Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

If you shove every tadpole in your head you can find, you should die at the end when you order the absolute to kill every tadpole and then itself, because at that point how much of your actual brain could be left?

I mean in my Durge run I squided myself because I had been stuffing myself full of tadpoles anyways and it felt extremely appropriate for an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ChronoReverse posted:

I stuffed even my companions' faces with the worms during my honor run. Everyone being able to fly freely is amazing (along with Longstrider on everyone).

Having free flight on everybody is very cool (Lae'zel cleaned out almost the entire thieves guild by herself in one turn just because altitude didn't matter). On future runs I think I might avoid eating so many worms just because it trivializes things a bit too much. Or only worm up a couple of party members.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What you're saying is, I was playing on hard mode by not consuming any tadpoles at all. I knew I was an epic gamer.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tadpoling all the way through gets you the coolest ending in the game imo where you turn into an Illithid, save the world, and then immediately stab yourself in the gut fifty times rapidly while your party members watch on in stunned silent horror. I came here to rid the world of evil folks and that means All evil. Jaheira screaming out 'STOP THIS MADNESS' or insanity or w/e she says, meanwhile I've already made about 15 new holes inside of my squid guts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What you're saying is, I was playing on hard mode by not consuming any tadpoles at all. I knew I was an epic gamer.

Yes but also, the game is really easy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

tadpoling all the way through gets you the coolest ending in the game imo where you turn into an Illithid, save the world, and then immediately stab yourself in the gut fifty times rapidly while your party members watch on in stunned silent horror. I came here to rid the world of evil folks and that means All evil. Jaheira screaming out 'STOP THIS MADNESS' or insanity or w/e she says, meanwhile I've already made about 15 new holes inside of my squid guts

Have you learned nothing from Omeluum?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I'm doing my first honor run as wild magic sorcerer.

Summoning a hostile mephit (25ish hp, summoned another smaller mephit on its first turn) to join the first fight on the nautiloid was uh, yeah I can't believe I survived that. Good thing I had Us!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Entropic posted:

Shadowheart just decided she really doesn't wanna talk about those broken statues after all:

(the red message came up if I tried to click option 1)

I got the exact same thing yesterday, must be a bug introduced since release because I sure remember having that conversation in my previous playthrough.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Phlegmish posted:

You got the reward of not having your character's face look all gross during cut scenes in act III.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SlothBear posted:

I'm doing my first honor run as wild magic sorcerer.

Summoning a hostile mephit (25ish hp, summoned another smaller mephit on its first turn) to join the first fight on the nautiloid was uh, yeah I can't believe I survived that. Good thing I had Us!

At some point somebody is going to complete a solo wild mage honor mode run. They should probably get some additional bonus for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I must of missed a bunch of tadpoles because I only had enough to give Tav all the brainworms and one for Asterion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thundarr posted:

I'm pretty sure I know that location but I've never seen that NPC before.

That's just my Tav lol. It's next to the windmill in the Blighted Village, there's the destroyed statues behind it that trigger a dialog with Shadowheart if you don't know she's a Shar worshipper yet. Except it triggered but then I got a big red Nope any time I tried to click to advance the conversation and the only option that worked was "Leave".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Entropic posted:

That's just my Tav lol. It's next to the windmill in the Blighted Village, there's the destroyed statues behind it that trigger a dialog with Shadowheart if you don't know she's a Shar worshipper yet. Except it triggered but then I got a big red Nope any time I tried to click to advance the conversation and the only option that worked was "Leave".

I've gotten that too. I've also noticed a couple different questflow things in Act 1. In Grymforge for example, you won't get the telepathic "I'm dying" countdown message from True Soul Nere the first time you long rest. Maybe you don't at all anymore, I've only long rested there once both times since Patch 5. Also in Grymforge, the mould types are helpfully labeled so that you don't mistakenly think splint mail is the medium armor and scale mail mould is the heavy even though it TOTALLY SHOULD COME ON LARIAN.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
OK, new character for second HM durge attempt.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm sure some people know this but I'm pretty sure you can trigger long rest stuff by long resting and not spending supplies too. If you're worried about wasting supplies by resting too much you can always just do that to force triggers. Not that you should be worried about wasting supplies because even on my honour run I've found such a disgusting amount of them that it would be very hard for me to blow through them all even with resting liberally.

