Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Larry Cum Free posted:

No to renting a car.

We're wanting to do a lot of museums, art galleries, live music would be great, definitely a lot of eating, a lot of walking, green spaces/gardens. I'm more of a history nerd and my wife is more artsy. I'd be happy if she was down to be dragged to a soccer game.

Favourite cities I've been to out of the ones listed are probably Amsterdam and Lisbon. It's my wife's first time going to Europe.

You can definitely do 6 days around Madrid. Tbqh Madrid itself is probably one of my less liked European cities, but you can spend the time exploring around the surrounding area if you get bored of the city.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Larry Cum Free posted:

No to renting a car.

We're wanting to do a lot of museums, art galleries, live music would be great, definitely a lot of eating, a lot of walking, green spaces/gardens. I'm more of a history nerd and my wife is more artsy. I'd be happy if she was down to be dragged to a soccer game.

Favourite cities I've been to out of the ones listed are probably Amsterdam and Lisbon. It's my wife's first time going to Europe.

Stay in Ghent and visit Bruges, Antwerp and/or Brussels (they're all 30 minutes by train from Ghent). Great food overall, musea in Antwerp (MAS, KMSKA,...) .Ghent and Bruges are stunning when it comes to history and art (visit the lamb of God in Ghent!) and Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels all have a very active music scene.

For a soccer game: try to get tickets for a home game at Union St. Gilles in Brussels. It's the closest you'll get to an authentic European soccer experience not sold to Qatar and other oil states.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

malder posted:

Stay in Ghent and visit Bruges, Antwerp and/or Brussels (they're all 30 minutes by train from Ghent). Great food overall, musea in Antwerp (MAS, KMSKA,...) .Ghent and Bruges are stunning when it comes to history and art (visit the lamb of God in Ghent!) and Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels all have a very active music scene.

:same:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Thanks for all the suggestions. After much soul searching, the second city is going to be Madrid.

El Classico is happening the weekend I'm planning to be there! But since I don't want to double the price of the trip, I'm going to try to go to a Getafe game :sweatdrop:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Larry Cum Free posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. After much soul searching, the second city is going to be Madrid.

El Classico is happening the weekend I'm planning to be there! But since I don't want to double the price of the trip, I'm going to try to go to a Getafe game :sweatdrop:

Who’s Atletí playing that weekend, too?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
They're not playing at home. Rayo Vallecano is playing at home too so I might do that instead of Getafe.

e: As a Manchester United fan, I might have to go with Rayo, since I just learned that Falcao is still playing for them and somehow they also employ Bebé as a professional football player. Also not going to Getafe will help me forget that Greenwood exists.

Larry Cum Free fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 28, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I missed this, but earlier this year the German commissioner for rail transport, Michael Theurer, announced that German trains were expected to become synchronized and fully-functional for making connections, like the Swiss SBB, by 2070 instead of the original 2030 estimate, lol ( https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/bahn-deutschlandtakt-101.html ). I don't know whether he is exaggerating to try and get more money, or whether he is a stone-cold realist.

"The Deutschlandtakt will be implemented “over the next 50 years as a project of the century,” Theurer told ZDF according to the report."

It's hard to see how that quote is taken out of context. I guess Deutschlandtakt taking until 2070 could just mean that national vs regional trains are uncoordinated, but that's still a long loving time to get the ICE and RE trains synchronized, unlike the current system where there's like, an ICE every hour to Karlsruhe or whatever, and then the main connecting line from say, Karlsruhe to Baden-Baden or whatever, leaves 2 minutes after the once-per-hour connecting train is scheduled to depart. I don't know if that's a good example specifically, but I've definitely experienced similar such connection timetables on the rare times I've taken trains in Germany in the last 5 years.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is a new low in Paris hotels

View out of the bathroom window, toilet is directly facing window. No there are no additional blinds or shutters I've checked.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What is the problem :confused:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you are shy about being seen vaguely pooping, you can just turn off the light?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Open the shades and scowl out the window angrily and powerfully while droppin' a turd.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've seen nudity out of the window in Paris before, it's fine!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Open the shades and scowl out the window angrily and powerfully while droppin' a turd.

