Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

theironjef posted:

Anecdotes and all. I've had at least two people tell me about the multiple paladins and bards they got to play using AD&D RAW 3D6 straight (which is A: not actually RAW, and B: the odds of rolling the stats you'd need to play as a bard are .0017% in that circumstance) which generally just tells me that a lot people would prefer to remember their old D&D experience as being "badass because we played RAW, the hard way" type stuff. Chances are your friends have selectively edited their memory to a more favorable one in which they weren't using a loose heap of houserules with a PHB precariously balanced on top.
This is a perfect distillation of why I stopped posting in FATAL and Friends. The repeat insistence that people who played a game and enjoyed it did not actually play it, or were suffering some kind of false consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

Depends on what you like. Some people want high level play for number go up, because number go up is inherently satisfying. In some games they gatekeep important tactical parts of the game to late-game, simply because they would break low level encounters beyond repair and they want the flow of the game to teach people the basics before giving them the tools to go off into left field.

I think the reason it went unremarked was because it was cumbersome as hell in play. I played a character based around it in a game back in the day, and got asked to not. It kinda broke the action economy because I was effectively a small squad rather than a PC, and the DM wasn't quite prepared to balance combat when the theoretical 'heavy fighter' with the tower-shield brings half a dozen buddies with pikes to stand behind him and cheap shot anyone who approaches the line.

Agreed, managing a goon squad is cumbersome for both players and DM with 5e’s action economy.

A decent solution would be to abstract a squad in a way that it just enhances a PC’s already exisiting combat abilities, like a magic item.

Instead of charting each goon’s actions separately, rule that their presence just gives the PC extra or more effective attacks. Instead of tracking goon’s HP, let the PC avoid damage from an attack by just declaring the goon bites it instead (like the redshirts on Star Trek who would die within a minute of landing on a new planet instead of Kirk)

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Gatto Grigio posted:

Agreed, managing a goon squad is cumbersome for both players and DM with 5e’s action economy.

A decent solution would be to abstract a squad in a way that it just enhances a PC’s already exisiting combat abilities, like a magic item.

How about we take that excellent idea and sabotage it by turning it into a needlessly complicated extra subsystem that uses different mechanics from every other subsystem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

How about we take that excellent idea and sabotage it by turning it into a needlessly complicated extra subsystem that uses different mechanics from every other subsystem.

I see you're familiar with 7th Sea 2e.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I see you're familiar with any TriTac game

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I see you’re familiar with Matt Colville’s work.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I see you're familiar with TTRPGS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm beginning to think D&D fans don't actually like D&D.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gatto Grigio posted:

It just occurred to me that you could apply the Genesys Minions rules to a PC with pretty much zero tweaking.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nystral posted:

It’s been forever since I last looked at a DMG but from what my brain can recall the 1st and 2nd ed DMGs both basically said “house rule everywhere there’s a gap” and an apocryphal story in my HS group was Gygax one threw the DMG at a convention game player when he questioned Gary’s ruling on something conflicting with RAW from the DMG screaming the book was named “GUIDE!!! Not bible!!!” Or something like that.

But yeah everything was houseruled back then IME mainly because by the mid 90s there was so much cruft and splatbooks in DND that it made trying to handle anything at table impossible without killing the mood to look poo poo up. So rule of cool was the North Star for our games! You know in that rose colored glasses rear view nostalgia way.
I'm pretty sure that's apocryphal. Gary went through an extended phase where he shat all over house rules, "Monty Hall" dms, and any groups that dared not play "true" ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (tm).

He's also the guy who had a vampire pc in an early game, so he's a land of contrasts. That was probably before all the cocaine, tbh.

Edit - then again, asserting his own rights to house rule, while complaining about other DMs doing the same, would be very Gary.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 18, 2023

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People want a brutally uncaring system that will reward the strong and punish the weak, but will work out fine for them personally because they are the protagonist.

People also have some contrarian opinions about RPGs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Post your favorite insane complicated rolling method someone you played with used when they could have just used an array. Mine is "3D6 down the line, repeat six times, arrange each set of six stats as columns in a 6x6 grid, choose any one unbroken vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

theironjef posted:

Post your favorite insane complicated rolling method someone you played with used when they could have just used an array. Mine is "3D6 down the line, repeat six times, arrange each set of six stats as columns in a 6x6 grid, choose any one unbroken vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line."

