Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Optimus going full EZ-8

Wrestling's Flying Forearm is a wholly different maneuver in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Infinitum posted:

The keel splits in the middle breaking the ship in half, now you have tanker sized punching gloves OBVIOUSLY
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction intensifies

Phy posted:

Right Cross "BOW BEFORE ME"
Left Hook "STERN CORRECTION"
:perfect:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just read Do a Powerbomb! and want to post like 50% of the pages in this thread...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The writer behind that is now writing Transformers, and if there's one thing that both those works have shown?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Daniel Warren Johnson's Transformers is still badass. Issue #3.

He loves his wrasslin'.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In the intro he writes that he got into wrestling when he was stuck awake at night by his newborn in 2018. So he's been into wrestling like two years longer than I have!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bullshit! Skywarp's a jabroni, he shouldn't be allowed to no sell a Burning Hammer!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

David D. Davidson posted:

The writer behind that is now writing Transformers, and if there's one thing that both those works have shown?

He loves his wrasslin'.

He also had Beta Ray Bill hit a rainmaker and some suplexes. DWJ is probably my favourite comics person right now.

(Reddit link because I refuse to download the Imgur app on my phone).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Uthor posted:

In the intro he writes that he got into wrestling when he was stuck awake at night by his newborn in 2018. So he's been into wrestling like two years longer than I have!

tbf wrestling has made great strides to just being a comic book in recent years

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1735869106782421256?t=GP3NxiPoVNoveC_qq3zdeg&s=19

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

He also had Beta Ray Bill hit a rainmaker and some suplexes. DWJ is probably my favourite comics person right now.

(Reddit link because I refuse to download the Imgur app on my phone).
Who precisely is Bill beating the Hell out of there?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

tbf wrestling has made great strides to just being a comic book in recent years
Wow. That's prime fight choreography.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love those moments when you can't tell who's supposed to have the upper hand, they just thought it looked cool. The lift at 20 seconds for example.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I love those moments when you can't tell who's supposed to have the upper hand, they just thought it looked cool. The lift at 20 seconds for example.

i mean sure you can't tell if you've never seen a wrestling match in your life

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

ManiacClown posted:

Who precisely is Bill beating the Hell out of there?

Random jerk if I remember correctly. It's a good miniseries which gets surprising pathos out of a horse-faced alien and his sentient spaceship.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alaois posted:

i mean sure you can't tell if you've never seen a wrestling match in your life

Rewatching it I misread the momentum. The guy was going for a body blow and got caught, I read it as the other guy trying to bodyslam him and he'd stalled it somehow.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Rewatching it I misread the momentum. The guy was going for a body blow and got caught, I read it as the other guy trying to bodyslam him and he'd stalled it somehow.

yah lol spots where dudes catch each other outta the air are da best

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alaois posted:

yah lol spots where dudes catch each other outta the air are da best

The whole thing's a cooperative dance anyway, why would I be surprised to see a lift?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Random jerk if I remember correctly. It's a good miniseries which gets surprising pathos out of a horse-faced alien and his sentient spaceship.

I've not really gotten to read comics for a while. Can Skuttlebutt still destroy planets and does it still call Bill "sir"?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Uh, isn't Bill roughly on a level with Thor, so theoretically able to punch Hulk in a way that Hulk feels? Clotheslining a random normie sounds like a bad idea for a guy like him, unless he likes picking up bits of chest out of his shirt for weeks.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It's an amazing series, just read it already.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ManiacClown posted:

I've not really gotten to read comics for a while. Can Skuttlebutt still destroy planets and does it still call Bill "sir"?

