Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, with spinning disks, ZFS actually sees a speed increase by using even more CPU power to also compress the data as the time it takes to compress/decompress the data is more than made up for by having less data going onto or off of the disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
A couple weeks ago, I remembered the existence of my old netbook, and yesterday I finally found the power cable. After jiggling the connector a bit, it started to charge, and booted just fine to Windows XP. (Today, I'm testing the battery health. It sat unused for a decade and seems ... fine? It's not great, and on the first pass it lasted about 2.5 hours while saying it would last about 4. Acted like it was full and couldn't charge anymore when the battery meter said 56%. I remember the thing having something like a five hour battery life.)

Of course, I want to toy around with it as another project computer. It's an Acer Aspire One D150, rocking a single core, 1.6 GHz, 32-bit CPU and one lone gig of RAM. My current idea is to buy an SSD to replace the hard drive and put a new operating system on it, which is why I come to you all today:

Any tips on distros that support 32-bit processors, need only the slightest amount of RAM, and, importantly, can work well with a vertical resolution of 600 pixels? (1024x600 chopped off a lot of menus made for 1024x768 when I used it regularly.) Looking around DistroWatch and It's FOSS, I've got Puppy Linux, Q4OS (current top contender), and "Oh hey NixOS supports 32-bit?" as my list of possibles.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vavrek posted:

A couple weeks ago, I remembered the existence of my old netbook, and yesterday I finally found the power cable. After jiggling the connector a bit, it started to charge, and booted just fine to Windows XP. (Today, I'm testing the battery health. It sat unused for a decade and seems ... fine? It's not great, and on the first pass it lasted about 2.5 hours while saying it would last about 4. Acted like it was full and couldn't charge anymore when the battery meter said 56%. I remember the thing having something like a five hour battery life.)

Of course, I want to toy around with it as another project computer. It's an Acer Aspire One D150, rocking a single core, 1.6 GHz, 32-bit CPU and one lone gig of RAM. My current idea is to buy an SSD to replace the hard drive and put a new operating system on it, which is why I come to you all today:

Any tips on distros that support 32-bit processors, need only the slightest amount of RAM, and, importantly, can work well with a vertical resolution of 600 pixels? (1024x600 chopped off a lot of menus made for 1024x768 when I used it regularly.) Looking around DistroWatch and It's FOSS, I've got Puppy Linux, Q4OS (current top contender), and "Oh hey NixOS supports 32-bit?" as my list of possibles.
not worth the trouble. you would be better of buying whatever used chromebook you can get for $50 and installing linux on it rather than putting an ssd in that

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The requirement for 1024*600 support is going to kill it - nothing I see with a GUI is designed for that resolution anymore, even if it still has 32-bit support. I remember having a similar netbook and that was a challenge when it was just a few years old, which was a decade ago.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yesterday, my Pixelbook wasn't starting Linux. I got it working again, maybe it was just being sluggish, I dunno. But it reminded me of how totally boned I would be if Linux went away on this thing. The way I use it, it's essentially a Debian box that's had USB access nerfed.

This machine is coming up on 7 years old. I'm surprised it's still getting updates: that's awesome. I frickin' love it. I wonder if I should try to replace the battery and force install Linux onto it so I can quit using the X220 for Arduino. Dropping $1400 on a framework laptop is another option, especially if it's going to last me another 7 years, but it's hard to justify that cost when I'm still using the 13-year-old X220.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think Debian has the best 32 bit support of the modern distros. Give it a shot! You can always use it to play doom and quake on the go.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mantle posted:

I think Debian has the best 32 bit support of the modern distros. Give it a shot! You can always use it to play doom and quake on the go.

heh, it's not that old. amd64 dates back to like 2001. The Pixelbook came out 16 years later.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cruft posted:

heh, it's not that old. amd64 dates back to like 2001. The Pixelbook came out 16 years later.
I seem to recall that the first AMD64 processors didn't hit the market until a few years later, because I vaguely remember the work for the machine-dependent code in FreeBSD being delayed because of availability issues.
And since AMD beat Intel to market and the latter had to rush out x86_64, as it was called then, I assume that was even later?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've been using Bottles recently, and it's... shockingly good.

I had previously used a Windows VM to run some old applications and encountered some that didn't work. On a whim I decided to chuck it at a bottles container and... it just worked. No issues, no additional runtime dependencies needed, no command line arguments. It just ran like I was installing them on Windows XP.

