Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lucifunk posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them all out.

Multiple good Superman books right now. An unprecedented era for DC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheeDCstan/status/1735747620390441357

This would also explain Babs as Batgirl too much in Batgirls if Editorial still thinks on some level only Barbara can truly be Batgirl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
babs has been part timing as batgirl for like two years in nightwing and batgirls though?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Like, I'm not loving Fire & Ice or Power Girl, but they're not unreadable, just not quite hitting what I want out of them.

Power Girl is awful for anyone who's ever liked the character.

'Paige Stetler' get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cass is still on the cover, so I’m fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
has babs even been in BoP?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I would say as big Chip Zdarsky fan that his Batman run has not been good. So maybe stay clear of that. Which is kinda insane because he just finished a fantastic run on Daredevil so I figured he'd be a slam dunk for Batman.

Eh, I dropped his DD really early. It didn't do anything for me. I've been sticking with his Batman, but regardless of how you think of it, it is absolutely not lighthearted by any stretch, so not what OP was looking for.

site posted:

has babs even been in BoP?

I feel like she's popped up, but not remotely as a major character

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Zdarsky's first Batman arc with his silly multiple self-contingencies coming back to bite him in the biggest way and then the second arc was weird but I thought ultimately okay, but yeah ever since then it's kinda been diminishing returns.

Frankly though his biggest sin for me so far is bringing in Joker who at this point I am just so loving done with and I wish somehow I could just ban writers from using him for like, I don't know, at least a year. Batman has one of the best rogues' galleries in comics but for some reason every modern writer seems to just gravitate back to that goddamn clown. And like, I know why DC doesn't mind, Joker's popular as hell, but gently caress I am done with his rear end, particularly the murder monster writers these days have turned him into. Jesus he could at least do something funny once in a while.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

babs has been part timing as batgirl for like two years in nightwing and batgirls though?

This is the problem, yes, because she overshadows the other two.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think so. That book had them all on equal footing. And I don't want to lose her and Nightwing going on adventures together.

But the writer should have the final say on if they want her to be more of the Oracle role or Batgirl role.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I agree mostly on Zdarsky's Batman. I liked the Joker book, but I'm good not seeing him in any batbooks for about 2 years. I loved his Daredevil, and really pretty much everything he writes, but this feels Morrison-lite. I read it right now in spurts since it's on the service anyhow.

I'd forgotten it, but I've really been liking World's Finest.

I didn't know Kelly Thompson was writing at DC now. She's my favorite writer working currently. She's also the only person to ever write Gambit with an actual human accent that someone in Louisiana might have.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Vandar posted:

Power Girl is awful for anyone who's ever liked the character.

'Paige Stetler' get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

I liked the whole psychiatrist sidekick kinda vibe, but giving her the secret identity of Reporter feels so dumb? Like already she has to deal with being totally under Superman's shadow and now you're just making her more of a cheap xerox?

She used to be a bloody CEO of a major corporation, which was a bit silly, but it's better than this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly it feels like they've flipped PG and Supergirl's personalities. Like, it feels like that book was pitched as a Supergirl series originally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think so. That book had them all on equal footing. And I don't want to lose her and Nightwing going on adventures together.

Having reread the run disagree on equal footing in the first third-ish of the run as honestly she takes the focus away too much from Cass and Steph whom it felt like the book was going to be about but do agree on Nightwing adventures.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait, in the Batgirls book? I would disagree with your disagreement. Even considering that she periodically suited up as a Batgirl in that book, they still very much depicted Barbara Gordon as being more Oracle than she wasn't, to the point that it usually felt like Steph and Cass were the :airquote:actual:airquote: Batgirls of the title and that Babs was doing her woman-in-the-chair thing nearly all of the time.

