Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Any recommendations for work boots? The only real requirements are that they be nonslip and not super heavy. I work in an airplane hangar and on the ramp every day and my normal work shoes are really not cut out for colder weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Keen. They're my daily wear after trying or a lot of different brands of shoes and boots. I've been in them for 12 hour workdays in the past and put in 5~15 miles daily. Walmart boots would normally last me under 100 days before literally coming apart, the keens last multiple years

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Anyone know where I can get something cheap, that somebody else will buy from me for a lot of money? Not sure this will work, but thinking if I can do that enough times I won't have to work anymore.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Olewithmilk posted:

Anyone know where I can get something cheap, that somebody else will buy from me for a lot of money? Not sure this will work, but thinking if I can do that enough times I won't have to work anymore.

My friend have you tried lsd?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lol true

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bicycle light recs?

Also, is there a dedicated thread for bike-related gear I should try instead?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Brother Tadger posted:

Bicycle light recs?

Cygolites are my go to. They make a lot of different styles and which one is right for you depends on your needs and budget, but I have yet to come across a bad product from them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

I don't think there's a specific gear thread but you could probably just post in the bike megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899
(there are several bike threads in the great outdoors)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Bike thread was just talking headlamps a few days ago, I’m sure you can find it looking for the word lumens.

Edit: other bike thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933970&pagenumber=85&perpage=40&highlight=Lumens#post535603091

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Nov 8, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor arm? I have two monitors on my desk being held up by books and boxes and I'd like to have a less cluttered workspace.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor arm? I have two monitors on my desk being held up by books and boxes and I'd like to have a less cluttered workspace.

I got this one from Amazon a few years ago and I’ve been surprised at the longevity. However, my desk top isn’t very heavy so it does vibrate if I’m not careful. I think I’ll mount it to a wall thing next time.

HUANUO Dual Monitor Stand -... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0855ZBPXD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got into Amazon Vine, which has really opened my eyes to how much weird poo poo is on Amazon. I ignore 500 options then get one "backpacking chair" that weights 8 lbs. It's bizarre.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

Supposedly the AmazonBasics line of monitor mounts is rebranded (some good brand). I have one of their dual monitor mounts...well gently caress it's not available anymore https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIBN71I

So I guess I'm just bragging about my great monitor mount now. Hope this helps.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tangy yet delightful posted:

Supposedly the AmazonBasics line of monitor mounts is rebranded (some good brand). I have one of their dual monitor mounts...well gently caress it's not available anymore https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIBN71I

So I guess I'm just bragging about my great monitor mount now. Hope this helps.

Wasn’t it Monoprice?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Glottis posted:

I got into Amazon Vine, which has really opened my eyes to how much weird poo poo is on Amazon. I ignore 500 options then get one "backpacking chair" that weights 8 lbs. It's bizarre.

Welcome, you now have access to all the strangest poo poo from Shenzhen. Occasionally you'll get a TV or something though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snowy posted:

Wasn’t it Monoprice?

Ergotron I thought?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I'm looking to get a good vacuum on Amazon but it's hard to tell what's actually good vs what has paid reviews on it. The space it needs to clean isn't that huge (two tiny studio apartments, one has a lovely thin carpet with faux tile and the other is just faux tile) and I'd prefer bagless, the lighter to handle the better. Trying not to go over $100 because I'm broke as hell :sweatdrop: most of what I'm having to deal with is cat hair and litter debris

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

For such a small space, get a cordless one. I got a Dyson on mega-sale at the start of covid though so I'm no use for brand recs.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I'm looking for a laptop-ish to mainly use for documents/browsing. I also like to use a keyboard but I don't want a tablet or a full on heavy laptop. Preferably no more than $350?

This makes me sound old. My desktop is outdated and I'm tired of using my phone to navigate documents.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Duvel posted:

I'm looking for a laptop-ish to mainly use for documents/browsing. I also like to use a keyboard but I don't want a tablet or a full on heavy laptop. Preferably no more than $350?

