Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Not finding much outrage in my personal interactions unfortunately.

We don't wanna talk about that.
Both sides are doing bad things.
What about the holocaust?
That's antisemitic.
What about trump?!?!?

And even when the media is reporting on what's going on in Gaza, its bookended by "hamas's horrific attack that killed 1200".

Hard to get any conversation going without ending up at "I can't believe Hamas did/is doing this", or "you can't let things like this upset you" as if it's some inevitability, and paying attention and giving a poo poo is self harm. Gaslighting. Indifference. Weakness and wickedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

One I heard recently is "you can't let it bother you if there's nothing you can do about it". Just "not my problem" writ large.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

BRJurgis posted:

"you can't let things like this upset you" as if it's some inevitability, and paying attention and giving a poo poo is self harm

This is most of my interactions re: Palestine. At first there was a lot of outrage over Hamas and the atrocities. But as the truth came out people seemed to lose interest.

Now it's please don't talk about the news it's depressing. I don't want to think about it any longer.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://x.com/IsraelMFA/status/1736416593205231777

Here's the new footage of the new tunnel all the news orgs will be running with today. Kinda weird (not really) it took this long to find such a large tunnel so close to the border. Anything to get the dead hostages out of the cycle, I suppose.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can someone explain to me what the hell is happening in this poll in the section about the Israel-Palestine conflict?

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/HHP_Dec23_KeyResults.pdf

Even setting the insanely provocative questions aside, the numbers are so wildly inconsistent, I just don't understand how it could have been published.

80% of the 18-24 year-olds think that Israel has the right to bomb Gaza (with ~75% saying that Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualties), but at the same time 51% in the same age group say Israel should be ended and its territory given to Hamas. All the while 61% also say that Hamas' attack on Oct 7 was genocidal in nature. I suspect that the absence of options for 'I don't know' and 'other' is what makes the numbers completely uninterpretable, but who and why would choose to conduct a poll like that? Absolutely boggles the mind. Were polls by CAPS/Harris always that awful?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

That's antisemitic.
What about trump?!?!?

And even when the media is reporting on what's going on in Gaza, its bookended by "hamas's horrific attack that killed 1200".

Hard to get any conversation going without ending up at "I can't believe Hamas did/is doing this", or "you can't let things like this upset you" as if it's some inevitability, and paying attention and giving a poo poo is self harm. Gaslighting. Indifference. Weakness and wickedness.

I've found the recent hostage shootings to be a good way to make the point that Israel is just shooting everyone and everything that moves rather than targeting Hamas. They were shirtless, waving a white flag, shouting in Hebrew and they got shot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is happening in this poll in the section about the Israel-Palestine conflict?

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/HHP_Dec23_KeyResults.pdf

Even setting the insanely provocative questions aside, the numbers are so wildly inconsistent, I just don't understand how it could have been published.

80% of the 18-24 year-olds think that Israel has the right to bomb Gaza (with ~75% saying that Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualties), but at the same time 51% in the same age group say Israel should be ended and its territory given to Hamas. All the while 61% also say that Hamas' attack on Oct 7 was genocidal in nature. I suspect that the absence of options for 'I don't know' and 'other' is what makes the numbers completely uninterpretable, but who and why would choose to conduct a poll like that? Absolutely boggles the mind. Were polls by CAPS/Harris always that awful?

I don't know why you leap to 'the poll is wrong' rather than 'the public, young people in particular, regularly hold entirely incompatible beliefs in their head at the same time'.

e: the main difference with 18-24 year olds is that it's usually the first time they've personally experienced these events, so they tend towards more extreme views as opposed to older people who are on their 4th or 5th round of I/P violence and don't imagine that what the world needs is a radical solution out of left-field

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's a push poll; the phrasing of the questions is tailored to compel answers the pollgiver wants. This isnt even the first Harvard-Harris Israel push-poll.

The fact that many 18-24's still take the anti-Israel option either shows how unpopular Israel as an ethnostate has become, or that they're savvy enough to know what the poll is trying to do & dont like it.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-778367

"David Azoulai, head of the Metula Council, proposed sending all Gazans to refugee camps in Lebanon and flattening the whole Strip so it becomes an empty museum like Auschwitz."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

"David Azoulai, head of the Metula Council, proposed sending all Gazans to refugee camps in Lebanon and flattening the whole Strip so it becomes an empty museum like Auschwitz."

