Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, I decided to go ahead and buy the game. I've got it downloading right now.

Someone mentioned Payday 2, and I remembered doing the same missions in that multiple times. Although in the case of Payday 2, missions weren't just randomized, but they were also kind of varied in what you did (i.e. you could go for stealth runs for a bigger payout, but then you also had missions where you had to stealth it, but that's an entirely different topic).

Repeating missions might not really be that bad if there's enough variety, and if they add in new missions over time, then that helps. With Vermintide 2, it seemed like a lot of the additional content came with the DLC (which I just remembered I have keys for from a Humble Bundle), so maybe that makes the difference.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JBP posted:

Playing with friends or goons is vital to enjoying this game ongoing imo. It feels like being back in the halcyon days of L4D. I don't really get why anyone would play solo.

None of my friends picked the game back up once it got good and I've been too lazy to play with goons, so I only play solo. I'd say 50% of the time pubbies are quite good, 45% there's maybe a few missteps here or there, and less than 5% are people truly trash or toxic. I've maybe muted less than 10 people in 400+ hours and that's mostly people who were just shooting the poo poo way too much on the mic.

Playing with a group, hell yeah, I'm sure it's awesome and it was a lot of fun the few times I've done it. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the game to someone if all they were going to do is pub it. It's perfectly fine and enjoyable.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I only play this game late at night after my wife goes to bed, with pubbies, so high I can barely walk, and I have hundreds of hours in it lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

sorry for clarity when someone says "solo" I imagine they mean doing weird challenge runs without any teammates at all. Pubstove is perfectly fine in this game imo, similar to DRG

edit: only on Damnation though, never pub Heresy. When you're learning Sedition, Uprising and Malice I have heard are okay, but filled with newbies obviously.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry for the incorrect use of the word solo. On context, they were talking about pubbing and my response was in-line with that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finally got all the hidden penances for Veteran. The one for finishing a mission with 0 ammo and a 90% hit rate was annoying even when I used a low ammo weapon because I'm never sure if a hit on an enemy kill credited to your teammates counts or not. So I played like a nob knocking over enemies with shout and then shooting point blank in the face methodically until I ran out of ammo before switching to melee the rest of the run.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Putting together a new PC with my holiday bonus just so i can finally play this game at a consisten 60fps. Cant wait to hate it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Internet Explorer posted:

None of my friends picked the game back up once it got good and I've been too lazy to play with goons, so I only play solo. I'd say 50% of the time pubbies are quite good, 45% there's maybe a few missteps here or there, and less than 5% are people truly trash or toxic. I've maybe muted less than 10 people in 400+ hours and that's mostly people who were just shooting the poo poo way too much on the mic.

Playing with a group, hell yeah, I'm sure it's awesome and it was a lot of fun the few times I've done it. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the game to someone if all they were going to do is pub it. It's perfectly fine and enjoyable.

Oh yeah I also play solo when nobody is around and pubbies are good overall. Even when they're bad it's funny. When I read "solo" I think people mean with just bots, which is crazy to me.

I think the best experience is with some mates but pubbies are fine!

E: I pub heresy and carry them to victory on my mighty shoulders (ogryn only)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I decided to go ahead and buy the game. I've got it downloading right now.

Someone mentioned Payday 2, and I remembered doing the same missions in that multiple times. Although in the case of Payday 2, missions weren't just randomized, but they were also kind of varied in what you did (i.e. you could go for stealth runs for a bigger payout, but then you also had missions where you had to stealth it, but that's an entirely different topic).

Repeating missions might not really be that bad if there's enough variety, and if they add in new missions over time, then that helps. With Vermintide 2, it seemed like a lot of the additional content came with the DLC (which I just remembered I have keys for from a Humble Bundle), so maybe that makes the difference.

There's also various modifiers like lights out or lots of dogs that change it up.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Making a new Zealot. What's a good name for him/her?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to pick up Darktide yet? I heard some mixed things about it at launch, and while I've heard it's gotten better, there's still some negative reviews at the top of the Steam page citing issues about solo play, private games, and a cash shop.

I played Vermintide 2 back in 2018, and logged 18 hours into that. I liked it okay, but I don't remember a whole lot about it, and after finishing the final story mission, I felt like it didn't have a lot of replay value outside of just doing the same missions over. However, that might have changed since then (I heard it got some updates, and I know there were DLC packs added). I don't know how different Darktide is.

the whole tide experience is doing missions over and over for the chaos factor. dt is a lot more accessible imo but its still the same formula

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Hamish McDeath using the angry Scottish voice.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm of the opinion that your squad of rejects should have a gimmick with their names that makes it easy to remember who the player behind the characters is, like band members, or they all rhyme, or whatever.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like hitting the random name button a bunch because it feels like you are an anonymous meatball caught in the spaghetti of a forever war.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While in still prefer the KrUberseik Five or Four (doesn't matter) for their overall personalities and just how much they've grown as companions I have come around on the rejects being interchangeable nobodies who talk about their bosses like it's a more violent version of Office Space 40K

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I just based off all my reject names on something thematically related to the class and a part of Evil Kit. Usually the evil part cause that's what I thought of first.

