Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Darling innocent? I always got the impression there was something strongly amoral going on with him under the surface.

Darling's not intentionally malicious but he's bumbling, a little full of himself, and doesn't look at the big picture, the impact of his actions. this causes real problems when paired with someone like trench, who enables him rather then keeping his worse tendencies in check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Darling always came off to me as gleefully amoral, the very definition of the "so preoccupied with whether or not you could" line from Jurassic Park.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

exquisite tea posted:

Darling always came off to me as gleefully amoral, the very definition of the "so preoccupied with whether or not you could" line from Jurassic Park.

It's 100% this. He spends a lot of those instructional/educational videos in Control being giddy about the various phenomena they're running into without actually demonstrating a whole lot of concern for "hey, is this stuff maybe beyond our [ahem] control?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sam lake says that american nightmare is canonical, but it's an early attempt by alan to get out of the dark place that was unsuccessful

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's brilliant because now if you accuse American Nightmare of being a pointless and unfocused attempt at expanding upon AW1, that's 100% canon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like how aw2 puts Alan in the American nightmare outfit

But AN really does set up how the dark place and scratch work, all that continues into aw2. the only real change is scratch's "personality"

site fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 16, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The DLC is called Night Springs, American Nightmare took place in that same place... I think it's just a coincidence tho

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Darling innocent? I always got the impression there was something strongly amoral going on with him under the surface.

I mean it's SCIENCE! More on the Rusty Venture scale than say Von Braun... but who knows what Zane will do...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

site posted:

But AN really does set up how the dark place and scratch work, all that continues into aw2. the only real change is scratch's "personality"

The biggest letdown of AW2.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Scratch in American McGee's American Nightmare is just a character written by Wake.

The real scratch is a spooky blob of evil that lives inside Wake and possibly also the aul hag from the first game

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hope they fix not being able to pick up inventory upgrades. I’ve found all three but could only pick up one (in the general store).

Hilariously, the cult cache on the shore appears open but I can press x where the lock used to be and I hear the button sequence noises and try to repeat the pattern. It’s like the cult stash box is somehow locked again.

Edit: looks like it’s only the one in Bright Falls I can’t pick up. Reading up on this there is a fourth upgrade in the lighthouse I can’t get until later. I did get the one at the shore (I have two rows to fill).

Edit 2: got the lighthouse one without trouble.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had a good laugh when I met Ilmo, where he starts asking about your handmade sweater, because I'd already switched to the Oh Deer one. "Yes, my mother made it for me...she really loved that diner"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had a good laugh when I met Ilmo, where he starts asking about your handmade sweater, because I'd already switched to the Oh Deer one. "Yes, my mother made it for me...she really loved that diner"

That scene's funny anyway because Ilmo's all "Hell yeah, Finland! Us Finns gotta stick together!" and Saga's like "My mom's from Sweden. Anyway, about this loving murder?"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh right I've played the game entirely and can post in here.

I was extremely excited for the NG+ update, getting to play through the game with all the upgrades from your previous playthroughs has been relatively cathartic. Also would give me a chance to get the Lighthouse reward because my cult stashes bugged out my first run and never gave me the key!

Oh well NG+ can help with that-

Wait, the cult stash you get the Crossbow out of is already open now. You can't interact with it in any way or get it marked as complete? That seems like a major issue. Oh well I'm sure they'll patch that up pretty quick, a quick google tells me other folks are having the same issue. Anyway shouldn't run into any more problems right- I can't pick up the Monster doll because it's clipped halfway into the life preserver it sits on what the gently caress.

This patch is so cursed lmao. I really wanna push to the ending but man every time I hit a new bugged spot I just have to put the game down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Difficulty spike in The Signal was out of control. Every time they put an enemy on screen, I had to reload like 10+ times to get by that part.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Evil Kit posted:

Oh right I've played the game entirely and can post in here.

I was extremely excited for the NG+ update, getting to play through the game with all the upgrades from your previous playthroughs has been relatively cathartic. Also would give me a chance to get the Lighthouse reward because my cult stashes bugged out my first run and never gave me the key!

Oh well NG+ can help with that-

Wait, the cult stash you get the Crossbow out of is already open now. You can't interact with it in any way or get it marked as complete? That seems like a major issue. Oh well I'm sure they'll patch that up pretty quick, a quick google tells me other folks are having the same issue. Anyway shouldn't run into any more problems right- I can't pick up the Monster doll because it's clipped halfway into the life preserver it sits on what the gently caress.

This patch is so cursed lmao. I really wanna push to the ending but man every time I hit a new bugged spot I just have to put the game down.

There's another Monster doll to pick up in the area that gets revealed after the nursing home.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
going through Room 665 on ng+ and wow mr door, spoilers

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SirSamVimes posted:

There's another Monster doll to pick up in the area that gets revealed after the nursing home.

