Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Krampus is great. Christmas horror comedies are usually really bad, so it felt like a real gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ruddiger posted:

Dang, god bless the kids and all that poo poo but that Five Nights at Freddy’s movie is boring as heck

it was a good first scary movie for my 8yo

(i wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 16)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I think it certainly helps but like the story of a beat down man just hanging on and unable to let go should probably be accessible even if you don't care or know anything about wrestling. Then again I'm wrestling fan so maybe I'm wrong and there's too much wrestling or inside stuff? I dunno,. But it feels like a wrestling movie the same way Friday Night Lights is about football or something.

I felt it did help with being aware of how messed up the old era of wrestlers ended up helped with watching The Wrestler. I really wasn't much into wrestling save for how much my ex was REALLY into wrestling, pretty much the same as I'm not much into sports in general but for some reason I really enjoy the behind the scenes documentaries on sports so The Wrestler ended up being pretty compelling to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Wrestler was one of my favorite movies of that year but the Beyond The Mat documentary really primed the pump for it. I watched that religiously in college.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vice has a docuseries on Hulu I checked out earlier tonight called "the Dark side of wrestling" or something and it's pretty entertaining.

The funny thing about wrestling for me is that it's so completely ridiculous I can't comprehend how people are actually into it, but the second any sort of documentary or drama about wrestling pops up I can't hit the play button fast enough.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

veni veni veni posted:

Vice has a docuseries on Hulu I checked out earlier tonight called "the Dark side of wrestling" or something and it's pretty entertaining.

The funny thing about wrestling for me is that it's so completely ridiculous I can't comprehend how people are actually into it, but the second any sort of documentary or drama about wrestling pops up I can't hit the play button fast enough.

That Dark Side of the Ring show's really good. The Benoit two parter was very fascinating.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crescent Wrench posted:

EDIT: Updated version, top two rows are Requiem, bottom three are Black Swan.

I might give you the top two, but the rest? Is nobody allowed to shoot two women with one in the foreground and one in the background now because some cartoon did it? Or a woman illuminated from the front? This is basic filmic language. If I wasn't only on my phone for a couple of minutes I could probably find you a dozen examples of those bottom three shots, all predating your "original".

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Jedit posted:

I might give you the top two, but the rest? Is nobody allowed to shoot two women with one in the foreground and one in the background now because some cartoon did it? Or a woman illuminated from the front? This is basic filmic language. If I wasn't only on my phone for a couple of minutes I could probably find you a dozen examples of those bottom three shots, all predating your "original".

That set of pics sort of conflates two different things. Requiem For a Dream features direct lifts of shots from Perfect Blue (as far as I'm aware this is all intentional homage and nobody has an issue with it).

The stills from Black Swan aren't so much about the shots themselves being 1:1 alike, but rather how the entire movie reminds people of Perfect Blue if they've ever seen the latter. In Perfect Blue, a young and sheltered performer named Mima's fragile psyche is damaged when her career handlers push her into adopting a new, darker and edgier image and persona, and starts seeing doppelgangers in reflections and maybe-hallucinating she's on stage receiving thunderous applause amidst a blindingly white light, among other things.

In Black Swan, a young and sheltered performer named Nina's fragile psyche is damaged when her career handlers push her into playing a new, darker and more aggressive role and performance style, and starts seeing doppelgangers in reflections and maybe-hallucinating she's on stage receiving thunderous applause amidst a blindingly white light, among other things. When you add that certain key shots are quite similar (if not exact), and then take into account his history with the earlier film, it makes it hard to buy Aronofsky's claim that Perfect Blue was not a major influence.

Now, as far as I'm aware there's not necessarily any reason to think anything shady or immoral happened here, either (a lot of people liked the way it appeared to borrow from Perfect Blue). It's just extremely peculiar, and the two apparent possibilities - either it's all a coincidence or Aronofsky is lying about it - both seem implausible.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

That Dark Side of the Ring show's really good. The Benoit two parter was very fascinating.

Its also co-created by Hobo With A Shotgun's Jason Eisener, but you wouldn't really know it from the production..

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

M_Sinistrari posted:

Agreed. The Owen Hart episode is probably the best thing they’ve done and if you really want to see the darkest black side, watch the Jake Roberts episode.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You know whats not a very good Christmas horror? Better Watch Out.

It feels like the bones of a good script but then they made every dumb decision they could to make the movie an eye rolling mess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weekly font posted:

You know whats not a very good Christmas horror? Better Watch Out.

It feels like the bones of a good script but then they made every dumb decision they could to make the movie an eye rolling mess.

I watched it a few weeks ago and actually had a lot of fun. I don't think it's a "good" horror movie but the villain really hammed it up and was enjoying himself. I actually laughed out loud at the home alone paint can scene. I think the movie did a pretty good job of setting up pseudo-red herrings like "Okay, this is how they're going to stop the invaders later!" only to do the twist in the first act

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Right now my pecking order for potential viewings of Christmas horror I haven't seen is Rare Exports, Don't Open Till Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Knife. I haven't seen Better Watch Out either, though, worth slotting in?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do not like rare exports

I don’t get it. Weird movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Rare Exports is a five minute short blown up to feature length without any concrete ideas about how to fill the other 80 minutes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You set up the coolest idea and then you don’t do it…I know budgets but like idk. Coulda hired a few less naked Santa’s and did more with the giant kaiju Santa Krampus

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I felt it did help with being aware of how messed up the old era of wrestlers ended up helped with watching The Wrestler. I really wasn't much into wrestling save for how much my ex was REALLY into wrestling, pretty much the same as I'm not much into sports in general but for some reason I really enjoy the behind the scenes documentaries on sports so The Wrestler ended up being pretty compelling to me.