Honestly, maybe Linux is now the better Wiindows box than Windows is?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I had previously used a Windows VM to run some old applications and encountered some that didn't work. On a whim I decided to chuck it at a bottles container and... it just worked. No issues, no additional runtime dependencies needed, no command line arguments. It just ran like I was installing them on Windows XP.

Yeah, it might be.

I've been using Windows for work, and it really has improved a lot since I last used it in 1994. But it's still got plenty of warts, and I know Linux's warts better, so I wish I could go back.

Anyway I discovered that the Windows package of Git comes with bash and a couple utilities, so now I've got vscode set up to make me feel at home. I can type `ls` and not get startled by the output. Other than every file having the execute bit set, it's fine. This is fine. Whatever.

(I miss Linux)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I need to try that. Looks great.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vavrek posted:

I used one of those -- or one of its immediate successors that came with win 7 home -- for a few years when I was writing stuff in word for a living. It was such a great form factor for doing work in a cafe and it performed pretty well when I added in some more ram and swapped in an ssd. I never enjoyed using a laptop on the go quite as much, also I could just leave it on the table when I went to the bathroom and never had to worry about it being stolen. Nothing ever went wrong with it and I can't recall any major flaws besides the atom processor and having a short screen.

Unfortunately, since the mid 2010s, Linux guis have gotten increasingly huger and support for smaller screens has gotten really bad -- there will be some settings dialogs that extend past the bottom edge of the screen. it has also gotten much harder to customize and theme different programs consistently and without breakage.

you may be able to configure one of the window managers to have a way to move around a larger-than-your-screen virtual desktop, or use the zoom accessibility feature to accomplish the same.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Another thing that I'm not sure might address the low resolution thing is to try using a window manager like i3 or sway instead of a desktop environment. 1) I think the GUI widgets are generally smaller so you get more of your screen for content, and 2) you will need to do less of micromanaging maximizing and tiling windows manually.

I haven't actually done this so I don't know if this is a solution, but it's something on my todo list.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mantle posted:

Another thing that I'm not sure might address the low resolution thing is to try using a window manager like i3 or sway instead of a desktop environment. 1) I think the GUI widgets are generally smaller so you get more of your screen for content, and 2) you will need to do less of micromanaging maximizing and tiling windows manually.

I haven't actually done this so I don't know if this is a solution, but it's something on my todo list.

If this is in reference to the netbook, then :hmmyes:

Running everything full-screen is a pro move on a small screen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

there's no way you're actually going to want to tile windows with that resolution, but that said, i3 does work fine if you just have one pane taking up the full screen and use tabs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blackbox/fluxbox/openbox would also work well in terms of size and performance. you could probably theme xfce well enough to work too.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I just switched to Linux, Endevour OS.

What is the consensus on malware scanners? Searching yielded split results with some places claiming that AV scanning isn't needed for Linux because there isn't a lot of Linux specific malware out there or that Linux is robust enough in its design to not need it. If advised to get something what would be the recommendation?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The issue isn't really that there aren't a whole lot of Linux-specific malware, the issue is that nowadays there's genuinely no reason to trust anti-malware makers.
Several of them have decided to embed cryptominer code in their own software, so that whatever the user gets installed or gets run as JavaScript in a browser, there won't be sufficient CPU time for it to mean anything.

Most customers/consumers OS ship with the best AM software anyway, it's called Windows Defender and its definitions are handled through Windows Update.

EDIT: And in all cases, no matter what, you shouldn't rely on any particular software to keep your important data safe. You should have 3 backups, in at least 2 places, and 1 should be offline when it's not being actively backed up - aka. the 3-2-1strategy.
Compute and storage commodification has gotten to a point that there's just no excuse.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 15, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Y'know, 15 years ago all my co-workers in the incident response field were, like, malware is coming for MacOS and it's just a matter of time before it hits Linux. And, I mean, yeah, there's Linux malware, but it just doesn't seem like it's a really big problem.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

EDIT: And in all cases, no matter what, you shouldn't rely on any particular software to keep your important data safe. You should have 3 backups, in at least 2 places, and 1 should be offline when it's not being actively backed up - aka. the 3-2-1strategy.
Compute and storage commodification has gotten to a point that there's just no excuse.

