Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Jose Valasquez posted:

My wife and son have been sick all week but I've been fine, so I've been pulling double duty at home while work has been a nightmare because I've been oncall.

Monday is the start of two weeks off work for me and I've been 100% sure all week that's when it's going to hit me. It happens every single time I take time off for myself. I'm not allowed to recharge ever.

:( :respek: :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

The trend of "3 year old brings home sickness then gets better before everyone else" is making for some painful weekends.

This was me all week with stomach flu

Wife was out on business all week M-F so she gets back Friday night "why the hell is the house a disaster?" apparently "I've been laying on the bathroom floor barfing my guts out the last three days" is not a valid excuse

Kiddo had it Monday Tuesday but I picked it up from her Tuesday and I've been absolutely wrecked

Wife feels fine of course. Her: "how come every time your biological daughter gets sick, you do too?" hmm maybe it's like we have similar immune systems, or something, I dunno

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"They're resting! They're actually loving resting! Let's get as much poo poo fixed up as we can, asap!"

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I was dumping some spoiled milk into the sink, within view of the 3 year old.

I go downstairs for the laundry. It's quiet upstairs. Hmm.

I come back to a 3 year old dumping the contents of a second milk jug into the sink, the kitchen countertop, and the floor...

Whoops.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Dazerbeams posted:

My 20 month old son was great about feeding himself until recently. Now everything is thrown onto the floor unless I put it directly into his mouth. He takes this as an opportunity to try and bite me.

This was right around when things with my son that used to be very easy turned into a drat nightmare- baths, bedtime, and naps.

They learn the true power of No and that they actually don't have to do what you tell them.

And as far as 3 year olds infecting the whole family, BIG same here except mine never seems to shed his cough. He just coughs from one school funk to the next. I feel like he's been completely well for maybe 2 weeks during his first few months in school. But he also was hospitalized for a week with RSV so I think that cancels out.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

My 20 month old son was great about feeding himself until recently. Now everything is thrown onto the floor unless I put it directly into his mouth. He takes this as an opportunity to try and bite me.

My son feeds himself pretty well, but he's also learned how to say "uh oh!" when he "drops" something. And by "drop" I mean "purposefully holds his hand out at a 90 degree angle from his body and drops food, repeatedly, over and over again, forever."

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Yep... we're in the middle of all that with ours now too. Bedtime has turned into hostage negotiations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Oh that too. He loves his bedtime story and turning the pages. But he's also figured out that instead of closing the book at the end, he can just start turning the pages backwards.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shalhavet posted:

Yep... we're in the middle of all that with ours now too. Bedtime has turned into hostage negotiations.

God gently caress me and bed time routine. You give the kid an inch and he takes a mile. Every day we have to negotiate some new step in the routine and all of a sudden it's turned into this convoluted summoning ritual for the sleep devil. Attempts at streamlining the process usually backfires and ends up adding more steps to the routine.

We need to hide from Mommy as she comes up the stairs (the hiding place is always the same). We need to jump on Daddy's brown pillow with no shirt on. We need to go under the covers with our flashlight and play tornado shelter.

And I'm the meanest dad in the world for saying 3 more jumps then we brush our teeth, then refusing to allow 5 more jumps after I already allowed 2 more jumps after the initial 3.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 17, 2023

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Bedtime sucks and it has utterly crushed and demoralized me as a parent. And it may have ruined my marriage.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So far the best part of having a newborn is that I just say, oh well baby's not ready for bed and I got first shift, bye. Then I gently caress off and play with baby while my wife does routine.

Of course my fuse is too short to deal with that bullshit anyway due to lack of sleep. I can do baby exhausted but I can't do 4 year old exhausted.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Renegret posted:

God gently caress me and bed time routine. You give the kid an inch and he takes a mile. Every day we have to negotiate some new step in the routine and all of a sudden it's turned into this convoluted summoning ritual for the sleep devil. Attempts at streamlining the process usually backfires and ends up adding more steps to the routine.