:hmmyes: That's how you assert dominance over the natives

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Drone posted:

Power move, you must be from the Midwest.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

WaryWarren posted:

Power move, you must be from the Midwest.

Nah, that's just classic Parisian.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

distortion park posted:

This is a new low in Paris hotels

View out of the bathroom window, toilet is directly facing window. No there are no additional blinds or shutters I've checked.

Just be happy that's not the interior wall in the bedroom. I check hotel pictures very carefully now after getting burned with a glass wall bathroom once. How is this a thing?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I could see someone's slack window in the office opposite when sitting down.

greazeball posted:

Just be happy that's not the interior wall in the bedroom. I check hotel pictures very carefully now after getting burned with a glass wall bathroom once. How is this a thing?

I don't think I've been in any where the toilet is visible from the room but have been in a bunch where the shower etc is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In hotels in China they tend to have a window between the bedroom and bathroom/toilet. It does have a curtain or shades, though, so your roommate doesn't have to watch you poop.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I recently stayed at a hotel in Vietnam where there was a glass window without curtains but it did have some kind of frosting between the shower and the beds. However when the light was on the frosting wasn't enough to blur out your body because you were right next to the glass. I learnt how to shower in the dark pretty well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My girlfriend's parents recently stayed in the fanciest hotel in town and it had a full size window into the bathroom with full view into the tub and towards the toilet. It did have blinds.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

My girlfriend's parents recently stayed in the fanciest hotel in town and it had a full size window into the bathroom with full view into the tub and towards the toilet. It did have blinds.

That's pretty common with fancy hotels - at least for the tub/shower. For the toilet that's kinda weird. Sometimes also facing the outside, even without blinds! Here's a very expensive hotel room in Cape Town (Silo) for instance:

Although usually they should be way taller than anything around it, and no one should be able to reasonably see into it without a telescope.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 7, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From the room into the bathroom, in case we got our wires crossed :v:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
If there weren't huge-rear end picture windows in glamorous hotels, how would the assassin from The K_.ller get his shot? How would the target (and all other rich people, who I assume are hedonist weirdos) have weird sex where everyone can see?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s a swanky hotel in NYC known for visible naughtiness

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2009/06/standard_hotel.html

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

From the room into the bathroom, in case we got our wires crossed :v:

Yeah I totally misread your post at first, already made my post, then had to go with it rather than completely editing it away. I'm pretty sure I've never stayed somewhere where the toilet was visible from anywhere else, but when we were house shopping, we did visit one place that had a toilet like 2 meters away from the master bed, with just a curtain separator, which was weird as hell. It was a decently sized (~110m2) place built in 2015 or something, in Western Europe.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit nm

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 7, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Anyone have general advice for Athens? Will likely be doing a long weekend there early next year, as the last time I was in town was before the new Parthenon Museum opened. We’re gonna do a lot of the old poo poo, so less looking for museum recs and more restaurants, bars, hotels/neighbourhoods to stay in or avoid, if anyone has recommendations?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Has anyone been to Albania and/or North Macedonia and have tips they'd like to share?

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Anyone have general advice for Athens? Will likely be doing a long weekend there early next year, as the last time I was in town was before the new Parthenon Museum opened. We’re gonna do a lot of the old poo poo, so less looking for museum recs and more restaurants, bars, hotels/neighbourhoods to stay in or avoid, if anyone has recommendations?

It's been several years and a pandemic and stuff since I went to Athens, so I've been putting off suggesting anything.

We loved six d.og.s when we went, and for some reason I thought it had shut down but it seems from Google like that's not true!

We stayed at Athens Way and enjoyed the rooms and the breakfast. Exarcheia felt quite scrappy at the time, though not unsafe... But we did also go just after all the economic protests and stuff.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

Has anyone been to Albania and/or North Macedonia and have tips they'd like to share?