I can't believe this is real and not a parody. Nobody is this stupid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alchenar posted:

I don't know why you leap to 'the poll is wrong' rather than 'the public, young people in particular, regularly hold entirely incompatible beliefs in their head at the same time'.

e: the main difference with 18-24 year olds is that it's usually the first time they've personally experienced these events, so they tend towards more extreme views as opposed to older people who are on their 4th or 5th round of I/P violence and don't imagine that what the world needs is a radical solution out of left-field

The questions are poorly and pointedly formulated, and there is no data on how many people in each category declined to answer. That's more than enough to say the poll is wrong. If it was only about inconsistencies in personal beliefs, distribution would still be different, as indicated by pretty much any other recent poll on the subject.

Neurolimal posted:

It's a push poll; the phrasing of the questions is tailored to compel answers the pollgiver wants. This isnt even the first Harvard-Harris Israel push-poll.

The fact that many 18-24's still take the anti-Israel option either shows how unpopular Israel as an ethnostate has become, or that they're savvy enough to know what the poll is trying to do & dont like it.

Yeah, looking at their previous polls, they were even worse somehow.

quote:

17% of voters think it is a false story that Hamas terrorists killed 1200 Israeli civilians by shooting, raping and beheading people (ages 18-24: 32%; ages 65+: 10%).

It's literally false according to Israel, since at least 300 of the 1200 were soldiers on active duty. Just absolutely dreadful. But I can't find any articles criticising their polls, even Arabic media seem to report on them completely uncritically.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

KillHour posted:

I can't believe this is real and not a parody. Nobody is this stupid.

To paraphrase what someone posted much earlier in the thread, you can tell Israel is a country that hasn't had to explain itself to anyone for a long time.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Szarrukin posted:

Since I just looked it up on Wikipedia, Metula is a village of ~2k people located about as far away from Gaza as physically possible within Israel's current borders.

So this guy is truly disgusting and gross, but he holds no power whatsoever outside his bumfuck village practically located within Lebanon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metula

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Does anyone have a good template/letter to copy to write to my congresspeople to ask for a ceasefire?

I know it won’t happen but I don’t know what else I can possibly do. I feel morally guilty for not doing anything, given that my government is supporting Israel.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I think if you’re going through the same poo poo over and over again, you should consider that maybe a radical out of left field solution is exactly what the world needs. I think young people just tend to be less cowardly in their intellectual pursuits, and braver in expressing opinions that older people might worry about being offensive or something.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jakabite posted:

I think if you’re going through the same poo poo over and over again, you should consider that maybe a radical out of left field solution is exactly what the world needs. I think young people just tend to be less cowardly in their intellectual pursuits, and braver in expressing opinions that older people might worry about being offensive or something.

I don't think "Jews as a class are oppressors and should be treated as oppressors" (67% of 18-24 agree) is the kind of radical out of left field solution the world needs. And it's not coherent that most 18-24 year olds agreed with that statement while also agreeing that antisemitism is a growing problem (66%), prevalent on college campuses (63%).

This age group also said:

That a student who calls for genociding the Jews should be free to do so (53%) but it constitutes harassment (71%} and university presidents who defend it should resign (73%).

That Israel is trying to avoid civilian casualties (70%) AND committing genocide (60%).

That Hamas wants to commit genocide against the Jews in Israel (58%), uses human shields to hide from justice (62%), is primarily responsible for putting the people of Gaza in harm's way (54%), and should be removed from running Gaza (58%). But also "Hamas and the Palestinians" should be given all of Israel's land (51%) - even though Israel has a right to exist (69%}.

The attacks on October 7 were genocidal (66%) but justified (60%).

And to cap it all off, this age bracket expressed a 50-50 split on whether they support Israel more or support Hamas more.

The poll is presenting people with ridiculous "when did you stop beating your wife" level dichotomies where basically every answer communicates an insane misunderstanding of the world. Young people are answering differently than older people because they're pro-Palestine but trying to dig deeper than that is bound to fail.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 17, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sucrose posted:

Does anyone have a good template/letter to copy to write to my congresspeople to ask for a ceasefire?

I know it won’t happen but I don’t know what else I can possibly do. I feel morally guilty for not doing anything, given that my government is supporting Israel.

Template letters are less persuasive than individually written letters, because template material is identified and categorized as such by Congressional correspondence software; generally speaking human phone calls are most effective. Actual congressional office responses on this issue are going to be influenced by just how much mediated pressure is occurring, so it may or may not have any effect.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 18, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The poll is presenting people with ridiculous "when did you stop beating your wife" level dichotomies where basically every answer communicates an insane misunderstanding of the world. Young people are answering differently than older people because they're pro-Palestine but trying to dig deeper than that is bound to fail.