If nothing else this thread has taught me to be unwaivering in bedtime blah blah:

30 minute warning, point out that it's dark outside + it's time to go to bed
15 minute warning, same as above
0: ok it's bedtime, time to go to bed. Allow for up to 1 minute of whining then stand up and start waking towards the stairs

Unwillingness to negotiate even an inch has reinforced that there's no wiggle room and generally they'll come to bed willingly and pretty quick. Fair warning gives them some time to mentally adjust/prepare

Mom is a total softie though and has major problems getting her to bed

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Lots of our woes with regards to transitioning between activities were solved by simply setting a timer on our phones. For some reason he has always interpreted that as fair. It doesn't get him to brush his goddamn teeth but at least it can get him to the bathroom.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the fastest way to put the whole night into an uncontrollable tailspin is to turn off the TV mid-show and go "ok! It's bedtime!" with no warning. Guaranteed 45 minute knock down drag out fight to just get off the couch

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We busted out the poster board, the markers, and the glue and created an honest to god science fair poster about Bed Time.

It contains immutable laws of bedtime in chronological order.

Jammies, Snack, Brush Teeth, Two Books (no more no less), Sleep Time, Wake Up Time

Combined with the benign overlord of the Red Light Green Light Hatch sleep system I have created a Bedtime Law and Order system, a panopticon of toddler sleep.

He still busted into the room at 3:30AM last night to wake me up for no reason.

We took the 3 year old to see Santa today and he was so insanely starstruck it was hilarious. Refused to smile for pictures and was super nervous. Begrudgingly whispered “monster trucks” to the kind old man.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

Combined with the benign overlord of the Red Light Green Light Hatch sleep system I have created a Bedtime Law and Order system, a panopticon of toddler sleep.

I wish thread titles could be longer :allears:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hadlock posted:

I wish thread titles could be longer :allears:

I forgot that the real panopticon is the insane camera arrangement pointed at the 3 year old.

Camera 1: Failed $20 webcam
Camera 2: Baby monitor
Camera 3: Google Home $$$Cam

It looks like he’s in a SuperMax. I would remove the dead webcam but I did a bunch of goofy cable management to put them all up on a shelf and route the power cords so it’s all zip tied together and I don’t want to mess with it.

Also the Google camera doesn’t allow you to Mute (you can only turn the volume down to 1) so god forbid you check the loving thing for the night vision while you’re in the room and create an endless feedback loop of white noise and wake the child up. Insane that a camera with a microphone would not have a mute feature.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crescent Wrench posted:

My son feeds himself pretty well, but he's also learned how to say "uh oh!" when he "drops" something. And by "drop" I mean "purposefully holds his hand out at a 90 degree angle from his body and drops food, repeatedly, over and over again, forever."

That comes to a hard stop after a meal or two immediately ends when something is intentionally dropped.

Those two meals suck because you're absolutely going to set off a meltdown when they test whether or not you are actually going to do the thing you said you will do, but the payoff is very much worth it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

As a parent of bigger kids, it’s really important to start enforcing the difference between ‘no means no, it’s time for bed immediately’ and ‘I prefer bed now but it’s negotiable’. My kids walk all over their dad because he bends all the time and, from their point of view, unpredictably. They can’t tell with him when he’s firm or when he’s flexible because it all sounds the same. It extends well past bedtime and into all other areas of their relationship too, unfortunately.

It’s not perfect, but I’ve spent a lot of time talking to my kids about when it’s okay to negotiate (and encouraging it!) and when something is a requirement. Because sometimes it’s fine to say ‘just a little more playing’ before bed, and we can discuss how much that is. And sometimes I have to say ‘playtime is over, now it’s bed or you will be too tired in the morning’, and there is no negotiating.

Also for the really tough times we outsource responsibility to the Echo to say it’s bedtime or breakfast time or whatever. Kids aren’t as inclined to argue with the robot!

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I think it's important to also recognize that, at least in my experience, no matter how good the system you have set up is, they'll still occasionally throw a huge tantrum and you just need to weather it. Our three year old is all about boundary pushing these days, even against things he's been fully indoctrinated to do (like brushing teeth before bedtime or staying in bed at bedtime).

