Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i bought a nikon d3100 like 12 years ago, haven't used it a ton since. i have a 35mm prime lens (AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G, supposedly a decent one), the 18-55mm kit lens (not sure how wide the aperture goes, but its a kit lens so pretty poo poo), and a 55-200mm telephoto lens.

i'm looking to get back into carrying a real camera around since obviously its way better than an iPhone.

i used to enjoy long exposures (night shots, light painting, kinda thing), and HDR with the DSLR; lately ive been using a drone to get perspectives/compositions/angles etc that you can't with the naked eye - the broad idea with both of these is using camera tech to get interesting shots.

the D3100 is cheap and old and can't do anything in-camera, all timelapse/hdr/long exposures needed fiddly gear/apps/manual work etc and was a pain in the arse. plus the screen is hosed after i dropped it, so evaluating shots after taking them (esp in bright natural light) doesn't work.

so i'm thinking about getting a new body. i like having The Best things and will gladly pay for it if thats worth it.

should i:
- stick with nikon to keep the ~€500 of lenses i have already, or go with a different/better brand (no idea what changed in the last 10+ years)
- stick with DSLR, i briefly read that mirrorless is better now and everyone gave up on dslrs? (it seems that if i keep nikon lenses i need an adapter, is that fine or are they lovely?)
- what in-camera features are available for stuff like HDR, long exposures, timelapses, anything else similar? which brands/models should i be looking at for good examples of this, or are they ubiquitous on high (or even low end) models?
- should i care about full format in a new camera or stick with APS-C from my current one?
- did anything else significant change in the last 12 years in cameras lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
If you like having the best and will pay what it's worth, then you probably want to start over. I just sold my Nikon D7200 and five decent DX lenses to move into full frame mirrorless. I stayed with Nikon but at that point it wouldn't have mattered if I'd switched brands since I wasn't keeping any lenses. The new Z mount lenses are all new and excellent, and the Z mount's geometry lets in a lot more light.

It sounds like doing a lot of the image processing in camera is important to you? If so, I would let that guide your choice among brands.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you want top tier tech the ZF is absolutely killer at 2k price point (2200 with the pancake lens which is also great).

You can’t go wrong with any of the big three brands for full frame mirrorless these days. They all have great tech in the bodies with slight edges in certain areas: Sony for video; canon for high end lenses, and Nikon for the best bodies annd value across the line atm IMO.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 17, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mirrorless is such a game changer, people on the dslr side don’t get just how much it is until they eventually cave and then never look back

I drive the first full frame mirrorless canon made, and it’s still excellent imo

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i bought a nikon d3100 like 12 years ago, haven't used it a ton since. i have a 35mm prime lens (AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G, supposedly a decent one), the 18-55mm kit lens (not sure how wide the aperture goes, but its a kit lens so pretty poo poo), and a 55-200mm telephoto lens.

i'm looking to get back into carrying a real camera around since obviously its way better than an iPhone.

i used to enjoy long exposures (night shots, light painting, kinda thing), and HDR with the DSLR; lately ive been using a drone to get perspectives/compositions/angles etc that you can't with the naked eye - the broad idea with both of these is using camera tech to get interesting shots.

the D3100 is cheap and old and can't do anything in-camera, all timelapse/hdr/long exposures needed fiddly gear/apps/manual work etc and was a pain in the arse. plus the screen is hosed after i dropped it, so evaluating shots after taking them (esp in bright natural light) doesn't work.

so i'm thinking about getting a new body. i like having The Best things and will gladly pay for it if thats worth it.

should i:
- stick with nikon to keep the ~€500 of lenses i have already, or go with a different/better brand (no idea what changed in the last 10+ years)
- stick with DSLR, i briefly read that mirrorless is better now and everyone gave up on dslrs? (it seems that if i keep nikon lenses i need an adapter, is that fine or are they lovely?)
- what in-camera features are available for stuff like HDR, long exposures, timelapses, anything else similar? which brands/models should i be looking at for good examples of this, or are they ubiquitous on high (or even low end) models?
- should i care about full format in a new camera or stick with APS-C from my current one?
- did anything else significant change in the last 12 years in cameras lol

The things you mention wanting to do with your camera might make the Olympus / OM System cameras a good fit. Olympus invested more resources into computational photography than other camera manufacturers, e.g. Live Composite, Live ND, HDR all in-camera.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

thanks for these, ill narrow it down to mirrorless and do this:

Muir posted:

It sounds like doing a lot of the image processing in camera is important to you? If so, I would let that guide your choice among brands.

reading between the lines it seems that using old f mount lenses with an adapter on the new Z mounts is a bad move? (im guessing because the adapter is extra weight, new lenses arent _that_ expensive, and probably the compact vs full frame makes the focal lengths different ?)

so far i liked the form factor/aesthetics of the Zf, but the (expensive lol) Z9 seems great but possibly overkill and also a lot heavier.