It's been several years and a pandemic and stuff since I went to Athens, so I've been putting off suggesting anything.

Since you have plat, there have been a few posts in the past couple years about Albania. I asked about it for summer 2022, but we ended up just going around Montenegro and Croatia instead. Not sure I’ve ever seen someone talk about North Macedonia here. Post some photos if you go! It’s unusual enough to be novel here.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saladman posted:

Since you have plat, there have been a few posts in the past couple years about Albania. I asked about it for summer 2022, but we ended up just going around Montenegro and Croatia instead. Not sure I’ve ever seen someone talk about North Macedonia here. Post some photos if you go! It’s unusual enough to be novel here.

Thanks, I am so used to the search function not working I genuinely hadn't considered it. Not a lot of info on the posts there are... Kosovo was such a good little weekend it inspired us to go to more of the Balkans over ~8 days and so far the rough plan is Tirana, Lake Ohrid (unsure which bit as yet) and Skopje.

We were meant to go to Croatia (Zagreb - Plitvice - Split - Dubrovnik) in 2020 and just... never made it. We've been to Greece, Turkiye, Slovenia and Kosovo. Would love to go to Bosnia & Herzegovina, but it's weirdly hard to combine with travel to other places in that bit of Europe and we fancy a multi-country trip on this holiday.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I was in Albania for a week in October

Tirana I really enjoyed, mainly spending time in the Blloku area (lots of students/young people, restaurants and bars) and around Skanderbeg square

the best meal I had was at Fresh Garden on Rruga Brigada e VIII and the best bar was the Illyrian Saloon on Rruga Perlat Rexhepi

I also spent a few days in Durrës which was nice but I don't think I'd go back, there's some nice historical stuff like the amphitheatre but it's much more touristy

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I was in Albania last January, and had a nice time. Went hiking in the mountains east of Kükes, near a small town called Novosej by the Kosovo border. We stayed in a really nice guest house whose name I can dig out if you're interested in heading that direction. The last part of the drive east was gorgeous, through this fantastic mountain pass. The hiking itself was pleasant. Not its best due to the season making the day short and the vegetation brownish, although supposedly the alpine meadows there are a rainbow in the springtime when all the wildflowers bloom. I'd still honestly recommend taking the overnight side trip out there. Trails are ill-defined but it's just a big open area on a slope so you can pretty much see where you are all the time.

The other part of the country I visited was the south. Pogradec I didn't love, although lake Ohrid is pretty. If you're going to North Macedonia it's maybe better seen from their side of the water, but we didn't cross that border. We did really like Gjirokaster and the ruins down at Butrint.

January seemed to be pretty dead tourist-wise. We had almost everything to ourselves, but also some hotels were just sort of closed. One place we reserved through a travel site ended up just refusing our money and sending us an email saying "yeah we're not open in winter, not sure why they let you book this." So it might be worth springing for the extra couple bucks to get a cellular internet thing for the rental car. (and for the insurance; it's a push-your-way-through type of driving culture and I don't think I saw a functioning traffic signal outside Tirana.)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Akratic Method posted:

I was in Albania last January, and had a nice time. Went hiking in the mountains east of Kükes, near a small town called Novosej by the Kosovo border. We stayed in a really nice guest house whose name I can dig out if you're interested in heading that direction. The last part of the drive east was gorgeous, through this fantastic mountain pass. The hiking itself was pleasant. Not its best due to the season making the day short and the vegetation brownish, although supposedly the alpine meadows there are a rainbow in the springtime when all the wildflowers bloom. I'd still honestly recommend taking the overnight side trip out there. Trails are ill-defined but it's just a big open area on a slope so you can pretty much see where you are all the time.

The other part of the country I visited was the south. Pogradec I didn't love, although lake Ohrid is pretty. If you're going to North Macedonia it's maybe better seen from their side of the water, but we didn't cross that border. We did really like Gjirokaster and the ruins down at Butrint.

