Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Sanguinia posted:

What confuses me a lot more is Jimmy telling Kerrigan that she should be running away with him instead of going after Mengsk. I mean, the later part is fine, his whole arc was about giving up his need to get revenge on Mengsk, he SHOULD be encouraging Kerrigan to do the same for consistency's sake. But he also knows that she's needed to save the universe from the Hybrids. He can't run away from that, and he shouldn't be trying, especially when his big final speech in WoL was about reaffirming his commitment to fighting for higher ideals and the preservation of the galaxy.

Jimmy doesn't really know what's happening, but choosing to focus on and fight Mengsk specifically is basically picking the most dangerous fight in the sector at this very moment from his perspective. Going through all the trouble to save kerrigan only for her to catch a bullet trying for revenge is basically the worst outcome. Any way she survives means that whatever she's supposed to do/know survives too.

BisbyWorl posted:

This is super convenient. Both because it means Kerrigan has no knowledge, and thus no narrative culpability, for her myriad of crimes, and because it lets the writers not have to explain literally anything about what she was up to in Wings. Why was she so focused on getting the artifact? Why was she suddenly okay with the end of the universe in the Prophecy missions? The world will never know.

If they told you it would spoil the twist.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I will specify just in case some people are misunderstanding: The Umojan Protectorate is not part of the Dominion. It is its own separate sovereign "Space Nation" separate from Mengsk's Dominion. Though they did have ties to Arcturus in his early days and his time as a Rebel, relations soured after he became Emperor. Valerian has more direct ties to them however, as his mother was from Umoja, and his relations with them never soured.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The Umojan marine armor looks really cool tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BlazetheInferno posted:

Valerian has more direct ties to them however, as his mother was from Umoja, and his relations with them never soured.

umomma

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

I actually quite enjoy HotS from a gameplay perspective. I don't think it's as good as WoL there, but it's still a fun romp. It might help that I'm Crazy for Casters and boy does this campaign have some doozies when it comes to spellcasters. I think this campaign's version of the Infester might be the single most broken spellcaster Blizzard's ever made. It's hilariously powerful and a lot of fun.

Storywise, I don't know if there's anything to be said that hasn't already been said. Except maybe that it was a weird as hell choice to say "What if Kerrigan's identity was utterly consumed by the two men in her life?" Her characterization, as we've seen even here, revolves a whole lot around "Awww, Jimmy <3" and "Grrrrr, Mengsk."

I also regret that what we get here in this campaign, again, as we've seen, is somewhere between anti-hero and anti-villain. The whole "Here's a campaign where you play a full-on mustache-twirling cartoonish villain who's doing horrible things for no reason" is one of my favourite parts of Blizzard RTS games (as well as Westwood RTS games, of course). It's goofy and fun and I dunno I guess when a non-trivial part of the gameplay revolves around things like massacring workers and burning down every last stinking Supply Depot it's refreshing to be able to play as someone who doesn't do those things then pretend they're the good guys.

All I'm saying is this could have been a moment where Jim says "I moved heaven and earth to bring you back, Sarah" and she says "Okay but have you considered that being evil is loving badass?"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
is there ever any lore explanation, hand-wavey or otherwise, for why de-zerging kerrigan in WoL doesn't seem to have done anything in terms of removing her ability to control the zerg? was it purely an aesthetic change?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HannibalBarca posted:

is there ever any lore explanation, hand-wavey or otherwise, for why de-zerging kerrigan in WoL doesn't seem to have done anything in terms of removing her ability to control the zerg? was it purely an aesthetic change?

I would imagine it hasn't fully worked, she's still got the bone-growth hair replacement after all.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HannibalBarca posted:

She can control them because she's a bonkers powerful Psychic, not because she was infested. The Confederacy was running tests on the things even before Kerrigan joined Mengsk - Mengsk isn't kidding in the first game when he says "It's clear the Confederates have known of these creatures for some time."

However, I will say her history as the Queen of Blades, even if she doesn't remember it, probably helps matters. But it's not the sole factor.

Small detail to remember: Every time the Adjutant describes Kerrigan as a "Class 12 Psionic"... that Psi Scale as an in-universe measurement of Psionic ability is designed to go from 1-10. She is a 12.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 17, 2023

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Re: the bug hair, if you really wanted you could say that hair isn't really a "living part of the body" like the cells that make up your organs, so it wouldn't be changed. However...

Barring some extreme closeup on the microscopic structure of her eyebrows and lashes, that looks like normal human hair so :shrug:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 17, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just on the more mundane side of things, imagine if Kerrigan had confided in him something along the lines of “actually, Jim, I had a lot of time for self-reflection these past few years, and… I think I’m actually gay/asexual/aromantic/otherwise just fundamentally not interested in you like I was before all of this.”