I'm currently wrapping up Act 2 on my hm run. Just have Halsin's quest and the temple/final brawl to do. Switched my Lock to 5 Lock/4 Sword bard (eventually 7/5 plan) and having an extra short rest is pretty nice as a lock I must say...plus all the other goodies of course. Haven't had any issues at all with fights in this chapter although I was able to persuade two of the bosses to kill themselves.

In general hm has been a similar experience to tactician for me in that once I hit level 5 I started to dominate most fights. The only one that's given me major issues since hitting lvl 5 has been the creche. The boss fight there was significantly tougher on hm, though part of that was I think I had a bad approach to it.

Bladepact Warlock has been a lot of fun even with no longer being able to stack a third attack on it. That Warhammer with the +1d6 lightning damage absolutely trucks as a pact weapon, and with sword bard I hit fairly hard with my off hand too. No idea what I'll roll if I wipe on this and/or if I decide to do another run.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It took longer than I care to admit to realize that my lockadin could use the warlock spell slots to cast Shield of Faith. But not as long as it took to realize that Shield of Faith kept dropping because she was the one using the necklace with Guidance on it. Also a fun fact: most effects / summons that last until long rest persist between distant areas like Rivington and the Lower City, but anything you're actively concentrating on gets dropped even if they have unlimited duration.

Now if only Hex and Shield of Faith weren't incompatible due to concentration rules.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thanks all for the tadpole advice. Will indulge.

What about the Ilithid checks? I know the first time you use the "Authority" check, it says something like "you've lost a part of yourself you will never recover." I assume it's the same as the tadpoles, that it's mostly for flavor but I'm curious if it affects anything if you just never do it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Thanks all for the tadpole advice. Will indulge.

What about the Ilithid checks? I know the first time you use the "Authority" check, it says something like "you've lost a part of yourself you will never recover." I assume it's the same as the tadpoles, that it's mostly for flavor but I'm curious if it affects anything if you just never do it.

I believe that's just flavor otherwise most folks lose it the moment you let Shadowheart out?

I've done two full runs without using a single tadpole and other than The Emperor giving you grief about it every now and then I didn't notice it ever coming up.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SlothBear posted:

I believe that's just flavor otherwise most folks lose it the moment you let Shadowheart out?

I think it's different because I'm pretty sure you still get the line about losing something the first time you command someone branded even if you use that method to release Shadowheart.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

lunar detritus posted:

I think it's different because I'm pretty sure you still get the line about losing something the first time you command someone branded even if you use that method to release Shadowheart.

It affects the progress of a specific quest, and doesn't seem to affect much other than whether or not one character gives you poo poo about not accepting the worm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Using the Authority checks will affect how warm the Dream Visitor is toward you in the first couple dialogues. I think there's also a limit to how many you can do per long rest. It actually becomes a decent strategy on Honor Mode when you need to save your Inspiration points for failed rolls, but it doesn't affect the outcome of your game in any way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Using the Authority checks will affect how warm the Dream Visitor is toward you in the first couple dialogues. I think there's also a limit to how many you can do per long rest. It actually becomes a decent strategy on Honor Mode when you need to save your Inspiration points for failed rolls, but it doesn't affect the outcome of your game in any way.

When I played my bard I refused to use the illithid dialogue checks and rp'd it as my bard looking down on relying on that as a crutch. This silver tongue is all I need, tyvm

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

It took longer than I care to admit to realize that my lockadin could use the warlock spell slots to cast Shield of Faith. But not as long as it took to realize that Shield of Faith kept dropping because she was the one using the necklace with Guidance on it. Also a fun fact: most effects / summons that last until long rest persist between distant areas like Rivington and the Lower City, but anything you're actively concentrating on gets dropped even if they have unlimited duration.

Now if only Hex and Shield of Faith weren't incompatible due to concentration rules.

Shield of Faith is one of those spells I often want to use because +2 AC is great but I find it hard to spare the concentration for it.

And the characters that I can spare the concentration on it for tend to not have Warcaster so they get tagged and lose the concentration too easily. Like sure I could have Minthara do it but I'm not usually giving her Warcaster so she's not going to be able to keep that spell up. And Shadowheart always needs concentration free to spam Spirit Guardians and/or Bless.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure some people know this but I'm pretty sure you can trigger long rest stuff by long resting and not spending supplies too. If you're worried about wasting supplies by resting too much you can always just do that to force triggers. Not that you should be worried about wasting supplies because even on my honour run I've found such a disgusting amount of them that it would be very hard for me to blow through them all even with resting liberally.

