Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Arena is a lot more toxic than MTGO despite not even having a chat box. I've played leagues and challenges where you assemble a lock/combo that requires a decent amount of clicking and usually your opponent will concede if they have no outs instead of making you play it out. If you're laddering for zero stakes on Arena, even in Mythic bracket, most of the time the opponent will rope you or waste both of your time if you're on a combo deck. I think the client resembling a mobile game sends secret signals to peoples brains to make them go crazy.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think that's the case, I think people on arena often just suck like that

idk, I catch his stream a few times at work, and I don't get roped like 1/10 the amount of times he does, even discounting the obvious stream/queue sniping. Maybe that's just at higher ranks where that is the accepted practice, I don't usually get above plat in constructed or gold in limited. Though I don't watch a lot of pro players stream because most of them aren't very good at streaming, so maybe that's just a normal reaction to getting matched up against a name you recognize?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think that's the case, I think people on arena Magic players often just suck like that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I’m in the same boat, if you’re just using Magic Arena as Draft Crack packs are worthless

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

fadam posted:

I think the client resembling a mobile game sends secret signals to peoples brains to make them go crazy.

I, and I'm sure lots of other people, only play it on my phone. Some sometimes the rope may be due needing to take a phone call and forgetting to concede.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Half my ropes are when arena crashed on my phone and I didn't feel motivated enough or it took too long to get back online

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am playing this really slow combo deck for no stakes, why are people not respecting my time?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The people playing slow control decks are the absolute worst about alt-tabbing out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always make every combo deck play out its combo unless the combo also requires me to click. If I have something I can do like sac a Blood I'll just do it for no value to dump my priority then let them keep on their thing. I won't rope or anything unsportsmanlike, but I also don't owe Scurry Oak guy 5 minutes of his life back while I've got youtube pulled up on another monitor.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Huxley posted:

I always make every combo deck play out its combo unless the combo also requires me to click. If I have something I can do like sac a Blood I'll just do it for no value to dump my priority then let them keep on their thing. I won't rope or anything unsportsmanlike, but I also don't owe Scurry Oak guy 5 minutes of his life back while I've got youtube pulled up on another monitor.

This very fair. I think fadam and is mostly talking about people being salty and intentionally making the process take as long as they by abusing the rope system for the crime of playing the wrong deck, which happens a lot regardless of deck type. People just hate losing and then get really pouty about it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Huxley posted:

especially in Bo3 when they're fighting both their match timer and arena's rope, sometimes they're just forced to end their combo prematurely, or burn enough of their clock that they can't win game 3 in time

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not every combo is deterministic though. If you're playing Golgari Storm you can easily die without hitting any of your storm cards. Make em play it out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think time is one of the biggest reasons I don't play Magic online (and don't usually keep up with it when I try to get into it). If you don't want to spend real cardboard money on fake cardboard, you're expected to pour countless hours into grinding just to get wild cards just to get the staples you need (and then the more niche stuff after that), and on top of that, playing even a single round feels so sluggish sometimes with people hemming and hawing and roping and the game itself (naturally) going through each step and phase of each turn.

In person games tend to feel a lot more snappy and fast paced when you can both mutually shortcut things.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, obviously if you have an out or you want to see what they're running in a Pact deck (although this does really suck for the guy clicking all the Pact triggers away lol) or if you're unsure how a combo works (I once had a guy explain the old Pioneer Kethis combo to me while he won with it twice just because I didn't get it) it makes sense to get them to play it out, but if you're completely dead to a combo once they spend a minute or two building storm or resolving Amalia triggers or something I think it makes sense to just concede. You'll probably get more win% out of a session by just moving on with your life than you will shaving a bit of time off your opponents clock. It's a free country tho so if you really want to watch YouTube while I hunt for a Stitcher's Supplier over and over I'll just have to suck it up.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m in the same boat, if you’re just using Magic Arena as Draft Crack packs are worthless

That's not true though, is it? Once you start opening duplicates of things you get gems that can be used for more drafts.

And you can use saved up wildcards/vaults to craft those cards and speed up the rate of getting duplicates.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A Moose posted:

idk what it is, but every time I see him play constructed, his opponents are either stream sniping, or making a deck specifically to counter his deck and trying to queue against him, or just salt roping. Why does everyone on arena hate him so much?

Maybe it's because of thumbnails like that?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Maybe it's because of thumbnails like that?