This makes me sound old. My desktop is outdated and I'm tired of using my phone to navigate documents.
Anything sub-$600 you're going to want a Chromebook. There's a dedicated Chromebook thread that might give you better advice than this one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking for some decent USB-C hubs (by which I mean plug in via USB C, but don't HAVE to have any USB-C ports themselves)* with long cords. It seems all the ones I'm finding only have short (like...6" or less) USB-C cords on them. I need about 6'. I also haven't had much luck in finding what I think is a reliable USB-C hub with a detachable cable, either.

It only needs USB A ports. I don't need a full dock with it's own power supply and other ports like display or network. I don't even need any USB-C ports on the hub, just a min. of 4 USB A ports (though a USB C port would be nice since plenty of the people would like them to charge their phone or something.)

For background, this is going into an office environment. A department here at my work has fancy desks with variable height, and long story short, they got new desktops that they want to keep on the floor (I don't like this because of the dust and potential to get kicked/knocked over, but they're huge and take up too much desk space) and it's going to be a PITA getting all the cables long enough and routed properly to not be spaghetti, so I'm trying to reduce the total amount of cables that have to get routed across the underside of the desk, and down the leg to the desktop. The desks go up to about 4' high at the tallest ( though I think only one guy here has it that tall, but plenty of them keep them at a reg. standing desk height of ~36 inches) and the desktops are going all the way to one side, near one of the desk legs, so we also got to add like 2 feet of horizonal distance.

If I have to, I will just get 4 , 6' USB-A extenders per desktop that I can use to extend the cables of the keyboards, mice, webcams, etc... but I'd rather route just one cable down, not 4.

*I guess potentially just a 3.0 USB A hub could work? I'm just wondering if that can carry the full data of a webcam and headset along with the lesser-draw items of KB and mouse ( though the keyboards are Bloomberg terminal keyboards that do use a smidge more power than regular ones, but I don't think enough more that it matters.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would just run a 3.0 USB-A hub with external power, yeah. I have a bunch of USB-C docks without captive cables, from Amazon and AliExpress, and they also work OK for what I’m doing with them, but you don’t need a dock.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

*I guess potentially just a 3.0 USB A hub could work? I'm just wondering if that can carry the full data of a webcam and headset along with the lesser-draw items of KB and mouse ( though the keyboards are Bloomberg terminal keyboards that do use a smidge more power than regular ones, but I don't think enough more that it matters.)

https://www.anker.com/products/a7505?variant=37437048029334

That one says it can do 5Gbps which is definitely enough for 1080p video + audio + input devices. I’m fairly sure that it’s enough for 4k, too (but maybe buy and try one before ordering one for every desk).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, gang! I need a good thermos I can take with me to the library and stuff so I can drink my coffee while reading my Manga Guide to Databases. Have you thermos recommendations?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

First ask your family group, people often get a thermos mug from work or whatever and no product is as good as free.
On the same token you can often find those new in box in donation/ second hand places.

My final recommendation of course is to ditch manga for a better form of art. Like professional farting.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is there a type of wood I should be looking for in furniture if I don't want bottom of the barrel Amazon stuff? Not looking for crazy expensive, but maybe Ikea or better quality?

Also this is for a cat litter box enclosure. Something like this but not $700. I am skeptical about quality on a lot of the ~$100 options.
https://www.tuftandpaw.com/collections/all/products/rifiuti-litterbox

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey, gang! I need a good thermos I can take with me to the library and stuff so I can drink my coffee while reading my Manga Guide to Databases. Have you thermos recommendations?

I would use a Contigo Autoseal for this. I had one I used for years every day at work and when the spring wore out on the button to open/close it the company replaced the whole top under warranty.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would use a Contigo Autoseal for this. I had one I used for years every day at work and when the spring wore out on the button to open/close it the company replaced the whole top under warranty.

Seconding the Autoseal.

I’ve got an older Contigo West Bend with the Autoseal top.

The only downside is that hot liquids can build up a little pressure, so you may find that when you press the button to unlock the seal and drink from it, it spits a few flecks of hot liquid out the mouth hole.

Just squeeze the button away from your face before drinking.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Contigos are good, I prefer Stanley because I prefer the external finish and it being dishwasher safe (which some of the contigos are). But they’re both good and entirely a matter of personal preference. I like the push button sip thing, makes it more spill proof for my toddler-like coordination.