E: nm no spoilers but it's a fun mini

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grendels Dad posted:

Uh, isn't Bill roughly on a level with Thor, so theoretically able to punch Hulk in a way that Hulk feels? Clotheslining a random normie sounds like a bad idea for a guy like him, unless he likes picking up bits of chest out of his shirt for weeks.

by comics logic characters like say, Terrax or Mongul are adequately described as random jerks

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

OnimaruXLR posted:

by comics logic characters like say, Terrax or Mongul are adequately described as random jerks

I was in line at the coffee shop the other day, and Terrax was in front of me just talking on his cell phone really loudly for like 10 minutes. Nothing interesting either, just "I know, right", "Can you believe that?", "Yeah, exactly", those 3 phrases repeated loudly for 10 minutes. Then he finally gets to the counter and he's still talking for a minute before he orders.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uthor posted:

That's cute. He's been putting in a lot of work for someone who's only been watching for five years. I just assumed he'd been like me and had been watching wrestling as long as he's been reading comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That's cute. He's been putting in a lot of work for someone who's only been watching for five years. I just assumed he'd been like me and had been watching wrestling as long as he's been reading comics.

Didn't the WWE launch a streaming service showing decades of old matches during COVID? Seems like a good time to catch the gently caress up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Didn't the WWE launch a streaming service showing decades of old matches during COVID? Seems like a good time to catch the gently caress up.

They've basically abandoned uploading the old stuff. Not completely but it's a slow drip which is unacceptable given the amount of footage they own, and they also recently announced they weren't releasing dad's anymore.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 24, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How many dads have they kidnapped

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
John Cena, sadly: "You can't see them"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They've basically abandoned uploading the old stuff. Not completely but it's a slow drip which is unacceptable given the amount of footage they own, and they also recently announced they weren't releasing dad's anymore.

Fitting for the thread because it sounds Marvel and DC. The rate at which they upload old comics means they will never catch up. So many missing issues and big gaps, and not just obscure stuff either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A whole swathe of children will never know that they're genetically wrestlers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Weren't they uploading edited episodes to cut out matches with certain wrestlers they didn't want to be associated with anymore (for good and bad reasons)?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was just theorizing on how that writer/artist could gain an incredibly deep knowledge of pro-wrestling in a couple years. Like with the Marvel/DC online comic thing, yeah, not everything is on there, but if I just started reading comics a few years ago there's more than enough for me to get some really in-depth knowledge of the various bits of obscure lore that exists.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The thing about wrestling is that you don't need to watch a whole ton of it to get the gist. Knowing about history never hurts, but it's not like you need to watch all of Dallas to understand contemporary soap operas.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

He specifically got into it by watching an NJPW G1 tournament. I can't imagine recommending WWE content to someone who got into wrestling like that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Air Skwirl posted:

I was just theorizing on how that writer/artist could gain an incredibly deep knowledge of pro-wrestling in a couple years. Like with the Marvel/DC online comic thing, yeah, not everything is on there, but if I just started reading comics a few years ago there's more than enough for me to get some really in-depth knowledge of the various bits of obscure lore that exists.

I haven't watched wrestling since it was WWF and I still feel like I know all the major players and storylines just through the zeitgeist

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

He specifically got into it by watching an NJPW G1 tournament. I can't imagine recommending WWE content to someone who got into wrestling like that.

Yeah lol he's drawing dudes doing Rainmakers and Burning Hammers and Awesome Bombs, he's a puro guy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

I haven't watched wrestling since it was WWF and I still feel like I know all the major players and storylines just through the zeitgeist

I haven't watched wrestling aside from my friend kicking my rear end playing No Mercy in the 90s and I still feel like I know all the major players and storylines just through this forum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like once you have a handle on the moves and the techniques that's half the battle and wouldn't take long. The rest is campy melodrama soap opera, which you can encounter and learn and execute without knowing much at all about any actual wrestling storylines.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lobok posted:

I feel like once you have a handle on the moves and the techniques that's half the battle and wouldn't take long.

oh yeah? lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Got the Klaus hardcover, hadn't read it since it came out.

A few pages later.

Ho Ho Ho

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I love Klaus so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Klaus is so damned good. It should be crappy and if anyone but Morrison wrote it it probably would be