Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

2house2fly posted:

It will always baffle me that the "Timeless Child" reveal which profoundly alters the whole backstory of the entire series rendering multiple previous stories retroactively devoid of stakes (remember when the Doctor was about to die for real on Trenzalore? Remember the flashforward to after that time where the characters saw his grave??) not only hasn't come up much since, it wasn't even particularly important to the plot of the episode it was revealed in. The whole reveal was just to keep the Doctor busy while the Master got on with Cybermen bullshit!

Gonna throw it out here, I agree with Youtuber, DAVIS, that it would be kind of fine if a future writer reveals that The Master was the real Timeless Child. How it justifies he hatred of Gallifrey and why he'd destroy it. And telling The Doctor that story was just a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Updog Scully posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxH2xTBV43s

Gatwa casually vaulting over chimneys while delivering quips. Already top tier.

Also google Doctor Who for a fun surprise

Cute game, but gently caress that last level.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Covok posted:

Gonna throw it out here, I agree with Youtuber, DAVIS, that it would be kind of fine if a future writer reveals that The Master was the real Timeless Child. How it justifies he hatred of Gallifrey and why he'd destroy it. And telling The Doctor that story was just a distraction.

But the Master ran out of regenerations too. I’d much rather the TC be just an unverifiable myth lost to the Time War. Who was it? No idea, maybe they just wandered off one day and they’re still out there somewhere.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

It will always baffle me that the "Timeless Child" reveal which profoundly alters the whole backstory of the entire series rendering multiple previous stories retroactively devoid of stakes (remember when the Doctor was about to die for real on Trenzalore? Remember the flashforward to after that time where the characters saw his grave??) not only hasn't come up much since, it wasn't even particularly important to the plot of the episode it was revealed in. The whole reveal was just to keep the Doctor busy while the Master got on with Cybermen bullshit!

You really thought while watching that Trenzalore arc that the show would kill the Doctor for good and then end?

I’d have been more upset at the unresolved nature of the reveal if we hadn’t seen:
1. The reveal that the Doctor saved Gallifrey instead of destroying it, seemingly setting up Eleven and Twelve to go looking for Gallifrey, something Eleven didn’t do and Twelve gave up on.
2. The reveal of the new series Daleks, who quietly disappeared without explanation on-screen.
3. The reveal that the Daleks could just steal planets from all over without anyone else noticing or tracking them, and stick them in one place, without widespread devastation on said planets, to be used to destroy everything. The Daleks had previously attempted to dig to the center of the Earth to put engines there and drive the planet around, successfully. If they could just relocate planets, why not drop them all into suns and kill their enemies selectively?

Moffat was the worst of the three showrunners for “here’s a new premise, now let’s forget this ever happened” while RTD definitely had a “wild idea you shouldn’t think about” penchant. “Timeless Chilld” seems to have been a bigger upset than even “half-human on my mother’s side” but the show basically takes an attitude of “nobody should care and the Doctor should just choose to ignore it all”, which makes me really interested to see what RTD plans to make of the idea. (People ITT convinced he won’t, and I admit he may have just been trolling when he called “The Timeless Child” a classic episode, but I think he’s running with “the Doctor is a mythic figure” in a whole new way.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This classic who stuff has been so much fun. Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton are wonderful Doctors. Jon feels so much like a spy out of James Bond. And Patrick feels like someone smart enough to know to be stupid. It's honestly been rip roaring. And I am finding out so many things. Like the John Smith thing started with Spearhead from Space and the HADS comes from The Krotons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hitting "Don't recommend this channel" on pretty much every dumbass "DOCTOR WHO IS BAD NOW!/GONE WOKE!" bullshit that keeps coming up on my feed cause I had the audacity to enjoy some youtube clips.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Ruth turns back into the Doctor and starts giving her the 'It can go anywhere in space and time' talk was awesome

Honestly, any “companion gets introduced to the TARDIS” scene never fails to disappoint.

My favourites are still Peter “wanting to do it properly”, and then Twelve’s “you’re safe in here and you always will be” speech to Bill.

https://youtu.be/5ga6CwyKvr8
https://youtu.be/oM4VPJJ4yrs

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

The_Doctor posted:

Considering that UNIT rooftop set is actually outside in Cardiff, that’s remarkably selfish of Tennant.

That street name's a bit...on the nose.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Covok posted:

You could also make the timeless child an Authorian or Greek God type of Time Lord ancient myth. That it was an old story to make sense of their world/abilities/society.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There are tons of ways out of it, and I get that showrunners don't want to retcon one-another, but like, Chibbers loving ruined the 50th. There's a fob watch sitting in the Tardis with some big revelation in it yet to be revealed.