He's been waking up an hour earlier than he used to and then he shits in his overnight diaper, then calls out because he wants to be changed. Obviously I can't just let him stew in his poop, but it really fucks with the "let mom and dad sleep until 7 before calling for us" rule. So now we're having to negotiate him back into his room after changing him, often at the same time we're dealing with the baby waking up. Just a whole cacophony of trouble at 530-6 am. I feel bad saying it but I cannot wait until the baby is old enough for daycare so I can take a week off work to take long naps and just recharge.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Olanphonia posted:

I feel bad saying it but I cannot wait until the baby is old enough for daycare so I can take a week off work to take long naps and just recharge.

I'm right there with you. Baby goes to daycare on Jan 3rd at 4mo old, I'm taking 2 weeks after that to recharge ( and deal with the new daycare sicknesses) before going back to work.

We'd wanted to push daycare start to 5mo old, but holy poo poo I can't continue dealing with the 2.7y and the 3mo old on the negative sleep and rest balance.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

cailleask posted:

Also for the really tough times we outsource responsibility to the Echo to say it’s bedtime or breakfast time or whatever. Kids aren’t as inclined to argue with the robot!

I didn’t know Russ Hanneman posted on SA!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm the opposite. I quit my job in 2020 to stay at home dad for our first kid and I'm still going strong with 3.5 and 10mo old boys.

The older kid really needs school so I'm glad he's in it but I miss my boy a lot of days. He only goes half days but he doesn't nap (stopped around 2.5) so he's often just sloppy after I pick him up.

I couldn't imagine sending our 10mo old to daycare and much less when he was still a potato. There are days when one of his grandparents will take him and the house is so quiet that it's weird.

All that said, if we didn't have the support system of two sets of eager grandparents nearby, I'd be pulling what's left of my drat hair out.

When our youngest is 4 and they are both in school full time, wtf am I gonna do with myself? Go back to work? Finally work my way down the ever-growing Honeydo list? Laundry???

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Rufio posted:

All that said, if we didn't have the support system of two sets of eager grandparents nearby, I'd be pulling what's left of my drat hair out.

Ding ding!

It's just the wife and I. Closest grandparent is my mom, 3 hours away and not retired yet. I'm certain if we had a set of grandparents around to help all the time it wouldn't be as hard, but as it is we are drowning.

I don't _want_ to send the nugget to daycare, but we've got no choice (also daycare only has an opening now, which does force the issue)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

space uncle posted:

I forgot that the real panopticon is the insane camera arrangement pointed at the 3 year old.

Camera 1: Failed $20 webcam
Camera 2: Baby monitor
Camera 3: Google Home $$$Cam

It looks like he’s in a SuperMax. I would remove the dead webcam but I did a bunch of goofy cable management to put them all up on a shelf and route the power cords so it’s all zip tied together and I don’t want to mess with it.

Also the Google camera doesn’t allow you to Mute (you can only turn the volume down to 1) so god forbid you check the loving thing for the night vision while you’re in the room and create an endless feedback loop of white noise and wake the child up. Insane that a camera with a microphone would not have a mute feature.

We had a cheap video camera someone gave us from some company we'd never heard of before. This thing was EXPRESSLY a baby monitor.

...so of course, it has evil-looking glowing red lights during night vision mode, and if it loses power for a second will reset by SPINNING AROUND THE CAMERA AND LOUDLY BEEPING?!?

So one night, the power goes out, and my wife and I are going through the house making sure everything's alright when we hear a blood-curdling scream from the kid's bedroom...

We had to get rid of the thing entirely. My daughter wouldn't sleep anywhere near that possessed motherfucker after that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

These are loving gross. Do not buy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Olanphonia posted:

He's been waking up an hour earlier than he used to and then he shits in his overnight diaper, then calls out because he wants to be changed. Obviously I can't just let him stew in his poop, but it really fucks with the "let mom and dad sleep until 7 before calling for us" rule.

Sounds like he’s in control of his bowel movements and he is within the age bracket. Time for potty training?

