Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a temporary stay. I see a lot of concern that SCOTUS may still ultimately rule in Florida’s favor when the case gets to them

Going to be fun to see what sort of dumb bullshit excuse they use to justify it while allowing kids to see R-rated movies with a parent/guardian, being allowed to play M-rated games...etc.

Assuming they don't go Full Puritan and nuke those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The rulings like this seem to hang between the two extremes of maximized corporate profit versus Puritanical societal control. Super awesome that it seems to just be one or the other.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Well states reserving the right to enact deeply prejudiced and inconsistent laws is deeply rooted in our history and tradition, so…

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going to be fun to see what sort of dumb bullshit excuse they use to justify it while allowing kids to see R-rated movies with a parent/guardian, being allowed to play M-rated games...etc.

Assuming they don't go Full Puritan and nuke those.

There's always the possibility of an ESRB/MPAA equivalent for books. :v:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ugarles/status/1727155665444147629?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Shocking

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1735381660009455995?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

... huh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can't figure SCOTUS out on gun stuff anymore. You would think that would qualify under the decision from last year that severely restricted what gun regs would survive a court challenge.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They just denied an emergency stay, the case hasn't even made it to them yet. Here is the article that contextless tweet mentions but does not bother linking to

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-supreme-court-declines-block-illinois-assault-rifle-ban-2023-12-14/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
okay yeah makes sense, there's no particular reason to drop a stay so people can buy an AR RIGHT NOW IMMEDIATELY IT'S AN EMERGENCY

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah, it's not a surprise, I admittedly was when I read the headline and then after further reading....was like oh, once it actually gets to them it's def dead.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
A preliminary stay would have been nice for what it meant about the merits of the case, but I wouldn't expect it from them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I assume everyone already knows but SCOTUS was asked to take up Trump's claims to immunity, with Trump's lawyers asked to respond by the 20th.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I assume everyone already knows but SCOTUS was asked to take up Trump's claims to immunity, with Trump's lawyers asked to respond by the 20th.

Wait, what happened?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wait, what happened?

District court made a ruling denying immunity, Trump appealed, prosecutor said “we all know where this is headed, can you just deal with it now so I can do the trial?”

https://www.scotusblog.com/2023/12/special-counsel-asks-justices-to-weigh-in-now-on-presidential-immunity/

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

And to be clear, Trump's argument here is literally (either, both, make a pick): "If it's the president, it's not illegal." / "The president can pardon himself of any crime, and I did."

Which, if true, would mean that Biden could personally kick down the door to the supreme court while carrying a gun, shoot all the conservative justices, and it would be fine. Which is why I doubt the SC would be interested in that precedent.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The only thing that can stop a bad president with a gun is a good president with a gun :clint:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Since the Supreme Court (of Minority Rule for Minority Rule) did this same poo poo in 2000, the current fear is that they will side with Trump but then rule that “it only applies in this one time lalalala fingers in our ears!”

Which basically means this country had a good run for a while but of course rich people ruined it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

Since the Supreme Court (of Minority Rule for Minority Rule) did this same poo poo in 2000, the current fear is that they will side with Trump but then rule that “it only applies in this one time lalalala fingers in our ears!”

Which basically means this country had a good run for a while but of course rich people ruined it.

Nothing would piss off rich people more than getting lumped in with Trump for this. Which is why I'm okay with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It turns out all the lavish gifts and vacations were to keep him on the court as many people suspected.

https://x.com/eisingerj/status/1736730240661991779?s=20
https://x.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1736777762185351579?s=20

A “Delicate Matter”: Clarence Thomas’ Private Complaints About Money Sparked Fears He Would Resign
https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-money-complaints-sparked-resignation-fears-scotus

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The idea that these immoral oligarchs pick up $274,000+ per year to rule over America and still have the gall to complain about their poverty and get further handouts from their political patrons should be offensive to every patriotic American. Their corruption is so blatant that if they weren't in charge of the courts for life, they'd be jailed immediately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Eh, they actually are underpaid relative to other attorneys at that level. If we only look at nominal salary and not, you know, all the grifting.

The real issue is the obvious partisan quid pro quo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It turns out all the lavish gifts and vacations were to keep him on the court as many people suspected.

A “Delicate Matter”: Clarence Thomas’ Private Complaints About Money Sparked Fears He Would Resign
https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-money-complaints-sparked-resignation-fears-scotus

Just his base pay as a member of the SCOTUS is something like 260k a year. Even if he and Ginni weren't corrupt as hell and never did anything like collect speaking fees, it's wild (but not unsurprising) that those two are loving terrible with money to that degree.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, they actually are underpaid relative to other attorneys at that level. If we only look at nominal salary and not, you know, all the grifting.

The speaking fees and book deals for high level officials are loving wild. IIRC, even low level nobodies can get thousands (and travel expenses covered) to speak at colleges and other places. People like a member of the SCOTUS can easily get 6 figures for a single appearance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

degree.