It wouldn't be a retcon to resolve a story he never bothered doing himself and never, ever will. Have Gallifrey being destroyed be a lie. Have The Timeless Child be a lie. Have Jo Martin be 16 or something, or a product of bigeneration. There are sooooooo many ways out of this mess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It doesn't even make sense that Jo is a previous Doctor because we saw Hartnell stealing the TARDIS.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like they're already out of it. The Toymaker taunted the Doctor in a way I read totally as that whole timeless child narrative is now fair game to consider manipulated narration.

I also think I'd rather it be resolved as part of 14's healing process, and 15 is free from all that baggage from the getgo, even if they don't tell us right away the resolution there. First series probably shouldn't have any mucking itself down in tangles of past compromises due to the nature of how the show has been run before.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

It doesn't even make sense that Jo is a previous Doctor because we saw Hartnell stealing the TARDIS.

I mean we've had a fake 'Doctor' before in Jackson Lake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIPb_r1wQo

Wouldn't be a stretch to write Fugi-Doc as another Time Lord the Master overwrote the personality/setup a fake Chameleon Arch
It'd be nice to get Martin back, and have another random Time Lord floating about

As much as it'd be nice to not have to deal with the Timeless Child malarkey you sorta can't avoid it the next time the Master rocks up with how the stories progressed.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The new season doesn't start till February!?! :gonk:

This is the longest ANYBODY has ever had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who. EVER! :cry:
Eighteen Two months is too long to wait! Bring back the Doctor, don't hesitate!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

It's the lovely kind of 'not a retcon' retcon. Like how Rey's parents being nobodies isn't retconned in TROS, because they PRETENDED to be no-ones so Kylo believed what he said, so it totally isn't invalidated. The Doctor got sent to live with some random Galifreyan family after they got mindwiped and then ran away when they grew up into Hartnell for Reasons.

Basically, it doesn't retcon the Plot, because it's written in such a way that nothing is actually contradicted, but it does clearly mess with the Story. (So many actual screenwriters, let alone 'content creators/critics' don't get that those two things are different)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 18, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's the lovely kind of 'not a retcon' retcon. Like how Rey's parents being nobodies isn't retconned in TROS, because they PRETENDED to be no-ones so Kylo believed what he said, so it totally isn't invalidated. The Doctor got sent to live with some random Galifreyan family after they got mindwiped and then ran away when they grew up into Hartnell for Reasons.

Basically, it doesn't retcon the Plot, because it's written in such a way that nothing is actually contradicted, but it does clearly mess with the Story. (So many actual screenwriters, let alone 'content creators/critics' don't get that those two things are different)

"Retcon" is a portmanteau of "retroactive continuity", so pretty much any back filled information counts as retcon, and not just backfilled information that happens to also be contradictory to the established story.

So The War Games, which told the audience that the doctor was a "Timelord" is an example of retcon, just as much as "half human on his mother's side" from the TV Movie is.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
watching a bunch of the 10 era and I had a thought: What are some NuWho villains you'd like to see RTD bring back? I know they are probably gonna cool it on the Daleks and Cybermen for a bit, but I was thinking it'd be cool to see some of the monsters from RTD's first run that maybe got one go around to come back. Personally, I'd love to see the Racnoss come back. Just loving scary big rear end spider people. (maybe a little less screaming than the queen was doing)

I know Chibnall used them but the Judoon coming back would be cool too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Boneless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wouldn't mind the Vashta Nerada coming back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm of two minds about The Boneless, I thought they were fantastically creepy villains but I also absolutely adore the Doctor "banishing" them and would be more than happy with that sticking.

The Racnoss is a cool concept that I don't think the show was really in a place to execute well: the Racnoss Queen, perhaps as a result of the limitations of her make-up and how they could shoot her, wildly overacts in a way that I found annoying, with the multiple camera cuts and her wrenching her head to the side constantly and falling back on hissing with her teeth clenched just felt cheap and campy in a not very fun way.

The Scorpion Lady from Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror had a similar issue which is why I think it was a make-up/shooting issue, unless the actor was trying to emulate the Racnoss for some reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing The Wire again, if only because I remember RTD once being asked about Big Finish and suddenly getting hyper as he talked about how they could do a story about The Wire: "Who is The Wire? Where is The Wire from? What is The Wire doing now? Tell me more about The Wire!" :allears:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm of two minds about The Boneless, I thought they were fantastically creepy villains but I also absolutely adore the Doctor "banishing" them and would be more than happy with that sticking.

The Racnoss is a cool concept that I don't think the show was really in a place to execute well: the Racnoss Queen, perhaps as a result of the limitations of her make-up and how they could shoot her, wildly overacts in a way that I found annoying, with the multiple camera cuts and her wrenching her head to the side constantly and falling back on hissing with her teeth clenched just felt cheap and campy in a not very fun way.