(Wouldn’t solve your morning problem but could get him to poop on the potty and just call for help wiping, which I’d prefer at 6 AM)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s funny to watch our helping in laws run around like headless chickens searching for a pacifier anytime baby makes any noise. Meanwhile my wife and I dont give a single gently caress anymore when the 1 week old is crying his head off during a diaper change or waiting for a bottle. What a difference from baby #1. No wonder people say the second is easier.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

It’s funny to watch our helping in laws run around like headless chickens searching for a pacifier anytime baby makes any noise. Meanwhile my wife and I dont give a single gently caress anymore when the 1 week old is crying his head off during a diaper change or waiting for a bottle. What a difference from baby #1. No wonder people say the second is easier.

It's funny how everyone's experiences reflect so similarly.

I owe my in laws so much for all of the help they've given us but that doesn't change the fact that they're completely clueless unless my wife or I are around to be primary shot callers. Their response to everything is shove a bottle in the baby's face, which leads to an over fed and uncomfortable baby unless we stop it in time. Even if he's not hungry he'll usually still take a half ounce before choking on the bottle so it's pretty easy to accidentally force feed him.

Two weeks ago wife had a doctor's appointment, and I was sleeping so we left them alone with baby. She was gone for 4 hours and left them 3 bottles in the fridge. They somehow used (and wasted) all 3 bottles in that short timeframe.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah our baby has been more gassy and annoyed this week because, shocker, the solution to everything is more food. We can’t really trust our family beyond keeping an eye while baby is napping so the help (which is still appreciated) is mostly limited to cooking/cleaning.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Crescent Wrench posted:

Sometimes "uh oh" acts as a warning for something they're actively planning to 'accidentally' drop, which comes in handy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The first few months after birth, honestly, every visit from our parents has been more trouble than help. Just the logistics around their visits are more work than what they save us on babysitting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The first few months after birth, honestly, every visit from our parents has been more trouble than help. Just the logistics around their visits are more work than what they save us on babysitting.

The first few weeks we primarily put them to work by doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, washing bottles, handling our older kid, basically all the non baby related things that need to get done. It was really nice.

Unfortunately it was a rude awakening when they decided they were done being here 12 hours a day and I had to start doing all that myself again. This house is a loving disaster.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My experience with fam assistance with babies is that if the person themselves no longer has a baby, the go to is "baby upset? Baby need to eat"

Grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, just all demanding baby is constantly feed

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My MiL (who lives abroad) is threatening with a multi-month visit next year and unless she’s really upped her game, that’s going to be a net-negative experience. Lady literally can’t even peel a carrot.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re multiple days in to a hospital stay for a UTI that wouldn’t quit last week. Saline drip + better antibiotics seem to have kicked the worst of it. The remaining challenge is how long it takes hospitals to process everything, especially when you have a 3yo who is feeling better and you don’t want them to rip their IV out on accident. 3rd parent iPad is pulling heavy duty right now.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

No it’s not, with presents to buy, school shows to go to, sick bugs to catch and in-laws to see.

Christmas can do one.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oodles posted:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

No it’s not, with presents to buy, school shows to go to, sick bugs to catch and in-laws to see.

Christmas can do one.

Yeah I am not looking forward to any of this stuff - gotta drive 7+ hrs next weekend to stay several days at the in-law's house and I just don't want to do any of that. I've put it off as long as humanly possible but I basically don't have a choice anymore.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah I am not looking forward to any of this stuff - gotta drive 7+ hrs next weekend to stay several days at the in-law's house and I just don't want to do any of that. I've put it off as long as humanly possible but I basically don't have a choice anymore.

I’ll have my wife’s brother and sister and all their children staying nearby. And they’ll all want to do activities during the day, as they’re older and have less children than me.

I don’t want to take my family of six out for sushi, or go to the cinema. Can we go do cheap stuff? Like walking, it’s free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our plan for grandparents slowly learning to watch the baby went out the window with the hospital stuff. They drove in expecting a kid’s birthday party only to get a baby thrown in their arms with a rough schedule of bottles and naps to go off of. Sounds like everyone made it through though.

The nurses got my girl an Elsa doll since it’s her birthday weekend. Very sweet gesture, but now we have to figure out what to do with the exact same doll sitting in our Christmas hiding closet at home. Really thought we were avoiding the holiday shopping crowds this year.