Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

gently caress man, that sucks. Hope you make a full and speedy recovery PP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i was just moving some garbage cans around by some bushes yeah

and no, rat was handled with a metal shovel and then double bagged.

Did you end up just taking a Benadryl and applying some hydrocortisone cream and just waiting it out?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Woodsy Owl posted:

Did you end up just taking a Benadryl and applying some hydrocortisone cream and just waiting it out?

I too rush to greet the hatman upon every minor injury

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Maroon Hawk posted:

as someone that’s admittedly less militant about masks than the rest of this thread, I will still never, ever, ever understand why medical facilities ever dropped their mask mandates

that’s, like, the most likely place that someone there will be sick!!! and not even necessarily with COVID, just with…well, anything!!!

Yep, and you can't just "stay home" if you need a doctor / dentist / hospital. It's essentially a policy of forced infection, and therefore forced Long COVID / PASC and death for a lot of people. It's horrific.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah it's fine I'm fine lol I was just making a not very humorous observation about taking great care with hygiene

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

as someone that’s admittedly less militant about masks than the rest of this thread, I will still never, ever, ever understand why medical facilities ever dropped their mask mandates

that’s, like, the most likely place that someone there will be sick!!! and not even necessarily with COVID, just with…well, anything!!!

it just begs questions people cant be allowed to ask like "hey if this is a big enough deal to try to prevent spread here then what about..."

and then people might eventually start asking dangerous and expensive questions like "why dont we mandate upper room uv or filtration standards for all buildings?"

it's a totalizing system, so those questions have to be punched down on so hard that you aren't allowed to ask why no one is wearing masks inside an infectious disease ward anymore because wondering about that has been officially classified as an anxiety disorder

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We couldn't possibly mandate businesses and schools and government buildings etc install better air systems.

Absolutely not.

The deaths and disablements must continue.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

silicone thrills posted:

We couldn't possibly mandate businesses and schools and government buildings etc install better air systems.

Absolutely not.

The deaths and disablements must continue.

Why, of course we haven't done exactly this on a massive scale within living memory, how Absurd!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That would cost money, we're here to make money (off the backs of the dead and disabled)

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

toggle posted:

studies have said that wearing masks CAN BE DANGEROUS

i just returned home from another flight and was stuffing pretzel sticks into my feeding hole/sip mask valve the entire flight. this is a game changer for aeroplane safety and feeding tbh. such freedom, it’s incredible lmao

arent you like definitely getting salt/crumbs all over the valve/mask idk sounds less than ideal

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This entire COVID thing is less than ideal if you ask me.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

tangy yet delightful posted:

This entire COVID thing is less than ideal if you ask me.

Martha Stewart tried to sell me covid vaccines over the grocery store radio today. the efficiencies of the marketplace!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
got covid for the first time in October and two of my friends just got through it.
one is 25 and was in great shape and now gets winded after 5 minutes of moderate exercise. he'll yeah

toggle posted:

stuffing pretzel sticks into my feeding hole/sip mask valve the entire flight

just got a new thread title so let's keep this one in our back pocket

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Unsurprising results, considering what we already know to be happening. But the reason why is interesting enough and should be considered next time we see heavily mutated variants spreading; particularly when that spread hinges on ACE2 binding.
"Fast evolution of SARS-CoV-2 BA.2·86 to JN.1 under heavy immune pressure"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(23)00744-2/fulltext posted:

The SARS-CoV-2 saltation variant BA.2.86, which was quickly designated as a variant under monitoring after its emergence, has garnered global attention. Although BA.2.86 did not show substantial humoral immune escape and growth advantage compared with current dominant variants, such as EG.5.1 and HK.3, it showed remarkably high ACE2 binding affinity. This increased binding affinity, coupled with its distinct antigenicity, could enable BA.2.86 to accumulate immune-evasive mutations during low-level populational transmission, akin to the previous evolution from BA.2.75 to CH.1.1 and XBB. With just one additional receptor binding domain mutation (L455S) compared to its predecessor BA.2.86, the JN.1 variant rapidly became predominant in France (figure A; appendix 1 p 12), surpassing both BA.2.86 and the so-called FLip (L455F+F456L) strains. A thorough investigation into the immune evasion capability of JN.1, particularly given its few additional mutations, is imperative.

