Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Martin released the first five books within a 15 year span. It’s been almost 13 years since the last book came out. The man has played us all like a drat fiddle.

The man has played us like John Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
He punches everyone in the nuts?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a little disappointed I never got to try the killer lemonade.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beachcomber posted:

I'm a little disappointed I never got to try the killer lemonade.

Last I checked it’s still available you just have to ask for it at the register

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope it sinks Panera somehow. poo poo hole company

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

420 can and should become a proper holiday, but to do so it needs to be about more than smoking weed. Like, we have a drinking holiday, St. Patrick's Day. But it's not just about drinking, it's a celebration of Irish-American heritage, there's rituals you can do other than drinking, there's a parade, it's a full spectrum holiday. Similarly, our eating holiday, Thanksgiving, is about family and togetherness, and the eating itself is highly ritualized. They need to figure out some non-weed stuff to weave into 420 so it can be a real holiday.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gripweed posted:

420 can and should become a proper holiday, but to do so it needs to be about more than smoking weed. Like, we have a drinking holiday, St. Patrick's Day. But it's not just about drinking, it's a celebration of Irish-American heritage, there's rituals you can do other than drinking, there's a parade, it's a full spectrum holiday. Similarly, our eating holiday, Thanksgiving, is about family and togetherness, and the eating itself is highly ritualized. They need to figure out some non-weed stuff to weave into 420 so it can be a real holiday.

Among some people 4/20 is already a holiday of the worst kind, usually not involving weed but meth a lot of the time

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

Last I checked it’s still available you just have to ask for it at the register

The one that's still available isn't the one that killed the first girl, that had waaay higher caffeine.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gripweed posted:

Only thing I could think is tying it back historically to when/where it was first cultivated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

I guess maybe including hemp for stuff like rope/clothing might work but even that's still touchy with our boomer-rear end, ignorant, reefer-madness-octogenarian idiotic US government

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I know some people get a little paranoid when they smoke weed, so we should just GMO weed strains so that it doesn't do that, and, instead, makes you wanna go to work, pay your taxes, and do what you are told.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aramek posted:

I know some people get a little paranoid when they smoke weed, so we should just GMO weed strains so that it doesn't do that, and, instead, makes you wanna go to work, pay your taxes, and do what you are told.

a smokeable stimulant, can you imagine that invention?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The one that's still available isn't the one that killed the first girl, that had waaay higher caffeine.

The charged lemonade? That’s the only caffeinated drink that I’ve seen them offer and I go decently regularly because I work at a mall and sometimes it’s that or the absolute poo poo-show of a Chipotle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chipotle is really good if you get their vinaigrette and add that to the burrito.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

The charged lemonade? That’s the only caffeinated drink that I’ve seen them offer and I go decently regularly because I work at a mall and sometimes it’s that or the absolute poo poo-show of a Chipotle

Yeah so they call it by the same name but the 400mg of caffeine version of the beverage has been unavailable for like 6 months now, replaced by one with a third less. They have successfully denied you the death juice.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Chipotle is fine as long as you realize it has only a vague, conceptual relationship with actual mexican food. Like what a midwesterner would imagine mexican food was like if you showed them a picture.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone getting hung up on authenticity is ridiculous

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone getting hung up on authenticity is ridiculous

I totally agree. People seem to forget something can be totally authentic and yet still be terrible-there's plenty of authentic taquerias out there that have barbacoa that tastes worse than Chipotle's, for example.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like Chipotle. It’s just that the one at the Mall of America is a complete and total shitshow. It’s constantly shutting down early or out of ingredients, and there’s ridiculous staff turnover.

However, exactly because it’s a shitshow, I can get short waits there because nobody else wants to eat there when 1/3 of the regular ingredients are missing (I typically only get rice and meat because I’m pretty picky)

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
It is weird when people use the Midwest as some sort of mythical 50s whiteness dimension. It's 2023 there as well. It has Chicago in it! I promise that even in bleakest Iowa people do not describe oregano as spicy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kei Technical posted:

It is weird when people use the Midwest as some sort of mythical 50s whiteness dimension. It's 2023 there as well. It has Chicago in it! I promise that even in bleakest Iowa people do not describe oregano as spicy.