100 times this, yes. The #1 security attack these days is ransomware, and only the crappy stuff is going to be caught by an AV scanner. If you're hit by ransomewared you are straight up screwed, regardless of your OS. Backups, and specifically backups using the 3-2-1 strategy, are the best and most reliable way to safeguard your crap from bad actors.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you really want something clamav is the open source defacto linux AV.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cruft posted:

100 times this, yes. The #1 security attack these days is ransomware, and only the crappy stuff is going to be caught by an AV scanner. If you're hit by ransomewared you are straight up screwed, regardless of your OS. Backups, and specifically backups using the 3-2-1 strategy, are the best and most reliable way to safeguard your crap from bad actors.
Atomically transactional copy-on-write filesystems with programmatically automated snapshots are generally safe from ransomware, unless you've done something silly like give your user access to delete snapshots, you're running software you don't trust as root, or something else like that (*) - but it's more of an accident as a function of their design, rather than a deliberate choice.

Also, the offline backup is there to protect you against an active threat - as is the notion of doing pull-backups instead of pushing them (because an active threat can use your method of pushing backups to attack the backup too).

Why yes, I did find a way to turn this into a conversation about ZFS.
*: Or if you use BTRFS where you can't do programmatically automated snapshots because the filesystem will kill itself if you try

Mr. Crow posted:

If you really want something clamav is the open source defacto linux AV.
Isn't ClamAV only useful if you're using Sendmail (don't) or Postfix and milters and "reject it" by not sending 250 OK before 221 BYE to the client, which avoids backscatter and makes it more annoying to be someone trying to send the email that's so obviously bad that even ClamAV can detect it?
Best part is, it's entirely within the RFC - because email, not being the reliable protocol people think it is, only really has one hard requirement that's relevant: Don't lose email once it's been accepted, and ensure it gets passed on to the recipient.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 16, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Sure, I dont use it but I dont think there is an alternative? I just fly by the seat of my pants with SELinux and have a bunch of poo poo on my gateway.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
FreeBSD is the answer, as always.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Trust wasn't even something I had considered in terms of AV software. It's actually a really good point if the software is 3rd party.

Thanks for the replies.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I've been overall quite happy with my Ubuntu machine, but I've recently gotten into Unreal game development, and overall the experience on Linux is quite poopy, so I want to buy a 1 or 2 TB external SSD and be able to boot windows from it when I want to mess around with Unreal. Is it feasible to do everything from a USB? All the tutorials I've seen are of installing Linux on a windows machine, and I've heard horror stories of the Windows taking over the Grub loader and making it impossible to get back into linux. I want to do it on an external device because I don't want to see any windows stuff when I'm not explicitly working on it.

Any good tutorials out there on how to do this?

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 18, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Would it maybe be easier to run Windows through a VM? Or would you want the extra GPU performance for Unreal development by running it on bare metal?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rescue Toaster posted:

Unless you're using SSDs in your raid I guess.
on nvmes you can kinda get there again, but on a nvme raid a 10gb write lasts 2 seconds, you probably aren't going to notice your cpu being a bit high for 2 seconds when you click save on a 10gb file and more impressed with the speed :v:

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

the general wisdom is to unplug all other drives (or disable the ports in bios) except the windows system drive when installing windows, because otherwise windows might decide it wants to put bootloader on a completely random disk

which you then remove 7 years later and oops suddenly windows boots no more lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I've been overall quite happy with my Ubuntu machine, but I've recently gotten into Unreal game development, and overall the experience on Linux is quite poopy, so I want to buy a 1 or 2 TB external SSD and be able to boot windows from it when I want to mess around with Unreal. Is it feasible to do everything from a USB? All the tutorials I've seen are of installing Linux on a windows machine, and I've heard horror stories of the Windows taking over the Grub loader and making it impossible to get back into linux. I want to do it on an external device because I don't want to see any windows stuff when I'm not explicitly working on it.

I had success with this https://github.com/spxak1/weywot/blob/main/Pop_OS_Dual_Boot.md

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do be aware that Windows on a USB stick needs to be configured as Windows To Go (which it'll do on its own if you have a disk that was internal, but has been moved to an external enclosure) in order to work, and that natively you can't install Windows on a USB device.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cruft posted:

Yeah, it might be.

I've been using Windows for work, and it really has improved a lot since I last used it in 1994. But it's still got plenty of warts, and I know Linux's warts better, so I wish I could go back.

Anyway I discovered that the Windows package of Git comes with bash and a couple utilities, so now I've got vscode set up to make me feel at home. I can type `ls` and not get startled by the output. Other than every file having the execute bit set, it's fine. This is fine. Whatever.