(A) Sequence percentages of prevalent variants in France since August, 2023, including JN.1, BA.2·86 (the original BA.2.86 and its subvariants, except JN.1), HV.1, FLip+A475V, and HK.3. The growth advantages relative to HK.3 in past two months of these strains are denoted in the legend within parentheses. Data are collected from covSPECTRUM. (B) The 50% neutralising titer (NT50) of convalescent plasma against SARS-CoV-2 variants measured in individuals who received three CoronaVac doses and had breakthrough infection with BA.5 or BF.7 followed by XBB reinfection (n=54). Labels for geometric mean titers (GMT) are located above each group, with the fold changes and statistical significances indicated above the GMT labels. Below the dashed line are labels specifying the numbers of negative samples which are related to the limit of detection (NT50=20). Two-tailed Wilcoxon signed-rank tests of paired samples were used. *p<0·05, **p<0·01, ***p<0·001, and ****p<0·0001. (C) The human ACE2 (angiotensin-converting enzyme 2) binding affinities of HK.3 (XBB.1.5+L455F+F456L), BA.2.86, HV.1 (XBB.1.5+L452R+F456L), EG.5 (XBB.1.5+F456L), JD.1.1 (XBB.1.5+L455F+F456L+A475V), and JN.1 (BA.2.86+L455S) receptor binding domain determined by surface plasmon resonance sensorgrams. KD values (nM) are displayed above the bars, and all replicates are represented as points. (D) Class 1 Nabs resistance against pseudovirus of XBB.1.5, EG.5, HV.1, HK.3, JD.1.1, BA.2.86, and JN.1 strains indicated by the IC50 values (n=8). The values and related fold changes when compared to D614G or other strains are labelled. The IC50 (μg per mL) of approved or candidate monoclonal neutralising antibody drugs targeting spike are assessed against XBB.1.5, EG.5, HV.1, HK.3, JD.1.1, BA.2.86, and JN.1 pseudovirus. IC50=50% inhibitory concentration; KD=equilibrium dissociation constant; NAbs=neutralising antibodies; nM=nanomolar
(..)
In summary, JN.1, by inheriting BA.2.86's antigenic diversity and acquisition of L455S, rapidly achieved extensive resistance across receptor binding domain class 1, 2, and 3 antibodies,1 and showed higher immune evasion compared with BA.2.86 and other resistant strains like HV.1 and JD.1·1, at the expense of reduced human ACE2 binding. This evolutionary pattern, similar to the previous transition from BA.2.75 to CH.1.1 and XBB, highlights the importance of closely monitoring strains with high human ACE2 binding affinity and distinct antigenicity, like BA.2.86 and BA.2.75, despite their unremarkable immune evasion capabilities. Such strains could survive and transmit at low levels since their antigenic difference would allow them to target distinct populations compared with dominant strains and have the potential to quickly accumulate highly immune-evasive mutations at the cost of human ACE2 binding capabilities.

Yunlong Cao's tweet thread about the results can be found here:
https://nitter.net/yunlong_cao/status/1736297746443677728

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Unsurprising results, considering what we already know to be happening. But the reason why is interesting enough and should be considered next time we see heavily mutated variants spreading; particularly when that spread hinges on ACE2 binding.
"Fast evolution of SARS-CoV-2 BA.2·86 to JN.1 under heavy immune pressure"

Yunlong Cao's tweet thread about the results can be found here:
https://nitter.net/yunlong_cao/status/1736297746443677728

Thanks for this. The immune system is way too complicated for easy answers unfortunately.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
JN.1 (& Co.) is really making a splash worldwide, here are the numbers on global sequencing 1 week apart:
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1733722142326321649#m
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1736084044280889585#m

It should be noted that due to this being the aggregate total of sequencing, some countries are much more heavily represented than others. Represented here by the last 30 days (counting back from 16 December):

Baddog
May 12, 2001

CGI Stardust posted:

Al-Aly is irritated; for some reason the Daily Mail headline (and a bunch of other UK newspapers) is framing his new study as if influenza is worse than COVID
https://twitter.com/zalaly/status/1736035115099165031

Christ, yah, getting this from an acquaintance.

"No worse than the flu now bro, long-flu is a thing too", yada yada.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:coronatoot:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/update-on-local-covid-19-situation(A) posted:

UPDATE ON LOCAL COVID-19 SITUATION
8TH DEC 2023
(..)
Cases infected by JN.1, a sublineage of BA.2.86, currently account for over 60 percent of COVID-19 cases in Singapore.
(..)

As you can tell by the following charts, the sequencing is a few weeks behind...

Source (Singapore's Ministry of Health's official tally): https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/statistics

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CGI Stardust posted:

oh, this is some premium Al-Aly and co doing another VA database analysis in quite a bit of detail. i don't think anyone posted details? although there's nothing that will be a surprise to anyone here

tl,dr: hospitalised COVID is worse than hospitalised influenza regardless of vaccination status or variant. more than 50% of the healthcare burden from hospitalised COVID and influenza is from the post-acute phase. COVID is best thought of as multisystemic, and influenza as pulmonary.

