Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
we just couldn't figure out a way to travel through space in our space exploration game. it was too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

bethesda shouldve spent less money on coke and more on contracting the outer wild devs lol. outer wilds space flight, bethesda open world formula. but drat i bet it was some quality coke

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

just lol at the AAA writer of "open-world" video games going on Twitter to say "people can't synthesize unique experiences from common ground, walk a mile in my shoes!!!!!!!!"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spending 200 million dollars on the worlds most exquisitely polished turd. it reflects 99.99% of light. we used the worlds most advanced turd polishing technology, and actively pushed the cutting edge in developing new turd polishing tools. it is so smooth that it has a coef of friction so low that we needed new metrology equipment to measure it. our team poured their heart and soul into this turd. i know we promised to deliver you an assortment of theme park rides and attractions, along with the infrastructure for a fully operational amusement park, but this polished turd is what we've developed and hell, we stand behind it. and dont come at me unless you've polished a turd before

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How did Emil P even get to his current position, from everything I've heard about him, he's responsible for pretty much everything that's sucked in all the Bethesda games since Oblivion. You'd think somewhere along the way somebody would ask "I'm sure we went over this, but why are we promoting this moron again?"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just being nominated is an honor!
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-is-nominated-for-the-most-innovative-gameplay-award-in-the-2023-steam-awards/
innovative in the world of most load screens in a 4 minute period.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I paid exactly one dollar for Gamepass Ultimate and Starfield is still boring.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

steinrokkan posted:

How did Emil P even get to his current position, from everything I've heard about him, he's responsible for pretty much everything that's sucked in all the Bethesda games since Oblivion. You'd think somewhere along the way somebody would ask "I'm sure we went over this, but why are we promoting this moron again?"

have u ever heard of a man named Todd Howard

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

its all nice on rice posted:

Just being nominated is an honor!
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-is-nominated-for-the-most-innovative-gameplay-award-in-the-2023-steam-awards/
innovative in the world of most load screens in a 4 minute period.

Most innovative gameplay lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This plays exactly the same as Skyrim/Fallout huh? Like the exact same gameplay loop but with a different setting.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This plays exactly the same as Skyrim/Fallout huh? Like the exact same gameplay loop but with a different setting.

no. it's much worse

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

cuz he directed the dark brotherhood questline (i dont think wrote, p sure kirkbride did), and that was the most well received of oblivion's quests. so todd took him under and had him write fallout 3, a.. masterpiece

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I still lol every time I remember that the ending of fallout 3 was a Mecha anime

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm glad you can remember. Jesus I can't remember the story at all. I remember some of the quests and I remember the ending has you lock someone in a pressure chamber or something.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Punkinhead posted:

I thought I was done lol'ing at Starfield but I'm hootin and a'hollerin cuz the lead designer just went on a twitter rant about how making video games is hard and unless you make them you're not allowed to question Starfields development process

Here's an article so y'all don't have to go to twitter or whatever

oh so it's bad cause you made bad design choices in the beginning and it forced you stick with them. yes i think we understand.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Started playing BG3. PG so far. Cool spaceship in the beginning too

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love that, like I am the customer and if I say your product sucks it sucks I don't give a drat how hard it was to produce.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You know that Bethesda quote about how only 8% of players ever install a single mod?

quote:

Bethesda noted that only eight percent of Skyrim players have ever used a mod
https://www.wired.com/2015/04/steam-skyrim-paid-mods/

There are currently just as many people running the Terraria Mod Loader on Steam as there are Starfield players.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

bro theres all kinds of spacefaring civilizations in D&D pick a race and they probably have some meteor or moon claimed. hell any halfway decent wizard has an extra dimension to chill in

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

You know that Bethesda quote about how only 8% of players ever install a single mod?