If anything I would have assumed it was his sound board.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maybe they just hate Mondays?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shouldn't you be opening them so you can get gems instead of rares when you are drafting, then?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Framboise posted:

In person games tend to feel a lot more snappy and fast paced when you can both mutually shortcut things.

For me shuffling at the start of a game and then maybe 1 or 2 mulligan means in paper the time to just get a game underway can be longer than some arena games take to play out. Doesn't feel as long but sure takes forever to actually play.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Framboise posted:

you're expected to pour countless hours into grinding just to get wild cards just to get the staples you need (and then the more niche stuff after that)

It really comes down if spending those countless hours feels fun or not. I have fun just grinding coins from quests for quick drafts playing a little bit of ladder and retreating back to starter deck duels when ladder gets too intense.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
i play the game when its fun, and then dont for months at a time in between sets. I have literally every card on the client and have not spent a dollar in years. its really, really bad if you want to just hop into the new format as a brand new player but if you like to play regularly you can start to build a giant collection of wildcards etc without having to worry about grinding or whatever. just play when its fun and dont stress

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
If I discard a card to Indomitus Rex, can I pick the backside of the card, if it’s double sided and the transform side is a creature?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

If I discard a card to Indomitus Rex, can I pick the backside of the card, if it’s double sided and the transform side is a creature?

Cards are only their front side when not on the battlefield or stack. So you cannot choose the back side

712.8a While a double-faced card is outside the game or in a zone other than the battlefield or stack, it has only the characteristics of its front face.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Strong Sauce posted:

Cards are only their front side when not on the battlefield or stack. So you cannot choose the back side

712.8a While a double-faced card is outside the game or in a zone other than the battlefield or stack, it has only the characteristics of its front face.

Boooo

Thanks, but boooo

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Time posted:

i play the game when its fun, and then dont for months at a time in between sets. I have literally every card on the client and have not spent a dollar in years. its really, really bad if you want to just hop into the new format as a brand new player.

I've been looking at a lot of these lists and I think expensive is a bit much, especially comparing to paper prices.

You can make ~85% of these lists for approx 150 dollars (40 rare WC @ 100, 8 mythics @ 40) of purchased wildcards and 20 minutes of entering promo codes on a totally new account. These are like 600-1000 dollar decks in paper, so I guess it just seems a little more reasonable an entry point for some people, even if it doesn't exactly mirror a paper format.

Doesn't put the whole format at your fingertips or anything, but for the most part it seems pretty reasonable?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
150 dollars is a lot for a whole videogame, let alone a single deck for one. Can't really fault someone for not thinking it's a good exchange.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean you could lose $150 easily in value trying to resell your $1000 paper deck so idk what the big deal is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eej posted:

I mean you could lose $150 easily in value trying to resell your $1000 paper deck so idk what the big deal is
Now do the math on how much you lose trying to resell a 1000 dollar arena deck

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Eej posted:

I love arena but this is a stupid line of thought

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

HootTheOwl posted:

who's spending $1000 on a arena deck

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eej posted:

Every dollar spent on arena has no resell value and thus makes your original point kind of silly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eej posted:

For the comparison to be apt, the dollar amount needs to be the same

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you can either buy a car for £100 with no ability to resell, or buy the same one for £1000 with the option to sell it at some point for £800, you're not better off with option 2 just because you can't sell the first

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

distortion park posted:

If you can either buy a car for £100 with no ability to resell, or buy the same one for £1000 with the option to sell it at some point for £800, you're not better off with option 2 just because you can't sell the first

Card prices, famously, have never gone up

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
simply play well and arena is free

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

This, jokes aside.

I spent a long time putting way too much money into dumb gacha games with nothing to speak of for it now that I've quit, I'm not really too inclined to start dumping money into a video game for digital game pieces again.

Time posted:

see but here's the thing

i do not play well :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Time posted:

Sure, if you have infinite hours and never EVER stop playing

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

HootTheOwl posted:

Sure, if you have infinite hours and never EVER stop playing

I only play when a limited set is new then don’t play for months at a time. This new format is the only time I have really broken that pattern in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I enjoy competitive constructed and casul multiplayer. Any time spent playing limited or grinding quests with gimmick decks is lovely homework to me and I won't do it. Arena has always been a bad value proposition for me and it has gotten progressively worse as it ages. And I hve talked to plenty of other players in the same boat.