The Scorpion Lady from Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror had a similar issue which is why I think it was a make-up/shooting issue, unless the actor was trying to emulate the Racnoss for some reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing The Wire again, if only because I remember RTD once being asked about Big Finish and suddenly getting hyper as he talked about how they could do a story about The Wire: "Who is The Wire? Where is The Wire from? What is The Wire doing now? Tell me more about The Wire!" :allears:

The Stooky Bill stuff in The Giggle felt very Wire-esq and I agree, would love to see that kind of a thing again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd love to see the Racnoss again too, still scary looking, but on a planet where they fit into the ecosystem and it's about helping them with some issues.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Stooky Bill stuff in The Giggle felt very Wire-esq and I agree, would love to see that kind of a thing again.

Yeah, if I hadn't already guessed (and then the promotional material straight up confirmed it) that NPH was The Toymaker, then the episode opening with the first ever TV broadcast would have immediately had me thinking of The Wire, instead it just brought it to mind as I was watching.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I had recently rewatched Idiot's Lantern with Space Cadet and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Giggle too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think RTD's style could wring some good stuff out of the Boneless for sure

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

I think RTD's style could wring some good stuff out of the Boneless for sure

I feel like the Not-things from Wild Blue Yonder did a lot of similar stuff to how he'd handle the Boneless.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know that there's a lot of baddies kicking around out there that leave me wanting more. The Boneless were great, the weird presence in Midnight was great... but I think they've been portrayed well enough and would rather see something new. Maybe someday someone will have a great idea that utilizes one of them (surely somebody's got a pitch for a comic story with the Boneless, you could do some crazy stuff with that medium) but there's nothing really left hanging like the Ood was in The Satan Pit. Give me weird new poo poo!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda want to learn more about the adipose and also can the Slitheen be redeemed? Also, how are our Ood friends doing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda want to learn more about the adipose and also can the Slitheen be redeemed? Also, how are our Ood friends doing?

Well the Slitheen are just one crime family. The Raxacoricofallapatorians are fine on the whole.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rochallor posted:

I don't know that there's a lot of baddies kicking around out there that leave me wanting more. The Boneless were great, the weird presence in Midnight was great... but I think they've been portrayed well enough and would rather see something new.
I don't disagree that new interesting villains are cool, but how many great stories would we not have if people in power thought, "we already did The Daleks and Cybermen."

At least four!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have their been edible aliens? Let's get a food fight gone wrong because some weird food aliens invade by causing infectious food fights, causing chaos and food shortages from waste.

Possible Hook solution with imagined food starving out the aliens somehow.

Edit: have they done Peter Pan yet?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It honestly wouldn’t bother me to go an entire Doctor’s run without ever seeing the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, or Angels. If you’re gonna bring something back, give me the weirder ones or one-offs. 15 vs the Autons, 15 vs The Fendahl etc.

Or just more stories where the Doctor is facing off against a force or phenomenon that isn’t a singular antagonist or enemy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We've barely touched the potential of The Silence. The memory aliens, mind. Not the organization. They were dealt with in two episodes and there is so much potential there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LividLiquid posted:

At least four!

And weirdly, they're mostly Cyberman episodes!

I was thinking about this recently; I never hate a Dalek episode, but they're rarely appointment viewing. It's pretty hard to gently caress up the Daleks, but also pretty hard to make them interesting beyond just being a big scary threat.

Meanwhile Cyberman episodes are never just 'okay', they're always either great or terrible, but it's very rare they don't at least try to do something interesting with them when they turn up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Meanwhile Cyberman episodes are never just 'okay', they're always either great or terrible, but it's very rare they don't at least try to do something interesting with them when they turn up.
I never gave one tiny little gently caress about the Cybermen save for them arguing with the Daleks that one time until World Enough and Time.

Gods, what a pair of episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the Cybermen are always laughably terrible unless they’re the Mondas Cybermen. Then they are loving horrifying.

*Tomb of the Cybermen is an exception

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LividLiquid posted:

I never gave one tiny little gently caress about the Cybermen save for them arguing with the Daleks that one time until World Enough and Time.

Gods, what a pair of episodes.

Between that, Closing Time, and even Dark Water (couldn't quite stick the landing, but the idea was mostly there), I feel like the Cybermen are the classic alien that Moffat was the best at. Granted, it didn't always work--Nightmare in Silver was in there too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

We've barely touched the potential of The Silence. The memory aliens, mind. Not the organization. They were dealt with in two episodes and there is so much potential there.

I’m sure someone could do another interesting story with them, but for me personally they’re nearly ruined by how convoluted the associated Silence poo poo became during Moffat’s run.

They’re a creepy alien with an unsettling design and power, I don’t understand why they ever had to be more than that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They never did follow up on Gus from the other series 8 Jamie Mathieson episode did they? Though granted there's not much potential there that I can see. What was he trying to do? The reveal: make a big bomb or something. I can barely remember anything from the Chibnall years other than the cybermen wearing Time Lord head dresses, but there were probably some good villains in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ooh! Dreamlord! DREAMLORD!