Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I didn't see chaos spawn until the last part of act 1, no idea cultists could start turning into them.

The balance around which place you go in act 1 is kind of bad, I don't really think there's any good reason to not pick up Cassia first. Even if you have an officer RT she's so uniquely helpful it's almost essential.

The Rykard intro setpieces up to when you meet the governor are pretty dense with enemies but more so just difficult to navigate.

Oh, and I think the Profit Factor accumulation is also missing or bugged. Mine is at 20 but there's a +2 from bullying the governor for support, then two separate boosts that are +5 and +3 of simply described as "other"

There's also an amusing moment on Footfall when talking to the Admech vendor. He offers to repay a 30 years old debt to the RT house, so your choice is +2PF 2 extractiums or +5000 AdMech reputation. Based on how costly reputation is that seems like a no brainer.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pentyne posted:

I didn't see chaos spawn until the last part of act 1, no idea cultists could start turning into them.

The balance around which place you go in act 1 is kind of bad, I don't really think there's any good reason to not pick up Cassia first. Even if you have an officer RT she's so uniquely helpful it's almost essential.

The Rykard intro setpieces up to when you meet the governor are pretty dense with enemies but more so just difficult to navigate.

Oh, and I think the Profit Factor accumulation is also missing or bugged. Mine is at 20 but there's a +2 from bullying the governor for support, then two separate boosts that are +5 and +3 of simply described as "other"

There's also an amusing moment on Footfall when talking to the Admech vendor. He offers to repay a 30 years old debt to the RT house, so your choice is +2PF or +5000 AdMech reputation. Based on how costly reputation is that seems like a no brainer.

I thought you also got extractors if you got the debt paid?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I thought you also got extractors if you got the debt paid?

You do. I want to say it's like 3, but given what an incredible pain in the rear end they've been to find so far, even that number might be worth it to take that option. It's certainly at least a very arguable choice.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Okay, I think Act 3 is my favourite one so far.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

You do. I want to say it's like 3, but given what an incredible pain in the rear end they've been to find so far, even that number might be worth it to take that option. It's certainly at least a very arguable choice.

It's only 2 extractiums, I mixed that up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Def would like to see faction rep easier to get. On Act 5 now and my highest was Explorators at 21

EDIT: Oh no! The Galactic Mommy has taken the field!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 18, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well, that was a conclusion for act 1. Polite of Aurora to come fight us at that point but I suppose he might have just been there anyway and had no reason to expect me to cheese him. All your companions' dialogue barks were hilarious. The real servant of Chaos was that motherfucker on the tower though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Well, that was a conclusion for act 1. Polite of Aurora to come fight us at that point but I suppose he might have just been there anyway and had no reason to expect me to cheese him. All your companions' dialogue barks were hilarious. The real servant of Chaos was that motherfucker on the tower though.

On replay I used both my pre-combat actions to get Argenta to merc him with a longlas before the battle even started.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, I rolled the credits. The amount of bugs I ran into in chapters 4 and 5 have left a sour taste in my mouth, to the point where I can't trust anything as presented in those chapters. I'm pretty sure Yrliet, Argenta, Ulfar, and Heinrix all had fully bugged quests, Abelard's didn't register properly for the ending tiles, and only Pasqal and Cassia got epilogues that made sense to what I experienced in game. I love the combat system, even though Owlcat has seemingly broken Arch Militant in the complete opposite direction--now instead of alternating between burst fire and AOE flamer shots not registering the difference properly, burst fire just gives stacks relative to how many enemies you hit, which when combined with extra turns and using free stack doubling power on each of those turns, I ended up with over 100 stacks of Versatility against the final boss and my last burst to kill it was doing 1000 damage per bolt.

Overall I'm just kinda said. Chapters 1-3 were great, and I was excited to play the whole time. Chapters 4 and 5 were comparatively bug-riddled slogs that sapped all the good will and became a chore. I hope they fix up the quest progression and rebalance reputation in the near future. The sheer power of arch-militant burst fire builds is oppressive, but I'd dive right back in if I knew I wasn't going to get derailed by bugs that prevent me from seeing the outcome of certain arcs.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SHISHKABOB posted:

Have any of you guys run into any Khornate demons yet. They're the only ones I haven't seen yet.