I'm currently wrapping up Act 2 on my hm run. Just have Halsin's quest and the temple/final brawl to do. Switched my Lock to 5 Lock/4 Sword bard (eventually 7/5 plan) and having an extra short rest is pretty nice as a lock I must say...plus all the other goodies of course. Haven't had any issues at all with fights in this chapter although I was able to persuade two of the bosses to kill themselves.

In general hm has been a similar experience to tactician for me in that once I hit level 5 I started to dominate most fights. The only one that's given me major issues since hitting lvl 5 has been the creche. The boss fight there was significantly tougher on hm, though part of that was I think I had a bad approach to it.

Bladepact Warlock has been a lot of fun even with no longer being able to stack a third attack on it. That Warhammer with the +1d6 lightning damage absolutely trucks as a pact weapon, and with sword bard I hit fairly hard with my off hand too. No idea what I'll roll if I wipe on this and/or if I decide to do another run.

5 Swords bard + some combination of Blade pact warlock and Oathbreaker paladin levels is where I'm gravitating for HM playthrough as well. It lets you be the party face and skills monkey (including sneak/sleight) very effectively and is a beast in combat as well. I feel like you could go 5 Swords bard + 7 of either or 5 Swords bard + 5 Blade warlock + 2 paladin and have it work nicely, probably depends a lot on gearing and where you're at in the game which setup will work best.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Shield of Faith is one of those spells I often want to use because +2 AC is great but I find it hard to spare the concentration for it.

And the characters that I can spare the concentration on it for tend to not have Warcaster so they get tagged and lose the concentration too easily. Like sure I could have Minthara do it but I'm not usually giving her Warcaster so she's not going to be able to keep that spell up. And Shadowheart always needs concentration free to spam Spirit Guardians and/or Bless.

I figure Minthara isn't going to be concentrating on anything other than Shield of Faith or Hex, and she's gonna be concentrating on one or the other at all times. Generally it'll be SoF since making it harder for everything to hit her has more of an impact than Hex in a fight that isn't gonna last more than two turns. That does limit which smites I have her use, but she doesn't really have any trouble killing things anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What’s the best bow build ignoring the hand crossbows? Gloom 7 Thief 5?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Swords bard is amazing for ranged builds. Slashing Flourish (Ranged) lets you shoot at two targets or twice at the same target with +1d6-10 (based on bard level) bonus damage on each shot. So you can double your number of attacks as long as you've got Inspiration charges to burn. You'll run out of Inspiration in 2-3 turns most likely but that's okay. Nothing can really match Swords bard for ranged damage output afaik it works kind of like a paladin smiting but for ranged, you can dump resources into a ton of damage.

What's the utility in going Thief 5 if you're not using hand crossbows? What are you using the extra bonus action for if not an offhand crossbow attack?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 17, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Swords bard is amazing for ranged builds. Slashing Flourish (Ranged) lets you shoot at two targets or twice at the same target with +1d6-10 (based on bard level) bonus damage on each shot. So you can double your number of attacks as long as you've got Inspiration charges to burn. You'll run out of Inspiration in 2-3 turns most likely but that's okay. Nothing can really match Swords bard for ranged damage output afaik it works kind of like a paladin smiting but for ranged, you can dump resources into a ton of damage.

What's the utility in going Thief 5 if you're not using hand crossbows? What are you using the extra bonus action for if not an offhand crossbow attack?

I think dash and hide so you can guarantee a sneak attack every round is why people do it but not sure since I haven’t done it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Oh yeah that makes sense. I haven't bothered with combat stealth stuff too much. 5 levels in Swords bard gives you 4 Inspiration charges and each of those buys you two attacks at +1d8 damage each, plus medium armor prof, two-weapon style for dual hand crossbows, and all the bard spells and utility stuff. Swords bard is limited by Inspiration charges but it's going to deal way more damage the first couple turns. Gloom Stalker also frontloads damage but it's a lot less in comparison (first turn special attack as a bonus action vs. 4+ free attacks using Inspiration charges). I feel like Gloom Stalker would make more sense to combo with Assassin maybe?

