Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Only TTTs have night programs (and I don't know of any that are remote post COVID).

There isn't a happy medium of a respected and highly ranked school and the style in which you want to attend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
i guess while im here

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

Only TTTs have night programs (and I don't know of any that are remote post COVID).

There isn't a happy medium of a respected and highly ranked school and the style in which you want to attend.

GULC has a night program that’s pretty decent. Not remote, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are focused on practicing in small towns or regional cities a school with an evening program is probably fine. Gulc is an exception and is an ok law school

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

trevorreznik posted:

I, very stupidly, took a lot of night time classes my second and third year and got to know a lot of people in them. I was working part time during the week because I again, very stupidly, thought that clerking for my cousin's tiny law firm would look great on my resume. Neither of my parents ever had a resume in their life and I followed their bad advice on this, falling into the "working hard is what people want to see!" Trap instead of solely focusing on GPA.

Anyways, night class was miserable, and when people did attend, they were often half asleep or asleep.

I worked fulltime as a programmer and went to law school at night for four years. I really enjoyed my classmates and the sense that everyone had been through more important poo poo (marriages, kids, mortgages, divorces) than law school, so it wasn't as catty and backbiting.

I did well enough in my class that I was hired on to an Amlaw 50 firm. I have been steadily employed as a lawyer for...fml...17 years now, 10 of them in biglaw and 7 inhouse at 2 different places.

As you might notice, OP, I still think becoming a lawyer was a terrible decision and recommend that you avoid it. What do you think that says?

Sab0921 posted:

Hey now. My alma mater is still top 100. It ain't top 50 though, for sure.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ulmont posted:

I worked fulltime as a programmer and went to law school at night for four years. I really enjoyed my classmates and the sense that everyone had been through more important poo poo (marriages, kids, mortgages, divorces) than law school, so it wasn't as catty and backbiting.

I did well enough in my class that I was hired on to an Amlaw 50 firm. I have been steadily employed as a lawyer for...fml...17 years now, 10 of them in biglaw and 7 inhouse at 2 different places.

As you might notice, I still think becoming a lawyer was a terrible decision and recommend that you avoid it. What do you think that says?

Ha, no kidding. 17 years though is the perfect time to have graduated.

I still remember one guy - taught elementary school during the day in the burbs, drove to class through rush hour, and took care of newborn twins at night. He was very friendly and I have no idea how on earth he had the stamina to do what he did. Everyone absolutely respected him because God drat. Maybe he was one of those fabled 3 hour a night sleepers like that super jacked big law partner who posts here sometimes

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

trevorreznik posted:

Ha, no kidding. 17 years though is the perfect time to have graduated.

2nd-5th year associate during 2008-2011 was, uh, not great. But yeah.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Who hurt you? Was it law school?

Yes it was, for all of us

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

if I did, sorry to them.

See, this guy doesn't Love to Argue, huge red flag imo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hey guys, I just drafted my complaint lmk what you think heres page 1

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Oh we’re gonna get replaced by ChatGPT? I don’t know computers could develop substance abuse issues and suicidal ideations

Lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can GPT hand hold their clients and act as a surrogate therapist, but without the qualifications?

Yes? gently caress

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
hey good news just got a job recruiting for kirkland, great work life balance and competitive pay, whos/whose in? (req: 2400 hours)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
CarForumPoster, please use the proceeds from the sale of your company stake to buy your former partner a forums account. Unlike you, we may laugh with them. Also,

EwokEntourage posted:

the small legal teams eliminating specific, narrow types of fraud is[sic] called "regulatory agencies"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

2nd-5th year associate during 2008-2011 was, uh, not great. But yeah.

Could be worse. Could have graduated in that era.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

CarForumPoster posted:

Hey guys, I just drafted my complaint lmk what you think heres page 1

Missing gold fringe on the complaint

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

Could be worse. Could have graduated in that era.

Yeah that wasn’t great

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

trevorreznik posted:

Anyways, night class was miserable, and when people did attend, they were often half asleep or asleep.

I attended my first year of law school with a bunch of other working adults in various phases of their lives and this could not be further from the truth. But, like every phase of education, people take things for what they are. People who do not take things seriously, even at some low tier law school in the midwest (where I attended) should not be there, and should either go get an MBA or enter the workforce.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kalman posted:

Could be worse. Could have graduated

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Exodus1984 posted:

I attended my first year of law school with a bunch of other working adults in various phases of their lives and this could not be further from the truth. But, like every phase of education, people take things for what they are. People who do not take things seriously, even at some low tier law school in the midwest (where I attended) should not be there, and should either go get an MBA or enter the workforce.

That's interesting. I wonder if my different experience was due to senioritis vs first year excitement, the specific boring classes, or maybe just me. I did know one guy who signed up for night class with the express purpose of never attending, since he figured the curve would be easier. No idea why he thought that. He also failed the bar first time around.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

CarForumPoster, please use the proceeds from the sale of your company stake to buy your former partner a forums account. Unlike you, we may laugh with them. Also,

Gonna sue you for intentional infliction of emotional distress of the use of that [sic]

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Forums court, the Honorable P. Moscowitz presiding.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sitting in our Admiralty jurisdiction

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Nothing better than seeing the '81 posts unread' tag and knowing that someone just asked about going to law school.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Abugadu posted:

Nothing better than seeing the '81 posts unread' tag and knowing that someone just asked about going to law school.