I've had a couple Bloodletters show up during Warp travel. Oh, and Idira exploded into one once, as well. Dunno if there are more, but I'm in no rush to try and meet a Bloodthirster.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rogue Trader: The Dru Khari Show

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I have no idea how Argenta's damage works. Her heavy bolter says it does 6-9 damage a hit (nice!). It actually does like 20-30, often more. It probably doesn't help that versatility is bugged and is increasing with every single AOE burst.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Argenta still can’t hit anything (except allies) with bursts for me. How does Recoil work?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I've had a couple Bloodletters show up during Warp travel. Oh, and Idira exploded into one once, as well. Dunno if there are more, but I'm in no rush to try and meet a Bloodthirster.

Spoiler for chapter 4: If you end up fighting Calligos Winterscale, you learn the reason for why he checked out and became a belligerent sport hunter ignoring his duty to the Emperor--homeboy went Khornate and his bodyguard goes all skulls for the skull throne when the fight starts.

The Lone Badger posted:

Argenta still can’t hit anything (except allies) with bursts for me. How does Recoil work?

It's the hit penalty when doing burst fire. I think it's just a flat subtraction from your roll to see if the bullet goes down the center line or deviates.

First rule of burst fire is to not burst fire when there are allies in your lane. Once you have a high enough BS and some items or perks to compensate for recoil (there's an item in later acts that just completely negates recoil which is hilarious, a weaker item that removes 15 points of recoil penalty, and both an item and a talent that cuts recoil value in half) your shots won't deviate nearly as much unless you're using the Rapid Fire ability, which makes it 60% down the center line, 40% to deviate either left or right, regardless of BS but doubles your rate of fire for the trouble. Which is great when you fight something that has a 3x3 footprint.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 18, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Janissary Hop posted:

I have no idea how Argenta's damage works. Her heavy bolter says it does 6-9 damage a hit (nice!). It actually does like 20-30, often more. It probably doesn't help that versatility is bugged and is increasing with every single AOE burst.
Emperor gets directly involved, and that guy's kind of unpredictable

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I also don't know whats going on with stats. My eyes kinda just glaze over the words and numbers. Working out fine on daring.

Pascal hits extra hard with melee weapons and I don't know why. :black101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

poe meater posted:

He seems to be doing some kind of… lightning thing? Possibly because he’s a robot?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to keep track of all the flat bonuses you might be getting, but that's pretty much what is going on. You're getting a flat +Damage from something (most often Versatility) and that isn't reflected in the weapon's stat card, and sometimes isn't accurately reflected in the damage estimate when you're placing the attack!

If you're doing a burst fire build, you basically don't care about anything other that rate of fire and armor pen as a very distant second. Hence why the heavy stubber can be viable--it has the armor pen of a Nerf gun, but it also has the best rate of fire in the game which means more instances of those flat damage bonuses smacking bad guys.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

poe meater posted:

I also don't know whats going on with stats. My eyes kinda just glaze over the words and numbers. Working out fine on daring.

Maybe because he's an operative and they work by applying the exploit status to enemies which makes the operative deal more damage to them each time ot stacks. That can wind up dealing a ton more damage on dudes with 4-5 exploits.

He might also be critting but idk if he's good at it or not because I'm not sure if the game ever explains them

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

deep dish peat moss posted:

:emptyquote:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Exploits stack up to like 99 or something crazy but how many would be considered "a lot" in your view?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you had 6 operatives in your party, all with Uncanny Sight, then each enemy would passively get 6 stacks per round. This probably sucks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

deep dish peat moss posted:

lol

poe meater posted:

When he has machine spirit up on himself, he gets a huge damage increase, which then gets increased by any other bonuses.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Decided to idly glance at the gear and abilities on the Farseer and I'm not terribly impressed with this interpretation of their abilities and weapons. I guess it's likely for the best that they can't murder the hell out of you like they probably should be able to, but still...

Mind War Does 0 damage, it just slows the target and disables Psyker abilities.
Eldritch Storm Does a whole 10 damage, albeit another 35 if you're actually still standing in the AoE 2 rounds later. Given how quickly fights tend to go, and that it being around is obvious, this seems... unlikely.
Their weapona Singing Spear is absolutely pathetic. A whole 4-8 damage, 0% AP, no sort of Force weapon effect, and the Consign line of powers. This is a weapon that can literally be thrown through tanks in 40k.