Its not really the "old era". Wrestling is still an exploitative industry and wrestlers still make terrible decisions with their health and well being. One of the top guys in the top promotion in America wrestled a huge show with a horrific injury last year and one of the top guys from the secondary promotion just announced a long term life threatening health concern he was "pushing through" and its not the first time for him. And these are top guys, not old guys struggling to make paychecks and hold onto the drug performing gave them. Of which there's still plenty as there will always be an unregulated capitalistic society.

veni veni veni posted:

Its spectacle and soap opera. People get into the same they do any trash. And its continuous every week year long with no breaks. So it really breeds obsession and habit. The Vice series also does a great job really packaging the weird dual reality/fantasy drama nature that a lot of people are obsessed with. Its basically reality tv merged with sports.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, a big part of wrestling's draw nowadays is the backstage real-life stuff is often more compelling as reality TV. Proper court intrigue stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like tjpw because there is a woman who is 147 cms tall and dresses up as a kaiju and is called the biggest kaiju

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Crescent Wrench posted:

Right now my pecking order for potential viewings of Christmas horror I haven't seen is Rare Exports, Don't Open Till Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Knife. I haven't seen Better Watch Out either, though, worth slotting in?

I actually really like Better Watch Out a lot.

I think I would have left it feeling super gross and sad if he had gotten away with everything the way they seemed to be leaning right into that nihilism, but the capper that the little poo poo is so clearly hosed at the end after it seems like he's about to get away with everything is the perfect button on the ending imo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you're looking for Extreme Horror (with a bit of dark comedy), I can't recommend the New Jack episode of Dark Side of the Ring enough

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like tjpw because there is a woman who is 147 cms tall and dresses up as a kaiju and is called the biggest kaiju

Lol that rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you're looking for Extreme Horror (with a bit of dark comedy), I can't recommend the New Jack episode of Dark Side of the Ring enough

There's some wild poo poo in that episode. He was loving nuts

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm still extremely sad about Sion Sono but gently caress if I'm not gonna watch Love and Peace for Christmas.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Better Watch Out is a solid movie. So many solid Christmas movies. Why can't Halloween movies be like this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Better Watch Out is a solid movie. So many solid Christmas movies. Why can't Halloween movies be like this

you can't even say "oh yeah but are any Christmas horror movies as good as Halloween 1978?" because Black Christmas is in fact as good as Halloween 1978

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

I actually really like Better Watch Out a lot.

I think I would have left it feeling super gross and sad if he had gotten away with everything the way they seemed to be leaning right into that nihilism, but the capper that the little poo poo is so clearly hosed at the end after it seems like he's about to get away with everything is the perfect button on the ending imo.
oh no someone didn't stick around for the mid-credits scene :ohdearsass:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Christmas Evil is as good as Halloween 78

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Christmas Evil is as good as Halloween 78

i mean i'm open to that argument as well.

the really wild thing is that Black Christmas is scarier than Halloween 78. and you can pretty much count the number of actually scary slasher movies on one hand.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Trick r Treat
Halloween 3
The Guest
Halloween 78
Halloween 2018
Hocus Pocus
Terrifier 2
The Lords of Salem

Are all good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t even think of a scary slasher movie. I’m rooting for the killer to entertain me with cool kills too much to feel much fear lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t even think of a scary slasher movie. I’m rooting for the killer to entertain me with cool kills too much to feel much fear lol

there's Halloween, Black Christmas, and Scream. A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre could round it out to five depending on whether you count them or not (I do count Nightmare but do not count Massacre).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think black christmas completely eats halloween's lunch and is way beyond "as good" imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there's Halloween, Black Christmas, and Scream. A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre could round it out to five depending on whether you count them or not (I do count Nightmare but do not count Massacre).

I love all these but they don’t really scare me but like I said I’m mostly in it for the kills, and also atmosphere and stuff.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I cant get on that train cause imo Black Christmas has some serious pacing issues but its still a doozy. It walked so Halloween could run etc etc.

Where both Halloween and BC really overlap though is in having lovely remakes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Where both Halloween and BC really overlap though is in having lovely good remakes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, his Halloween II remake, and his Halloween III remake (Lords of Salem) are all good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll say rob zombies myers was a pretty scary slasher. His scenes def made me go oh man. That’s someone you really don’t want to see coming at you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lords of Salem is a forgotten Halloween classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

weekly font posted:

I cant get on that train cause imo Black Christmas has some serious pacing issues but its still a doozy. It walked so Halloween could run etc etc.

Where both Halloween and BC really overlap though is in having lovely remakes.

For a second I thought there was a lovely Christmas evil remake that I had to rush out and see.