Godzilla07 posted:

The things you mention wanting to do with your camera might make the Olympus / OM System cameras a good fit. Olympus invested more resources into computational photography than other camera manufacturers, e.g. Live Composite, Live ND, HDR all in-camera.

interesting!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

blue squares posted:

I go back and forth with primes. They're fast, sure, but with modern mirrorless cameras and noise reduction software, taking low light photos at higher apertures is very doable. I find the fixed focal length too restricting when I am out just shooting whatever I happen to run into
On the other hand, sticking to a single focal length can give a body of work a cohesiveness you don't get if when every photo is at a different focal length. A couple of days ago I came across this story about a guy who took a photo around Cambridge every day for 13 years. His collection of photos achieves a consistency because he stuck to 28mm in portrait format the whole time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

thanks for these, ill narrow it down to mirrorless and do this:

reading between the lines it seems that using old f mount lenses with an adapter on the new Z mounts is a bad move? (im guessing because the adapter is extra weight, new lenses arent _that_ expensive, and probably the compact vs full frame makes the focal lengths different ?)

Adapted glass works well within a brand, e.g. Canon EF -> RF, Nikon F -> Z, and you can also adapt across brands, e.g. I've read that Canon EF -> Sony E works well. With your current lenses, I wouldn't really bother adapting glass if you have the budget for modern glass, because modern glass is quietly the biggest benefit of mirrorless cameras.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

It really depends on the lens. Newer lenses tend to have faster, more accurate focus motors, and the new mounts allow for better optical solutions. But some lenses might still be good enough depending on your use case, and especially a lot of the F mount classics are really cheap on the used market.

e: You could argue that the Z and RF mounts are currently the best ones, because Nikon and Canon have learned from the other companies' (and occasionally their own) mirrorless ventures.

double e: Oh and yeah the big companies have essentially stopped developing DSLR cameras so going with modern mirrorless means you have new stuff in the future.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 19, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Old lenses still perform better on the RF bodies via adapter than they did on the DSLRs just because of the way the bodies AF as well. I would assume the same for Nikon but haven't tried it myself. But the native lenses are indeed another step better from that since they were designed alongside those new AF systems.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This is also a person with the

• Nikon APS-C 18-55 kit lens
  • APS-C kit-level telephoto
  • the cheap but decent 35mm prime

that ain't exactly L glass. None of it is really worth trying to bring up to a newer Nikon ZF body.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

how much better are new lenses in terms of light performance? (do they just let in more light overall?) and say with a modern body (Z8/Zf), what settings could you shoot on in low light conditions? (streetscape sort of lighting)

for example, this is the best i could do (light wise) with the 35mm prime (AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G). this is f/1.8, ISO 1600, 1/125s, the image is sharp basically nowhere and its also super noisy. this comparison of relatively similar bodies seems to suggest i could get a big improvement just with the body in terms of both sharpness and noise - its way sharper and the noise is almost imperceptible on the Z8.

then presumably, also, the in body (and in lens) image stabilization that you have these days claims to work for 5-6 stops, which will obviously help in low light conditions as well (how well does this work in practice?)

e: im currently leaning towards the Zf body because it seems lightweight enough, full frame, good performance, physically compact, and the Z8/Z9 are 2x/3x the price but wouldn't really offer loads more

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 19, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how much better are new lenses in terms of light performance? (do they just let in more light overall?) and say with a modern body (Z8/Zf), what settings could you shoot on in low light conditions? (streetscape sort of lighting)

for example, this is the best i could do (light wise) with the 35mm prime (AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G). this is f/1.8, ISO 1600, 1/125s, the image is sharp basically nowhere and its also super noisy. this comparison of relatively similar bodies seems to suggest i could get a big improvement just with the body in terms of both sharpness and noise - its way sharper and the noise is almost imperceptible on the Z8.

then presumably, also, the in body (and in lens) image stabilization that you have these days claims to work for 5-6 stops, which will obviously help in low light conditions as well

e: im currently leaning towards the Zf body because it seems lightweight enough, full frame, good performance, physically compact, and the Z8/Z9 are 2x/3x the price but wouldn't really offer loads more

