Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah, Zach Wilson was pressured on 80% of his dropbacks yesterday. I don't think he had the opportunity to throw a pass from an actual pocket before he was concussed out of the game.

Do we think that Joe Flacco, who was repeatedly terrible as the Jets backup the past 2 years behind an equally bad OL, would be good now? No way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah my conclusion out of all of this is that the Jets probably would have been a 2022 Broncos-style disaster this year if Rodgers had stayed healthy

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah, Zach Wilson was pressured on 80% of his dropbacks yesterday. I don't think he had the opportunity to throw a pass from an actual pocket before he was concussed out of the game.

Do we think that Joe Flacco, who was repeatedly terrible as the Jets backup the past 2 years behind an equally bad OL, would be good now? No way.

I think the conversation is more in service of those who think Saleh is only a healthy Rodgers away from doing well and therefore keeping his job.

Obviously, glaring issues with other areas of the roster aren't exactly helping Saleh's case..

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The other side of the argument seems to be that he's only a Joe Flacco away from deserving to keep his job

The337th fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 18, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The337th posted:

These are all fine ideas, but I think it's very safe to assume that all the backups and free agents who've been serviceable would have totally failed with the Jets o-line in front of them

If you want to blame the current regime for positions lacking talent, those mean a lot more than which D-tier QB should have been picked up, or the reality that everyone's hopes and dreams were pinned on an ancient QB surviving behind that line

The line that absolutely embarrassed themselves yesterday was pretty much the line they wanted to go into the season with other than AVT. It's the worst line in the NFL and everyone knew it all offseason and preseason. It would've destroyed the season even if Rodgers didn't get hurt.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, that's the point

If Saleh deserves the boot for offensive roster failure, it's his o-line, not the lack of a slightly less lovely backup QB

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Like a true rapist, he continues to force himself on the league.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The337th posted:

The other side of the argument seems to be that he's only a Joe Flacco away from deserving to keep his job

The real answer here is that there isn't an argument for him keeping his job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jets have had 3 games under Saleh with his 30% winning% where they have been plausibly alive for a playoff longshot in December and they have ATE COMPLETE poo poo in all 3. He sucks. He's just as bad as any coach we've had including Gase and there is zero chance they will ever win anything while he's here. If they keep him they are punting good time and money after bad that they have already pissed away in the last 13 years.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Bumhead posted:

The real answer here is that there isn't an argument for him keeping his job.

yeah, that's the point

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There’s maybe 5 teams with an actual good OL and then a bunch of teams just doing poo poo with scheme and play calling to hide the fact that they’ve got huge liabilities at certain spots, or across the board.

The Jets O Line looks so bad in part because the offense coaching is bad and the offensive coaching is bad because they hired a loser fresh off of one of the worst head coaching jobs ever just because they didn’t believe Aaron would go to the only team that even wanted him without hiring all of his loser friends.

The Jets have had this pathetic, groveling, loser energy ever since they started courting Rodgers and it’s really no surprise that they basically gave up as soon as he went down because that’s what losers do, they give up.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Time to clean house.

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1736766443365048824?s=20

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm charmed by the near-perfect spacing of the oval logos on this chart

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

but zach wilson was just about to break out!

- a thing jets fan twitter believed

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
A lot of thorough cases condemning Saleh, but I will be the one defender that he made Zack Wilson an offensive player of the week for one week.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's as simple as his head coaching record is 16-32. That's a .333 winning percentage! Coaches have been fired for way, way worse. I don't care what the circumstances are, better coaches will show a lot more than 5 wins a year.

Hoping that Saleh will magically turn it around next year is damning the franchise to go 6-11 again. What's the point?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jets going 6-11 sounds pretty great imo

Nov 6, 2002

Kirios posted:

It's as simple as his head coaching record is 16-32. That's a .333 winning percentage! Coaches have been fired for way, way worse. I don't care what the circumstances are, better coaches will show a lot more than 5 wins a year.

Hoping that Saleh will magically turn it around next year is damning the franchise to go 6-11 again. What's the point?

He never had a better than like... the #28th best QB.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Jets are in a reasonable draft position to draft QB3 in the upcoming draft. Idk if that matters or not. Most coaching regimes don’t get three chances to get a franchise qb.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Short of Rodgers abruptly retiring any draft decision other than OT would be gross negligence.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Saleh just seems like a classic case of good coordinator, bad head coach. The defense is top shelf but the offense has been so wildly mismanaged on all fronts. I can see him sticking around and the Jets trying to give the Rodgers experiment one more shot next year with a focus on the O-line in the offseason, but it's that or fire everyone

Nov 6, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Saleh just seems like a classic case of good coordinator, bad head coach. The defense is top shelf but the offense has been so wildly mismanaged on all fronts. I can see him sticking around and the Jets trying to give the Rodgers experiment one more shot next year with a focus on the O-line in the offseason, but it's that or fire everyone

