Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mike Williams seems an easy enough sacrifice since he's always injured.

Losing Mack would suck but he's the most expendable player after Ekeler. Bosa's the better defensive investment, Allen is a good safety valve for Herbert, and you want to keep what good OL players you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The JC Jackson dead money really loving sucks

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

The JC Jackson dead money really loving sucks

that was a rough one. On the bright side if belichick takes over and he comes back he’d be a serviceable corner again

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Alaois posted:

So he's a Marty Hurney

Remember what it was like to have a GM that hit on 1st rounders? Seems so long ago.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

that was a rough one. On the bright side if belichick takes over and he comes back he’d be a serviceable corner again

JC Jackson is not serviceable on the Patriots right now. He’s done.

Got paid and lost all ability. Like Trumaine Johnson.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yep, inexplicably decent against the Dolphins (twice!) and unplayably awful in all other games.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

Yep, inexplicably decent against the Dolphins (twice!) and unplayably awful in all other games.

*glances at week 1*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

*glances at week 1*

Oooh. I think I read this wrong. He was okay once against the Dolphins.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Long fuckin time coming. It really depends on whether the Chargers are willing to hire an established coach - one that has an actual track record of winning beforehand, the kind they haven't had since Marty - and whether said coach is willing to tell Little Spanos in the front office to gently caress off and let him and the GM run the actual team. It's why I think Jim Harbaugh would be best equipped to get em turned around, along with his track record with the Niners and Michigan. Will it actually happen? Who fuckin knows, i'm just glad Staley and Telesco are gone now. That's enough for the time being.

Diva Cupcake posted:

JC Jackson is not serviceable on the Patriots right now. He’s done.

Got paid and lost all ability. Like Trumaine Johnson.

In some fairness to JC, he blew his patella tendon out against the Seahawks last year, and never really came back from it. Staley also asked him to play quarters/soft zone coverage before then, which was... not his strong suit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Durandal1707 posted:

It really depends on whether the Chargers are willing to hire an established coach - one that has an actual track record of winning beforehand

Other than Belichick, which I'm increasingly thinking won't happen, which coaches on the market fit this qualification?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Hamhandler posted:

I did not know Pat White worked for the Chargers, wild:

https://www.chargers.com/team/coaches-roster/pat-white

My man! I wonder if he survives the slaughter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Other than Belichick, which I'm increasingly thinking won't happen, which coaches on the market fit this qualification?

Harbaugh if you believe he would leave Michigan. I think he would.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dan Quinn went to a superbowl

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

a neat cape posted:

Dan Quinn went to a superbowl

Unless he comes with Kyle Shanahan I don’t think he’s repeating that feat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Unless he comes with Kyle Shanahan I don’t think he’s repeating that feat.

Dan Quinn would be the absolute most :effort: hire, but I think it'd be good for the defense at least.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

https://theathletic.com/5141270/2023/12/15/brandon-staley-chargers-demise/

quote:

“He’s a good, smart f—ing coach,” a team source said of Staley. “Too smart for his own good sometimes.”

Had to share this quote lol. I assume the team source was "Brendon Stanley".

I can post the whole thing if someone wants but it's not a very compelling article. Just a lot of rehashing all the obvious ways in which the Staley Chargers sucked rear end. This section was mildly interesting.

Popper posted:

Staley is a brilliant schematic coach. He can develop a game plan on the whiteboard capable of stopping any offense. The only problem is the game is not played on a whiteboard. There were weeks when this brilliance shone through, like in a win over the Miami Dolphins in Week 14 last season. But more often, the scheme and plans were too layered and complex for the players to grasp and execute consistently. Players detailed how Staley and his defensive staff would try to build in answers and rules for every minute facet of opposing offenses — every route, every motion. At times, players said, this bogged down the unit as a whole.

They were overthinking, and they could not play fast as a result. That showed up in some noteworthy losses this season — Miami in Week 1, Kansas City in Week 7, Detroit in Week 10.

Staley’s inexperience was exposed in this stubborn commitment to a defensive vision that simply was not working. There was a disconnect between how some players wanted to play and how Staley wanted to play.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Remember when Staley just had to kneel out a game the Raiders were more than happy to let him do so both teams would get to the playoffs, and instead he went for the kill and lost, getting eliminated?

That was pretty funny.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Remember when Staley just had to kneel out a game the Raiders were more than happy to let him do so both teams would get to the playoffs, and instead he went for the kill and lost, getting eliminated?

That was pretty funny.

That is not what happened

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Didn't the raiders need a field goal to win, they ran a run play, were ambling slowly up and to the line in an obvious give up and run the clock out situation, then the chargers called a time out and then the raiders popped one to get them into FG range. Meaning they had to or it would be an obvious give up.

Because I don't quite remember 100% the process but I remember it being extremely obvious to everyone the raiders were content to draw.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Didn't the raiders need a field goal to win, they ran a run play, were ambling slowly up and to the line in an obvious give up and run the clock out situation, then the chargers called a time out and then the raiders popped one to get them into FG range. Meaning they had to or it would be an obvious give up.