I love lurking here, am not a lawyer, and knew exactly what was up when I saw that.

CFP is getting the usual poo poo. Seems gung-ho and has the resources, so, why not I guess?

But there's a reason most folks with these kinds of professional degrees don't recommend it - there's usually a less soul-crushing way to achieve a similar outcome.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
As a Euro goon, I don't get the thing about US law and lawschools. Here i went to a college (all of them are decent), got my degree and then there were plenty of ways to get ahead. Only the top firms (who all suck poo poo btw) would be looking at grades and stuff like extracurriculars, all the other firms or government organisations were just happy to have warm bodies to throw into the grinder. Is it that much worse or different over there?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Much worse.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Europe is its own whole thing.

Is it Germany where you can’t even get your law degree until you’ve worked two years under the supervision of a law firm?

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

I think it's part of the actual curriculum, paid for by the state. We don't have that here though, if you get out of college chances are you have exactly zero work experience and are in fact absolutely useless.

on the other hand, you don't have to speak German so it's not all bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Draadnagel posted:

As a Euro goon, I don't get the thing about US law and lawschools. Here i went to a college (all of them are decent), got my degree and then there were plenty of ways to get ahead. Only the top firms (who all suck poo poo btw) would be looking at grades and stuff like extracurriculars, all the other firms or government organisations were just happy to have warm bodies to throw into the grinder. Is it that much worse or different over there?

Florida, for example, adds 5-7k new attorneys a year. There are not 5-7k new job openings in FL for lawyers every year. This has been the case for decades. There is an ever growing supply of lawyers with an ever shrinking demand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With the “good” stock market maybe more boomer lawyers will retire.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Why would a boomer lawyer ever retire, they don't have to do any work or have any actual knowledge of the facts or law, they just show up and spout some bullshit, the boomer judge rules in their favor and they get a nice fat check.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida, for example, adds 5-7k new attorneys a year. There are not 5-7k new job openings in FL for lawyers every year. This has been the case for decades. There is an ever growing supply of lawyers with an ever shrinking demand.

Is it just this? because that sounds like a bogstandard school scam. How much could lawschool cost? let me just look it up... what the gently caress?!
Look, I've put myself into some nice debt but even I never got over 60k. And that is a shitton of schooldebt over here. If you need a proper job to pay of your debt then that loving sucks if there is a dearth of new jobs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Draadnagel posted:

Is it just this? because that sounds like a bogstandard school scam. How much could lawschool cost? let me just look it up... what the gently caress?!
Look, I've put myself into some nice debt but even I never got over 60k. And that is a shitton of schooldebt over here. If you need a proper job to pay of your debt then that loving sucks if there is a dearth of new jobs.

There’s more to it than just supply/demand dynamics, for sure, but the ratio of new lawyers licensed to practice vs the number of jobs open is real bad. There are far more lawyers hitting the job market than exist jobs to employ them. This drives down wages because with hundreds of people applying for every entry level position, there’s no need to offer a high salary.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Bear in mind, this can be pretty regional. There's a LOT more low-tier law schools in the east coast, south, and California than there are in other parts of the country. At my job we've been fighting to stay full-staffed with attorneys for about a year, but the market has gotten so much better and the law-school class sizes have gotten significantly smaller. We'd kill for a qualified young applicant looking to get into criminal law.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Smart people don't want to do poo poo work for poo poo pay comes as a shock to a bunch of people that look down on teachers, news at 11

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bear in mind, this can be pretty regional. There's a LOT more low-tier law schools in the east coast, south, and California than there are in other parts of the country. At my job we've been fighting to stay full-staffed with attorneys for about a year, but the market has gotten so much better and the law-school class sizes have gotten significantly smaller. We'd kill for a qualified young applicant looking to get into criminal law.

Criminal defense was my highest paying legal job ($50k/yr), but I also had to defend domestic abusers and cannot be that guy.

Plaintiff side litigation and dealing with rear end in a top hat OCs drained my will to live. I also made half as much as my PhD stipend now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve noticed that the legal markets in small and regional cities is not very similar to large cities

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

Criminal defense was my highest paying legal job ($50k/yr), but I also had to defend domestic abusers and cannot be that guy.

Plaintiff side litigation and dealing with rear end in a top hat OCs drained my will to live. I also made half as much as my PhD stipend now.

Good news I do criminal prosecution.

Please apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Good news I do criminal prosecution.

Please apply

But then I'd be a cop and ACAB.

I will admit that prosecutor salaries are up in FL from last I checked. In 2018 they were still around $40k/yr. They're between $60-70k/yr now depending on the location.

e: I'm getting $63k/academic year right now while I still have GI Bill so being a cop still doesn't pay better.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 18, 2023