Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

Who is that in the bottom image? He looks really familiar.

Your left shift key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arivia posted:

It’s the pope, pay attention

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Actor Jonathan Pryce from Game of Thrones.

Yep, I just realized I recognize him from playing Cardinal Wolsey in Wolf Hall. Thank you.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Porfiriato posted:

Apple had a portable LCD display for the IIc in like 1987. It wasn’t backlit and the quality was pretty garbage, basically a giant version of an LCD watch/calculator screen.

https://youtu.be/5uVbKS2wJ-0

On a side note, while they may be pretty underwhelming by today’s standards I thought it was kind of dismaying that most of the videos I could find were how-tos on ripping out the guts and replacing them with a modern LCD display. I doubt too many of those were sold and they’re fairly rare these days.

Ahhh. My apologies. I replaced LCD with LED in my head because you also mentioned plasma . How could a monitor be made in the 1980s when the blue LED was not even invented yet :2monocle:

Did not know plasma was a thing before the TV but I definitely know about those orange screens.

Man, working on that screen without any blue light coming out at all must be comfortable as hell at night.

Video I used to see the plasma monitor; an IBM PS/2 P70
https://youtube.com/watch?v=G3SezAueIPo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Very impressive digital necromancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeuH0YmWkI4

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arivia posted:

Elliot Carver after falling into some bad times.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The true tech relic is caring about typing speed when every single device is about to have crazy accurate AI-assisted dictation and typing won’t be a thing except in situations where you need to be quiet and even then, everything has keyboard shortcuts and predictive text
I look forward to my own death arriving at the hands of my John Henry/Paul Bunyan-style competition against the sophisticated new technology leading to me hitting 180 error-free WPM and the voice recognition software hitting 181

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Autosuggest is garbage as is voice recognition, no voice assistant can understand commands well enough to be considered helpful to most, but surely all these FPGAs we bought for bitcoin speculation will be the magic key to making tech finally be an accessibility solution!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I mean I already have to train people at work that use the Internet all day but have never typed on anything but a touchscreen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Autosuggest is garbage as is voice recognition, no voice assistant can understand commands well enough to be considered helpful to most, but surely all these FPGAs we bought for bitcoin speculation will be the magic key to making tech finally be an accessibility solution!

Autosuggest and spellcheck on my phone is absolute garbage. I am willing to concede that typing a mix of Norwegian and English and being very lax about switching to the right keyboard layout first (unless I need a Norwegian letter) is presumably not doing me any favors.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can kind of imagine how you'd go about training a spellchecker on a mix of input languages (some sort of hidden markov model, or just "a machine learning model" if you want to be modern), and it seems just hard enough that I have some sympathy for the developers.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I can kind of imagine how you'd go about training a spellchecker on a mix of input languages (some sort of hidden markov model, or just "a machine learning model" if you want to be modern), and it seems just hard enough that I have some sympathy for the developers.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, of course.

Oh sorry I meant the person training people to use a keyboard. I guess I should learn to quote but :shrug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I just have to train them on the lovely in-house thing we use for reporting, not my problem if it takes them 10 minutes to write a three sentence email it was just jarring to see at first.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna guess a solid 80% of this thread has an account on Type Racer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I started using computers in the early 80s and still can't touch type worth a drat. It's my secret shame.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
I went to a keyboard meetup a couple years ago. One person was doing a talk speed typing and some techniques to handle random and unexpected letters.

I talked to him after about the way I type which has less of a mindset of homerow and more about positioning and rotating my hands slightly to access the letters I have to type in the near future.

To explain if I was in the middle of a sentence and I saw the word or knew I wanted to type the word "pilot", those letters in the upper right hand corner and so I would move my hand slightly right and rotate it to the letter "p" in preparation of typing that word.

The presenter said that is actually a noted technique that is very rare but very very effective if a person can do that.

I typed from the beginning with homerow then not even considering homerow (since it was much more comfortable ) after I faced off against my parents and beat them.

Then it got even worse after playing EverQuest as an enchanter and typing out full words and sentences explaining the situation to the rest of the party. I refused to use the macros you can set because it never accurately communicated what I want to pass along except for "EVAC NOW" .

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I started off using typewriters at home, but about the closest thing I have ever had to formal typing instruction was a Wizard of ID typing game on the Commodore 64.

It wasn't until years later, after working a data entry job, that I realized I was able to touch type. If I thought about it then I couldn't, but it eventually just became second nature and I became a decent typist. I'm not super fast but tend to be super accurate, so it balances out to somewhere between 60-80 wpm depending on warmed up I am.

I tend to use the home keys, but my own personal ergonomics are probably almost directly contrary to the suggested ones. I slouch, my office chairs are slammed as low as they'll go, and my keyboard/mouse level higher than what would be recommended, I think. Works for me, though - my wrists remain straight, my eyes at a comfortable level with the monitor, and I haven't had any signs of repetitive stress injuries or carpal tunnel or whatever.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In 9th grade I entered a typing contest at my school. I was a bonkers fast typist as a kid, and it was maybe the singular thing I was good at. At this competition I typed 168 words in one minute, no errors. I lost to fuckin Nick LaFonde that fucker HOW

He went on to work at some big tech firm and I became a janitor and I think this is probably the sliding doors moment.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Dec 17, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A colleague once came over to ask me a question and I turned to look at them while still typing whatever bullshit I was typing and they absolutely lost their loving mind, like it was the first time they’d ever seen someone touch typing.

