Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

nick sirianni will never win poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

On a scale from one to Josh McDaniels, how fired will Saleh be in a few weeks?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LiquidFriend posted:

On a scale from one to Josh McDaniels, how fired will Saleh be in a few weeks?

I feel like Douglas deserves firing way more than Saleh.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They both deserve firing. We don’t need to split hairs.

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1736500277987938672?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i think looking back at Saleh's handling of QBs after Rodgers went down he probably did the best he could all things considered. the team straight up went all-in on building a team around a 52 year old QB and they are suffering the consequences of that decision but how much can Saleh be blamed for it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Rodgers insists on people staying on Black Monday, fire him too

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I've never seen a Steelers HC lose a locker room before in my entire fandom. I am not as sure Tomlin will still be the Steelers HC next season. It was unimaginable even a month ago, but the player effort yesterday finally caught up to Tomlin's long run of hiring subpar assistants

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

D-LINK posted:

I've never seen a Steelers HC lose a locker room before in my entire fandom. I am not as sure Tomlin will still be the Steelers HC next season. It was unimaginable even a month ago, but the player effort yesterday finally caught up to Tomlin's long run of hiring subpar assistants

LA would welcome him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

epic bacon posted:

i think looking back at Saleh's handling of QBs after Rodgers went down he probably did the best he could all things considered. the team straight up went all-in on building a team around a 52 year old QB and they are suffering the consequences of that decision but how much can Saleh be blamed for it

He's 16-32 with zero playoff appearances in three years. At some point it doesn't matter whose fault it is, those results aren't acceptable.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Benne posted:

He's 16-32 with zero playoff appearances in three years. At some point it doesn't matter whose fault it is, those results aren't acceptable.

i don't necessarily disagree

it's more about this year. i think he's done about as good as he could

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I’d honestly question any Jets fan that think Saleh needs another year. The writing’s on the wall with him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

LA would welcome him

I'd hate to see him go, but I am not sure he'll survive this. Like I said, I've never seen a player effort game like yesterday in 30 years of watching

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Idk if Saleh is good but he was forced to start Zach Wilson and sabotaged by Rodgers at every turn so it seems unfair to blame him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

epic bacon posted:

You watched the way the jets showed up to play today and you don't think the coach needs to be fired? Are you blind? Or do you just want the jets to stick with a coach who sucks so they will suck forever?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Fire Saleh, promote Hackett. He just needed another year to learn what not to do

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

epic bacon posted:

Sending Wilson out to get lit up behind that poo poo line in a meaningless game, after telling him they were gonna trade him during the offseason, seems like a really bad decision.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Just caught up on the scores, saw the score of the chargers game, immediately came here to make sure dude got fired. Giving up 63 points to a Raiders team fresh off a 3-0 game is an amazing way to go out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jet performance this afternoon was every bit as bad as the Chargers on Thursday.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This feels like a bad year to try and defend a HC based on not getting a tune out of a backup QB.

It’s inconsistent obviously but too many other guys have been “a thing” for stretches at a time this year. Some of them even for teams with winning records or are still in play-off contention.

The Jets offence has been an unfathomable disaster all season and they’ve got nothing out of the QB position all year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Steelers' biggest problem is they didn't invest in a QB for years when Ben was in obvious decline, then when their hand was forced, drafted Kenny Pickett.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bumhead posted:

This feels like a bad year to try and defend a HC based on not getting a tune out of a backup QB.

It’s inconsistent obviously but too many other guys have been “a thing” for stretches at a time this year. Some of them even for teams with winning records or are still in play-off contention.

The Jets offence has been an unfathomable disaster all season and they’ve got nothing out of the QB position all year.

Well they didn't even try for most of the season to get a better QB.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Steelers' biggest problem is they didn't invest in a QB for years when Ben was in obvious decline, then when their hand was forced, drafted Kenny Pickett.

And acquired noted QB success story Mitchell Trubisky as the backup.

Any of us Bears fans could have warned y'all that he can't throw to his left.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

It's extremely hard to find a startable qb even one is the level that decling Ben was. They were better off trying to make the most of what career he had than hoping to develop another starter.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

That may have been the right decision but they're still stuck with the consequences of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ron Rivera is so checked out he didn't bother even trying to win a game he had a good chance to come back in.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

That may have been the right decision but they're still stuck with the consequences of it.

Odds are they end up in the same position they're in now except a wasted pick. Hell looking back they did try when they took Rudolph with a 3rd in 2018. Picking the right qb and developing them is hard or more than half the league wouldn't been eyeing qb's every off season.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Blind Pineapple posted:

Ben was only at the point of being detrimental to the teams ability to run an offense in his last season and he was such a loving weepy diva that if the team had tried to add somebody worth a poo poo to develop behind him, his fat rear end would have been sprinting to the headphones to bitch about it on his Rape Power Hour radio show. Mike tomlin deserves a medal for managing his ego as long as he did

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I cant really blame em for giving Pickett this year as well.