They're sharper, in general, and they'll focus faster. Yes, the body/sensor will show vast improvement at what was a high iso for your old body, but which is not considered high today, but the lens limitations in sharpness, contrast and focus will all still be there.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I mean I run my F-mount 50/1.8 on my Z7 with the adapter and it’s still a great lens. At some point I might grab the Z 40/2 but that’d be more about form factor than performance.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dupersaurus posted:

I mean I run my F-mount 50/1.8 on my Z7 with the adapter and it’s still a great lens. At some point I might grab the Z 40/2 but that’d be more about form factor than performance.

A great lens is still a great lens, adapted. Mediocre lenses stay mediocre. His 35mm is going to be fine, but the old kit lenses are just never going to be very good, even though the new body will improve some of the limitations (better high iso and stabilization will help with the fact that they're slow lenses).

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 19, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Early Christmas present from dad got here. I have a strong feeling this is going to be my favorite lens in my small collection. Canon 85mm F1.9 in l39 screw mount(if that wasn't obvious). It is fuckin *hefty*.

edit: VV unmodified Leica III. The A updated added 1/1000 shutter speed, mine only goes to 1/500.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 19, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

Early Christmas present from dad got here. I have a strong feeling this is going to be my favorite lens in my small collection. Canon 85mm F1.9 in l39 screw mount(if that wasn't obvious). It is fuckin *hefty*.

Badass. Is that a IIIa?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I have what I'm gonna call GGAS (Goodwill Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I just cant pass on cool gear for cheap.

Today I picked up a Powershot SX260HS. Despite the warning on the box, the fact that it shoots 1080P video, has like a 500mm equivalent zoom and is in really good shape, sold me on spending the :10bux:

I grabbed a generic battery for $10 off amazon that should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping the dodgy screen is either a problem with the now missing original battery, not actually a problem, or a minor problem at best. I guess we'll see :iiam:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hey that's my PnS!

I took some neat lunar eclipse photos with it back before I owned any real camera gear.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FBS posted:

Hey that's my PnS!

I took some neat lunar eclipse photos with it back before I owned any real camera gear.

Like, that’s the actual one you donated to Goodwill, or just the same model you had?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just the same model, I've still got mine in a drawer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, the battery came from amazon, and the camera works! It does lose the image on the screen from time to time, as was helpfully scrawled on the box. It seems to be a cable losing connection maybe? The screen is still somewhat readable when it happens, it just goes very dark and seemingly super high contrast. Tapping on the body of the camera fixes it for a bit. Maybe I'll try opening it up and looking for loose connections.

The 500mm zoom and built-in IS are pretty nice though, I might take it out at night and do a little astrophotography with it. It also does this cool thing where when you do a half press of the shutter button, it pops up a little picture-in-picture window on the screen showing you a zoomed version of what you're looking at, to make sure you have the focus correctly set. It does this even in auto mode, which is a bit weird, but a welcome feature.

I know many cameras today do that, but I'm a bit surprised to find it in a P&S from 2012.

Overall, for :10bux: though, I cant complain.

E: apparently the screen issue is a very well known issue with this model of camera, and can be fixed by reseating the display cables, so I guess I'm digging in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELzJ9I1RIrQ

Double Edit: 5 minutes later and I've got the camera put back together and the screen problem seems to be fixed! Shout out to youtube and goodwill

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 29, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That’s awesome. Congrats!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I want to get into super teles for the first time, for outdoorsy nature photos. Nikon Z, very open to adapting F lenses, especially since I'm on a budget. I can get a Nikon 200-500/5.6 for about 850€ used, should I be looking into the various Sigma/Tamron 150-600 versions? Or if the Z mount 180-600 VR is actually the best budget option (once it's in stock)?

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ more landscapes, maybe occasional wildlife photo

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Are you talking wildlife?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I want to get into super teles for the first time, for outdoorsy nature photos. Nikon Z, very open to adapting F lenses, especially since I'm on a budget. I can get a Nikon 200-500/5.6 for about 850€ used, should I be looking into the various Sigma/Tamron 150-600 versions? Or if the Z mount 180-600 VR is actually the best budget option (once it's in stock)?