I think the general vibe at DC right now is that the ship has sailed on making Babs fully unable to walk again for the foreseeable future, but every writer and every reader just likes her as Oracle too much, so every book is just going to treat her as Oracle even if she's doing it while wearing the Batgirl suit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Finally got around to reading Kirby's jimmy Olsen run where he introduced darksied.
I love that he befouled a normal rear end wooden chair enough that it upset superman

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Wait, in the Batgirls book? I would disagree with your disagreement. Even considering that she periodically suited up as a Batgirl in that book, they still very much depicted Barbara Gordon as being more Oracle than she wasn't, to the point that it usually felt like Steph and Cass were the :airquote:actual:airquote: Batgirls of the title and that Babs was doing her woman-in-the-chair thing nearly all of the time.

Nah, I felt the Babs as Batgirl stuff dragged early Batgirls down. :shrug: She's all over it in the beginning, admittedly probably because of the movie Dave vanished for Tax Reasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, I felt the Babs as Batgirl stuff dragged early Batgirls down. :shrug: She's all over it in the beginning, admittedly probably because of the movie Dave vanished for Tax Reasons.

I'm also confused because I really don't remember her suiting up at all for the first arc? Hell, the bit with Babs that stood out to me was having her using a cane sometimes, and acknowledging that her injury, while better, wasn't just gone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, I remember that she went out as Batgirl sometimes, but the idea that this overshadowed Cass and Steph as Batgirls is kinda crazy? I'm checking my Comixology right now Babs literally doesn't even put on the costume until issue 5.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly it feels like they've flipped PG and Supergirl's personalities. Like, it feels like that book was pitched as a Supergirl series originally.

It 100% has to be, either that or Leah Williams just doesn't know anything at all about Power Girl.

My big problem is how meek she is. How subservient she is to other characters. How utterly spineless she feels. I'm not sure who Williams is trying to write, but it definitely ain't Power Girl.

(I have major issues with her wearing the Superman logo on her costume too but that's a whole different rant.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can I just skip Knight Terrors? Baffling idea to launch an event like two issues into a bunch of books across the line.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

Can I just skip Knight Terrors? Baffling idea to launch an event like two issues into a bunch of books across the line.

Easily!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I started Shazam last night. Good call. Since Covid 1st began I've had to become pretty much a shut in due to some severe immune system issues. I read a lot of comics, and sometimes I just need a lighter pick me up.

Again, thanks for the recs. They've all been hits so far.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I picked up the second trade of Ostrander's Martian Manhunter run at a second bookshop and I got to say I was really impressed with it. I generally love Ostrander's stuff but had never read his MM run so I went looking for more. It looks like the first trade is long out of print and no other trades were collected since the second one which, much like Ostrander's Spectre run, seems to fit pretty well with DC not collecting full runs of older stuff

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lucifunk posted:

I started Shazam last night. Good call. Since Covid 1st began I've had to become pretty much a shut in due to some severe immune system issues. I read a lot of comics, and sometimes I just need a lighter pick me up.

Again, thanks for the recs. They've all been hits so far.

It’s great to see Mark Waid rekindle his passion for DC. Worlds Finest: Superman/Batman and Worlds Finest: Teen Titans are both fun romps. Teen Titans just wrapped up this week.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Reading Batman:Cataclysm and lmao at this happening just months after The Clutch and the mass exodus out of Gotham. The majority of the remaining citizens have to be dead.

I know no man's land is next and Gotham is inexplicably rebuilt, but I just don't know who would even love there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Reading Batman:Cataclysm and lmao at this happening just months after The Clutch and the mass exodus out of Gotham. The majority of the remaining citizens have to be dead.

I know no man's land is next and Gotham is inexplicably rebuilt, but I just don't know who would even love there.