I think you'd be smart to re-assess this offseason but you don't boot a first round rookie after 12 games

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
On the other hand you shouldn't have made him a first round pick, same as Bryce young.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I thought Pickett was generally viewed as a mid to late first round grade? Like in retrospect he doesn't seem to be worth that, but I don't think it was viewed to be a reach to take him at 20 and they needed a QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I thought Pickett was generally viewed as a mid to late first round grade? Like in retrospect he doesn't seem to be worth that, but I don't think it was viewed to be a reach to take him at 20 and they needed a QB.

He was, it's just forums txt for people to post "he was always bad and I knew it" takes to feel good.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He was only graded that high due to the insane qb inflation in the league today. Everyone is super desperate and nobody has the answer to what makes a good qb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Pickett also had the whole 'home town boy owning in college going to the Steelers' thing going for him. And to his credit he really did a lot for that Pitt team his last year.

Which shouldn't make a difference but a whole lot of words were wasted on stories talking about it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I can tell you with absolute certainty nobody in pittsburgh cares about their college football team at university of pittsburgh.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Asproigerosis posted:

I can tell you with absolute certainty nobody in pittsburgh cares about their college football team at university of pittsburgh.

They dont but they also want the next Dan Marino

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
There are so many QB injuries this season and teams have still been able to fight and claw their way to some respectability. I watched the end of the Cards/Niners game yesterday and the Cards at least played like they cared.

Saleh assumed he got a mulligan with Rodgers getting hurt and coached the season that way. He deserves to be fired just for that.

Also it's infuriating that Carson Wentz was just sitting around (as much as i hate Wentz) and the team never brought him in for a workout. Meanwhile when they finally cut Boyle, they sign Rypien who was cut to make room for Wentz. At some point as coach you are seeing Wilson/Boyle/Siemian every day at practice, you have to go to the GM and tell him that they just aren't going to work and the team needs better.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

syzpid posted:

There are so many QB injuries this season and teams have still been able to fight and claw their way to some respectability. I watched the end of the Cards/Niners game yesterday and the Cards at least played like they cared.

Tyson Bagent, Tommy DeVito, Jake Browning, Joshua Dobbs, Aiden O'Connell..

Like nobody needs to pretend these are all great QB's who can produce consistent winning play, but they have all at least given their teams some juice, won some games or been "a thing" for a couple of weeks at various stages this year.

Joe Flacco is currently winning games. Gardner Minshew is currently winning games. Bailey Zappe has come in and won a game and at least looks more competitive for a NE team that's otherwise dead on its feet. Jacoby Brissett popped up yesterday and immediately scored a couple of TD's.

Feels like there's a bit of "boo hoo" energy around the Jets and losing Rodgers, and I just don't think there's much room for it in the full context of the 2023 season and how much this offense and lack of QB production still stinks the league out.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bumhead posted:

Like nobody needs to pretend these are all great QB's who can produce consistent winning play, but they have all at least given their teams some juice, won some games or been "a thing" for a couple of weeks at various stages this year.

Joe Flacco is currently winning games. Gardner Minshew is currently winning games. Bailey Zappe has come in and won a game and at least looks more competitive for a NE team that's otherwise dead on its feet. Jacoby Brissett popped up yesterday and immediately scored a couple of TD's.

Feels like there's a bit of "boo hoo" energy around the Jets and losing Rodgers, and I just don't think there's much room for it in the full context of the 2023 season and how much this offense and lack of QB production still stinks the league out.

Yeah it's one thing for your offense to take a hit without your star player, but we've seen multiple teams this year, including the Jets, breaking pre-NFL records of offensive incompetence.

And some of those teams have managed to pull it together a bit! (Broncos, Giants, kinda the Pats lol Steelers)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bumhead posted:

:agreed: completely

There's times teams lose their QB and use it as an excuse to punt on the rest of the year; it happens. When it happens, it's mid-year or with enough time passed that you don't have time to eye the FA field or trade, you're stuck with who you have rostered and you don't have time to really prepare them for the situation, and the coaches get a mulligan because really what can you do?

Around 2/3 of the league had it happen this year pre-this month, aka with more than a full month to play. Most of them with over half the season left. They saw their situation and adjusted, the QBs adapted and learned (or in veterans' cases like Flacco were helped by having a quality roster and a coaching system both friendly and familiar to them), and now it's about to be Week 16 and we see the results: 32 teams, only 6 eliminated from contention. I'm not gonna say that's a record, but it sure does feel like it's been a long time since the league was this competitive and unsure

The Jets are one of the 6. And they are the only team in the league who had its QB situation hosed 5 snaps into the year. They had more than enough time to adjust to that and do anything about it; they didn't*. They gave up. That's a coaching failure

*And no I'm not counting activating Trevor Siemian from a practice squad 4 weeks ago, or signing Brett Rypien from someone else's practice squad 2 weeks ago, as "anything"; Siemian's thrown 13 passes and Rypien hasn't played a snap, and both of the moves were made long after they were effectively already counted out of contention in all but the most convoluted tiebreakers possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

These are all fine ideas, but I think it's very safe to assume that all the backups and free agents who've been serviceable would have totally failed with the Jets o-line in front of them

If you want to blame the current regime for positions lacking talent, those mean a lot more than which D-tier QB should have been picked up, or the reality that everyone's hopes and dreams were pinned on an ancient QB surviving behind that line