The speaking fees and book deals for high level officials are loving wild. IIRC, even low level nobodies can get thousands (and travel expenses covered) to speak at colleges and other places. People like a member of the SCOTUS can easily get 6 figures for a single appearance.

Oh yes but that's obviously grifting. Across the board.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

High level attorneys need to deliver on things for their clients. They spend their entire career building up to that payout. Modern justices are plucked from relative obscurity, they are chosen for political reliability rather than any legal capability, and their work product is generally derided for their legal incoherence. They have much more in common with a member of congress ($174k per year) than a white-shoe lawyer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh yes but that's obviously grifting. Across the board.

Oh definitely. Especially for poo poo like graduations because almost no college student cares to listen to some random rich and/or politically connected person talk at them when they want to go celebrate their graduation or be doing literally anything else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

. Modern justices are plucked from relative obscurity,

That's not really the case for new nominees. It was true for Thomas when he was appointed but these days new SC nominees almost always have ivy league backgrounds and extensive resumes. See: Ketanji Brown Jackson.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wonder why Clarence "I'll Retire Unless A Bunch Of Nice Strangers Give Me Millions Of Dollars :)" Thomas ruled that it's not a bribe unless you state on video that you're giving money for a corrupt purpose and you're fully aware it's a bribe

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

I wonder why Clarence "I'll Retire Unless A Bunch Of Nice Strangers Give Me Millions Of Dollars :)" Thomas ruled that it's not a bribe unless you state on video that you're giving money for a corrupt purpose and you're fully aware it's a bribe

He's a strict textualist, you see

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Papercut posted:

He's a strict textualist, you see

None of the financial instruments or transactions involved existed in the 18th century, so clearly none of them can be banned under the Constitution

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That's not really the case for new nominees. It was true for Thomas when he was appointed but these days new SC nominees almost always have ivy league backgrounds and extensive resumes. See: Ketanji Brown Jackson.

People know who Jackson and other newer justices are more due to social media and other changes in technology over the last 20 years. If Thomas was nominated today people would be no more or less familiar with him than they were with beerman or the handmaiden whether you're talking about the public at large or the actual people making the decision on who to nomination (Leo Leo and other Federalist Society garbage).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thomas went to Yale and was an EEOC chair and circuit court judge before being nominated, I don’t think that he was any different.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh definitely. Especially for poo poo like graduations because almost no college student cares to listen to some random rich and/or politically connected person talk at them when they want to go celebrate their graduation or be doing literally anything else.

I gotta admit that Robert Reich was actually a p good speaker.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Professor Beetus posted:

I gotta admit that Robert Reich was actually a p good speaker.

Harriet Miers was not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I feel like the tone of this thread has changed quite dramatically ever since our collective heads of government decided that actually, it is the founders intent that nothing ought to be done about open corruption at the top of the judicial system.

"Yes the tools of impeachment are there, but can we truly say whether any of us is an arbiter of law and justice?"
-Men and women specifically elected to legislate and oversee on matters of law and justice, 2022-2023

Yep, the very founders who pilloried this type of corruption definitely intended this to happen, checks out.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 18, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Personally at least, I love the idea of a fair and just system of laws - I highly admire the history of thoughtful jurisprudence, of passionate and considered legal debate, and the principle of equality before the court. I really enjoyed my legal studies in undergrad, and researching the history of major cases, their historical precedents, and the way they impacted future judicial opinions.

To have the Roberts Court consistently spit on all that, burn that legacy to the ground and replace it with a kangaroo court that issues naked edicts is deeply disgusting to me. The fact that so many of the Republican members are also patently corrupt is really only the cherry atop a broken and non-credible institution that should be dismantled and replaced. The group actively undermines the interests of American law and order, much as discriminatory police departments undermine public safety.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like the tone of this thread has changed quite dramatically ever since our collective heads of government decided that actually, it is the founders intent that nothing ought to be done about open corruption at the top of the judicial system.

Not really. Every May-June it was always ranting about the latest terrible ruling and urging some combination of the President / Congress / the States / the populace to rise up and reject it. Exactly how this was to be accomplished was usually underspecified.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

haveblue posted:

None of the financial instruments or transactions involved existed in the 18th century, so clearly none of them can be banned under the Constitution

thread title

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ulmont posted:

Not really. Every May-June it was always ranting about the latest terrible ruling and urging some combination of the President / Congress / the States / the populace to rise up and reject it. Exactly how this was to be accomplished was usually underspecified.

Well, all ways to do that are considered unpalatable. Court packing? Term limits? Changing the role of the SC? Gonna need congress to sign off on that which means getting rid of the filibuster. Gotta keep the filibuster to stop good idea because the bad people might do bad things with it gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe the stack of resumes is shorter for non white male conservative candidates? They had to reach pretty far for O’Connor too.