Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I think having piecewise damage would be way more fun in terms of building stuff to fight bigger enemies. Maybe they tried it and it didn't work out well in practice or something, it does feel a bit weird for things to just instantly get poofed out of existence. At least I figured that mechanic out pretty early so I didn't waste time building big battle machines, I tried fighting a Lynel the instant the game gave me plans for a laser cycle, and it just roared it away when I rolled up close :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A set of DLC quests set on new sky islands that unlock a new Zonai piece that provides roarproofing to whatever contraption it’s stuck to

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Akratic Method posted:

The thing that really got me about ToTK builds is that the strong enemies could just roar at them and vaporize them. Like, I’d love to sit around and dream up a tank that can fight a dragon, but it just erases constructs in a single move. So do the lynels. I think discovering that was the only time I really got mad at the game.

wait what?

booooooooooooo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

neogeo0823 posted:

What are you talking about? Defeated constructs drop small zonai charges. Those are only good for two things: recharging your power cells and throwing into the gachas for devices. Every time I find a gacha, I throw 5 small charges in, and I get like 20 device capsules out of the machine. 5 large charges literally fill up the capsule output area of the gatcha, but those are more rare, so I don't really use them much. I've never dipped below 100 small charges in my inventory, and I'm swimming in spare devices. I've never used zonaite to buy a zonai charge, and I never will.

Unneeded resource hoarding aside, this whole point is rendered moot, because the game's all about doing things your way. If you think this system is tedious and annoying, then you are free to engage with a more appealing system instead. You absolutely don't need to use autobuild for everything. Hell, the only time I ever felt a "need" to even use zonai devices was when I spent a play session just cruising along between sky islands. I spent about 27 zonaite auto-building fan gliders to get from island to island, and only used that much because the bikes would despawn after like half an hour of use or something. They're there as an option, and clever use of them can really break the game over your knee if you want to trivialize some particular situation or another.

You get Zonai charges either through buying them with zoanite (what I was talking about) or as you said, farming enemies. There’s enough construct enemies roaming around for you to organically get some charges by just playing the game yes, but as I said, any more than the basic 3ish piece stuff will quickly run you into the “Do I want to play or grind?” question. That and much of the game you won’t have the battery size to use a build that has anything complex like canons without needing to use those charges.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Do the roars eliminate all Zonai devices or just multi-device constructs? Springs are an easy method of gaining altitude to trigger bullet-time for fighting gleeoks, and I've used them before, but they keep noping away say, two springs stacked on top of each other.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
They can nope everything except treasure chests. If you use zonite to create one they will just scream at it ignoring you like the big bad wolf.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Houle posted:

They can nope everything except treasure chests. If you use zonite to create one they will just scream at it ignoring you like the big bad wolf.

And arches

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cheesus posted:

I found hover stones to be the magic ingredient for that problem.

Yeah lynels will ignore my orbital weapons platform, and I only need to lift it off the ground with ultrahand to get it high enough.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

galagazombie posted:

You get Zonai charges either through buying them with zoanite (what I was talking about) or as you said, farming enemies. There’s enough construct enemies roaming around for you to organically get some charges by just playing the game yes, but as I said, any more than the basic 3ish piece stuff will quickly run you into the “Do I want to play or grind?” question. That and much of the game you won’t have the battery size to use a build that has anything complex like canons without needing to use those charges.

Yeah, so, I have never farmed constructs, nor bought charges, ever. I have the number of charges I have by playing organically, just fighting constructs in shrines or wherever. I don't even stop to fight a lot of them, just the ones that are either in my way, or that look like they're placed in a way that makes them fun to kill. For example, I've run across a couple camps of constructs that were just on the other side of a wooden fence from some bokoblins, so I stopped to burn the fence and watch them fight each other. I actually don't really enjoy fighting constructs, just because they're incredibly basic enemies that aren't really engaging. But, I do complete every shrine I find, and I will clown on the odd construct that's sitting on a rock I wanna climb, or who's guarding a chest I wanna open.

Is that considered "farming"? That answer is defined by the person asking the question. If you consider that to be farming constructs, and you're as against the idea of farming something as you seem to be, then I've got bad news for you regarding the rest of the enemy roster in this game.