January seemed to be pretty dead tourist-wise. We had almost everything to ourselves, but also some hotels were just sort of closed. One place we reserved through a travel site ended up just refusing our money and sending us an email saying "yeah we're not open in winter, not sure why they let you book this." So it might be worth springing for the extra couple bucks to get a cellular internet thing for the rental car. (and for the insurance; it's a push-your-way-through type of driving culture and I don't think I saw a functioning traffic signal outside Tirana.)

Thanks for this! I don't drive on holiday, so we'll be using public transport and taxis.

Good heads-up on going out of season too, I'll make sure to be mindful.

I think our plan is Tirana - Ohrid - Skopje. Well assuming we can work out the bus situation from Tirana to Ohrid!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have an open-jaw trip to Spain, to Barcelona and returning from Madrid, about 10 days. I've been to Barca before, but want to spend a few days there meeting friends and seeing stuff I didn't get to before. I'm now considering if I should make my way to Madrid through the coast and Valencia, or via Zaragoza instead. I haven't been to either, but both look nice

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife and I are thinking of taking a trip in the first week or two in May, and Stockholm is on the list. We have some friends who have taken trips there and have loved it. We've been traveling with a 2 year old, so city vacations where we can walk around, maybe do a museum in the morning, and walk around in the afternoon have been okay. It seems like Stockholm might be conducive to that +/- some day trips? Would anyone tack on another city in 8/9 days? Copenhagen? Something else?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If I was travelling with just my GF (and didn't live in Stockholm), I'd absolutely say 8 days in Stockholm is too much and split it between two cities. With a kid and/or wanting an easier, more relaxed pace, it could go either way. Stockholm is easier with kids than many places and May is a gorgeous time to visit, so 8 or 9 days including some days trips could work well for a chill family trip.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Waci posted:

If I was travelling with just my GF (and didn't live in Stockholm), I'd absolutely say 8 days in Stockholm is too much and split it between two cities. With a kid and/or wanting an easier, more relaxed pace, it could go either way. Stockholm is easier with kids than many places and May is a gorgeous time to visit, so 8 or 9 days including some days trips could work well for a chill family trip.

That's helpful, thanks. So it sounds like we could either do Stockholm + day trips around the area, versus Stockholm + Copenhagen. What's the preferred way of getting from Stockholm to Copenhagen? Looks like there may be some high speed rail?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
There's a train a few times per day, yes. It takes somewhere between 5 and 6 hours depending on the specific train so you may lose an hour or two (not more than that though) compared to flying, but it's definitely more comfortable.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
My wife and I would like to spend our 10 year anniversary in Greece in July next year.

I have been thinking a week-long trip, ideally combining:
  • beautiful beaches
  • some light hiking
  • light sightseeing
  • good food

Ideally some place not too busy (which is a tough call in July). So I had in mind flying into Athens, sleeping the night there and then hitting a max of 2 islands (3 days each). As there are so many islands to choose from, I am having a hard time separating out good options from bad, particularly to avoid the crowds. Paros and Naxos seem to be the most recommended.

I am excluding Santorini and Mykonos entirely, mainly because of the crowds / cost aspects.

Anyone have any better tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kwagga posted:

My wife and I would like to spend our 10 year anniversary in Greece in July next year.

I have been thinking a week-long trip, ideally combining:
  • beautiful beaches
  • some light hiking
  • light sightseeing
  • good food

Ideally some place not too busy (which is a tough call in July). So I had in mind flying into Athens, sleeping the night there and then hitting a max of 2 islands (3 days each). As there are so many islands to choose from, I am having a hard time separating out good options from bad, particularly to avoid the crowds. Paros and Naxos seem to be the most recommended.

I am excluding Santorini and Mykonos entirely, mainly because of the crowds / cost aspects.

Anyone have any better tips?

Skip the islands and go to the Peloponnese. Amazing beaches there, ruins, villages, and beautiful cities. Stay in Nafplio and use that as your home base for day trips to the rest of the region. It's incredible there.

July will be tough for hiking in most of Greece due to the heat, but there is no shortage of hills and mountains in the country.