I've seen some pretty good names in the wild though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

My rejects name is Jerkface but thats more like a callsign or nom de guerre

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My reject's name is nom de guerre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

My reject's name is nom de guerre.

That's too French. Ever notice that the Joan of Arc wannabe psyker is viewed with suspicion by the rest of the exceedingly British warband and their one Russian ogryn.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My psyker is Carl Jung, and the face is pretty close, but theres no glasses that I can use to complete the look

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

she was a nom de gueeeerrrrrr, tone!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Real talk I have a lowbie Vet named Soldier-76 that I use on the off chance a friend wants to play. I'm thinking about deleting him and making Shovel-Knight.

Wait I think it's Soldier-SeventySix because numbers aren't allowed.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 18, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My ogryn is called Bonka Bullittbrane and my psyker is Wyrd Al.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

isndl posted:

I stabbed the barrel and now I have more problems!

Nonsense if anything the barrel blew you to safety!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

First time logging in and noticed there was a new level. Decided on a damnation run for it for my first go and the people weren't moving past the intro. Chat isn't working so I go back to the group and they just point to this bell, so I hit it.

Turns out I signed up for damnation hard mode? The teleport really threw me tbh.
Anyway we beat it first try, only 3 deaths.

Knife zealot supremacy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A chaos spawn once used me to propel a psyker to safety.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

A chaos spawn once used me to propel a psyker to safety.

getting thrown next to a bomber that was going to smear my party is a great feeling

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Does anyone know how long this special assignment is around for? Do I need to rush to finish it before I leave for the holidays or will it still be around come January?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Things that kill me:

1) getting thrown from a ledge by a burster or barrel (usually my doing)

2) Fire

Unless I'm psyker. I have yet to figure out how not to go down when separated from my group.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Ajaxify posted:

Does anyone know how long this special assignment is around for? Do I need to rush to finish it before I leave for the holidays or will it still be around come January?

Special assignment is staying for the foreseeable future. The part that was temporary was the random lone twin spawns in place of monstrosities on normal maps.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
they even got the barber-chirgueon on for one of the missions as mission control, citing his familiarity with the criminal underworld as a reason

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

toasterwarrior posted:

they even got the barber-chirgueon on for one of the missions as mission control, citing his familiarity with the criminal underworld as a reason

their new approach to the mission narrators has been great. I love whenever hallowette and melk show up uninvited lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hadron and Shipmistress Brahm bickering like a couple of grannies:allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kayex is just bizarre, I love him

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zealot with Fury of the Faithful, Martyrdom, and the new Eviscerator with Wrath(cleave)+Shred... it's so good. It's exactly what this game is supposed to be.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kayex is there to remind us that, by techpriest standards, Hadron is amazingly forthright and easy to work with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Kayex is just bizarre, I love him

Kayex your standard techpriest. Hadron is the weirdo.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Finally got all the hidden penances for Veteran. The one for finishing a mission with 0 ammo and a 90% hit rate was annoying even when I used a low ammo weapon because I'm never sure if a hit on an enemy kill credited to your teammates counts or not. So I played like a nob knocking over enemies with shout and then shooting point blank in the face methodically until I ran out of ammo before switching to melee the rest of the run.

Back when Darktide first released, those penances in the "REDACTED" section were the only class-based penances. The vet penances weren't that bad, but take a look at the psyker/zealot. There were a bunch that basically required you to gently caress your own team over to achieve the penance. The devs eventually set it so you can only achieve the penance in private games, because so many players were essentially griefing their own teammates and/or killing themselves for penances.

And so many veterans quitting as soon as they took their first bit of melee chip damage. I do not miss those days. I do miss back when Volley Fire (the proto Executioner's Stance) automatically reloaded your weapon and gave 75% DR against ranged damage. Made the vet into a sniping death machine.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Jean Steeler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Yeah, the complaining about paid cosmetics thing was always a little out of hand and now has gotten kind of silly. The problem isn't the existence of a cash shop. You can have opinions on that, but a game pushing all their content updates for free and using cosmetics to keep development going isn't some immoral act. The issue at release was that the game wasn't in a good state and choosing to release paid cosmics at that time was a bit tone deaf. And that the paid currency bundles were doing the thing where it was never the right amount to buy something, which as far as I know has also been fixed.

Having the most popular cosmetics cost juuuust more than a pack of Aquila costs (2400 vs 2700) is still a Dick Move imo

Edit: And just to pre-empt any economics majors I don't care if it's profitable, I'm sure it is. It's scummy and leaves a bad impression for me

Edit2: And also having very little in non-premium cosmetics (why are there, after over a year, only 2 paintjobs for weapons?)

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 18, 2023