Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

BrewingTea posted:

Every time a transaction is made, there is a non-zero chance that Bitcoins will be permanently lost. (Or when someone dies and no one knows their key, etc.)

So on a long enough timeline, all Bitcoins will disappear eventually.

Currency of the future

I'm honestly waiting for the day when someone figures out a way to spend like $50 on crypto to....

associate every single wallet with money laundering.

It can be done, I'm just waiting for it. Would solve a lot. https://cryptopotato.com/defi-protocol-aave-bans-justin-sun-after-he-randomly-received-0-1-eth-from-tornado-cash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

BrewingTea posted:

Every time a transaction is made, there is a non-zero chance that Bitcoins will be permanently lost. (Or when someone dies and no one knows their key, etc.)

So on a long enough timeline, all Bitcoins will disappear eventually.

Currency of the future

That's part of that equation I posted about bitcoin being negative sum for the average investor. It's insane that these people say to be more "careful." Like, no, you will lose your poo poo sooner or later given enough transactions.

When I held crypto, I remember accidentally sending my NEO to my NEO GAS address, but it turned out the addresses were interchangeable. I'm a very careful person and poo poo happens.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Isn’t a significant number of Bitcoin lost in a number of inaccessible or unknown wallets

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Isn’t a significant number of Bitcoin lost in a number of inaccessible or unknown wallets

Over 500 billion dollars worth, which is 30% of all Bitcoins minted, according to this estimate:
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-much-bitcoin-is-lost-forever

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Money of the future: if you make a typo on the destination the money is just gone forever. Code is law.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It makes currency exciting.

If your bank just rejects a transfer to an account that doesn't exist, or you can just call them up to stop payment if you realize you just fat-fingered your whole life-savings to a drop shipper while trying to buy knockoff spongebob bobbleheads, where's the excitement?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Good afternoon, what is your thesis?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

There's a step when you buy a house where you have to wire your down payment to the bank and your realtor is like "you better get everything right because if one number is off you might lose your entire life's savings with zero recourse and also call your lender and manually verify the number right beforehand because theres tons of fraud and I've had clients in the past get burned by it" and it seems impossible that the financial system could possibly operate like this. I can't imagine living in a bitcoin world where everything works like that and is even more scam/fraud-filled.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

mega dy posted:

There's a step when you buy a house where you have to wire your down payment to the bank and your realtor is like "you better get everything right because if one number is off you might lose your entire life's savings with zero recourse and also call your lender and manually verify the number right beforehand because theres tons of fraud and I've had clients in the past get burned by it" and it seems impossible that the financial system could possibly operate like this. I can't imagine living in a bitcoin world where everything works like that and is even more scam/fraud-filled.

When I bought my last car I literally called the corporate headquarters of the dealership and had someone in their accounting department verify the routing and account numbers. poo poo is scary, even otherwise smart people fall for this stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

VitalSigns posted:

It makes currency exciting.

If your bank just rejects a transfer to an account that doesn't exist, or you can just call them up to stop payment if you realize you just fat-fingered your whole life-savings to a drop shipper while trying to buy knockoff spongebob bobbleheads, where's the excitement?

That poo poo happens with real banks. Like, bitcoin sucks, but this is a real thing.

Once upon a time I fat fingered bank account number in an email to get the deposit back on an apartment I'd rented in Germany. 1500 Euros disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again, which really loving sucked because that was a huge amount of money for me at that time. Zero recourse, just "lol sucks to be you."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Money of the future: if you make a typo on the destination the money is just gone forever. Code is law.

Every single transaction you have a non zero chance of bankruptcy.

Money of the future!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I haven't verified this, but lol and lmao if true.

Nothing of value lost (or gained) etc.

https://twitter.com/punk9059/status/1735995998969991532

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
some of the absolute top tier apes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Best Apes stolen in Crypto Zoo heist

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

That poo poo happens with real banks. Like, bitcoin sucks, but this is a real thing.

Once upon a time I fat fingered bank account number in an email to get the deposit back on an apartment I'd rented in Germany. 1500 Euros disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again, which really loving sucked because that was a huge amount of money for me at that time. Zero recourse, just "lol sucks to be you."

I can't tell if this is a "your bank really, really sucks" thing or a European thing because I did the same and the bank just, you know, fixed it for me here in the states.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ranbo das posted:

I can't tell if this is a "your bank really, really sucks" thing or a European thing because I did the same and the bank just, you know, fixed it for me here in the states.