They're an annoying pest if you're just trying to gun them down normally, since they've got a flat 50% reduction to any hit chances against them and a third ability to nuke someone's dodge and deflection, but their actual damage is just sad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That boy got the machine spirit up in him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I got the improved heavy bolter on argenta and it basically takes the game over its knee and spanks it.

Paired with the backpack that adds fire rate and the gloves that completely ignore recoil for burst attacks from the same vendor, it's basically an "I win" button

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder how well the game's narrative/reactivity supports a "MC trying to use heretical powers with good intentions" playthrough.
Because so far most Heretical options I've seen have been just over the top evil for no good reason.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Well, I rolled the credits. The amount of bugs I ran into in chapters 4 and 5 have left a sour taste in my mouth, to the point where I can't trust anything as presented in those chapters. I'm pretty sure Yrliet, Argenta, Ulfar, and Heinrix all had fully bugged quests, Abelard's didn't register properly for the ending tiles, and only Pasqal and Cassia got epilogues that made sense to what I experienced in game. I love the combat system, even though Owlcat has seemingly broken Arch Militant in the complete opposite direction--now instead of alternating between burst fire and AOE flamer shots not registering the difference properly, burst fire just gives stacks relative to how many enemies you hit, which when combined with extra turns and using free stack doubling power on each of those turns, I ended up with over 100 stacks of Versatility against the final boss and my last burst to kill it was doing 1000 damage per bolt.

Overall I'm just kinda said. Chapters 1-3 were great, and I was excited to play the whole time. Chapters 4 and 5 were comparatively bug-riddled slogs that sapped all the good will and became a chore. I hope they fix up the quest progression and rebalance reputation in the near future. The sheer power of arch-militant burst fire builds is oppressive, but I'd dive right back in if I knew I wasn't going to get derailed by bugs that prevent me from seeing the outcome of certain arcs.

Yeah, the game was just straight up unfinished in the final acts and there's no way they didn't know that was going to be the case on release. I guess they were really hurting for money or they needed to get this out by the Holidays?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, the game was just straight up unfinished in the final acts and there's no way they didn't know that was going to be the case on release. I guess they were really hurting for money or they needed to get this out by the Holidays?

This isn't even the first Owlcat game that launched like that

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

This isn't even the first Owlcat game that launched like that

Yep, but at this point they are well aware of how their games are perceived at launch. I doubt they're ok with that and its based on them having to do it rather than some rationale that its a game ready for release.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

evilmiera posted:

Yep, but at this point they are well aware of how their games are perceived at launch. I doubt they're ok with that and its based on them having to do it rather than some rationale that its a game ready for release.

Given how WOTR sold I imagine they're fine enough with it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I feel that I'm hitting the point of rolling with whatever the game throws at me without trying to make sense of it. I can give Cassia+40 willpower before combat start with Time Master and Abelard's Brace for Impact giving free turns, but somehow that also causes her to get 25 MP. Or something else does, but I have no idea what.

Also, I think that tier 2 archetypes doesn't matter much except for the "physical" stuff like Astra-Militant and Vanguard, because Pascal, Cassia and my MC are just rolling with Tech, Navigator and Officer stuff respectively.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

what does short burning mean on torpedoes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Curious how soldier/selfish tactician would play. I doubt it would beat arch militant but it seems like it still would be a real force multiplier.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i need to have the wardens in my throne room executed, good lord

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

cuntman.net posted:

what does short burning mean on torpedoes

I think blows up after two turns not three.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I seem to be missing a planet from Sotto's Tomb. When I go in system there's an Ice World and Hulk, but from t he map it says there's an unexplored Desert World.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well drat, now that I've beat this I don't have any CRPGs left to play. Like I've legit played everything but the old Goldbox games and the like. There's a few I got far in but never beat, but I'm not so sure I'd want to try them all over again.

Well, guess its time to wait for DLC.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Well drat, now that I've beat this I don't have any CRPGs left to play. Like I've legit played everything but the old Goldbox games and the like. There's a few I got far in but never beat, but I'm not so sure I'd want to try them all over again.

There's always Septera Core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

evilmiera posted:

Underrail has some dlc if you haven't checked that one out