The US government abandoning Gotham is such a stupid idea but makes perfect sense at the same time

Spoiler for if you don't know how NML goes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Hootington posted:

There was a period in the crossover-mad late 1990s when between the universe-wide events (Underworld Unleashed, Final Night, etc.), Batman-title events (Contagion, Cataclysm, Legacy, etc.), and the usual day-to-day of the regular titles (serial killers, supervillains, mob wars, etc.) you wondered just how the typical citizen of Gotham wasn't completely paralyzed with CPTSD all the time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's another reason it's dumb that they decided all of his villains should have body counts at least in the triple digits each time they get loose.

Like come on, it's okay if the Riddler isn't a mass murderer and just robs places and leaves silly riddles.

Marvel does this so much better with the Spider-Man villains since only Carnage is the big mass murderer. The others might have body counts but they're nowhere near that high.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

The US government abandoning Gotham is such a stupid idea but makes perfect sense at the same time

Spoiler for if you don't know how NML goes

Ehh, it's just slightly more extreme than the real world US government's response to hurricane Katrina

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I think the only book I'm reading that even mentions it is Jeff Parker's Batman and Santa mini.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Ehh, it's just slightly more extreme than the real world US government's response to hurricane Katrina

I was there and was going to post just that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lucifunk posted:

I was there and was going to post just that.

Yeah, I've known a lot of refugees from that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm seeing a lot of positive reactions to this week's Wonder Woman on the Bad Place and on the other Bad Place (wow there sure are a lot of bad places on the internet rn), and on the one hand I get it 'cuz the stuff with the smol child is certainly very heartfelt, and on the other hand I feel insane because this is the first issue of King's run that made me really wish that I could, just, I dunno, reach into the comic to lightly edit...like, 75% of everything I see. :xd: All I have are nitpicks, really, but I have so many.

Right off the bat Diana not asking the parents (and everyone else) to just call her Diana instead of Wonder Woman is such an obvious mischaracterization. It's just...everyone knows she would prefer to be called Diana, given the choice. Everyone just knows this. It's popped up across like four different runs, even loving Geoff Johns knows this. Having the dad fumble around about how to address her and her not just assuring him that calling her by her actual name would be fine is so...incorrect.

I hate the scene of the Amazons threatening Diana with a fight, and her responding with bragging and put-downs, even if it's to diffuse a fight. Hate it. It triggers my Azzarello trauma so badly, this depiction of the Amazons being stoic glaring warriors while Diana has to be "the good one" in contrast to their weird antagonistic ways. Diana should be the best of the Amazons, yes of course, but she should still be an extension of the Amazons. She should rarely be in conflict with them, much less be on the verge of physically fighting them, and it should be a big deal if it ever happens. Otherwise, you spend all these text boxes telling about how the Amazons are loving liberated women, but then actually show them being trigger-happy anachronisms who Diana has to talk down all the time, mostly by telling everyone how much better she is than they are.

I don't know who this redhead is that keeps deferring to Philippus and calling her "my liege" and so forth, but it's certainly not Artemis. (Sidebar, it's funny how Philippus keeps having to pull duty as the actual leader of the Amazons, both here and in BoP, with Nubia off adventuring with her girl squad. If Nubia's gonna be gone so much, maybe they should just make Philippus their real queen and be done with it!)

Credit where it's due, seeing Philippus and Artemis here working in this capacity does inject me with a bit of the good ol' nostalgia seratonin, 'cuz it's so reminiscent of the Jimenez/Rucka era where they were the two Amazon heads of state. And it's clear that King himself is aware of those stories and liked their old dynamic well enough to put this scene in, as a treat. But just because he liked that dynamic doesn't mean he got it...remotely right? Artemis would never be so deferential to anyone, even Philippus, who isn't even her actual liege considering that Artemis is from a different tribe! Hell, Philippus isn't even the actual liege of her own tribe, which King is obviously aware of, so why is that line even in here! It's like he'd originally wrote a scene between Nubia and some random other Amazon, got the note that Nubia would be unavailable, acknowledged that in the scene, but then kept most of the same dialogue, including the part where a random Amazon would certainly refer to Nubia as her liege and arrraurttnmggggrrrc Tom I know you like appending any random character into your scenes regardless of whether they'd actually fit or not but was such an easy faux-pas to have avoided.

