprocating saw (I have the XR version of each). I think you'd have to be doing some serious work to justify the Flexvolt stuff (outside of maybe a few tools). Also, the Flexvolt batteries are really expensive if you want to add more down the line. You can find deals for free 5AH batteries with a bare tool purchase all the time. These are just my experiences tho.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want a router. But which?
  • I don't want to spend more than £150
  • Needs to be available within the UK
  • I'm not bothered about it being cordless, though I have Makita batteries - I looked at the routers that use them but they start at like £160 anyway
  • I intend to use it on a sled for flattening stuff, and separately for rounding edges
  • I really want one with some sort of dust collection attachment, I have an extractor
I've never owned one before so don't know what I'd be looking for. Are these requirements reasonable?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they're reasonable. I think you can get this and this and be close to 150 funny money before VAT if you watch for holiday sales

The good brand of woodworking tools I like is Festool or DeWalt but you'd be paying a premium.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Just to chime in on battery powered nail guns: I’d highly recommend noticing what other folks are saying and… buying one that isn’t Makita. As a Makita household originally, I’ve come to find their limitations and good god their nailers made me think I didn’t know how to use one for some reason. They’re heavier, slower, and seem to be overall shittier than their competitors (both team red and yellow seem to have much better ones, hell the Ryobi talked about was better than Makita’s).

They’re good on a lot of things but carpentry tools often ain’t one of them.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah they're reasonable. I think you can get this and this and be close to 150 funny money before VAT if you watch for holiday sales

That looks good, but do I need to care about the power output of the thing compared to a mains powered one? Will I compromise on how fast I can do stuff? I ask because the cordless drills I have are poo poo at making holes in masonry compared to an ancient mains powered hammer drill I have.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

That looks good, but do I need to care about the power output of the thing compared to a mains powered one? Will I compromise on how fast I can do stuff? I ask because the cordless drills I have are poo poo at making holes in masonry compared to an ancient mains powered hammer drill I have.
Not sure how large of stuff you plan to flatten with a sled, but the linked router you quoted only has a 1/4" or metric equivalent collet and can't accept a very large bit which you would want if you are trying to flatten a slab or something. I would not buy a cordless router as your only router. If you get a second router, a cordless trim router like the one above would be great.

IDK anything about UK brands to know which is better/more reliable, but this is more like what I would look for given your requirements: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-T7EK...394&sr=1-4&th=1
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-er2100-2100w-1-2-electric-router-220-240v/535fx

e: if you ask in the woodworking thread you may get some more answers. I know there are a few UK goons there.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's good to know regarding the collet size. For dust collection, is it something people bother with, or is it pissing in the wind?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

That's good to know regarding the collet size. For dust collection, is it something people bother with, or is it pissing in the wind?

I'm sure quality of dust collection varies, but it can make a world of difference on something as messy as a router. Go from being covered in chips to having nearly no cleanup depending on what you are routing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Routers are really hard to effectively collect dust with because they don't always shoot the dust in the same place and any kind of collection hood is usually pretty in the way and in the wrong place. I am sure some have decent dust collection (festool stuff for example usually does) but I've always found dust collection on a router a bit more trouble than its worth. Being really loud and making a big mess are two definite downsides of routers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Typical Ryobi December use

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Typical Ryobi December use
:hmmyes:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

For big jobs with a router like flattening a slab, I think the most effective dust collection is two dust masks: one for you, and one for the person following you holding the shop vac hose next to the router.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have to cut a bunch of foil faced polyiso insulation into squares, am I on the right track thinking my circ saw + track plus a blade like this is gonna be the easiest way? https://marshalltown.com/pro-3403-centerfire-circular-rigid-foam-blade?variantItemId=29966

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Is it too thick for a knife? You could use a hand saw or even a sawzall

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It’s 2”.

A sawzall would surely work I just figured a toothed blade would make an unholy mess.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
What is the purpose where you need clean cut insulation boards? Is this some new finish carpentry I've not heard of?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Picked up a Ridgid octane cordless trim router at DTO for $55 yesterday.

Is Ridgid as a brand dying? The offerings since the DTO kerfuffle have been abysmal and I’m knee deep in Orange at my house. I am a mid level wood and auto tool user so the cost/quality value appealed to me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

the yeti posted:

It’s 2”.

A sawzall would surely work I just figured a toothed blade would make an unholy mess.

Frequently, (but not always) you can cut the foil side with a knife as deep as you can and then break the pieces after.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
USE THE POWER TOOL

:yeshaha:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jenkl posted:

What is the purpose where you need clean cut insulation boards? Is this some new finish carpentry I've not heard of?

Its less that I need clean edges and more cutting a bunch of them and wanting to minimize foam dust. Old house, sealing and insulating rim joist pockets.

wesleywillis posted:

Frequently, (but not always) you can cut the foil side with a knife as deep as you can and then break the pieces after.

Yeah, that’s what I do with like 1” XPS but I’ve no experience with thicker material; it seemed likely it’s too thick to score and break.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

Its less that I need clean edges and more cutting a bunch of them and wanting to minimize foam dust. Old house, sealing and insulating rim joist pockets.

Yeah, that’s what I do with like 1” XPS but I’ve no experience with thicker material; it seemed likely it’s too thick to score and break.

You need a proper insulation knife for this if you want to make the least amount of mess. This is the kind of thing I've used in the past: https://www.amazon.com/CenterFire-Insulation-Knife-cutting-insulation/dp/B0096A7968

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

the yeti posted:

My gut says there's gotta be cheaper ways to achieve this effect, but I've not actually been able to identify one (oh wait, I think Mo just posted one).

Can you cut outside? Edit: you are the yeti of course you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

ThirstyBuck posted:

Picked up a Ridgid octane cordless trim router at DTO for $55 yesterday.

Is Ridgid as a brand dying? The offerings since the DTO kerfuffle have been abysmal and I’m knee deep in Orange at my house. I am a mid level wood and auto tool user so the cost/quality value appealed to me.

Just on DTO, probably, maybe.

BeAuMaN posted:

So a fellow goon on a goon discord pointed this out to me (Not sure what their SA name is):

https://jehoshaphatresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NEW-ON-TECHTRONIC-Fraud-Against-Home-Depot-June-2023.pdf

The TL;DR is Ridgid Tools, at least as far as "Factory Blemished" goes, is going away on Direct Tools Outlet for the foreseeable future. Currently there are no "Factory Blemished" tools listed. This is likely in response to the report linked above.

More or a less short seller firm, Jehoshaphat Research, previously did research and made allegations on TTI's (the owner of Ryobi and Ridgid brands, as well as Milwaukee) accounting practices (stories here and here). They then followed up on doing a report on DTO selling new tools as Blemished, and how this was "defrauding" Home Depot.
https://twitter.com/jehoshaphatrsch/status/1665893867109883905?s=46

The inventory database on DTO was more or less open for queries (see page 34 of the report) so the short firm was able to calculate how much total stock they were selling of Ridgid products as factory blemished. Since the report was released, DTO has pulled all Ridgid factory blemished products.

Jehoshaphat Research is trying to increase the short on TTI stocks and make their name on what they deem "Blemishgate" (because everything needs to be named after Watergate)

It was good while it lasted. No idea what this means for Ryobi factory blemished, other than that may follow suit eventually too.