4d4+2 9 times, arranged in a 3x3 grid of columns Str Dex and Con and rows Int Wis and Cha, select a score in the grid for each stat, only use each once.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you're going to roll at all I genuinely kind of like "auto-max your main stat, fully randomize everything else"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're going to roll at all I genuinely kind of like "auto-max your main stat, fully randomize everything else"

The Gamma World 7e Special

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

theironjef posted:

This is what we used for 3e: Roll 4d6 drop lowest, 7 times, and drop the lowest stat. Do this twice and pick the array you like better, arrange stats as desired.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

theironjef posted:

We once did everyone at the table rolls 4d6 drop lowest and then wrote down all the results and drafted stats.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Looks like WotC had another AI oopsie

https://twitter.com/Indestructoboy/status/1736740332769771977

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It definitely "feels" AI to me, but the site he's using to detect it is really terrible at doing that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's an accident if they consistently demand time frames small enough or offer wages low enough that there is no way for a human to produce the art. It's just deniability. Same way as content mill channels on youtube always being plagiarists due to their turn around time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Personally I think it's really cool that people who lose an arm can just get a magic floating shield.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope I never accidentally pay for AI art, but at the same time I also kind of sympathize with the dogshit wages being paid for art in gaming. It probably is really tempting to use AI for the pieces you don't care about so you can earn a worthwhile wage spending the time and effort on the ones you do care about and roll the dice on not being caught.

It's probably easier to sneak by, too, if you aren't one of those artists who were really gung-ho about using AI because it's the next big thing or whatever. Seemed like most of the time when an artist was caught using AI in the past it was really easy to prove because the last dozen pictures on their Artstation account were explicitly AI-generated and also they teach a class on how to use AI for art and have given a TED talk on how AI art is the future.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
AI art sucks, but defrauding Wizards is awesome, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Take a few slot machine score lines, apply them to your array, and go wild.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've been playing it (not exclusively) for nearly fifty years, so I think I'm kind of fond of it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

This is what we used for 3e: Roll 4d6 drop lowest, 7 times, and drop the lowest stat. Do this twice and pick the array you like better, arrange stats as desired.

In high school my GM had us do 4d6 re-roll the lowest, then drop lowest, assign as you please. He really wanted people to play whatever without penalty & none of us were going to min-max. I once rolled 4 sets before I got a single +2. He still brings it up sometimes, lol.

No, I don’t know why we didn’t just do point buy with generous points.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Narrator: They did not.

https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1736807878122680374

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chakan posted:

Because that wouldn't be rolling randomly. And it would not have the chance or smokescreen of a chance to be excited about two or more 18s.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And it appears they do care if AI art shows up.

https://twitter.com/jam_etc_art/status/1736810838185619812

Though Taron here messed up, probably should have done the basic thing of checking with the credited artist.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Extremly cool environment we now have for artists, where they are simultaneously being screwed by AI being deployed to devalue creative labor, and can also be dragged at any time based on vibes and lovely unreliable 'detectors' until they can prove sufficiently they are human, by the same people claiming to be on their side against capital.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mycatscrimes posted:

Extremly cool environment we now have for artists, where they are simultaneously being screwed by AI being deployed to devalue creative labor, and can also be dragged at any time based on vibes and lovely unreliable 'detectors' until they can prove sufficiently they are human, by the same people claiming to be on their side against capital.

Yeah I had the same feeling when that tweet/video showed up. That image had been around for over 20 days at this point, and just cause of vibes, someone just decided to say it was AI and needlessly attack the artist.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
man, this situation sucks a lot. the responsible move is to take the servers hosting ai services behind the shed.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Chakan posted:

I hate d20 point buy for the same reason I hate any system that has shifting exchange rates.

I understand there are balance reasons for increasing the cost per-point the higher your ability score modifier gets, but I don't like it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I had the same feeling when that tweet/video showed up. That image had been around for over 20 days at this point, and just cause of vibes, someone just decided to say it was AI and needlessly attack the artist.

striking a blow against capital for the rights of artists in a way indistinguishable from just making it hell to be an artist

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
lumpen proletariat type technique

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It should have been obvious that it isn't AI art because it's technically impossible for AI art to handle that many accessories without loving up. But I do want to know what's going on with that dwarf's left arm unless he doesn't have one and it actually is a magic floating shield.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Halloween Jack posted:

It should have been obvious that it isn't AI art because it's technically impossible for AI art to handle that many accessories without loving up. But I do want to know what's going on with that dwarf's left arm unless he doesn't have one and it actually is a magic floating shield.

I think the shield is just blocking the arm.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing you're reading as the stump of the arm is the elbow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Halloween Jack posted:

People are using AI in a lot more ways that just "spit out .jpg and print". A lot of artists have been caught using it for 90% of the work then just touching up the obvious flaws manually, or using it for backgrounds then drawing their subject on top, etc. You can absolutely make a similar piece without it messing up because you can target specific regions of an image and make it generate a thousand samples for each element of the armor or accessories until you find ones that look ok for each part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

The shield grip is more obvious in the sketch, and I guess that it just got overlooked when adding detail because of tight deadlines or whatever.

Actually, I feel like a few things suffered between the final greyscale image and the colored one - including a bunch of stuff that got picked up as not making any sense by Twitter randos, like the ring gained a third knot and an armor plate became the mystery tassel. Or the squares on the shoulders becoming inconsistent across both arms.

In fact I kind of like the greyscale piece better and think the detailing went too far after that.

edit: In fact I think every single thing people pointed out as maybe being indicative of AI was added after the final grayscale sketch. Definitely should have stopped with the detailing a little earlier because it started to get a little sloppy.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 18, 2023