Is there another spot for it after you get the bolt cutters? Huh, glad they have some overlap. Still very weird that so many things have been bugged out to be impossible to grab.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

site posted:

I like how aw2 puts Alan in the American nightmare outfit

I just noticed this and it's great. "This is an FBI investigation, and I don't see a badge on that...flannel."

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ZeeBoi posted:

Hope they fix not being able to pick up inventory upgrades. I’ve found all three but could only pick up one (in the general store).

Hilariously, the cult cache on the shore appears open but I can press x where the lock used to be and I hear the button sequence noises and try to repeat the pattern. It’s like the cult stash box is somehow locked again.

Edit: looks like it’s only the one in Bright Falls I can’t pick up. Reading up on this there is a fourth upgrade in the lighthouse I can’t get until later. I did get the one at the shore (I have two rows to fill).

Edit 2: got the lighthouse one without trouble.

I'm having difficulty with this too.

I'm at the end of Return 5 or whatever (I've got the bolt cutters) and have backtracked everywhere for the collectibles.

I've got 2 locked rows in my inventory, so I think that means I've picked up one of the upgrades already, but I can't remember which.

I can't pick up the one in the stash in bright falls. I can see it but not interact with it.

However, when I go back to the cauldron lake general store there's nothing for me to interact with and when I go down to the stash on the shore (I think it's the one you have to crawl under a log for right?) there's nothing in it for me to interact with.

Also the deer head in the mind space has stopped interacting with me so I can't tell how many deer heads I've left to find, but the door it unlocks still isn't open, so I've got more to find.

Are they supposed to show up with the Setter charm? I'm sure I found one in the cauldron lake rental cabins but it didn't appear on the map while I had the charm equipped.

There's no way to know which ones you've already found is there? The idea of backtracking through all of watery and cauldron lake with the respawning enemies sounds shite.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The whole thread will probably hate me but I always found Darling very annoying and a terrible actor. Sincere thanks to him that he can sing and voiceact which is hs job but as Dr. Darling he was and is unwatchable.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sekenr posted:

The whole thread will probably hate me but I always found Darling very annoying and a terrible actor. Sincere thanks to him that he can sing and voiceact which is hs job but as Dr. Darling he was and is unwatchable.

I agree that Darling is pretty annoying, but IMO, that's less Matthew Porrettas fault and more that he only exists in the TV dimension and they give him too much screen time for that. The TV stuff works fine for jokes or alternative views on characters, like unhinged writer Alan, but with Darling, that's the entire character and it just comes off as annoying and unfunny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

True bizarro world posting itt.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The scrooges have logged on and are posting ITT

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finished the game, what a ride.

I think I had 3 deer heads left to find, and according to my trophy list, I was missing two nursery rhymes, seven lunchboxes, one charm, and one nursery rhyme doll. The other trophies are weapon-related. Very doable in NG+. Thankfully a max inventory upgrade isn’t a trophy… :newlol:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sekenr posted:

It's ok you're allowed to have incorrect opinions in this thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I wasn't sure if it would be possible but I ran out of bullets and wasn't finding any drops in the Nightingale fight, so I ended up getting good at dodging and just punched him out. Ready for Saga to get her own beat-em-up franchise :madmax:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think I had to melee one enemy and it took absolutely forever to do

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I finished base AW1; is the Mr. Scratch thing going to be followed up on at all in either the DLC episodes or AW2? I know he's in American Nightmare but Google says that's non-canonical. Such a weird moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGs7rm-HW3M

Yes, game, I've seen Twin Peaks too

e:

Ha, I just went on the same journey. By the end of Chapter 6 I was just like "yeah, Dark Presence, you can throw cars, I get it, you have no new tricks and I know how to deal with all your bullshit minions".

Yes and low key Alan wake 2 is them doing their own version of twin peaks season 3 lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
James McCaffrey has died.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/18/max-payne-star-james-mccaffrey-dead-dies-cancer/

I had no idea he had health problems. This sucks rear end IMO.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This actually might not be true—Remedy has come out and said they're not aware of James's passing and there are conflicting reports it might be someone else with a similar name. We'll know soon enough, I guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeez I hope that’s not true

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
It’s true. gently caress me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One of the greatest voices in gaming

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Funny as hell, this is the worst news I could think of.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Toaster Beef posted:

This actually might not be true—Remedy has come out and said they're not aware of James's passing and there are conflicting reports it might be someone else with a similar name. We'll know soon enough, I guess

Nah seems like they just didn’t know either

https://x.com/remedygames/status/1736793317604491609?s=20

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did Remedy know this was possibly his last role?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

RatHat posted:

Nah seems like they just didn’t know either

Yeah. I just figured while folks were scrambling to confirm stuff it'd be worth holding off. Ugh, what a goddamn shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Incredible career and a cool, humble man. Zero ego whatsoever about having ownership of one of the most iconic voices in gaming. I've been listening to James McCaffrey grapple with human misery in games since I was 10 years old, and I don't think I could imagine anyone else doing it as well as he did. Well done, James.