Wirecutter has a decent rundown of travel mugs, if you google it. Their top pick was a Zorushi with a pop-top.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've never had a Stanley, though I've looked into them and considered buying one.

However, I will say that I've owned multiple Contigo Autoseals and currently use a Zojirushi, and much prefer the latter. It's a little less convenient to drink from, but the Contigo autoseals all have a bunch of complicated moving parts on the inside of the lid that inevitably absorb a coffee smell. The newer autoseal design is better for cleaning, but it still got to a point (pretty quickly, too) where I could smell the coffee-imbued plastic while drinking coffee even with vigilant cleaning. There's something about the plastic used in those parts that just really gets tainted easily.

Honestly, both are great, though, and are easily better than the many other travel mugs I've owned over the years.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
While I do understand your argument from drinking cocktails out of a contigo mug that tasted a bit like coffee, it falls apart when you’re drinking coffee and it tastes a bit like coffee

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can anyone recommend a free-standing 2 monitor arm mount? I just got my own office, but the desk space I want to use is very far from a usable lip where you would normally secure a multi-arm mount.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

tribbledirigible posted:

Can anyone recommend a free-standing 2 monitor arm mount? I just got my own office, but the desk space I want to use is very far from a usable lip where you would normally secure a multi-arm mount.

Is it possible to drill some holes in the walls? I have just an Amazon Basics wall mount one and it's been very good to me. I got it because I saw that our office at the time had moved from Ergotron to Amazon Basics, and it was fine.

Otherwise I see that this might be what you're looking for?
https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Free-Standing-Articulating-STAND-V102F/dp/B074GBSXTM

I think because it's free standing it can't have the really long arms that articulate.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

LowOnCyan posted:

Is it possible to drill some holes in the walls? I have just an Amazon Basics wall mount one and it's been very good to me. I got it because I saw that our office at the time had moved from Ergotron to Amazon Basics, and it was fine.

Otherwise I see that this might be what you're looking for?
https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Free-Standing-Articulating-STAND-V102F/dp/B074GBSXTM

I think because it's free standing it can't have the really long arms that articulate.

Not really, the desk is right by a bank of windows. Also, our Facilities Mgr would tear me a new one since the walls were just repainted in July.

I might just see if I can switch things around to use the grommets. Thanks.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
What size/weight are the monitors, and are you willing/able to drill through the desk? Any truly freestanding mount is going to be huge or heavy to be able to support anything of a significant size.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

What size/weight are the monitors, and are you willing/able to drill through the desk? Any truly freestanding mount is going to be huge or heavy to be able to support anything of a significant size.

They're 27" monitors, about 2lbs each without the stand. Drilling is not an option. I'm likely going to have to get a grommet mount, as I agree with everyone saying it's going to be too heavy for a freestanding mount without the stand being obscenely heavy.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tribbledirigible posted:

This thing seems rated well enough and doesn't seem obnoxiously heavy for a free standing dual monitor stand: https://www.amazon.com/MOUNT-PRO-Dual-Monitor-Stand/dp/B08SLRF65R/

But if you are just after freeing up some desk space, have you considered getting a monitor riser? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/WESTREE-Riser-Monitor-Monitors-Computer-Multi-Purpose/dp/B09QWC568X

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad wants a motorized tie rack for Christmas. He wants one that holds at least 64 ties and presumably can be mounted to a closet rod, although the mounting may not matter as long as the product works.

All I'm finding on Amazon is some AliExpress-looking garbage with brand names I don't recognize and warnings that say the item is frequently returned.

I don't know if all motorized tie racks are just poo poo, but I also don't have a ton of gift ideas for my dad this year, so I'm hoping to make this one work.

What's a good motorized tie rack that holds 64 or more ties?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

What's a good motorized tie rack that holds 64 or more ties?

I would honestly be a little surprised if the answer isn’t “get a craftsperson to make something custom” at 64 ties and “high quality”. Like there really can’t be that much of a market…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

He......... my father has a lot of ties.

And yes, I double-checked that number with him. :ughh:

Apparently my dad typed some poo poo into google and found this specific rack that holds 64 ties, but it has a frequently returned item warning on it, so it might be utter poo poo.
http://www.amazon.com/Aniva-Motoriz...QQQAvD_BwE&th=1

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Dec 17, 2023