Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the thing i like least about 40k is how the turbo fascism is somewhat justified. heretics really are everywhere and xenos really are hostile and treacherous.

The heretics are everywhere because of the turbofascism. The Emperor was such a bad leader half of his demigod sons started worshipping the devil and theyre behind almost all the chaos cults in the Imperium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like that Janus ending and chapter 3 spoiler stuff The farseer on Janua is still pretty rude to you when you come through the portal and Yrliet will have your back and tell them off, but if you're polite to him the rescued tortured farseer will try to reciprocate and even refrains from calling you monkey.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 17, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is a bit of a chicken and the egg thing in regards to both those things because like, yeah, that is also in response to how the imperium is. but its pretty easy for that nuance to be loss and often is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

The heretics are everywhere because of the turbofascism. The Emperor was such a bad leader half of his demigod sons started worshipping the devil and theyre behind almost all the chaos cults in the Imperium

The Eldar also have worked together with humanity in peace in several locations, especially exodite Eldar. The imperium never takes kindly to it.

I think even in the somewhat sanitized heroic view of 40k as oorah space marine bolter action the cruelty and barbarism of the imperium not being necessary for humanity's survival but instead being the reason that better things aren't possible is pretty front and center. It's a bit murky when it comes to how easy and physical chaos corruption and propagation is, but a big cornerstone of the setting is thst smarter people with better ways of handling used to exist, until the Emperor killed them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 17, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Big E basically expected his sons to act absent emotion at all times and was completely blindsided whenever they did.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Buschmaki posted:

You know, with the popularity of the 30k/Horus Heresy setting, I wish there was at least a short story or something set even earlier- I've always heard the Emperor's hateboner of alien races came when the Long Night hit and all of humanity's supposed alien allies turned on the remnants, but of course there's no way to know that for sure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had the vague impression that part of why that poo poo is so easy is probably because of the cosmic psychic tension caused by the fall of the Eldar civilization as well as the specific antagonizing polarizations and the fact that the corpse-god is spraying a huge warp light into the cosmos at all times. Basically, even in your best cases, the veil is notably thinner than what you would expect.

I recall the Tau are just genetically not as attuned to the warp and literally experience reality differently from humanity, and more like what we would expect, albeit with recognition of objective physical things like Chaos spawn.

Presumably if everyone just simmered the gently caress down for a while things in the immaterium would cool off, but this might take additional millenia

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I got the improved heavy bolter on argenta and it basically takes the game over its knee and spanks it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

You know, with the popularity of the 30k/Horus Heresy setting, I wish there was at least a short story or something set even earlier- I've always heard the Emperor's hateboner of alien races came when the Long Night hit and all of humanity's supposed alien allies turned on the remnants, but of course there's no way to know that for sure.

You can watch the TV show Foundation and pretend it's Warhammer 10k, it has an immortal god emperor leading a fascist Imperium and everything :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

The Eldar also have worked together with humanity in peace in several locations, especially exodite Eldar. The imperium never takes kindly to it.

I think even in the somewhat sanitized heroic view of 40k as oorah space marine bolter action the cruelty and barbarism of the imperium not being necessary for humanity's survival but instead being the reason that better things aren't possible is pretty front and center. It's a bit murky when it comes to how easy and physical chaos corruption and propagation is, but a big cornerstone of the setting is thst smarter people with better ways of handling used to exist, until the Emperor killed them.

Yeah, don't get my rah rah shoot the Farseer attitude wrong. Just as the Eldar have generally earned the immediate bolter-to-the-face treatment, the Imperium just as generally earns the knife in the back one way or another. The Craftworld Eldar and the Imperium would in a slightly less awful universe be the main players of Team Sanity fighting against Team Rargle Blargle which is most of everybody else, but everybody's compulsive awfulness halts all of that in its tracks.

DaysBefore posted:

You should've clicked those dialogue options lol

I probably should be doing that more, yes. I recently earned the Interrogator's ire for blowing up the Kiava pre-cog cogitator that had "just about finished its computations." Seriously my dude, don't let the warpy Chaos thing finish doing its thing. Blow it the gently caress up immediately. Stopping Chaos immediately is a lesson that has been emphasized repeatedly in previous events spinning wildly out of control and my Rogue Trader is learning it. But yeah I could've let that play out a bit more... but nah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Complications posted:

I genuinely don't get my motivation here that's not purely metagame.

Ironically, your analysis is based entirely on metagaming, it's actually completely plausible for a human raised in the Imperium to be naive about the risks involved with trusting xenos, and how the gently caress is a rando outside of the Ordo Xenos going to know how much of a big deal an Eldar Maiden World is in the calculations of that faction's strategy.

You've made decisions based on metagaming with knowledge that your character most likely shouldn't be able to know and that's fine, because it's just a game.