Xie, Choi, and Al-Aly (2023) - Long-term outcomes following hospital admission for COVID-19 versus seasonal influenza: a cohort study

so: VA database study, n=81280, comparing, in a group of patients hospitalised with either influenza or COVID, occurrence of each of a pre-specified set of health outcomes for a period up to 540 days (18 months) after infection (counting only presence or absence of that outcome, not number of occurrences). the data is split into acute and post-acute phases - acute is up to 30 days after infection, post-acute is 30 days up to 18 months. the cohort was split into vaccinated / unvaccinated for both influenza and COVID; COVID patients were also split into pre-delta / delta / omicron subgroups (by timing rather than PCR). comparisons were made between all influenza subgroups and all COVID subgroups.

they looked at the risks / burdens of: death, readmission, admission to intensive care, 94 health outcomes, 10 organ systems (grouping of the health outcomes), and all organ systems overall

results:
  • risk of death: HR 1.51 for COVID compared to influenza; 8.62 excess deaths per 100 for COVID cf. influenza
  • COVID has increased risk of hospital admission
  • COVID has increased risk of admission to intensive care
  • risk of 94 pre-specified individual health outcomes: COVID had greater risk in 68% (64/94) individual health outcomes, influeza had greater risk in only 6.4% (6/94)
  • organ systems: COVID had greater risk than influenza across: cardiovascular, coagulation and haematological, fatigue, gastrointenstinal, kidney, mental health, metabolic, musculoskeletal, neurological; pulmonary was a greater risk in influenza than COVID
  • cumulative rate of adverse health outcomes across all organ systems: 615.18 per 100 persons in COVID, 536.90 per 100 in flu, giving covid a 78.72 excess per 100 persons, about 14% increase
  • DALY across all organ systems: 287.43 per 100 persons in COVID, 242.66 per 100 persons in influenza, so 45.03 higher DALY per 100 in COVID than influenza, around 18% increase
COVID is pretty much worse throughout; also, these findings are consistent across vaccination status and variant group (pre-delta, delta, and omicron)

per outcome there's a breakdown of hazard ratios over time here, red is COVID giving a greater risk and blue is influenza giving a greater risk. grey is non-significant

then you have the cumulative rates and DALYs given over time

in both COVID and flu, there is a higher burden on health in the post-acute phase than the acute disease (so >50% of burden), and COVID has higher burden on health across all non-pulmonary organ systems than flu in both acute and post-acute phase:

this chart shows the cumulative rates of outcomes for each organ and all organ systems combined, splitting by acute or post-acute phases per outcome, by disease and between diseases based on rates per 100 persons

and similarly, outcomes split using their DALYs per 100 persons

they also emphasise the multisystemic nature of COVID compared to influenza

weaknesses of the study: the big ones are the cohort being fairly specific (older, white, male) and they only looked at hospitalised patients, so as always the results shouldn't really be taken as generalisable to mild disease (although imo it seems reasonable to believe COVID will still be more severe even if precise numbers differ). also there may be relevant health outcomes not being looked for.

Thank you for the great run-through of a great study :)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i was just moving some garbage cans around by some bushes yeah

and no, rat was handled with a metal shovel and then double bagged.

Rats keep themselves cleaner than humans these days.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Baddog posted:

Christ, yah, getting this from an acquaintance.

"No worse than the flu now bro, long-flu is a thing too", yada yada.

I usually respond to this with, "Ok, let's say that's true. People on average catch actual influenza twice a decade. How many times have you or loved ones been infected by COVID so far?"

It just leads to a topic change but maybe it gets some thought going.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

tuyop posted:

you need to buy a life insurance policy for your mother and tell her you’ve done so.

I’d tell her you’re going to need some help recouping her medical bills after her endless covid infections take bits and pieces of her until she’s gone and even the bones have been picked clean by the nursing homes and hospitals that neglected her to death.

oh unless the company will take care of all that when she gets sick from them and needs help! then it might be close to reasonable to take on the risk for them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chill out man

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Someone I know who's immunocompromised got infected, and they missed the recent booster too. They're in the process of trying to get Paxlovid (UK, so no t2t or anything.) Is there anything else I can recommend that would help, other than asking about Metformin? They're really worried.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yall still shocked when you go to a medical office and there are no masks? I told yall we gave up the mask hoax over a year ago lmao.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
pretty sure we gave up on masks 3 years ago

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Yall still shocked when you go to a medical office and there are no masks? I told yall we gave up the mask hoax over a year ago lmao.