But honestly? I think you're approaching the whole thing in a weirdly antagonistic way. Your argument seems to revolve around some scenario where you want to make like, a fully functioning war mech for every combat encounter, but you've got no zonai capsules and no zonaite, and your only option is building this giant mech. It's weirdly specific, and you're just kind of ignoring the fact that you can Do The Thing via so many other means and methods. If it were me, I'd just fight the enemies with other means. My vast array of fused weapons and muddlebuds, or puffshrooms, or elemental fruits, or bomb arrows, or I'd sick my team of spirit warriors on them, or avoid the encounter entirely, or find some way to use the environment against them.

Or hell, instead of building a big flashy mech, tr to come up with a less flashy, but still deadly thing to make. That multi-laser-on-a-big-spinning-wheel thing from a while ago comes to mind. 1 wheel, 1 construct head for aiming, and however many lasers I feel like gluing onto it.

I can understand not liking something in a game. That's completely fine, and no one is saying that you must enjoy the zonai stuff. But I'm getting the impression that you're really not thinking around the root of the issue. This is like when item duping was getting patched out, and people were griping that they couldn't have 999 bear asses because at some point they might need like 15 bear asses to 4-star that completely cosmetic set of useless amiibo armor, or whatever. Go travel to some gacha machines and dump 5 small charges at a time in each. You get like 20 or so capsules per pull from that, and you'll never need more than like 10 of each item in your inventory for anything. You really should only be using zonaite via autobuild if you are genuinely out of a component, or if you're just too lazy to pull out the part. When using autobuild, try to either use zonai parts that are in the area already, because they're always scattered liberally everywhere you would think to need them, or just whip out whatever you need from your bottomless inventory of capsules.

And if that's too much of a grind for you, try any of the other myriad things you can try.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
There's always zonite parts near backpacking koroks. I farmed but did so while mapping out the underground I still only need like 9 zonite when autobuilding and that's largely for propellers from the spiral shrine and a floating rubber platform instead of a slab so my truck is all terrain.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Only thing you need for getting bullet time is a control stick. Jump on, backflip off, you get crazy air

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Only thing you need for getting bullet time is a control stick. Jump on, backflip off, you get crazy air

You can also do this with a shield that has a wing on it, the shield jump gives enough extra height to let you pop off one slowmo arrow.

Do mushroom arrows do the knockback effect or do they have to be attached to weapons?

lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/okami13_/status/1733865259994124467?s=46

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1734211709043163415

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I kinda wish I could give the spirits a 'collect' option, like I don't care if they help out in a fight but if they see a mushroom or a lizard or a bug please grab it for me

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I kinda wish I could give the spirits a 'collect' option, like I don't care if they help out in a fight but if they see a mushroom or a lizard or a bug please grab it for me

Would love to send Tulin after those sticky toed lizards. Relatedly, Is there a trick to catching them? They run away awkwardly and fall off the wall as soon as I get close and disappear almost immediately. I started shooting them with arrows because that was more reliable than hoping they'd fall in my lap before vanishing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
the answer to all critters is stealth gear

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Tender Bender posted:

Would love to send Tulin after those sticky toed lizards. Relatedly, Is there a trick to catching them? They run away awkwardly and fall off the wall as soon as I get close and disappear almost immediately. I started shooting them with arrows because that was more reliable than hoping they'd fall in my lap before vanishing.

That's basically what I do, but with electric arrows, so I don't have to be as accurate or scare the others nearby.. Only problem is when they fall into water, because then they instantly dissolve.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a list somewhere of the best/easiest/efficient recipes?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RCarr posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the best/easiest/efficient recipes?

- a single hearty truffle or radish will heal fully and give you extra hearts
- 4 of any item with special effects maxes out the effect (IIRC)
- add a golden apple or monster extract to get a critical effect (or cook during a blood moon)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The blood moon thing is always funny. The world starts to look spookily apocalyptic, but Link just goes "let's COOK!" and starts rapid-firing ingredients into the pot as fast as possible to get those bonuses

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When using Yunobo's power, is there a way to prevent rock contents from going everywhere?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When using Yunobo's power, is there a way to prevent rock contents from going everywhere?