You don't need to justify it, but everyone else is allowed to make their own reads on a situation however they feel. It's even more in character for a Rogue Trader to get in over their head and wildly underestimate the risks involved with a given action if it means potential profit, and it's also entirely in character for a Rogue Trader to take dogma as seriously as a Sororitas, because guess what? Rogue Traders are just people, and they happen to be vested with authority and powers outstripping anybody they run into out in the edges of known space barring the Inquisition itself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

or, tl;dr:

skill issue

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

pentyne posted:

Big E basically expected his sons to act absent emotion at all times and was completely blindsided whenever they did.

Or HE did !

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

also rogue traders are explicitly chartered in this case by the Emperor Himself to do whatever they want

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Inquisition can kill you but that isn't the same thing as having authority over you. Ultimately you answer to Him and Him alone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

also rogue traders are explicitly chartered in this case by the Emperor Himself to do whatever they want

Yeah it's not like you're required to take an orientation course in the perils of heresy, warp or xeno, in order to inherit a Warrant of Trade. You can be as dumb and hubristic as you want, once you get that thing you're the ultimate free agent barring someone with a big capital "I" badge rolling up and telling you you've been recruited under pain of death.

This isn't Dark Heresy, or Only War, or Deathwatch, this is Rogue Trader. Of the old Fantasy Flight 40k ttrpgs this is the only one where having an Eldar Ranger or even an Ork Freeboota is not only supported mechanically, but also considering totally valid. Especially if you're playing up the Rich, Greedy, and Stupid angle to the hilt.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 17, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

pentyne posted:

*looks at Angron*

"Eh, I'm sure it'll be fine."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

The original Warrants of Trade yes, but in the 10k years since then there's a lot of them handed out for various other reasons. One of the more popular reasons is the High Lords wanting to get rid of a troublesome yet powerful adversary, just give them a blank check and saying "gently caress off to the other side of the galaxy"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

good thing our character has an original one

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CommissarMega posted:

The Emperor wasn't completely against friendly relations with non-humans, but any aggression would be met with full force. The Crusade even had a peaceful negotiation (and banquet) with a multi-species civilization that went really well, until Chaos worshippers stole a deadly weapon from them and caused them to attack the Imperium's troops in retaliation.

Every meeting with a new civilization began with diplomacy, they just didn't all end with diplomacy. It's only after the Heresy, the loss of every Primarch, and the rise of the Imperial Cult that aliens and mutants really became "purge first, ask questions never".

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Schubalts posted:

The Emperor wasn't completely against friendly relations with non-humans, but any aggression would be met with full force. The Crusade even had a peaceful negotiation (and banquet) with a multi-species civilization that went really well, until Chaos worshippers stole a deadly weapon from them and caused them to attack the Imperium's troops in retaliation.

Every meeting with a new civilization began with diplomacy, they just didn't all end with diplomacy. It's only after the Heresy, the loss of every Primarch, and the rise of the Imperial Cult that aliens and mutants really became "purge first, ask questions never".

that peaceful meeting was horus, before the heel turn

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Runa posted:

Yeah it's not like you're required to take an orientation course in the perils of heresy, warp or xeno, in order to inherit a Warrant of Trade. You can be as dumb and hubristic as you want, once you get that thing you're the ultimate free agent barring someone with a big capital "I" badge rolling up and telling you you've been recruited under pain of death.

You are totally free to kill that Inquisitor if you are a big enough badass to get away with the reprisal the rest of the Inquisition would want to drop on you. Or if they are just an unpopular Inquisitor. The Inquisition has no authority over you. Well the Ordo Malleus might, the Malleus Remit is one of the few things handed down by the Emperor that gives unilateral authority over any Imperial citizen. As far as Xavier goes, for instance, he doesn't invoke it so you are within your rights to tell him to gently caress off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mulva posted:

You are totally free to kill that Inquisitor if you are a big enough badass to get away with the reprisal the rest of the Inquisition would want to drop on you. Or if they are just an unpopular Inquisitor. The Inquisition has no authority over you. Well the Ordo Malleus might, the Malleus Remit is one of the few things handed down by the Emperor that gives unilateral authority over any Imperial citizen. As far as Xavier goes, for instance, he doesn't invoke it so you are within your rights to tell him to gently caress off.

Yeah that's true.

It's really a matter of what you think you can get away with, and if you think you can't, how well you think you can fight back the consequences.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

pentyne posted:

Not really, he's objectively worse then every other companion and he gets stuck in terrain because of his size.

my favourite part about using skills like charge or blitz with him is it doesn't show you which how his 4x4 space lays out, if you pick wrong and his 4x4 is laid over an enemy or a piece of terrain, he gets very upset you've called him fat and goes walkabout.

Mulva posted:

As Heinrix so helpfully points out, you the rogue trader can tell the inquisition to gently caress off, but your subordinates can't.

Runa posted:

Yeah that's true.

It's really a matter of what you think you can get away with, and if you think you can't, how well you think you can fight back the consequences.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
In the Koronus Expanse, you speak with the God-Emperor’s voice, not the inquisitor. The inquisitor, however, fucks with the God-Emperor’s dick. It becomes a question, then: is His penis mightier than His word?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Hotfix for a Chapter 4 cut scenes not firing bug just dropped.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Runa posted:

This isn't Dark Heresy, or Only War, or Deathwatch, this is Rogue Trader. Of the old Fantasy Flight 40k ttrpgs this is the only one where having an Eldar Ranger or even an Ork Freeboota is not only supported mechanically, but also considering totally valid. Especially if you're playing up the Rich, Greedy, and Stupid angle to the hilt.