Similarly it's impossible to meaningfully answer the question "Does Israel have a right to exist?" Without having an answer to the broader philosophical question of "Does every country have a right to exist?" It's the kind of question where the more you know the more you have to admit you don't know.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I wasn’t commenting on any particular answer to the poll, more that it’s asinine liberal nonsense to look at a seemingly intractable conflict and going ‘let’s just keep doing what we’re doing’.

Thankfully Israel continues to prove its right to exist by not being a maniacal Nazi state, so that’s good.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

BRJurgis posted:

That's antisemitic.
What about trump?!?!?

Entitled ignorance

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

BRJurgis posted:

That's antisemitic.
What about trump?!?!?

I think some of that is bad news fatigue. Even the Ukrainian war which seemed to be a foreign conflict more people gave a drat about has become something people just shrug about now.
For a lot of people the I/P conflict has kicked off multiple times in their life time.

quote:

paying attention and giving a poo poo is self harm

Well it can be. I take regular breaks from all news for my mental health sometimes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 18, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sucrose posted:

This is exactly what ChatGPT is for

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

I used this as a template. Wrote it myself, but used it for structure and key facts (I think the numbers of Gazan deaths are very outdated at this point though).

https://www.amnesty.org/en/petition/demand-a-ceasefire-by-all-parties-to-end-civilian-suffering/

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

This is exactly what ChatGPT is for

Horrible idea.

Not only are there letters written by humans (more thoughtfully composed + more responsive to incoming news about the horrors), there are also tools that enable you to send them out to all your representatives automatically.

https://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/resource/email-congress-support-ceasefire/

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
chatgpt is really good for making wordy as gently caress paragraphs that will make your reps' eyes glaze over

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
You’re allowed to go a few prompts deep before you copy and send

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If you want to write a letter and you live in a psycho red state, then I would suggest at least mentioning that there are a number of Christian Palestinians trapped in Gaza and the IDF’s prominent attacks on Christian churches. That might trick your representative into thinking you are a member of their actual constituency.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Humans Rights Watch says that Israeli is intentionally starving civilians in Gaza, which should not be a surprise to people paying attention

Starvation Used as Weapon of War in Gaza

quote:

Since Hamas-led fighters attacked Israel on October 7, 2023, high-ranking Israeli officials, including Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, and Energy Minister Israel Katz have made public statements expressing their aim to deprive civilians in Gaza of food, water and fuel – statements reflecting a policy being carried out by Israeli forces. Other Israeli officials have publicly stated that humanitarian aid to Gaza would be conditioned either on the release of hostages unlawfully held by Hamas or Hamas’ destruction.

“For over two months, Israel has been depriving Gaza's population of food and water, a policy spurred on or endorsed by high-ranking Israeli officials and reflecting an intent to starve civilians as a method of warfare,” said Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine director at Human Rights Watch. “World leaders should be speaking out against this abhorrent war crime, which has devastating effects on Gaza’s population.”

On November 17, the WFP warned of the “immediate possibility” of starvation, highlighting that supplies of food and water were practically non-existent. On December 3, it reported a “high risk of famine,” indicating that Gaza’s food system was on the brink of collapse. And on December 6, it declared that 48 percent of households in northern Gaza and 38 percent of displaced people in southern Gaza had experienced “severe levels of hunger.”

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

That's antisemitic.
What about trump?!?!?

I’m not sure what the background of people you are talking to but Arabs / Muslims in America are a mix of pissed off and fearful.

The protesters also had a major impact on the US willingness to, at least rhetorically, support Israel carte blanche in my opinion. It is more about finding people who care than getting your friends / family / etc. to care

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/19/world/middleeast/israel-oct-7-left-wing-peace.html

This isn't exactly news, but the Israeli electorate appears to be shifting even further to the right.

quote:

According to polls conducted in the two months since Oct. 7, Israelis have moved decidedly to the right on a number of political issues, including support for settlers in the West Bank, endorsements for far-right politicians, and even the re-establishment of a military occupation of Gaza.

[...]

In another poll, Israel’s Tel Aviv University found in November the share of Israelis in favor of a two-state solution was down from just a month earlier, falling below one third of respondents.

[...]

Left-wing parties in Israel have seen a steady decline over the past 20 years. In Israel’s last election cycle, the center-left Labor Party won only four seats in the Knesset, Israel’s Parliament, a significant decrease from the 19 seats it held in 2015. The Meretz Party, one of the few left-wing Israeli parties to have held a seat in the past decade, failed to get enough votes to qualify in the last election.

Last week, the head of the Labor Party, Merav Michaeli, announced that she was stepping down amid criticism that she was responsible for the party’s poor poll numbers.