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm just going to assume Kerrigan is lying about not being able to remember her Queen of Blades days.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Remember the start of the Terran campaign, where Raynor was like "let's kick this revolution into overdrive" all movie-trailer style?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

You’re going to have to be more specific, that’s like all of WoL’s cutscenes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

There's a bit of a gap between the end of Wings and the start of Heart, which Blizard was ever so kind enough to cover in Flashpoint, a side novel designed to wring a few more bucks from your pocket.
*Jim and Sarah's relationship was retconned into being romantic well before Tarsonis.
By "well before", you mean shortly after they met on Antiga Prime, which is still (based on the Starcraft Wiki book summary) canonically where they met, in late December. The Battle of New Gettysburg where Kerrigan was abandoned happened in mid-February. Yes, Raynor's entire personality is defined by those magical seven weeks of romance.

GunnerJ posted:

Barring some extreme closeup on the microscopic structure of her eyebrows and lashes, that looks like normal human hair so :shrug:
Valerian just helped style her hair for consistency's sake, duh. He might be willing to completely ignore the death of billions, but he's not going to deny Kerrigan hair care products, he's not a monster. :v:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Back in SC1 she had hella braids (blazing red ones too), so this hair is actually closer to what she had as a human than the more "normal" hairstyles things like Raynor's nightmare depict.

Like I can't help but see it as just being braids in plastic tubes, like the ones on the end of shoelaces but longer.

E: oh god I just saw SC1 remaster Kerrigan and they made her fuckin' redhead Nova with slightly less resting bitch face. Ponytails are my favorite hairstyle, but c'mon let the girl have her own flair.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 17, 2023

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific, that’s like all of WoL’s cutscenes.

Part of my point - but in this case, it's like the first one with him. The one where he shoots a television screen.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm just going to assume Kerrigan is lying about not being able to remember her Queen of Blades days.

No, no there are totally reasons why she doesn't remember, and when you find out why you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It's nothing compared to the butchering of Kerrigan's character, but I find it hilarious that despite having a free ride on a gleaming space station, Raynor still hasn't bothered to shower or change out of his sweat-stained shirt.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

quote:

Here, the opening mission consists of Kerrigan throwing all the good will the Umojans are showing her back in their faces by trashing their place just to prove a point.

I mean, she was literally their lab rat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's been a while, but I recall my friend watching me play say she didn't like Jim because he's 'patronizing' to Kerrigan. She didn't know how blizzard treated both characters so far, so I didn't have the heart to tell her just how deep the bad writing rabbit hole went.

Though she does think the zerg are 'adorable' and got a zergling plushie for Christmas, so...

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Zerglings are adorable and make cute noises, I will die on this hill :colbert:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if you try to pet a zergling you will in fact die, yes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's gonna eat me alive anyway, so if that's happening I'm getting some pets in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's nothing compared to the butchering of Kerrigan's character, but I find it hilarious that despite having a free ride on a gleaming space station, Raynor still hasn't bothered to shower or change out of his sweat-stained shirt.

Experimenting on Kerrigan is only a side hustle, they're actually doing all the possible work in human science trying to get Raynor into clean clothes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Kith posted:

That’s why you spritz it with lemon juice when it tries biting you

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kith posted:

worth

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Drakenel posted:

Though she does think the zerg are 'adorable' and got a zergling plushie for Christmas, so...

One of the Carbot zerglings, or the official Blizzard ones that can flip inside out to morph into a baneling?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Carbot version of HotS intro which explains what happened to that Battlecruiser falling off the sky.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The infestor getting dropped with his tounge hanging and a plushie for support :3

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Felinoid posted:

Back in SC1 she had hella braids (blazing red ones too), so this hair is actually closer to what she had as a human than the more "normal" hairstyles things like Raynor's nightmare depict.

Like I can't help but see it as just being braids in plastic tubes, like the ones on the end of shoelaces but longer.

E: oh god I just saw SC1 remaster Kerrigan and they made her fuckin' redhead Nova with slightly less resting bitch face. Ponytails are my favorite hairstyle, but c'mon let the girl have her own flair.

that was something I always liked about Kerrigan's Ghost image in OG SC1. You could tell that she was just done with everyone's poo poo, her eyes were kinda sunken and her hair was all in dreads. Sure, she's still all business when she has to go ghosting, but otherwise she just looks like she doesn't care about anything. The replacement in SC:R does away with that and it's very lame

Lots of things about Kerrigan from 2010 and on are very lame

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Karia posted:

One of the Carbot zerglings, or the official Blizzard ones that can flip inside out to morph into a baneling?

carbot one. I hadn't seen the official ones, but I'm hesitant to actually give blizzard money.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

And here we go. Oh dear. There is quite a lot to say but many have already brought up the points relevant, so I'll just say that imo HotS would have been much better were Kerrigan just pretending, and this chance at a break was her genuinely going "Psych!" and massacring everyone there. Burnt off the Zerg, didn't burn off the Queen Bitch of the Universe. This isn't even close to fixing all the problems in the story, but it would help a fair bit already.

