Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Just saw this about Caroline Aherne (RIP) on BBC while browsing and it's timely since Royle Family came up https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67646274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So my (oap, not particularly tech-savy) folks have been asking about (legal) iptv, because they're sick of dealing with the aerial, and I know Sky has Sky Stream but is there something more in the freeview mold?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So my (oap, not particularly tech-savy) folks have been asking about (legal) iptv, because they're sick of dealing with the aerial, and I know Sky has Sky Stream but is there something more in the freeview mold?

Please, please don't get your non tech savvy parents sky stream
Just get them a smart TV with iplayer and itvx and stuff built in

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sky Stream but is there something more in the freeview mold?

BT TV and TalkTalk both go on the YouView platform, both require a working aerial currently.

These are likely going to go a bit up in the air with multiple things coming out soon namely freely and such as well as better multicast tech.

I guess the question more should be: What do they want?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To get regular, linear tv without having to deal with an ariel which is, charitably speaking, poo poo where they live.

The apps get half way there but it percludes the second string channels like Quest and DMax.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's also Freesat if they don't mind a dish on the house. (Some channels vary)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Taear posted:

Please, please don't get your non tech savvy parents sky stream
Just get them a smart TV with iplayer and itvx and stuff built in

Don't do this. My mum isn't tech savvy and anything smart about her TV baffles her.

She watches iPlayer through the Virgin Media box despite it taking half an hour to load because the home button on the remote must scare her or something.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

To get regular, linear tv without having to deal with an ariel which is, charitably speaking, poo poo where they live.

The apps get half way there but it percludes the second string channels like Quest and DMax.

Other than Freesat, BT TV is probably the easiest which since last I checked does have a internet only mode but I can’t say for sure what the channel lineup will be and will still cost money

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks goons who recommended Phoneshop. Show owns.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Taear posted:

Even at the time I was thinking "I know this is sending people up but I've never met these people"
Now I kinda have, but it was genuinely a bit too ahead of its time

It was extremely Shoreditch-media-set, made by and for members of that set, which is why it felt very ahead of its time. Then as the type of people it was parodying became more and more part of regular culture it started to make more sense to the rest of us.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
For all the poo poo they get about the remotes (now decent) the Apple TV is bulletproof in terms of being easy to use and getting updates.

Latest one lays iPlayer out really nicely on the Home Screen too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Total Meatlove posted:

For all the poo poo they get about the remotes (now decent) the Apple TV is bulletproof in terms of being easy to use and getting updates.

Latest one lays iPlayer out really nicely on the Home Screen too.

Yeah, the Apple TV is the best streaming box I've used. Also, it works pretty much perfectly with ExpressVPN. I use it for HBO Max, Hulu, Criterion etc without many problems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't do this. My mum isn't tech savvy and anything smart about her TV baffles her.

She watches iPlayer through the Virgin Media box despite it taking half an hour to load because the home button on the remote must scare her or something.

I work for sky, trust me when I say that the stream box isn't easy for old people (it's mostly the setup part but if you lose any logins or whatever you're hosed)
This isn't the products fault, it's entirely people being completely and utterly tech illiterate. Not even being able to understand how to sign in let alone finding out their forgotten password or whatever

At least a smart TV can come up with it immediately. Depending on the brand

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I bought my parents an LG TV to replace their 10+ year old samsung TV + Humax box last year, they're nearly 80 and started using streaming apps in anger for pretty much the first time, they really took to the magic remote

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, the Apple TV is the best streaming box I've used. Also, it works pretty much perfectly with ExpressVPN. I use it for HBO Max, Hulu, Criterion etc without many problems.

Express VPN have actual VPN now with Apple TV? I use a different provider and currently have the Apple TV on its own VLAN and that goes out to a VPN - waiting for it to have a TV App with proper VPN but happy with my current solution

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

This would be a fully just usage of the licence fee

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Muppet baking, with the puppeteers trying to follow the recipe with muppet hands, would be a thing worth seeing.