“Nobody in this country wants to talk about peace right now,” Ms. Schneider said. “Being a leftist has become a dirty word,” she said, adding that while socially progressive causes, like government-backed welfare, remain popular in Israel, they are increasingly divorced from Israel’s left-wing movements. “Many Israelis want more government welfare programs, but a conservative political leadership.”

Polls conducted in Israel since Oct. 7 show the extent of the political shift. A survey by Israel’s Channel 12, one of the country’s most popular broadcasters, found that roughly one third of Israelis described themselves as “moving to the right” in the month after the Oct. 7 attacks, while far fewer reported that their politics had shifted more to the left

If the war has accelerated the left’s decline, it has also hurt Mr. Netanyahu’s popularity.

For months before the war, the prime minister held together an unruly coalition of far-right parties that controlled 64 seats in Israel’s 120-seat Knesset. Recently, vigils for slain Israelis have turned into protests over Mr. Netanyahu’s leadership and calls for him to resign.

“The country has lurched to the right, but they no longer want Netanyahu as the leader of the right,” Ms. Schneider said. “It is a question of who can represent the new right-wing views held by so many Israelis today.”

There are also some pretty sad anecdotes near the end, but I know this subforum has an overall derisive view of that kind of reporting so I just wanted to call attention to the polling.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 19, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/19/world/middleeast/israel-oct-7-left-wing-peace.html

This isn't exactly news, but the Israeli electorate appears to be shifting even further to the right.

There are also some pretty sad anecdotes near the end, but I know this subforum has an overall derisive view of that kind of reporting so I just wanted to call attention to the polling.

The Jerusalem Post article they site doesn't seem to link the actual report and I couldn't find it. It kind of goes against what election polls show, i.e. the growing support for Gantz's centre-right party (which is to the left of Netanyahu's Likud).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Israeli_legislative_election#Polling_graph

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Eh, Gantz's party is negligibly more to the left and probably only because they're willing to form a coalition that includes left-wing or Arab parties.

https://m.maariv.co.il/news/politics/Article-1060783

This poll (Hebrew, sorry) shows that if Bennett, who is probably more right wing than Bibi gets most of Gantz's gains if he decides to run. It also shows Otzma Yehudit, the Jewish supremacy unabashedly pro-genocide party pretty much doubles its support to 8 seats.

More anecdotally, speaking with Israeli friends and reading bits of Israeli media and Israeli media review (if you can read Hebrew - https://www.the7eye.org.il/) there is a clear shift towards the right, outright facism, insane militarism and blind patriotism.
The media sans Haaretz from what I've seen have willingly turned into uncritical IDF propoganda machines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/navystrang/status/1737123337644675231?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

The Houthis actually shut down the Suez Canal. Goddamn.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kiminewt posted:

Eh, Gantz's party is negligibly more to the left and probably only because they're willing to form a coalition that includes left-wing or Arab parties.

https://m.maariv.co.il/news/politics/Article-1060783

This poll (Hebrew, sorry) shows that if Bennett, who is probably more right wing than Bibi gets most of Gantz's gains if he decides to run. It also shows Otzma Yehudit, the Jewish supremacy unabashedly pro-genocide party pretty much doubles its support to 8 seats.

More anecdotally, speaking with Israeli friends and reading bits of Israeli media and Israeli media review (if you can read Hebrew - https://www.the7eye.org.il/) there is a clear shift towards the right, outright facism, insane militarism and blind patriotism.
The media sans Haaretz from what I've seen have willingly turned into uncritical IDF propoganda machines.

I see. So I guess people just don't see Gantz as meaningfully more to the left in terms of the shift in their preference. I know that he prefers not to rock the boat right now with any political statements, so the confusion is understandable. Is there really a chance of Bennett coming back or anyone of the same calibre trying to occupy that niche?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kiminewt posted:

Moreover, the thrust of the original article seems to be that politics in general are shifting hard right, so National Unity of today is probably not left of Likud three months ago.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The political picture in Israel is shifting basically to "right wing, just not Netanyahu". Benny Gantz, who is leading in all the polls since the war, is seen as right-wing, his former partner Yair Lapid is more of a centrist, and support for his party has plummeted in the polls the past month.

From the latest poll (Channel 12 yesterday, don't know if it's in English anywhere yet) Likud has collapsed to 13 mandates (they currently have 32). Yair Lapid's Yesh Atid has 15, and Gantz's National Union has 37. Interestingly, far-right Bezalel Smotrich's Religious Zionist party also dropped below the threshold of 4 seats; his support seems to have gone to even-more-fascist Itamar Ben Gvir's Otzma Yehudit, which polls at 8 seats. Some consolidation behind the most extreme voice there.