Story-wise, it's all downhill for here now, even if gameplay-wise it remained serviceable. I wouldn't call the gameplay bad, but it was for me the least interesting of the bunch. Could just be I don't care for playing Zerg in general however.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There are honestly so many ways to rewrite this scene to improve it. Kerrigan is hostile and trying to escape. Kerrigan is hostile but pretending to cooperate while out of her element. Kerrigan is playing along but toying with the Terrans. Kerrigan is trying to cooperate but the zerg queen in her head is pushing her to attack. Kerrigan is cooperating but pretends to lose control of the zerg to prove a point about controlling the zerg. Even just skipping the whole bit and having the base tutorial (if you really need it) lead directly into the events of the second level.

If anything it's hard to imagine an alternative approach that would be worse, at least while sincerely trying to write a story.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Of those options, I think her feigning losing control would be my preferred choice. Having her turn around at the end and go 'I loving lied, this was meant to teach you that you can't control the Zerg, so stop trying'.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Felinoid posted:

They are called aglets, and their purpose is sinister.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Drakenel posted:

It's been a while, but I recall my friend watching me play say she didn't like Jim because he's 'patronizing' to Kerrigan. She didn't know how blizzard treated both characters so far, so I didn't have the heart to tell her just how deep the bad writing rabbit hole went.

both of those points are true, though

I mean I'm pretty sure Blizzard wants us to sympathize with Jimmy, but his unearthly crusade to get back together with the girl he dated for a month, and his audacity to get loving pouty when she says she won't put her life on hold to, what, retire to a space homestead off the grid as two of the sector's most wanted criminals? It's not clear what he even thinks was going to happen, just that he feels it is incredibly unfair for Kerrigan to get a say in her own future.

I really don't like SC2 Raynor, is what I'm saying. Kerrigan is at least the victim of the plot being bugfuck stupid, rather than personally making all the worst choices possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure Blizzard wants us to sympathize with Jimmy, but his unearthly crusade to get back together with the girl he dated for a month, and his audacity to get loving pouty when she says she won't put her life on hold to, what, retire to a space homestead off the grid as two of the sector's most wanted criminals? It's not clear what he even thinks was going to happen, just that he feels it is incredibly unfair for Kerrigan to get a say in her own future.

It's just more of Blizzard's characteristic double standard regarding female agency. "You need to choose renewal, not vengeance" and all that, as it was put in WoW.

Blizzard is chronically, desperately afraid of women choosing anger and vengeance over forgiveness and stepping aside. I wonder why...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't know if this specific case is an example of Blizzard doing a cautionary tale about women getting too uppity. Jim Raynor wants her to give up on revenge, but it remains to be seen whether the game's overall theme and plot agree. (Can't say more because spoilers (also bc it's been a while since I played HoTS so maybe I'm not remembering something key and am therefore very wrong :v: ).)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

both of those points are true, though

I really don't like SC2 Raynor, is what I'm saying. Kerrigan is at least the victim of the plot being bugfuck stupid, rather than personally making all the worst choices possible.

I think there could be something sympathetic in Jim being the lovelorn fool, if they executed it better. It's an interesting potential idea to me that Raynor has spent the last four years thinking about Kerrigan, feeling shame and guilt that he wasn't able to protect her from turning into a monster (as if it was solely his fault, since he is the main character of the story he's told himself about this), and having alcohol-fueled daydreams about someday saving her. Then after much effort, he finally "saves" her, but the fantasy he's spent years pursuing doesn't come true. He's nostalgic for and trying to recreate a romantic relationship that barely existed in the first place, the feelings he's built up in the intervening years are completely unrequited, and Kerrigan didn't spend the last four years thinking about him as he did thinking about her. I think Raynor having to reconcile his fantasy of what he dreamed their post-WoL relationship could be with the reality of Kerrigan's lack of romantic interest in him would be worthwhile for his character to have to process!

Obviously they don't even come close to doing any of this though.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know if this specific case is an example of Blizzard doing a cautionary tale about women getting too uppity. Jim Raynor wants her to give up on revenge, but it remains to be seen whether the game's overall theme and plot agree. (Can't say more because spoilers (also bc it's been a while since I played HoTS so maybe I'm not remembering something key and am therefore very wrong :v: ).)

Oh, I mean, it is absolutely not intended to be read that way; there's more than enough unsubtle hints in the opening cutscene alone to tell us that Kerrigan absolutely reciprocates his feelings and does want them to be together, only she wants Mengsk to be dead first.

I just don't think that makes the framing any better. It could have been interesting if Jim's conflict between his fantasy girl and the actual woman was a deliberate plot thread they intended to explore, instead of presenting it as a tragedy that befalls our hero through no fault of his own, without even realizing that that is what they wrote.