I’d just assumed people who worked at a computer all day for years and years would pick it up along the way so I never bothered to look at how other people type, and now I can’t help but notice when someone is still hunt and pecking away.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As someone who cannot multithread my brain that way (I can't sing and play piano at the same time, hell I can't even listen to music while I'm coding), seeing someone talking and typing at the same time would make me start throwing holy water

e: I may have misread, but I'll let it stand

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

History Comes Inside! posted:

A colleague once came over to ask me a question and I turned to look at them while still typing whatever bullshit I was typing and they absolutely lost their loving mind, like it was the first time they’d ever seen someone touch typing.

I’d just assumed people who worked at a computer all day for years and years would pick it up along the way so I never bothered to look at how other people type, and now I can’t help but notice when someone is still hunt and pecking away.

I can touch type by just looking at the screen. He probably wasn't freaking out about that.

It was the fact you were carrying on a full rear end conversation while typing full rear end sentences while looking at them.

I cannot imagine typing while talking to someone while looking at them at the same time beyond simple questions (like "You gonna lunch?")

Need to stare at the screen to make sure words are made good :stare:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Having to look at the screen while typing isn't very useful if you're looking at source text. I guess that doesn't really matter if you're not a humanist?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I learned to touch type the same way I imagine every goon my age did - IRC chatrooms.

My daughter learned from wanting to keep up with Roblox chat.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Having to look at the screen while typing isn't very useful if you're looking at source text. I guess that doesn't really matter if you're not a humanist?

I guess I can touch type by looking at the text, but then ... I dunno, my head is in text only mode. If I have to interact with something in text only mode, it breaks down.

Edit: also I have to read the reports as I am writing since I do lots of security contracting. If they read like poo poo, it could end up badly.

We do run it through others before sending but if I can catch grammar errors while it is written it's better

EVIL Gibson has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Dec 18, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TheMadMilkman posted:

I learned to touch type the same way I imagine every goon my age did - IRC chatrooms.

MUDs and terrible netsex in my case.

I've honestly been assuming for a while that someone would make little mini touchscreen add ons for desktop keyboards so you could use Swype/swiftkey style input at desk for people more used to mobile devices.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheMadMilkman posted:

That was it for me certainly. Like anywhere from 1 to 8 hours a day on #Trax from 1992-1998 depending on whether anyone forced me to leave the house

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

That was it for me certainly. Like anywhere from 1 to 8 hours a day on #Trax from 1992-1998 depending on whether anyone forced me to leave the house

through most of my college years I was constantly on an IRC channel that spun out of the Megatokyo forums.

I didn't even like Megatokyo, or post on their forums. The people weren't really any more interesting than the people around me either, but they were on ~the internet~ and that's what mattered.

One guy had a breakdown and thought he was getting secret instructions from the CIA or whatever, so he would drive to airports and hang around the baggage carousels looking for THE DROP. I had mentioned that I was interning with the DOE so I got rolled into his paranoid fantasy, which was mildly spooky until he started trying to intimidate me by posting my address, except he wasn't even in the right state.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pham Nuwen posted:

I didn't even like Megatokyo, or post on their forums. The people weren't really any more interesting than the people around me either, but they were on ~the internet~ and that's what mattered.
This pretty much summarizes everything about being online in the 1990s. Or at least until search engines maybe.

"DUDE I found this webpage where you can download Apple II games and an emulator!"
"You know I actually still have my Apple II and all those games"
"ON. THE. INTERNET."

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Autosuggest and spellcheck on my phone is absolute garbage. I am willing to concede that typing a mix of Norwegian and English and being very lax about switching to the right keyboard layout first (unless I need a Norwegian letter) is presumably not doing me any favors.

Google actually managed to make Gboard spell check and swipe in up to 3 languages at once (at least on Android) which is really helpful because like you I am too lazy to switch keyboards.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Samsung keyboard does tolerate me mixing Norwegian and English in both layouts - it just seems to have nudged the quality of autocorrect down. It would make some sense if Google are better at machine learning tricks to improve the situation; I'll reconsider switching.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Samsung keyboard does tolerate me mixing Norwegian and English in both layouts - it just seems to have nudged the quality of autocorrect down. It would make some sense if Google are better at machine learning tricks to improve the situation; I'll reconsider switching.

Yeah I chose French, English and German as main languages (all of which I use daily) and I can use whichever layout I want (Azerty in my case). It's actually quite good at predicting once I write 2 or 3 words in one language, it gets a bit more difficult if I switch languages mid-message but it usually gets the job done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SwiftKey is the same, it works pretty well for mixing Swedish and English. The only thing it consistently gets wrong is "i" which it always wants to capitalise as the English first person reference, but in Swedish means "in" and follows normal capitalisation rules.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Collateral Damage posted:

SwiftKey is the same, it works pretty well for mixing Swedish and English. The only thing it consistently gets wrong is "i" which it always wants to capitalise as the English first person reference, but in Swedish means "in" and follows normal capitalisation rules.

Same, though I get why autocorrecting i to I is a default. It's not just phone autocorrect either, LibreOffice can be really aggressive about it even when you think you've disabled spellcheck.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What do people who communicate in like 7 languages daily do? Keep multiple keyboards?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

By popular demand posted:

What do people who communicate in like 7 languages daily do? Keep multiple keyboards?

On a cell phone in the post-physical keyboard world? Yeah

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Empirically folks tend towards communication forms they can also login to on their computers

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

On a cell phone in the post-physical keyboard world? Yeah

And even with physical keyboards there are not many actually different keyboard layouts. Just different mappings. I can easily swap between FI/SE and US layouts. And Mac vs PC layouts. Even if the physical keyboard remains the same.

It's just keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

And even with physical keyboards there are not many actually different keyboard layouts. Just different mappings. I can easily swap between FI/SE and US layouts. And Mac vs PC layouts. Even if the physical keyboard remains the same.

It's just keys.

The point I was alluding to but didn’t make is that I found folks who were working in 3+ languages to be the last of the Blackberry/physical keyboard holdovers