Things the Jets need:

- A healthy QB who is not a tomato can. So not Rodgers, not Zach Wilson.
- A starting tackle and better OL depth
- Another receiving threat
- A qualified OC

Would you trust Joe Douglas and Saleh to get those things?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Things the Jets need:

- A qualified OC

It's more than just a starting tackle. They need at minimum a LT and RT assuming your 2 building blocks are Vera-Tucker and Tippmann, but probably need a starting Guard as well since Laken Tomlinson is marginal at best and represents significant cap savings if cut.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Things the Jets need:

- A qualified OC

Most teams have a lot of problems going into an offseason and if lucky are able to solve most of them. Never all of them. Firing everyone doesn't fix those problems either. The Jets gambled for the Rodgers experiment last season and got snakebitten on day one, we can speculate about how the season would have gone with Rodgers back there but we don't actually know, and I can see the team deciding it's worth trying one more time.

I don't trust Saleh and Douglas to fix that but the decision isn't up to me, I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the idiot owners who would have to make that choice. Go for the Rodgers last run one more time or blow everything up and start fresh again? Hard to see which side they'll land on.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jets firing Saleh and Douglas means they bring in whoever Rodgers thinks is the best coach so lol if you think that'll go well

Nov 6, 2002

I think Saleh, Douglas and Rodgers must be a package at this point.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jets firing Saleh and Douglas means they bring in whoever Rodgers thinks is the best coach so lol if you think that'll go well

If you're handcuffed to Rodgers anyways, fire everyone but Hackett. When the team flames out next year, fire Hackett then.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Harlock posted:

If you're handcuffed to Rodgers anyways, fire everyone but Hackett. When the team flames out next year, fire Hackett then.

This sounds like a really elaborate suicide.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Peter King says Tomlin is on the warm seat: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-jake-browning-playoffs-fmia-week-15-peter-king

quote:

The seat’s toasty for Mike Tomlin.

quote:

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh. An awful decision by Tomlin with the Steelers down 11 with 18 minutes to play. Pittsburgh had a fourth down at the Indianapolis 39-yard line with a kicker who’s made five of six from 50 and beyond this season. But Tomlin bypassed giving Chris Boswell a chance to make it a one-score game on a 57-yard attempt in an indoor stadium—with a bad offense in a game he had to have. And on the play before, instead of choosing to get Boswell closer on third-and-14, the Steelers, in a big offensive hole, threw incomplete deep for George Pickens instead of just trying to get it closer to make it a one-score game. Bad day for the Steelers and their coach.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

At this point just fire everyone and tell Qron to pound sand

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

At this point just fire everyone and tell Qron to pound sand

Pretty sure that the Jets are committed to Rodgers cap-wise at least next year

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Can someone talk about Mike Tomlin's scheme background? Despite everybody talking about how great a coach he is, all I know is he deploys a 3-4 defense and usually has good defenses.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

- A healthy QB who is not a tomato can.

Sounds like the Jets need some kind of ball or orb. One that seems to defy expectations by being an exact mathematical match for an object of a round three dimensional variety.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Forrest on Fire posted:

Can someone talk about Mike Tomlin's scheme background? Despite everybody talking about how great a coach he is, all I know is he deploys a 3-4 defense and usually has good defenses.

He came up under Dungy in Tampa then did a year with the Vikings as their DC. He was actually a 4-3 guy for most of his career and also focused on the secondary.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Tomlin and Cowher are/were never really credited with too much of a specific tactical philosophy, even though they always ran a 3-4. Cowher's defenses were really innovative at the beginning but that mostly seemed to be given to the coordinators. They're mostly thought of as man-managing players coaches and I think part of why they can get kind of underrated(as much as a HOF coach and maybe future HOF coach can be)

Noll was before my time but I kind of suspect he was similar; never really hear too much about his playcalling or innovative ideas. Steelers have a type

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

What the hell is going on with Arthur Smith, did Bijan pee in his Cheerios or something???

Losing to this panthers team should be firable lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Saleh is absolutely getting fired. Anybody leaking to the media about how it’s not their fault is dead already. Rodgers never said poo poo about wanting to play for him.

I think Tomlin isn’t going anywhere this year but if the Steelers eat poo poo next year maybe. I do give him a ton of respect for wasting that cromagnon dipshit watts career though

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
The candidates for a job where you're handcuffed to a bad offensive coordinator and an aging quarterback who is going to get surly if you try and draft his replacement are going to be brutal.

I guess the best bet would be to hire an offensive minded coach like LaFleur and just have Hackett as an intermediary?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'd be pretty happy if Tomlin hosed off to the NFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah everything I've been reading about the Jets over the last couple of weeks indicates that Saleh is a dead man walking.