I’ll have you know one out of three lab receptionists was masked on my last visit earlier this week! sure, it was a glittery cloth mask from two+ years ago, but it was covering her nose and mouth!
(seriously though, at one point the waiting room was over 60% masked with more than a few kn94s! I was actually impressed).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Asproigerosis posted:

My doctors office was still 100% masking when I went in a few weeks ago. So was my eye doctor when I went in last week. And about a month ago when I had my endo/colo.

Seattle Kaisers stay winning

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Yep, and you can't just "stay home" if you need a doctor / dentist / hospital. It's essentially a policy of forced infection, and therefore forced Long COVID / PASC and death for a lot of people. It's horrific.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
The people in the waiting room as I was leaving were primarily dick-nosing.

I'm glad I keep hand sanitizer wipes in the car.

In better news, my new humidifier and gallon jug of hypochlorous acid came in today's mail.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

“Acktually, long flu is worse than long COVID! What’s that you say? Will we restart doing any the precautions that stomped flu transmission to null? Ha ha don’t be ridiculous.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The article is awful but the subhead is gold.

loving Shaun of the Dead‐rear end journos

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

cannot be serious lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

lmao really

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
man you weren't joking about the article being trash. the comments are...not bad though, overall?

the majority seem to be aware that "just wash your hands! also it's immunity debt! and somehow, it's also all in your head!" is bullshit

dark lol at the most recent comment though

if only there was something this person could do to protect themselves

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Mola Yam posted:

man you weren't joking about the article being trash. the comments are...not bad though, overall?

the majority seem to be aware that "just wash your hands! also it's immunity debt! and somehow, it's also all in your head!" is bullshit

dark lol at the most recent comment though

if only there was something this person could do to protect themselves

Tbh I kind of disagree with this, not that I don't wish it were true but I feel like americans have always been weird about refusing to acknowledge sickness or that it spreads. I think a big part of that is our lovely work culture with respect to sick time/pto in general but even in places with good rules/benefits about this sort of thing it's like a weird badge of honor to show up to the office sick and hack at your desk/in meetings for the rest of the day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam posted:

man you weren't joking about the article being trash.

It’s a sick joke.

quote:

To some extent, it’s simple math — Covid now adds to the infectious diseases already spreading every virus season

Correct, but what is unstated is that COVID as a single term outweighs the entirety of the prior disease burden.

It is not “just another seasonal ick”. It is an infectious disease of a caliber that Westerners used to know only from the pages of history texts and National Geographic.

quote:

Unfortunately, immunity to many of the viruses that make people sick doesn’t last very long, Dr. Luis Ostrosky, chief of infectious diseases and epidemiology at UTHealth Houston and Memorial Hermann, said. That means your body has a sort of immunity debt to catch up on. “If your immunity dates back to strains that were in circulation three or four years ago, you’re needing to pay back,” Dr. Ostrosky said.

This is holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.

If such immunity is short‐lived, it doesn’t matter that half‐assed interventions existed for a time that is now two years in the past.

The Times further gaslights readers by saying essentially “it’s all in your head. You’ve always been sick for weeks on end”.

quote:

Paying closer attention to respiratory symptoms may also make it seem like we’re sick for longer, said Dr. Debra Langlois, a pediatrician at the University of Michigan Health C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. But a 2013 review of common respiratory infections in children found that the time it takes for illness to resolve has always been staggering: It can take 15 days to clear a common cold, and 25 days for a cough to go away in most cases.

Adults can also have what doctors call a post-viral cough that lasts for three weeks or more after other symptoms go away. “My own husband has had a post-viral cough for weeks,” Dr. Langlois said.

And rebounds? Learned physicians tell us that those don’t happen.

quote:

“But what’s really reassuring to us as doctors is that even if you have a day or two or a week break, that means it’s a separate virus.”

It’s funny how that doesn’t apply when talking about antiviral medicine or when counting COVID infections. You have symptoms eighty‐nine days after you last had COVID? That’s the same infection, citizen.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Frankly I think we need to see numbers before declaring covid a new super flu now that it's beyond the novel infection stage of ravaging everyone everywhere all at once. Thankfully governments have established robust, well staffed, and funded programs to do this as aftermath of the initial pandemic.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Frankly I think we need to see numbers before declaring covid a new super flu now that it's beyond the novel infection stage of ravaging everyone everywhere all at once. Thankfully governments have established robust, well staffed, and funded programs to do this as aftermath of the initial pandemic.

Everyone has covid op

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

Everyone has covid op

Literally half my team got wiped at the christmas party. The first man hast the glühwein the second has the punsch. When the first man falls the second picks up the glühwein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

Literally half my team got wiped at the christmas party. The first man hast the glühwein the second has the punsch. When the first man falls the second picks up the glühwein

o7