Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games focused around exploring or being in places where people used to be or should be and now they aren't, for one reason or another. genre not super important but i'm not mega into survival poo poo and i know there are a couple games that would hit the vibe in that genre.

i just love exploring abandoned places, or something that kind of evokes that """"""""liminal""""""""""" feeling

There's a ton of 'backrooms' themed games on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

are there any games focused around exploring or being in places where people used to be or should be and now they aren't, for one reason or another. genre not super important but i'm not mega into survival poo poo and i know there are a couple games that would hit the vibe in that genre.

i just love exploring abandoned places, or something that kind of evokes that """"""""liminal""""""""""" feeling

Try Hyper Light Drifter. It's a game entirely about exploring all the hidden and forgotten corners of a ruined alien world, goes really deep into secret areas and finding places off the beaten path

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

You got a lot of good suggestions, but this is literally exactly what INFRA is - you wander around abandoned places like factory, waste treatment plant, power plant, and travel through service tunnels and sewers. The few times where you move aboveground it's usually during the night or everyone is evacuated for some reason, so through the entire game you do not encounter a single person (outside the opening sequence).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Broken Reality has you exploring the mostly abandoned remains of a virtual representation of the internet and it is very good and has great music

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

Try Hyper Light Drifter. It's a game entirely about exploring all the hidden and forgotten corners of a ruined alien world, goes really deep into secret areas and finding places off the beaten path
So is the later game from its devs, Solar Ash - that's one game that I'd immediately associate with the word "liminal", in more than one sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Give Lethal Company a go. The interiors are semi-liminal because they're randomly seeded, and there is an alternate roomstyle that is rare but will feel very liminal. The Mansion

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

The Martian Chronicles .

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Deliver us the moon is a puzzle game/walking simulator about exploring a moon colony that has gone dark. You can get it cheap on sale and it's about 6 hours long.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
My wife inherited my Deck when I upgraded, and she's been using it to play her game -- Megaquarium. A few nights back she asked me if she could play Minesweeper on it. For some reason I was doubtful that there were any implementations available on Steam. Turns out, there's loads. Anyway, in the off chance that anyone here has played any of them, are there any that come recommended?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Demoncrawl is a minesweeper roguelite that is, by far, my most played game on Steam. It might not be the best choice if you want a "pure" minesweeper experience but the various mechanics laid over it are what keep me playing it.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Party Boat posted:

Demoncrawl is a minesweeper roguelite that is, by far, my most played game on Steam. It might not be the best choice if you want a "pure" minesweeper experience but the various mechanics laid over it are what keep me playing it.

Wow, this person played for almost 300 hours and left a negative review.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sensual-hermaphrodite/recommended/1141220/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I like the gameplay but it has probably the worst metaprogression I've ever seen.

Some people like that sort of thing though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Demoncrawl is pretty fun but I really dislike some of the choices it makes with cursed items / stage effects doing like "interface screw" poo poo. I wish they just stuck to affecting the minesweeper part. Like there's one that makes it so you can't open your inventory to see what items you have and one that makes stages "dark" so you can only see a bright circle of light around your mouse (but can still move the mouse around).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jack Trades posted:

I like the gameplay but it has probably the worst metaprogression I've ever seen.

Oh yeah unlocking everything is a real hard road. I mostly just play the daily challenges now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Hexcells series is excellent in the minesweeper-adjacent genre. It starts with pure minesweeper gameplay (well except it's hexes instead of squares), and then adds a few extra hints/mechanics.

There are three games in the series: Hexcells, Hexcells Plus and Hexcells Infinite. The first two only have a set of fixed levels, the third has its own set of fixed levels too but also comes with a random level generator. The fixed handcrafted levels are very good though, and arguably the main point. They can all be cracked without any guessing involved.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

14 minesweeper variations is pretty fun. I've only played the demo but there's been a lot of time sunk into it

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

Tametsi is an excellent Minesweeper game, and has the "gimmick" that you never need to guess. You may need to check ahead a number of steps, but there is always guaranteed to be at least one uncovered square that you can conclude with certainty has no mine under it. The game comes equipped with a pretty nice "draw on the level" feature you can use to test out various choices and conclude that, hey, whichever way I choose this square over here ends up without a mine under it or whatever. The levels are not all just grids, they come with various shapes and sizes, and the level will specify whether the numbers include diagonals or not. It's very nicely done.

It is pretty drat difficult, though. It took me around 200 hours to complete all 160 levels legitimately. If she's looking for something more casual, I'll second the recommendation for the Hexcells series.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 17, 2023

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

moosferatu posted:

Wow, this person played for almost 300 hours and left a negative review.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sensual-hermaphrodite/recommended/1141220/

Add a zero and you have the Elite Dangerous experience.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

FishMcCool posted:

The Hexcells series is excellent in the minesweeper-adjacent genre. It starts with pure minesweeper gameplay (well except it's hexes instead of squares), and then adds a few extra hints/mechanics.