In the UK these days, as in within the last couple of years, the name on the bank account and the bank account type (personal vs business) also has to match up or the transaction gets blocked automatically. But yeah, before that you did get into the habit of double checking the account numbers just in case or you're dependent on your individual bank (and the recipient bank) as to how they handle it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

feedmegin posted:

In the UK these days, as in within the last couple of years, the name on the bank account and the bank account type (personal vs business) also has to match up or the transaction gets blocked automatically. But yeah, before that you did get into the habit of double checking the account numbers just in case or you're dependent on your individual bank (and the recipient bank) as to how they handle it.

That used to be the case in Germany, but with the switch to SEPA the banks shifted the liability to their customers. Bastards.
At least you can still recover unauthorised or faulty direct debit transactions.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Truist refused to stop a pending mid five figure transaction from my bank account, we were told they "can't stop pending transactions" (what?), and then the bank manager implied that we actually wanted to transfer the money, or did it on accident, then implied that we were defrauding the bank somehow.
After an investigation from the fraud department (an investigation into my wife and I, not the fraud) we got our money back eventually.
We don't bank with truist anymore but yeah, banks will absolutely let you lose your money and you will be shocked at how little they will care. Lol if you trust that a bank is keeping your money safe.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Confirmed (in cryptopress breaking news).

All my top tier apes... gone!

But sadly, the founder of Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) has made an offer to pay the demanded 10% ETH bounty in an effort to facilitate the return of the pilfered BAYC apes to their owners.
https://cryptoticker.io/en/breaking-news-nft-trader-hack

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is a bounty

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A miserable little pile of secrets

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The only way to profit off NFTs: steal them and demand a ransom

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Professor Shark posted:

What is a bounty

this will explain musically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOsRVLQznU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

What is a bounty

Good call. The word was from the article. I see it was used incorrectly there and the word should have been 'ransom'.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Someone show me the difference between top tier and bottom tier apes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

CharlestheHammer posted:

Some traits like the hat they wear are quite rare, I think that's it. There's only 5 apes with that hat design, and 8 with those eyes, so this ape that has both is super mega hyper rare and thus worth more money.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's all decided by the prestigous Ultimate Grand Council of Apelords, based out of the Tarzan institute in Zurich.

They won't even look at your application to join unless you have Phd's in both Primatology and Graphic Design.

3 billion dollars a year to run, but worth every cent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cruft posted:

Hi, science background here, is this a commonly-held economic belief? I feel like it is. How does this work, in economics? From my perspective, it seems to assume the earth has infinite mass.
This usually comes up in the context of mineral reserves, since mineral reserves are typically calculated at 'we have about X years of supply, assuming steady or predictably-growing consumption, no new discoveries, and no meaningful shifts in the mineral extraction technologies.' The latter part are assumptions, and in some cases they are wrong, either because technology shifts (fracking) or because estimates were wrong (there is actually less useful coal than people assumed forty years ago).

It isn't that, for instance, more lithium atoms are being added to Earth by God, it is that now that we are actively looking we find more, and there are economic motivations for people to figure out how to extract it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whats the MA in MAYC?

also how come so many Yacht Clubs dont have Yacht or dont even have enough money for mid tier car or place to live?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PhazonLink posted:

whats the MA in MAYC?

also how come so many Yacht Clubs dont have Yacht or dont even have enough money for mid tier car or place to live?

Mutant Apes, as opposed to Bored Apes.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

PhazonLink posted:

whats the MA in MAYC?

Mutant Ape. If you already had paid for an ape.jpg, you could pay more for another type of token, and then pay a third time for them to use the token on your ape.jpg and end up with an uglier ape.jpg.

And it’s because they did nazi the collapse coming, OP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Mutant Ape. If you already had paid for an ape.jpg, you could pay more for another type of token, and then pay a third time for them to use the token on your ape.jpg and end up with an uglier ape.jpg.

And it’s because they did nazi the collapse coming, OP
Did they remember to slurp juice?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Difficulty: Impossible

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
But NFT's are immutable! What can possibly go wrong? :magical:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Classic con artist bag offloading method

"Hey, slip me 50k under the table and I'll let you 'steal' my apes that are totally worth 500k. I'll put in an insurance claim to get my money back. You and me against the big guys, just give me your money first"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Collateral Damage posted:

all their apes

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

gone

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

somebody should have told the hacker he only needed a single ape

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004