I suspect you'll be waiting until next summer before you can score a 180-600. The 200-500 is a very good lens and I've seen them go for as low as 700 EUR (equivalent here in Sweden). If budget allows the 100-400Z is an outstanding piece of glass though and more versatile unless you are planning to shoot birds in which case you need all the focal length you can afford.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Tamron 150-500 is available in Z-mount now. It's worth mentioning as it's similar in size and weight to the Nikon Z 100-400, with extra reach, and a lower price tag than the Nikon 180-600.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m looking for a smallish backpack to throw my camera and an extra lens in for day trips around town or to the kids soccer games. Anyone have a Fjallraven Kanken and have thoughts on it? They have good reviews as a backpack and I’m wondering if it could be a good little photography bag. I just don’t want anything sling style and I don’t care if it’s a “camera” bag, if anyone has other suggestions.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Brrrmph posted:

I’m looking for a smallish backpack to throw my camera and an extra lens in for day trips around town or to the kids soccer games. Anyone have a Fjallraven Kanken and have thoughts on it? They have good reviews as a backpack and I’m wondering if it could be a good little photography bag. I just don’t want anything sling style and I don’t care if it’s a “camera” bag, if anyone has other suggestions.

What size camera is it? Maybe just buy an insert and turn a bag you already like into a camera bag.

Somethign like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-ZONE-Waterproof-Shockproof-Practical-Protection/dp/B01LYZRPQH/ref=sr_1_3

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Brrrmph posted:

I have one and I use it as a camera bag from time to time. It's also a nice backpack for other purposes, though it's pricey. You've gotta be careful setting it down if your camera is inside because there's really next to no padding on it, but it's boxy and can fit a camera and lens very easily. I use it to carry an X-T2 with a 16-55mm and 70-300mm zooms, to give you an idea. There's some room left over for other stuff, with those two inside.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We have one we use for a personal item on flights and yeah, it's just a thin piece of fabric I wouldn't put a raw camera (or any tech really) in. If you want to just carry a single small setup in any bag your best bet is to get one of these and throw it in your pack of choice, but then it can also double as a belt or fanny pack style on its own. I have a slightly larger one from Lowepro and like it a lot for that use.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I love Fjällräven in general but Kånken isn't a particularly good backpack at all, more of a hipster accessory (it was originally designed as a grade school backpack). The straps are pretty narrow and uncomfortable if you carry any weight at all. My go-to smaller backpack is a Fjällräven High Coast rolltop which has a good carry system and is waterproof.

Either way I would not throw a camera into one without some sort of insert.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Peak Design Everyday Backpack Zip 15 L is pretty small.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just have an Osprey Daylite that I carry it in. No padding, so I put a wadded up layer of bubble wrap on the bottom to avoid thunking when I set it down, and I keep my lenses in little zip-up containers that are lightly padded. The outer pouch is too shallow to do much with but it was okay to keep a cleaning kit and filters. Water bottle holder worked to hold my tripod.

If you're expecting massive amounts of abuse it's probably not great but I carried that around all day for two months in Asia without issue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Got this sling bag (Hex Ranger) as a gift and I'm really impressed that it can hold a full kit. That's a 50 1.2, 70-200 2.8, 35, and 16 all in there. The front and back zip pockets have plenty of space for batteries and accessories too. When I don't need the 70-200, I can also fit a second body in there. Will be great for shooting concerts and other events where I need to switch lenses frequently.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Got this sling bag (Hex Ranger) as a gift and I'm really impressed that it can hold a full kit. That's a 50 1.2, 70-200 2.8, 35, and 16 all in there. The front and back zip pockets have plenty of space for batteries and accessories too. When I don't need the 70-200, I can also fit a second body in there. Will be great for shooting concerts and other events where I need to switch lenses frequently.

I had this and sold it, but I use the Ranger mini as a photo gear cube when I travel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bought a K&F pro mist filter because drat are the tiffens expensive, and to my eyes they look pretty much the same.

Thinking about a tiffen smoque filter too, but they’re pricey and the knockoff brands like Neewer and K&F don’t seem to make them yet

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 5, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

While running yesterday, I saw a guy in domino park in Williamsburg taking photos of his kid running around. With a hasselblad h6d on a neck strap.

Never actually seen one in person, and the first time I do is some yuppie doin kid pics along the east river.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any deals to be had on camera gear in Japan? Used, refurb, sales, anything goes. My last big purchase was the 70-200 F/4 in Hong Kong which I think was a Japanese grey import and was like half price compared to European prices. I'll be in Japan around April so I might try to use this as an opportunity/excuse to upgrade from my m50 setup.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Depends on what your expectations are re warranty.