Full results:
National Union (right/centrist) Gantz): 37
Yesh Atid (centrist, Lapid): 15
Likud (Netanyahu, right-wing): 13
Shas (Mizrahi ultra-Orthodox): 11
Yisrael Beitenu (Liberman, right-wing): 9
Otzma Yehudit (Ben Gvir, fascist): 8
United Torah Judaism (ultra-Orthodox): 7
Hadash-Ta'al (Arab, left-wing): 5
Meretz (left-wing): 5
Ra'am (Arab, Islamist): 5
Labor (left-wing): OUT
Religious Zionism (ultra right-wing): OUT
Balad (Arab, nationalist): OUT

Essentially impossible for any coalition to form without Gantz. This is also why elections will be put off as long as possible, most current MKs would lose their seats.

In other grimmer news, actual no-poo poo Kahanists are giving concerts for the IDF. Really tells you where things are headed. (For those unfamiliar with Kahane/Kahanism, he advocated ethnic cleansing of all Palestinians and a theocracy within Israel, "Kahane was right" in Israel has been for a long time a slogan that's a very slightly veiled way of saying "Kill/expel the Palestinians".)

https://x.com/YehudaShaul/status/1737112319736623537

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 19, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I see. So I guess people just don't see Gantz as meaningfully more to the left in terms of the shift in their preference. I know that he prefers not to rock the boat right now with any political statements, so the confusion is understandable. Is there really a chance of Bennett coming back or anyone of the same calibre trying to occupy that niche?

Another factor here is that the rightward shift is in large part driven by people who were to the left of Gantz moving toward Gantz, at least as much as people who were already to the right of Gantz moving farther away from him.

For example, October 7 drastically reduced Israeli sentiment toward a two-state solution ("They don't even have a state and this is what they did, imagine what they would do if they did have a state.") But Gantz was already to the right of a two state solution (he talks about "two entities" but refuses to say "two states").

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 19, 2023

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is inevitable given the policies in place and the self selection that impacts the demographics of Israel. When you give free money to religious extremists who can then have as many kids as they want you are on a downward slope to economic collapse. That isn't going to change, only get worse, with the threat of ethnic cleansing, genocide, and regional war growing. Those same extremists want all the land from the border of Iran down through Egypt and up through Syria. I could see Israel at some point going for a land grab to distract from economic woes and also to garner support from the extremists who want all that land. The use of nuclear weapons, or the implicit threat being used to limit any response from the countries in the region.

I don't think Israel will ever use their nuclear weapons in a cavalier manner, but the threat is always present.

I do wonder at what point the USA finally sees Israel as a spent tool and abandons them. Maybe once Saudi Arabia has run dry of oil and the West has other resources to exploit outside the region.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Paladinus posted:

I don't think Bennett will come back, but there could be someone trying to occupy that niche, who knows. The elections are probably far off because as people said here, all the people in power would like to prolong this as much as possible so it's too early to even speculate.

Then again, I assume /some/ heads will cool after a while. But the Israeli left currently being Meretz at five seats should tell you what to expect.

The Maariv poll also asked about a combined Meretz-Labour party headed by ex-Meretz now-considered military guy "hero" Yair Golan (when he heard about the Hamas incursions he went in his personal car to where the rave was and tried to get people out of there). That theoretical party got 9 seats.

Sadly, anyone looking for a ray of light coming from the Israeli populace in the next.. ever, I suspect, will be disappointed.

EDIT: Also incidentally almost every person I talk to from Israel asks me if I'm okay with all the antisemitism going on (I live in France), so I feel like they're really hammering the point over there that anywhere other than Israel isn't safe for Jews. Not discounting the rise in antisemitism but they were talking like people are getting beaten in the streets.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Bennett has been giving interviews and raising his profile, so it's possible. Another possibility is the ex-head of Mossad, Yossi Cohen, who is also making noises about running and is seen as "Likud, but not Netanyahu". In polling both theoretical parties do around 13-15 seats or so, mostly taking support from National Union and Yesh Atid.

As mentioned Yair Golan is another potential player; he's a retired general who's a left-leaning centrist (on the record as supporting the two state solution, for example, which is rare in Israel), who has a really big mouth and is an awful politician but scored a lot of points for personally rescuing people on 10/7. Unfortunately, his polling at around 9 seats (which would be the combined total for Meretz and Labor if Labor breaks the threshold) indicates a very hard ceiling for anything to the left of Gantz currently.