okay this next part I know isn't really King's fault because it's just kinda how the comics and stories have trended in the past couple years, but the idea that Diana actually dislikes her gods and thinks they're fools always rubs me the wrong way. I get it, I get that the modern vibe is that the Greek gods are big shitheads when they're not actively the bad guys, but I miss the days when Diana found inspiration in the patrons she worshiped...and I especially miss the days when her patrons actually deserved her worship. Historia got it so right and it's crazy that no one has been following its lead. Just do what that did!

The backup is cute, I guess. But mostly it just makes me wish we got King to write a Jon and Damian series because this almost feels like it doesn't even belong in a WW book. Jon Kent and Damian Wayne have had more dialogue in this Wonder Woman book than practically everyone except WW herself, and even that feels a bit precarious! (Okay, Sovereign blabs a lot too, but that's actually plot-relevant) More to the point, Lizzie has appeared in like five issues now and we've yet to see her interact with any character besides Jon and Damian (and...Killer Croc). Even if Lizzie ends up being Emelie's biological daughter instead of Diana's as is looking extremely likely at this point, why are these two dingbats always her designated babysitters instead of the fifteen or twenty other WW character who should, by all rights, be her family as well?

Also if Lizzie is thirteen in this flash-forward, that means Damian is...twenty-six? and Jon is twenty-nine?? Yeeah the art absolutely does not convey this lol, if anything they look only about two or three years older than they do now.

Anyway uhh hopefully the next issue makes me whine less

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 20, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe Lizzie ages extremely fast or Jon and Damian were de-aged because it makes no sense otherwise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think Jon would look too different at 29 than at 19 what with the Kryptonian DNA. There's a bunch of stories set in the future where it's established that Superman ages slower than normal humans.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

After reading Grayson and that one issue of Heroes in Crisis where Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are pals, I really wish Tom King would do some different kinds of books.

I more than often like Tom King stuff, but it is almost inversely proportional to how much I care about the characters it is about. The only thing he has done about characters I really liked that I really liked was Human Target. I love old JLI era stuff (and care nothing at all about the main character, who without looking it up I think is named Chase) and while the book was just a Noir Trope Parade plotwise much like Wonder Woman being paired with a fantastic artist really carries the title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

After reading Grayson and that one issue of Heroes in Crisis where Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are pals, I really wish Tom King would do some different kinds of books.

I more than often like Tom King stuff, but it is almost inversely proportional to how much I care about the characters it is about. The only thing he has done about characters I really liked that I really liked was Human Target. I love old JLI era stuff (and care nothing at all about the main character, who without looking it up I think is named Chase) and while the book was just a Noir Trope Parade plotwise much like Wonder Woman being paired with a fantastic artist really carries the title.

He has an independent book out today called Animal Pound about, well, here's the solicit:

quote:

When animals grow tired of being caged, killed, and sold off-it's only a matter of time before they've had enough… When an uprising puts a pound in control of the animals, they quickly find themselves as comrades, united against everything that walks on two legs. But with this newfound power comes a sudden challenge: how best to lay the groundwork for this new democracy as they write their first constitution! Discover an epic graphic storytelling event from celebrated New York Times bestselling, Eisner Award-winning writer Tom King (The Human Target, Love Everlasting) and New York Times bestselling, Eisner Award-nominated artist Peter Gross (American Jesus, The Books of Magic). King and Gross collaborate for the first time ever to bring this enduring Orwellian allegory to life for the 21st Century.
Maybe it'll be what you're looking for!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Endless Mike posted:

He has an independent book out today called Animal Pound about, well, here's the solicit:

What are the odds the animals descend into ethnic fighting and the ending is about setting up enthostates is for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Gosh, I hope it has some allusions to the 1917 Russian Revolution!