Perhaps expensive in muppets.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Starbucks posted:

Yeah, but do they mean Muppets or puppets? It's an important distinction.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Starbucks posted:

Express VPN have actual VPN now with Apple TV? I use a different provider and currently have the Apple TV on its own VLAN and that goes out to a VPN - waiting for it to have a TV App with proper VPN but happy with my current solution

I was in the middle of typing that there's no app, but it seems like there is now!
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/app-for-apple-tv/

I've always used the media streamer option listed there. Not sure how the app would work tbh, because I don't think you can have apps from different countries' app stores at the same time. I remember when I was setting it up, I had to register a new US AppleID while signed into my laptop with a VPN. That was around 3 years ago, though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Starbucks posted:

DHMIS > Muppets
Do that instead channel number 4

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

maybe they could do that but with spitting image type puppets

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Muppets would work best because they are used to going off script while staying in character.

Because for maximum chaos you would need to do most of it live.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'd watch the Swedish Chef's speech

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Feels weird for Channel 4 to steal someone's joke though, that's a classic

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd pitch in the full 150-some (?) just for Taskmaster but Muppets.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'd pitch in the full 150-some (?) just for Taskmaster but Muppets.

Same.
Animal has to be one of the contestants. And he hugs Alex every time at the start. And he angry shouts at Gregg.
Beaker another.
Fozzie too, but always fails by telling jokes to Alex.

It could be the best thing in existence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the Fast Show Christmas special, and it’s really shocking how badly it’s aged in comparison to sketch stuff from previous decades. Not even laughs for nostalgia, a shame as I loved it as a kid. I’m hoping the inevitable Channel 9 sketch makes up for it at least.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Watched 'Blood Actually' with Johnny Vegas, one of Mitchell and Webb, Peter Davison, Jane Horrocks, one of the Kemp twins and Lee Mack in a turkey suit with a combover and terrible glasses. It was incredibly batshit insane

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 25, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching the Fast Show Christmas special, and it’s really shocking how badly it’s aged in comparison to sketch stuff from previous decades. Not even laughs for nostalgia, a shame as I loved it as a kid. I’m hoping the inevitable Channel 9 sketch makes up for it at least.

Fast Show was peak catchphrase comedy. No real sketch half the time, just a hint of set-up and delivery of the line.

And it worked. Once a week only, easy mimicry in the playground and the office. It slid into the public consciousness without hitting the sides.

It doesn't work now.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Christmas Pottery Throwdown was very nice, as it always is. The two judges are just the sweetest pair of blokes.

Particularly liked Joe Swash being possessed by the ghost of Josiah Wedgewood and happily turning out 7 drat-near identical china bowls in 30 minutes, despite his only previous experience being more in the field of making Play-Doh dinosaurs.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I find I can still enjoy bad TV when it's well-intentioned (eg that Dr Who episode with the Meep) but I draw the line at Call the Midwife , which my parents have just put on the telly. No amount of uplifting messages can save this one, but they love it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Pottery winner talk none of us saw Hugh winning it. After the final judgement, we all had Joe or Alice as the winner

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Brassic Christmas episode was quite nice if a bit naff. Imelda Staunton is fantastic.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yeah, Hugh was an unexpected win here too. Interesting that the other thing he made.. a turkey? got memory holed.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

quote:

Particularly liked Joe Swash being possessed by the ghost of Josiah Wedgewood and happily turning out 7 drat-near identical china bowls in 30 minutes, despite his only previous experience being more in the field of making Play-Doh dinosaurs.

He seems to be one of those individuals who, on the face of it, is there on celeb editions of shows to make up the numbers, but who actually turns out to be annoyingly good at things.

He said he didn’t really cook and yet got to the finals of celeb master chef, all while attempting to redecorate his kitchen station each time he cooked.

It’s bizarre to watch…

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JOE SWASH

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Pottery winner talk none of us saw Hugh winning it. After the final judgement, we all had Joe or Alice as the winner

Still really not sure how that happened.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goatface posted:

Fast Show was peak catchphrase comedy. No real sketch half the time, just a hint of set-up and delivery of the line.

And it worked. Once a week only, easy mimicry in the playground and the office. It slid into the public consciousness without hitting the sides.

It doesn't work now.

Once computers get Star Trek voice activation working and up and running my voice password will be 'ef-ef-ef--ef-ef-ef-ef-ef-ef-ef-ef- Chris Waddle'

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have I missed something or are you on about the Christmas special from 1996?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I didn't like the Ghosts finale