No, but if you fuse one of those giant metal spiked balls onto the master shield it makes the best rock-breaking device in the game imo. It lasts a long, long, long time and once the shield starts to weaken, you can remove the sphere and then fix the shield with an rock octorock.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

maltesh posted:

That's basically what I do, but with electric arrows, so I don't have to be as accurate or scare the others nearby.. Only problem is when they fall into water, because then they instantly dissolve.

Yep, this is the play. You can get two or three at the same time if it's an area of the cave with wet walls, although you can sacrifice hearts instead of arrows if you just huck the shock fruits yourself.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

- 4 of any item with special effects maxes out the effect (IIRC)

It's a bit more complicated than that. Items have varying potency, and different effect types have different potency requirements for each level. For instance, even five Mighty Thistles won't give you an +Atk Upk 3 meal, but 4 Razorshrooms, or (2 Mighty Porgies + Any Atk Up ingredient) will .

I got this information from Reddit's TOTK Data Spreadsheet,

https://www.reddit.com/r/TOTK/comments/13fjhqg/tears_of_the_kingdom_data_spreadsheet/

but I assume there are probably phone apps that do this by now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No, but if you fuse one of those giant metal spiked balls onto the master shield it makes the best rock-breaking device in the game imo. It lasts a long, long, long time and once the shield starts to weaken, you can remove the sphere and then fix the shield with an rock octorock.

what's the master shield?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I thought the android app Wild Cooking (made for BotW) was goon-made, but I'm not 100% on that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The Hylian Shield, I assume they meant

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah sorry got it mixed up with Master Sword. Hylian Shield.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

mastajake posted:

I thought the android app Wild Cooking (made for BotW) was goon-made, but I'm not 100% on that.

I believe so. Noticed that it wasn't on my most recent phone, though, and can't seem to find it in the Play Store, so i'm guessing it got culled after an update?

I did find the TOTK Cooking Calculator and the BOTW Cooking Optimizer webapps upon searching, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love the one guy saying that as they were making the game he was trying to figure out how to make mechanical puppets but couldn't get it to work with the systems they had designed, then the game comes out and he sees players managing to figure it and do all the stuff he wanted to :allears:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Spanish Manlove posted:

what's the master shield?

Nothin', what's the master with you? :downsrim:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

Oh wow! I never found that in this game, didn't even realize it was there. Lol.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's exceptionally well hidden considering IIRC there's no dialogue or quest hinting at its location (unlike the champion tunic).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Finally got around to doing Water Temple - while I love the vibes (open air + languid, low-gravity environment where you can do a regular jump and activate bullet-time, etc) the puzzles felt trivially easy compared to the other 3, I guess mostly because the layout of the temple was so straightforward.

I liked the Mucktorok, he's a fun little freak.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I liked the Mucktorok, he's a fun little freak.

Nooooo

Worst thing in the game :negative:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What are your favorite endgame weapons? I'm finally getting to the end of the main quest, and I'd like to go ham on some minions and a boss. I recall a recommendation to try zora weapons with the frog armor for increase wetness duration, as well as that whole process for getting a lynel smacker with some pretty bonkers damage. Any other interesting combos of anything you guys would recommend? Pure damage is great, but I'd also love to hear about any fun combos or weird interactions you guys know about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

neogeo0823 posted:

What are your favorite endgame weapons? I'm finally getting to the end of the main quest, and I'd like to go ham on some minions and a boss. I recall a recommendation to try zora weapons with the frog armor for increase wetness duration, as well as that whole process for getting a lynel smacker with some pretty bonkers damage. Any other interesting combos of anything you guys would recommend? Pure damage is great, but I'd also love to hear about any fun combos or weird interactions you guys know about.

Fuse gibdo bones to your arrows and use a Lynel Bow for hilarious damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

That, and a Biggoron sword. Spin to win + double the durability of the next highest weapon + you can just buy it with Poes. I typically just slap a high level horn on it.

One thing I grew to appreciate at the end was dazzlefruit for arrows, less OP than shrooms and makes enemies drop their weapons too. Keese eyes of course for when you want to utterly trivialize a fight

I always kept a boomerang around with a lizfalos tail on it because while it is almost useless as a weapon, it is very very funny. Most of my shenanigans at end game were construction related