Because I don't quite remember 100% the process but I remember it being extremely obvious to everyone the raiders were content to draw.

That is what happened.

Staley called the timeout to get his best run defense in the game.

Jacobs popped a 12 yard run and they kicked the game winning FG

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there a way to see the past?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cavauro posted:

is there a way to see the past?

There's no time but the present baybee :roboluv:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Chargers cut Allen, Kendricks, & Mack. Restructure Herbert and Bosa. Easy and then they have $20m in cap room for 2024.

They have a huge amount of 2025 cap, they can afford to push some of Herberts and Bosa's salaries there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Keenan isn't going anywhere. Mike is the one who's probably gone along with Mack, if I had to guess

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I agree. Keenan Allen is about as much of the face of the franchise as Herbert is. He should be retiring as a Charger.

Mike Williams just turned 29. That makes him way more likely to be traded or cut for cap relief. Khalil Mack was a spite trade against the Raiders; yes, he's still amazing, but he's too expensive with the least-worst cap hit of the big contracts. Bosa, I think is possible but not 100% to be traded; the dead-money hit this next year will decide what happens with him. Michael Davis isn't going to be coming back. same with Ekeler. Sebastian Joseph-Day is gone, that's quite a bit of cap there. Eric Kendricks, same. Morgan Fox is another possibility. There's a lot of guys on this roster that can be cut to make room for a much larger rebuild by a new regime. Yes, 2024 is gonna suck balls, so might as well dump as much as they can while the dead money hit is already spectacularly bad, and be done with it. No need to drag things out like the loving Saints. Who they cut in the offseason ahead of free agency is a good indication of how they want to proceed. And of course, who becomes head coach. I'm not banking on Bellichick at all. If that happened, I'd be ecstatic; even if he was GM too, I'd take it over the dogshit we just walked away from. Jim Harbaugh would be....interesting. He's definitely a competitor, and got a lot out of an aging roster when he was the 49ers coach, but I don't see that happening. He'd probably piss of John Spanos all the time. Fun for us, but that shortens his time as head coach. I'm not interested in Dan Quinn, but I feel like he's the sort of guy Spanos would go for as he's a much safer choice than Harbs. Past that, who knows.

All I know is that trading Herbert isn't happening. There's no need to roll the dice on a new QB when you got a loving fantastic one right there. But I'm gonna explore this a bit anyways.

Let's say they did, and got maximum value (3 1sts, 3 2nds, etc.) for him. Most of that would either go into building a roster without a franchise QB, which isn't gonna be competing. Look at the Seahawks. Good roster since they dumped Russel Wilson, but they just aren't gonna be anything other than a wild card team, and I do like Geno. I suspect they might trade up this coming year to grab a real QB, which is going to cost them. And honestly, it's something they should've done this past year when they had more draft capital to spend on it.

Or you throw most all of that to move up to 1st or 2nd overall to get a QB. Even if he works out really well, the chances of actually upgrading from Herbert are slim to non-existent. And you STILL have the same roster issues as before. You haven't really upgraded or extended the life of your position. They might come out ahead a little bit, but I doubt it. Honestly, the only way I see it happening are if a franchise QB falls to them in the draft, and they pull another Eli Manning about it, only trading Herbert to another team for a draft-day haul. That's the only way I see it actually working out, but they won't get as much on draft day as they would ahead of the draft for him. Either way, it's a gamble, and that isn't what the Spanoses are about.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1736223941889548325?t=bE683tzmQCGCu2z0BN9Srw&s=19

He won't be fired this year but this is a real "dead man walking"-rear end quote.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Woozie66 posted:

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1736223941889548325?t=bE683tzmQCGCu2z0BN9Srw&s=19

He won't be fired this year but this is a real "dead man walking"-rear end quote.

this is a man forced to start Mitchell trubisky

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
trubs better stop kissing titties and start kissing some rear end

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I dunno, looking at the full Steelers picture, we should probably be wondering how Tomlin has got this team to 7-7, as he approaches the prospect of his first losing season in 342 years.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 17, 2023

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Bumhead posted:

I dunno, looking at the full Steelers picture, we should probably be wondering how Tomlin has got this team to 7-7, as he approaches the prospect of his first losing season in 342 years.

The refs/NFL handed them two games. They tried to hand them a third against the Browns, but the Steelers were too bad to win even with help.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Why didn't the refs make the Chargers win Thursday night?

curious

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:stare:

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1736438311843942629?s=61&t=5XhQ3IY0TKf9sLs_Mzh2Lw

https://twitter.com/jeff_mclane/status/1736442299129962739?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 17, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
You love to see it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Congrats Dallas on your division title.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wasn't Desai considered a hot head coaching candidate just a few years ago?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Arthur Smith deserves to be fired almost as much as Saleh does.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Falcons wasting all that offensive talent because they don't have a QB and refuse to use Bijan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Harlock posted:

Falcons wasting all that offensive talent because they don't have a QB and refuse to use Bijan

lmao ridder's game losing no look interception into triple coverage