I was really hoping the Mercenaries you can hire could be Orks or whatever. The Last Stand mode of DOW2 is the only WH40k game I can think of where you can have all different races working together and it was cool as hell. Hopefully someone mods in some xenos Mercs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Maybe in three years, season pass 2 will add some kroot and orks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Hotfix for a Chapter 4 cut scenes not firing bug just dropped.

quote:

Lord Captains!

We've released a critical hotfix 1.0.70 on PC, that will repair the cases of cutscenes not starting at the beginning of Act IV for Dogmatic and Iconoclast players. Mac should receive the same fix within ~24 hours.

A separate fix for Heretical players is in the works, we will deploy it as soon as it is ready.

They must be furiously working on Act 4 and 5 at this point, trying to outpace the average gamer before they get to those Acts.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

turn off the TV posted:

is this game super easy at the start compared to later chapters?

I've only played on daring. Act one was a fun puzzle but required zero reloads and never had a risk of failure. The boss died in a single round.

The second fight in act 2 had my main damage dealer one-shot because I was getting complacent and was playing poorly. It was completelyavoidablein hindsight. I was still able to win but it was noticeably more challenging and less forgiving than anything I previously dealt with.

I've heard a lot of complaints about later acts being even harder, so this might be one of the few RPGs that gets the difficulty curve right. Other Owlcat games were similar in this regard, which is part of why I like them so much. Character building and tactical decisions actually matter, unlike most RPGs.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

They must be furiously working on Act 4 and 5 at this point, trying to outpace the average gamer before they get to those Acts.

Jokes on them I'm unemployed mwahaha I've already seen your broken rear end lategame (and loved it)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

I got the improved heavy bolter on argenta and it basically takes the game over its knee and spanks it.

doesnt it take a crazy amount of faction rep?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Snooze Cruise posted:

Maybe in three years, season pass 2 will add some kroot and orks

Passes, DLC, mods - I will not put this game to rest until I've hosed an ork.
Well, to be absolutely specific, until an ork has hosed me.

It's all in your hands, Owlcat. You can profit from it, or you don't want to. Choose wisely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, I give up. At best, I'll get a sympathetic refund from Steam. At worst I'm sticking the game in the drawer for a few months. The final straw was Ulfar telling me we need to find his pack before setting off to what appears to be the final mission. After we've already left the main game area to the point of no return. And there's literally nothing else I can explore in the chapter 5 area.

It leaves a real bad taste in my mouth to have put in all the hours to get to chapter 4, then spend more time trying to troubleshoot and work around bugs than actually enjoying the game in chapter 4 onward.

Dandywalken posted:

doesnt it take a crazy amount of faction rep?

As best I can tell you can maybe max out the rep on one faction, maybe two? And that's if you focus on that faction to the exclusion of others. And if you don't know that after Chapter 3 the factions get another 20 ranks to go through and new items and you spread out your remaining rep in the early game I guess you're poo poo out of luck.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jack Trades posted:

I can't help but laugh every time they say "mun-keh". It sounds so loving stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8QaWWzL3k

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Complications posted:

[Dogmatic] I don't think I really need to talk to them more

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Well, I give up. At best, I'll get a sympathetic refund from Steam. At worst I'm sticking the game in the drawer for a few months. The final straw was Ulfar telling me we need to find his pack before setting off to what appears to be the final mission. After we've already left the main game area to the point of no return. And there's literally nothing else I can explore in the chapter 5 area.

It leaves a real bad taste in my mouth to have put in all the hours to get to chapter 4, then spend more time trying to troubleshoot and work around bugs than actually enjoying the game in chapter 4 onward.

As best I can tell you can maybe max out the rep on one faction, maybe two? And that's if you focus on that faction to the exclusion of others. And if you don't know that after Chapter 3 the factions get another 20 ranks to go through and new items and you spread out your remaining rep in the early game I guess you're poo poo out of luck.

Not only will you emphatically NOT max out 2 factions, you can't (since getting one to 3 means you can't increase the others anymore).
But also, mechanically, there's only a fixed amount of Faction Choice Points available in the game, and on tempo. Doesn't matter if you've now become Iconoclast enough to make that one critical choice a few hours earlier.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Act 3 boss fight was tough with everyone in my party trauma-ed to hell, i had to use toybox to remove them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kobal2 posted:

Not only will you emphatically NOT max out 2 factions, you can't (since getting one to 3 means you can't increase the others anymore).
But also, mechanically, there's only a fixed amount of Faction Choice Points available in the game, and on tempo. Doesn't matter if you've now become Iconoclast enough to make that one critical choice a few hours earlier.

Factions as in your vendors. Not ideological stance points.