Chicago’s relationship with the rest of the Midwest is pretty strained. People from Chicago don’t say they’re from the Midwest they say they’re from Chicago

The rest is true though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neither Illinois nor eastern MN are in the midwest

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicago’s entire white American-born population is people from elsewhere in the Midwest that wanted to move somewhere with more culture and stuff to do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kei Technical posted:

What’s even weirder is I never heard the terms Mideast or Midsouth or Midnorth. Just this virulent hatred for the Midwest. I assume, like almost everything, it’s due to racism

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kei Technical posted:

Honestly, looking at it from the outside, I think part of it is politics. I associate Midwestern states with full throated blood red Republican politics: attacks on LGBT people, rolling back abortion rights, giving everything away to business interests, etc.

So it's easy to fall into associating it with some sort of mythical 50s whiteness dimension.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Neither Illinois nor eastern MN are in the midwest

Incorrect, like the rest of your opinions

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

More people should watch eXistenZ

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Honestly, looking at it from the outside, I think part of it is politics. I associate Midwestern states with full throated blood red Republican politics: attacks on LGBT people, rolling back abortion rights, giving everything away to business interests, etc.

So it's easy to fall into associating it with some sort of mythical 50s whiteness dimension.

The Midwest is as politically diverse as any other geographic region of the US

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

The Midwest is as politically diverse as any other geographic region of the US

I think a lot of it depends on how you draw the regional line, but it's also a different thing. I said that I associate Midwestern states with full throated blood red Republican politics.

Here's an easy example using the Census Bureau definitions and presidential elections over the last 20 years:

By this metric the Midwest is way more politically diverse than the Northeast. It's also far more red, and so at least in that comparison I think associating the Midwest with Republican politics is pretty reasonable, and I would roll my eyes at someone making an argument that political diversity was a good thing comparing between the two.

From here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_election_results_by_state

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
By politically diverse I mean more than whether it’s often D or R. There was an attempt to ban abortion in Nebraska, but it failed, while a similar effort passed in South Dakota. The average Democrat from Minnesota is a pretty different thing than the average Democrat from Illinois, that sort of thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

eachother is one word, not two

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basketball courts should be tilted 20 degrees

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

In which direction?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Killingyouguy! posted:

In which direction?

So one of the hoops is higher than the other.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think they should raise both ends and have a dip in the middle. Like the ring at the end of Bloodsport.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Put the court on a giant seesaw and have the slope based on score differential to prevent runaway games. Every point your team is ahead by translates to one additional degree of incline.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

I think they should raise both ends and have a dip in the middle. Like the ring at the end of Bloodsport.

no that's too dangerous

Nameless Pete posted:

Put the court on a giant seesaw and have the slope based on score differential to prevent runaway games. Every point your team is ahead by translates to one additional degree of incline.

no that's too expensive

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
My Christmas is no less valid just because I made the conscious decision to live somewhere with a Mediterranean climate. Saint Nicholas lived on the Turkish Riviera and it's not like it snows in Bethlehem. Honestly, I think it's just a weird artifact of British Imperialism.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yule was celebrated before jesus got involved. Maybe not in the Mediterranean tho.

In any case it is a wonderful time to eat ham and get drunk. Thanks Jesus.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oldpainless posted:

Martin released the first five books within a 15 year span. It’s been almost 13 years since the last book came out. The man has played us all like a drat fiddle.

The series will never be finished. George will die without his great storyline resolved, just like most of the characters in the series. Life imitates art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

The series will never be finished. George will die without his great storyline resolved, just like most of the characters in the series. Life imitates art.

choosing to believe this quote is about a seinfield reboot that got cancelled because of jerry's pedophilia