(I miss Linux)

You...have heard of WSL2, right? It's literally a tightly integrated Linux VM in Windows, latest versions even have X11 support built in natively. It actually works pretty well, so assuming your work setup isn't locked down such you can't install it I'd recommend giving it a whirl.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

feedmegin posted:

You...have heard of WSL2, right? It's literally a tightly integrated Linux VM in Windows, latest versions even have X11 support built in natively. It actually works pretty well, so assuming your work setup isn't locked down such you can't install it I'd recommend giving it a whirl.

If you run X11 or Wayland apps, the laptop won't suspend because the remote desktop client prevents sleep mode. And their sommelier equivalent (wslservice?) is buggy as hell and needs to be killed a couple times a day, otherwise Linux either slows to a crawl or completely freezes.

Anyway yes, thanks, WSL2 was the first thing I set up. But I'm trying to figure out how to get my coworker editing these markdown lab files and testing them locally on their laptop's development server without requiring them to also be a Linux admin. Also, it's about time I understood how Windows works again.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
If you have an UEFI install, I expect you should be able to boot to Linux from the bios after installing Windows. You might want to check with efibootmgr if there is an explicit entry for grub/shim/systemd or whatever Ubuntu uses.

Even if it does wipe your EFI partition somehow, you could create a backup on a USB drive and copy everything back after the install (even from Windows, since it's just a FAT filesystem)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Since we're doing a little WSL2 chat here, this reminded me of an issue I'm currently having.

I'm a RedHat person, so for WSL usage, I wanted a RH based image. I found the Oracle Linux 9.1 (RHEL 9.1 spin), and that's been working really well for me, but I'm having an issue where ping doesn't work.

In a Fedora spin I used a while back (had to import the image and change some stuff, but it worked ok), I ran into an ACL issue with ping, but that's not what I'm getting here.

It just gives no output and returns 2. Searching for ping returning 2 didn't give me anything I could work with.

I'm using the Oracle Linux 9.1 build from the Windows store on Win11 with WSL2.

Anyone else seen this?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cruft posted:

Anyway yes, thanks, WSL2 was the first thing I set up. But I'm trying to figure out how to get my coworker editing these markdown lab files and testing them locally on their laptop's development server without requiring them to also be a Linux admin. Also, it's about time I understood how Windows works again.

I'm not sure if I've understood your usecase, but VS Code with VS Code remote plugin, might be easy way of going about this? You can just SSH (via VS Code) into the machine, and then you get local editing support. https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/remote-overview

Once they SSH into the machine through vs code, they'll get the VS Code file viewer. Which more or less works like it would locally. It has saved me a few times over trying to teach people SFTP or working with SSH directly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kibner posted:

Would it maybe be easier to run Windows through a VM? Or would you want the extra GPU performance for Unreal development by running it on bare metal?

You'd definitely need a GPU.

If this is a machine with dual GPUs (for ex Intel integrated and Nvidia dedicated) you can set it up so that the Linux OS only uses one of them and the Windows VM uses the other. Then use Looking Glass to run the VM totally inside the Linux host. But that's pretty complex thing to set up.

Though a dual boot using an external drive is probably gonna have some quirks as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Klyith posted:

You'd definitely need a GPU.

If this is a machine with dual GPUs (for ex Intel integrated and Nvidia dedicated) you can set it up so that the Linux OS only uses one of them and the Windows VM uses the other. Then use Looking Glass to run the VM totally inside the Linux host. But that's pretty complex thing to set up.

Though a dual boot using an external drive is probably gonna have some quirks as well.

There's some options as well for sharing a single video card between a host and vm. Though they are highly hardware specific and potentially require you to fiddle around with IOMMU groups.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on one hand, dual gpu for vm passthrough is a loving nightmare in practice unless you do 0 dgpu stuff ever on the host because you have to relog into an igpu session every time and at that point you might as well dual boot because SSD boot times are just that nice

on the other hand, with qt6.6, wayland kde6 is going to support switching display servers on the fly, and then there's finally the possibility of "screen flashes and now your compositor is on igpu and the vm is booting on the dgpu"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Well, it's a hypervisor with a bit of thin film to paint over that fact.

WSL1 is the implementation with tight integration, because it's a syscall emulation layer similar to the FreeBSD linuxulator (which is presumably where Microsoft got the idea, when they were porting dtrace).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

WSL1 is the implementation with tight integration, because it's a syscall emulation layer similar to the FreeBSD linuxulator (which is presumably where Microsoft got the idea, when they were porting dtrace).
They got the idea when they were trying to run android apps on windows phones