There are currently just as many people running the Terraria Mod Loader on Steam as there are Starfield players.

lol

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Smugworth posted:

doesn't stay pg for long if you get the companion dialog options right

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

cumpantry posted:

bethesda shouldve spent less money on coke and more on contracting the outer wild devs lol. outer wilds space flight, bethesda open world formula. but drat i bet it was some quality coke

Is there any spaceship pew pew game that has proper space physics like outer wilds did? That game was so fun to fly in once you got the hang of it. The existential crisis about your blink of an eye meaningless existence was cool too, but more looking for spaceship lasers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Lmao. I wonder what percentage of Terraria players use mods. Last I played it was after a few updates and the tmodloader was out of date so I didn't get to try any.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

vaginite posted:

Is there any spaceship pew pew game that has proper space physics like outer wilds did? That game was so fun to fly in once you got the hang of it..

closest thing that jumps to mind is Independence War 2. which is pretty old now. but from what i remember it had good spaceflight physics, better than most in the genre.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Freespace 2 had fun space physics. If I remember correctly, you could hold your trajectory & rotate to do a flyby of your target and stay locked on.
God that game owned.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the problem with actual Newtonian physics in a space dogfighting game is you just fly really fast at each other, decelerate, turn around and repeat

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's called strafing, look it up

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mozi posted:

the problem with actual Newtonian physics in a space dogfighting game is you just fly really fast at each other, decelerate, turn around and repeat

sure. i mean you're also describing medieval jousting and all kinds of other fun activities. whats the problem?

there's usually some objects like asteroids and space junk and gravitational fields of planets and moons and such to deal with to make it interesting. capital ships launching missiles and flak at you too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

speaking of dogfighting, reminder that dogs are extinct in emil’s story, not a single person smuggled puppies off world, not even in the time where colonies were established prior to the emergency evacuation of earth.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

as well as cats, which again, both already had models and ai for from both skyrim and fallout 4

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the in game lore is that pets were lost in the heckin doggo wars

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why has Todd not let space dogs exist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There were no dogs when real life astronauts went to the Moon, and they didn't complain about it. Delete all dogs.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
No dogs or cats is one of the most believable things about the emergency evacuation of earth. Why bring three dogs or six cats when you could bring another person? Why waste very limited resources on pets?

Why we couldn’t have alien dogs or cats though, that’s the question. Design a couple fun alien pets. Isn’t even that hard. Just make something with big eyes and a happy smirk with too few or too many legs and call it a day.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i mean you could even have just brought some dog hair and reconstituted them from the DNA afterwards

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Robobot posted:

No dogs or cats is one of the most believable things about the emergency evacuation of earth. Why bring three dogs or six cats when you could bring another person? Why waste very limited resources on pets?

Why we couldn’t have alien dogs or cats though, that’s the question. Design a couple fun alien pets. Isn’t even that hard. Just make something with big eyes and a happy smirk with too few or too many legs and call it a day.

there's no way some rich rear end in a top hat wouldn't find a way to prioritize their pets over people, and there was also a period of colonization prior to the evacuation

a noah's ark ship questline basically writes itself, they could've easily fit something like that in, and i expect they will in DLC now that people have pointed out how dumb the no animals thing is so much

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

vaginite posted:

Is there any spaceship pew pew game that has proper space physics like outer wilds did? That game was so fun to fly in once you got the hang of it. The existential crisis about your blink of an eye meaningless existence was cool too, but more looking for spaceship lasers.

Children of a Dead Earth did space combat with Newtonian physics, it turns out it requires a decent knowledge of orbital mechanics to plot intercept courses where you get within a few kilometers of your target and just spray lasers and railgun shots in the general vicinity of the other guy and hope their ship overheats from you loving up their radiators faster than YOUR ship overheats from outputting that much energy as laser beams and poo poo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's fascinating that Bethesda created a completely generic, utilitarian, cultureless world with no traditions or beliefs or identity beyond 'bougie urban renewal scheme' or 'cyberpunk 2077'.

But that instead of this being an accident they created very deliberate lore to explain that everything that makes life worth living was specifically destroyed on earth.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robobot posted:

Mozi posted:

i mean you could even have just brought some dog hair and reconstituted them from the DNA afterwards

They cloned Amelia Earhart and Genghis Khan and poo poo, they could have de-extinctified dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol this piece of poo poo has done nothing to earn hidden story spoilers