I'm sure Reddit or wherever has minmax builds but something like:

6 Swords bard (extra attack, Flourishes, bard spells and utility),
2 Fighter (Archery fighting style, Action Surge)
3 Thief (extra bonus action, 2d6 sneak attack)

is what I would do, not sure about the one remaining level maybe go to Fighter 3 to take Champion subclass and Improved Critical Hit or 7 bard I guess for 4th level spells. This would work with either dual hand xbows or two-handed ranged weapons.

edit: and wield this https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Knife_of_the_Undermountain_King I'm pretty sure it applies the crit buff to your ranged attacks and not just your melee when you have it equipped.

this setup should get a hasted character 10 attacks (12 with hand crossbow) with +8d8 bonus damage in turn 1, you can throw in a few elemental arrows as well (you can't combine them with Slashing Flourish). With the changes to haste in Honour mode, you'd have one less attack but nbd.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 18, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
More than 1200 hours and I just now found out who Shovel is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phlegmish posted:

having the party stop all movement when they spot a trap. The latter is really inexcusable when you realize Pillars of Eternity had a fully functional, customizable auto-pause system all the way back in 2015.

The infinity engine games could do this back in the 90s. Still funny though when Minsc blunders straight through a trap in his enthusiasm to hulk smash an evil doer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

bird with big dick posted:

What’s the best bow build ignoring the hand crossbows? Gloom 7 Thief 5?

Swords bard 6/Spore Druid 2/Champion fighter 4

The bard gives you flourishes, which you can use to make each shot become 2 shots, or gain 4AC, or teleport to a target. Plus each attack does an extra 1d8 damage.

The spore Druid has an ability that gives you 8 temporary hit points and as long as you have em, all your attacks do an extra 1d6 necrotic damage

The champion gives you action surge, and also makes you crit more often.

You can use a regular bow, or you can use hand crossbows to get an extra attack off each turn. If you’re not using hand crossbows, you can use your bonus action on a bard spell (since in act 3 you get that ring that lets you cast illusion spells with a bonus action if you’ve attacked.)

You can also brace with a regular bow to improve damage.

Regardless of choosing bow vs dual hand crossbows, you’ll want to dual wield 1h weapons - there are a number of them that give good passive bonuses like knife of the under mountain king.

edit: you also get to wear this magnificent beauty:

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Armour_of_the_Sporekeeper

why yes, I would like to give my entire party a special version of haste that doesn’t cause lethargic as a bonus action.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geekboy posted:

More than 1200 hours and I just now found out who Shovel is.

You mean Fork.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Act 2 Honor Mode has been a true disasterpiece so far. Despite my best preparations Isobel walked right into a megacrit from Marcus and was abducted, killing everyone in Last Light. Fortunately I had the good sense to speak to Dammon first to upgrade Karlach's heart, but RIP to everyone else. When I got to Moonrise Towers all the guards were already aggroed on me for some reason and I got the short "you know what, just kill them" cutscene from Ketheric. So I've had to battle my way through the entire tower, which has been a mess but also kind of cathartic. The only NPCs who don't want to kill me are Roah Moonstone and the drow with the blood fetish. Despite having 3 STR characters in the party Astarion is too much of a bro to make him drink her blood this time around.

It's amazing how short this act is gonna be with Shadowheart dead and Last Light fallen. It's quite grim but my party is gettin' real swole and can handle it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My TB Monk Laziel has saved my rear end three times already on this Honour run. Every time it was because I got in over my head and her infinite Hulk jumps managed to get her to safety and rez my fallen party.

One time newly rezzed Gale didn't appear with the party and instead where he died, which was right in a group of gnolls. My party just watched him getting his poo poo kicked in real time from a distance. Lol this game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Act 3 spoiler Killed Orin and got her armor, but something's fucky

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Have you learned nothing from Omeluum?

It's 50/50 Omeluum or Emperor. Not worth the risk.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Floppychop posted:

Act 3 spoiler Killed Orin and got her armor, but something's fucky

My last save is actually right after that let me check to see if this is hotfix related.

edit: I've still got stats on the one we looted maybe its things spawned after the patch

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Black Noise posted:

My last save is actually right after that let me check to see if this is hotfix related.

I've had other things show NOT FOUND, but it was random stuff like white leather gloves as decorations in an area so I didn't think much of it. It's been happening since the last patch.