There are three games in the series: Hexcells, Hexcells Plus and Hexcells Infinite. The first two only have a set of fixed levels, the third has its own set of fixed levels too but also comes with a random level generator. The fixed handcrafted levels are very good though, and arguably the main point. They can all be cracked without any guessing involved.

Seconding the Hexcells series. I played them many years ago and then again recently, good puzzle games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can i get a recommendation for a game about trading?

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

gradenko_2000 posted:

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX

Sailing Era

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

This pretty much describes either the Patrician series or the Port Royale series. Patrician 3/Port Royale 2 are generally considered the height of the series but are pretty old; Patrician 4 and Port Royale 3 are still decent though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ah, the Drugwars genre

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does anyone have this + an iOS port/version suggestion?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

tildes posted:

Does anyone have this + an iOS port/version suggestion?

Star Traders Frontiers. It isn't JUST trading, you can do lots of other stuff, but trading is a big part of it and is a pretty robust system

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sunless Skies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Might not be what you want but worth tossing out: Space Organ Trading Simulator or whatever its called was a lot of fun!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any good card battlers with single player modes? I finally got off the Marvel Snap train (decided it took wayyy to much of my time) and I thought I really like the experience, but just want it "complete" in a single player campaign/set of challenges, if that makes sense. Doesn't have to be purely single player, but it should be beefy.

Bonus points if matches are relatively snappy. Off the top of my head I assume there's probably a Yu Gi Oh variant or a Magic variant that does this, but I'm not familiar with the franchises so not sure which one(s) have good solo play, and also which can onboard me. Also open to other games/series

I guess to be clear, I want that one on one with another guy who made a deck from the same collection feeling, and not like, say, Slay the Spire (which I am still playing and love).

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Legacy of the Duelist has a shitload of cards and content but it also has the presentation and polish of a mid-2000s flash game

Pokemon TCG 2 for GBC and Shadowverse Champions Battle on switch are both very good though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Artelier posted:

Are there any good card battlers with single player modes? I finally got off the Marvel Snap train (decided it took wayyy to much of my time) and I thought I really like the experience, but just want it "complete" in a single player campaign/set of challenges, if that makes sense. Doesn't have to be purely single player, but it should be beefy.

Bonus points if matches are relatively snappy. Off the top of my head I assume there's probably a Yu Gi Oh variant or a Magic variant that does this, but I'm not familiar with the franchises so not sure which one(s) have good solo play, and also which can onboard me. Also open to other games/series

I guess to be clear, I want that one on one with another guy who made a deck from the same collection feeling, and not like, say, Slay the Spire (which I am still playing and love).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/481180/System_Crash/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sailwind is the one you want! Focused with exhaustive detail on exclusively three things: sailing, navigation, and trading.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

also Vagrus: The Riven Realms, StarTraders Frontiers

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Artelier posted:

The single player component of Legends of Runeterra is really good. A top tier experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Startopia.

Get the original on GoG, not the remake, it sucks.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sailwind is in EA and does this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Startopia.

Get the original on GoG, not the remake, it sucks.

A true and correct post, but OP specified a modern UI and the 2001 version's UI is, well, 2001.

I never heard of Sailwind before yesterday. It looks cool and I may pick it up in a year or two if it continues to develop. But it appears to be a game about handling a sailing boat/ship which might be more involved than OP was hoping for?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMO Startopia has a perfectly fine UI. I don't remember anything being particularly awkward to do.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

moosferatu posted:

My wife inherited my Deck when I upgraded, and she's been using it to play her game -- Megaquarium. A few nights back she asked me if she could play Minesweeper on it. For some reason I was doubtful that there were any implementations available on Steam. Turns out, there's loads. Anyway, in the off chance that anyone here has played any of them, are there any that come recommended?

Not Steam, but https://www.puzzle-minesweeper.com generates minesweeper-like puzzles of a variety of difficulties. Two main differences from classic minesweeper are 1)blank spaces are not necessary zeros, and 2) the game starts with enough clues visible that you will never need to guess.

The site also has a lot of other types of grid puzzles

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

which is the better of the 2 switch monster truck games?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Looking for some more ideas for lan gaming over xmas. For context, we'll have 5-10 people, a range of machines, a big range of gaming experience. In the past anything competitive hasn't really worked, co-op generally good, drop-in drop-out helps, cheap / gamepass helps.

in the past this group has enjoyed:
terraria, killing floor, mindustry, factorio, valheim, grounded (limit of 4 was annoying), AI War, tf2 bots, warframe, artemis, bf1942

stuff that we bounced off / didn't get enjoyed much:
lfd2, darktide, vermintide

Currently considering:
lethal company (i see there's a mod to play with more than 4), v rising, empty episilon, worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
4+ player co-op is rare but maybe Sven Co-op? Necesse?